Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cuss and Discussion of Skin Care items
olivarria
post Dec 21 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

I just got the Aztec clay masque at Whole Foods and will be trying it today - I've been pampering myself. I started using Mineral make-up, but yesterday I realized that it turned my face completely orange! I have to go get a lighter shade because my skin is fair. I also got new Aveeno clear complexion moisturizer to even my skin tone and it seems to work pretty well, also smells great.

I'm curious - what are your top all-time skin-care items? Mine are camellia oil (for scars and stretch marks), Biore pore-unclogging scrub (leaves my skin tingly), Biore strips, tea tree oil for acne, cocoa butter for my lips, and Nivea cream for my feet and elbows. This Aveeno soy stuff is also pretty high up there it's better quality than the cheap stuff I was buying.

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gluelita
post Dec 21 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #42

BUSTie

it looks like this has come up before but i can't find exactly where. anyway, lately i am loving the mychelle products. i've used cranberry mud mask, cranberry cleanser, skin clearing serum, pumpkin peel, fruit fiesta peel, and enzyme scrub. all were great. got my bonus and have on order: pumpkin renew cream, C serum, and splash! (which, from the ingredients, should act like an herbal Tendskin and is cheaper than Kalo).

i tend to like to make things if they are simple enough but a lot of the mychelle products use some rare ingredients (like totarol) and it comes out to be easier to just buy it from them.

found them cheap (and free shipping for orders over a certain size) at:
http://www.n101.com/

also, here is a recipe for body butter (very simple...2 ingredients + scent):
http://www.gracefruit.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=19

could probably sub cocoa butter if you prefer.

+Quote Post
kellebelle
post Dec 11 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #43

BUSTie

Coela, I feel for ya darlin', I was just in the hospital a week ago and the air in there turns my skin to sandpaper. So until I have time to get me to the salon for a pedicure (that's my treat when the term is over and exams are marked!) I'm using a nice thick thick cream with shea butter (THE best for dry, cracking skin) and wearing socks 24/7. Change the socks morning and night, of course, but make sure they're plain cotton socks and keep the feet WARM. The foot-less sock idea for dry elbows sounds perfect too, I may just give that a try. Other good brands: Burt's Bees, J/A/S/O/N/D, Glysomed, Spectro, or take a trip to the local natural foods store to see what they keep in stock. All else fails: Vaseline, baby. It wouldn't still be around if it didn't have some magic to it. wink.gif

--------------------
"I'll stop acting like a bitch when you stop acting stupid. Oh wait, you're not acting?"

+Quote Post
hotpink_mintchip
post Dec 7 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #44

QUOTE(coela @ Nov 24 2007, 08:36 AM) *

My skin is dry over all, but my elbows are so dry they just crack all the time. I've tried baby oil, I've tried vaseline,
I've tried moisturizer with aloe vera, jojoba, coconut, flax, I've tried lip balm, tiger balm, lavender balm, olive oil...
I've tried it all. They're still just as dry. Now I'm considering foot balm for cracked heels, and if that doesn't help,
then I'm at loss. IT HURTS! :-(

Have you tried Aquaphor, Neutrogena's Norwegian formula hand cream, A & D ointment (try the baby care section) or Bag Balm (sold in square tins at drugstores)? Shea butter?

Try this: Take a pair of old socks and cut off the feet. Apply your unguent of choice at night, after showering if you shower at night, and slip on the footless socks over your elbows. Put on your sleep garment of choice and toddle off to dreamland. This should help. I slip on old socks over my vaseline-coated hands and sleep with them on, when they are super dry. My husband laughs, but he loves how soft my hands are.

Seconding the oil application after showering - I spray on Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil all year 'round. Smells great, and keeps bugs away in the summertime, too!

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Dec 3 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

i do love the body shop body butter too.... mango is my fave. and the lip butter also works wonders, especially in the winter. and anything burt's bees seems to dry me up, except their coconut foot stuff, that's pretty good.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Dec 2 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #46

you know, i worked at the shop and i really, really want to like the products but... have you read the ingredients? i just can't do it.
(have you noticed the faint patchouli scent in the hemp butter? that makes me laugh.)

even worse is that fake body butter you can buy in the drug store. it doesn't even smell as good, n/m what's in it. ack.

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Dec 2 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(snarky7 @ Nov 24 2007, 10:41 AM) *
can't put it on your face, but i love the body butter from the body shop - talk about relief! for dry skin. the coconut is for VERY dry - i use it all over sometimes. ntm it smells like a big pina colada....mmmm....... wink.gif

i second the body shop body butter...mmmmmm....love me the coco butter one. mmmmm coco butter talk about moizurizing.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Dec 1 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #48

It's Calamity Jenn

Coela, maybe try to find a lotion with emu oil in it? Emu oil is a kick-ass moisturizer. I've been using it pure on my face with great results. It's reputed to help with dry skin ailments, like eczema, psoriasis, etc. I've had these dry, red, itchy blotches on the back of my leg that just would not let up. Emu oil has lessened the itch considerably, and they're starting to fade.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Nov 24 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

can't put it on your face, but i love the body butter from the body shop - talk about relief! for dry skin. the coconut is for VERY dry - i use it all over sometimes. ntm it smells like a big pina colada....mmmm....... wink.gif

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 24 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #50

hey kayla, you might be thinking of tahitian monoi oil. it smells teh awesome, i love it.

coela, if you pop into the natural health thread and post about your problem chacha may give you a heads up about the nutritional issues around super dry skin. it's not so much what you put on it but what you put in you when skin gets that bad. i'm about to head over there myself, my eczema is making a reappearance though nowhere near as bad as yours!
i think there's something not great about mineral oil too, i'll check it out.

+Quote Post
coela
post Nov 24 2007, 07:19 AM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

My skin is dry over all, but my elbows are so dry they just crack all the time. I've tried baby oil, I've tried vaseline,
I've tried moisturizer with aloe vera, jojoba, coconut, flax, I've tried lip balm, tiger balm, lavender balm, olive oil...
I've tried it all. They're still just as dry. Now I'm considering foot balm for cracked heels, and if that doesn't help,
then I'm at loss. IT HURTS! :-(

+Quote Post
kaylafresh
post Nov 24 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #52

BUSTie

Hey Dry Skin Winter Gals!
I say ditto on the baby oil, although if you can splurge, the Neutrogena is awesome and I alsways get asked about the scent - it's fantastic. Another way to go is to drop in your health food store - I buy sesame oil and there's a hawaiian oil that's name escapes me that's amazing. At night - Vaseline on the face - did you know Elizabeth Adren's 8 hour vream is almost 90% vaseline??? Why pay so much?! LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Nov 12 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #53

i tried the baby oil thing today and i can't believe the difference it made. i'm going to keep doing it for a week or two and see how my skin feels.

raisingirl - i'm going to have to try that neutrogena body oil. i bought baby oil that is just mineral oil, aloe and vitamin e. it does have fragrance but i kinda like the smell. it's very light. thinking of trying the lavender kind next time.

thanks for everyones responses.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Nov 11 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #54

PANTIES! ew.

Pugs, I've done the same thing, only with Neutrogena body oil (personally, I can't stand the smell of baby oil). I also continue to shave my legs in the winter -- the exfoliation plus the oil can halt the leg dandruff.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Nov 11 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm with candycane girl on the LUSH products, and Dream Cream is my absolute very favorite item that they have, and its my go-to savior in the winter for dry skin. It has a light herbal scent - a little lavendery, and it is well worth the price - a little goes a long way!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 11 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

I think my mom used to put baby oil on me when I was a kid. I think it works alright but personally I am a die hard Lush fan when it comes to moisturizers. They have a lot of great ones that people swear by like Dream Cream.

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Nov 11 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #57

So I get really dry skin in the winter. A friend of mine yesterday told me that after she showers she rubs baby oil all over herself. She said, after you turn the water off but before you dry yourself with a towel, while your skin is still wet, rub baby oil all over yourself and then dry off. I asked her if the baby oil just lays on your skin and then gets all over the towel and she said no. She said it's very wierd but the oil gets absorbed and the water just lays on your skin. She said it's the best thing for her dry skin in the winter. Anyone ever heard of this before? I think I'm going to try it.

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Nov 9 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm so excited. I'm sort of a hick and live far from any real city. I'm going to Seattle this weekend and I'm going to a MAC counter! I'm so excited. I love MAC counters. We don't even have on in my state.

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
corduroy
post Nov 9 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #59

BUSTie

hey diva, I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this, but this company

http://www.bushessentials.com.au/

makes the best moisturizer I have ever used. It's sort of expensive (I got it in australia, so I didn't have to pay to mail it to Canada) but it's so good that I think I might order more and to hell with the shipping. It's great for when your skin is transitioning from heat to cold.

this stuff is really awesome too:

http://www.natures-gate.com/shop/showCatal...sp?category=208

+Quote Post
divaintraining
post Nov 9 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

i just moved up to dc, from the south and AHHH my skin is SO dry! ive been using this hand cream at work from bath and bosy works and some clean and clear mosturizer on my face. i also use jergens body lotion, but man! my skin is all awful now!

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18, 2014 - 10:01 PM