The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yeast infection--experienced advice, anyone?
artstar
post May 26 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I'll have to revive this thread because I am having some vagina woes....again. I think it might be yeast but I'm not sure. I'll start here...

Since this past Tuesday my vagina has been burning on and off. At first I thought I might have a UTI because it hurt to hold it. When I went though, a lot came out and it didn't burn horribly, although I have been bracing myself because it stings down there already. There is no blood in my pee, and it's usually clear as day unless I have too hold it a long time, then it's just a tad yellow. Not cloudy either. I drink a ton of water, too. I did wear a particularly tight pair of jeans that day. Pehaps I just irritated my urethra? I had something similar to this a couple of years ago. After boyfriend and I had sex one time, it started. I thought it was just the condoms we used and not being lubricated enough. My vagina burned for about a month. I went to the doctor, had a pap done, all tests, etc. everything came out normal. She thought it was a bacterial infection just based on my sympoms at first but all the tests came back negative so she just chalked it up to being urethritis from not being lubricated enough during sex. It eventually went away, but now it's back. It's been burning on and off since Tuesday. Only thing I could think to have done to have irritated myself was wear a particularly tight pair of pants in this FL heat we are having.

I have no insurance and since I went last time and they didn't do anything, I'm hesitant to go to the doctor again. I ended up paying a small fortune for nothing. It did ease my mind a little, that's all though. Since the burning is coming and going, it's hard to tell if I need to go. Sometimes it burns really bad, though, then it will stop. I took one of those home UTI test kits the other morning and it came out negative. Perhaps it's yeast? I just have burning and not much itching. I'm thinking about trying one of those yeast infection test kits anways. Anyone else ever experience this? I have been researching it and sometimes I think I might have a condition called Vulvodynia. When I posted here a couple of years ago, I believe someone gave me a link to some info on the disorder. Anyone ever heard of this? If anyone can help me out please...ChaCha...anyone...

edited to add that my periods have been kind of lighter flow than usual the past 3 months, after being an even medium flow usually. I just thought that stress combined with a new workout rountine was changing them. Can a hormonal imbalance cause vaginal burning?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
obelix2
post Apr 19 2008, 09:57 PM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Kinkaju- I average about eight drinks in an entire year, so I'm pretty sure it's not a factor for me. Sugar and processed carbs, though...that's another story. If I could live on white bread, refined sugar and no protein, I'd be a happy camper.

+Quote Post
kinkaju
post Apr 19 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #23

BUSTie

I am curious if any of you consume alcohol on a regular basis.

The reason I ask is I've just been reading more about the relationship between diet and yeast infections. Of course the first thing mentioned is sugar, which as we all know feeds yeast. I have been trying to make significant changes to my diet over the last year and I have cut out a significant amount of sugar (I don't use artificial sweeteners either), but my yeast issues have stood strong.

But I also see something about limiting dairy consumption and ALCOHOL.

I don't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I do eat plain yogurt, cheese, and I do drink alcohol regularly... specifically beer, and have done so for years.

I had my very first yeast infection in college, back when I first started drinking regularly. Since then I began to get them more frequently and at this point "The Itch" has pretty much become something I'm always watching out for the first signs of, especially before my period.

I really do want to continue to make changes in my diet and lifestyle in the hopes that I will eventually hit on the right thing. I suppose limiting my drinking is next obvious choice on the list dry.gif but I am very curious to know if any of you ladies out there who suffer from the The Itch, also drink regularly like me. And/or do you consume lots of dairy or breads or sugar? But I'm most curious about the alcohol hehe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Celina!
post Apr 11 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #24

Hello all! Thought I'd report in on my progress and lo and behold there's already discussion relating to the topic!
I put off buying boric acid from the province over till I talked to my slew of medical doctors to see if I could get it locally. They said no-no to the stuff (of course). The last doctor I saw (doctor #5 for this problem, I should add) asked if I've tried giving my male the OTC medication. I say no, but tell him I dragged my male into the clinic to get thoroughly tested to make sure we weren't passing it back and forth. Tests came up slight traces of yeast but didn't indicate an infection, and topical inspection didn't seem to look like yeast (though he did have some irritation that yogurt cleared right up). So doctor #5 says who cares, try it anyway, and gives us both diflucan. Its now been over 2 months and no yeasties in sight (or feel I guess). This is the first time I've been yeast free for that long in over two years! I just wish I'd found wonderful doctor #5 sooner! Moral of the story, if the yeasties come back consider getting your guy treated even if he's completely asymptomatic. Don't go through two years of hell like I did.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Mar 30 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

((((OBELIXX!!!!))) No problem darling. I live to serve smile.gif !

So I posted about this in the BV thread, but its actually about a helluva yeast infection I came upon. I had to go to the doctor Thursday because I thought my bv came back. And it was bad, like to the point where it wasnt responding to even the boric acid capsules. Well, come to find out, its a very bad yeast infection instead of what I originally feared; in conjunction with some hormonal issues. Makes for a very unhappy Konphusion!!!!! The doc gave me Terazol (terconazole) cream to use vaginally for 7 days. Doesn't seem to be working, just messy as hell.

It makes me crazy trying to distinguish between the two issues these days. Now I can't really tell what is what. I dont want to keep running to the doctor every week because the boric acid or tea tree oil isnt doing anything. This is ridiculously frustrating I wish I could trade my dysfunctional va'gina in for a newer model!

Anywho, just wanted to share. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!

+Quote Post
obelix2
post Mar 30 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Success! I've had a yeastie almost every month (right before my period) for over a year now. I tried Yeast Arrest, but that shizz is expensive, so high five to Konphusion for telling me where to get the Boric Acid. Now I'm making my own BA capsules. I stick one up the twat when I feel the itchies start to come on, and keep it up for a few days. I also used to get a yeastie after a sex marathon, so now I treat myself with the BA after a few nookie sessions in a row.

I'm so freaking happy.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 22 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Your welcome, Simone, and good luck.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
simone8
post Mar 20 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #28

Thanks so much chachaheels! I'll definitely be trying one of the compounding pharmacies you listed. I'm using yeast arrest right now but I'd like to give straight boric acid a try since I've heard that there might not be enough of it in that product. I'm a bit nervous about making my own suppositories so hopefully somewhere like Smith's will make them up for me!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 19 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Try Smith's, just north of Yonge and Lawrence on the east side of the street after Teddington Park and Yonge. They make them up there and supply The Robert Schad clinic at the Naturopathic college (Leslie and Finch). That clinic also has a dispensary and you might find them there as well.

There's also Marky's at Bay and Bloor, and Hooper's Pharmacy at Wellesley between Bay and Yonge. I just did a google search using compounding pharmacies toronto and came up with a long list, with Smith's at the top--but only a small number will actually compound medications made with alternative medical substances. Boric Acid's considered an alternative medical treatment.

Good luck! Don't forget to consider the make-your-own boric acid capsule suggestions posted here. They're an inexpensive option and they're not as easy to use, but they can do the trick for a fraction of the price. Smith's sells both the boric acid powder and various fill-your-own capsules in their store.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
simone8
post Mar 18 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #30

Hi everyone! I'm new here but I've been dealing with yeast for the last few months on and off and I'm interested in boric acid.

Chachaheels...I live in Toronto. I'd love to know the names of the pharmacies that make up boric acid capsules for you. I believe you said they do mail order as well?

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 9 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #31

Most Likely Procrastinating

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 9 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeast infections take different forms. Why? Because they're systemic, not local.

Diaper rash, for example, is a yeast infection on skin.

So red, itchy spotty rashes are not uncommon. Note how all the tineas (fungal infections) all appear to be so similar; diaper rash, jock itch, athlete's foot, ringworm....these are all very close cousins to yeast, and yeast on the skin often looks like these conditions.

If you've already got an infection in the body then the skin's susceptible too--especially if it's been overirritated by something like a waxing, or even by physical contact with the yeast organisms in the body (from discharges, from sexual intercourse...you know).

Look: the more you tell me about this infection, the more obvious it is to me that it's internal, and has more to do with your digestive system than anything else. Something is setting that off kilter and this is one of the outcomes of that disturbance. However, I wouldn't rule out that the digestion problems might be related to something sexual that's taking place in your life, too. It's really not that rare that our sexual relationships have a deep impact on our whole lives, particularly if they're not fulfilling, or they're abusive, or troubling in some sense, or in some way problematic.

If you've been tested and you were "clean", and you haven't had sex since, or anyone you have had sex with since is also clean, the cause may be elsewhere--so you will have to think more holistically if you're looking for something to blame.

I'd still recommend taking the high organism count probiotic (yup, you have to do more than just use garlic and yogurt). If things persist on the skin I'd go and get it checked out for the sake of peace of mind. Everything sure sounds like it's yeast...but without actually seeing you there's no way to determine anything for sure. So let someone examine you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 8 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #33

ok......so i had a yeast infection, i treated it with yogurt and garlic, and it has finally calmed down (as of about a day or two ago). problem is, i still have a lot of topical irritation and i'm getting worried that it might be something else. the yeastie started with itching around my, ahem, back parts before it blew up in the cooze area. now i don't have any soreness or cooze issues, but the skin in my crack is all dry and irritated and cracking and red, and i've got this terrifying red spottiness on my inner thighs.

here's my rationale for it--it's lingering irritation from the yeastie. i got a bikini wax right when the yeastie started, so i'm assuming (hoping) that the spottiness is irritated hair follicles (and honestly, that's what it looks like, but there are a lot of them and i usually only get a couple).

PLEASE tell me that someone else has had this lingering redness/irritation after a yeastie and that i don't have to start FREAKING OUT about stds, which is ridiculous because a) last time i was checked i was clean clean clean, cool.gif the only person i was sleeping with both before and after that test wasn't sleeping with anyone else, and c) i haven't had ANY kind of sexual contact with ANYONE in almost a year and symptoms usually show up in less time than a year RIGHT???

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK ME
HELP
pp is closed until tomorrow or i'd be there, freaking out

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 7 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

If you've used birth control pills of any kind, or anti-biotics of any kind you will note that you will become susceptible to yeast infection symptoms before (and sometimes after) your period.

There is a connection to this occurrence in that many of the microflora we need in our guts have been killed off by the anti-biotics; they may also be rendered insufficient in their task of providing the nutrients our bodies need in order to deal with infections of all kinds simply by the altered hormonal balance medicines which are steroidal or hormonal in nature will cause.

If you're finding yourself suffering from a chronic and recurrent situation, physically you will want to rectify any imbalance: emotionally and mentally, you'll want to take a good look at your whole life to find out what it is that could be making you susceptible (weakened, overcome, debilitated---any relationships in your life which create this kind of situation for you? anywhere? work, love, family, friends, pets, anything? all worth a look).

To rectify the problem of the microflora, you'll need to replenish what's been killed off or at least add to what exists. Because you're already facing a yeast infection, adding yogurt to the diet daily or taking probiotics you buy over the counter just won't suffice. You really have to get the extremely high microorganism dose pre-and pro biotic formulations. They cost more, they have a short term use, they're often available in practitioner driven lines only (but now there is one formula that's targeted for consumers, mentioned below).
This will help restore what's been lost in the body which naturally keeps yeast overgrowth in check: when microflora populations are restored, the body is far better able to obtain nutrients from food, so it's properly and sufficiently nourished. When that happens, your immune system can effectively do whatever it needs to do to cure you of whatever you're facing.

Oregano oil (not the same as just plain oregano--the essential oils serve a curative or defensive or reactive purpose in the plant, that's why we use them for ourselves, too) doesn't do anything to replace your own microflora, but it does help to boost your own immune system responses to infection. The carvacrol in the oil actually stimulates a much more energetic response to the infection. Oregano oil can be taken in capsules (recommended) as the oil itself is very strongly flavoured and can't be used topically anyway.

Topical applications of yogurt, via douches or just insertion, can be soothing (but some women say it's also irritating).
Salt water baths (use at least one cup of salt to your bath water) also help a great deal and boric acid can work as an effective soothing treatment and cure.

Staying away from sugar and refined carbs helps in that it keeps you from eating a lot of depletive foods, but it won't make much of a difference to the yeasties unless you can eat a high protein-high fat-very low carb diet for quite a while. You don't just crave sugar when you have yeast because of yeast: you crave it because you're depleted, and often out of whack hormonally too. Chances are better that you're craving the sugar because the thyroid's over worked (usually underfunctioning, and desperately trying to start itself up again), or you've got a nice case of hyperinsulinemia going on and the pancreas is also working far too hard to maintain insulin and blood sugar levels.

This is chronic infection I'm describing here, and if you've had this for longer than a week or so, then it's chronic. It will take a while to get things to rebalance--a week or two of the super high organism dosing and topical treatments will make a difference, but three months should give you a chance to get rid of this thing forever, as long as all maintaining causes are removed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vianne
post Mar 5 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #35

BUSTie

QUOTE(theartist @ Mar 4 2008, 11:40 PM) *
Do you have any history of psoriasis? This is a bit of a longshot (because it does sort of sound like a yeast infection), but I have psoriasis, and all my doctors told me to stay out of the sun and stay in humid areas, until I found one doctor that told me just the opposite. Put me on light therapy, which has pretty well cured me of psoriasis for years (as in, I've not even done the treatment in forever in a day!). I live in a drier climate now, too, and that has actually helped me more, rather than hindered.

I know some people get psoriasis or some form of dermatitis on their genitals at times. Is this a possibility, you think? Any history of skin issues?

Also, I'd get a second opinion from a different gynecologist.

No...no psoriasis history. Maybe it was a yeast infection and my doctor just didn't care. He always tries to rush me out of his office and it's high time to replace him. I'm in the market...

--------------------
Rain on your wedding day is NOT ironic unless you're made of sugar.

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Mar 4 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

Ugh. I loved the Nuvaring when I was on it...until it started giving me chronic yeast infections. I never had one before that damn ring and now I can't seem to get rid of them. In August I had an unbelievably bad infection. In the past I always treated with yogurt and that worked fine, but this would not let up. I went to the doctor twice and got OTC medicine but still it seems to be persisting. I went to the doctor again today and she did a test and should call me to let me know what's up. I feel so angry at my body. I feel like i haven't had totally comfortable sex in months and I don't know how many more cycles of this I can take. Anyways, just had to vent. I'm on tricyclin low now. I wish I could've let my body heal without having to take more hormones, but because I'm seeing someone I don't want to take that chance. And to top it all off, I'm starting to get worried it could be BV now.
/rant

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
theartist
post Mar 4 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(vianne @ Mar 5 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Okay...this problem isn't as big as it was a couple months ago BUT it still comes and goes occasionally. Here goes...
Back in September, I think, I started getting really itchy... and I mean so damn itchy I wanted to kill myself. It was really red and kind of dry down there. When I went to my gyno I told him I thought I was getting a yeast infection and if not then something was going on down there. After ignoring what I told him he just wrote me a random prescription. This lasted for months. It just started going away a couple months ago. Here's the kicker. I went to Utah during Thanksgiving and while I was up there it went away completely. Just after a day or two. I get back home and before I take a shower or wash my clothes, it came right back. Now it only happens right before I get my period and it's not so severe but I still don't know what the hell was wrong with me. I don't know if it was a yeast infection. My doctor said it didn't look like one. It didn't smell and the only discharge I had was my everyday run of the mill discharge. Anyone know what this was? Or have a similar experience?

Do you have any history of psoriasis? This is a bit of a longshot (because it does sort of sound like a yeast infection), but I have psoriasis, and all my doctors told me to stay out of the sun and stay in humid areas, until I found one doctor that told me just the opposite. Put me on light therapy, which has pretty well cured me of psoriasis for years (as in, I've not even done the treatment in forever in a day!). I live in a drier climate now, too, and that has actually helped me more, rather than hindered.

I know some people get psoriasis or some form of dermatitis on their genitals at times. Is this a possibility, you think? Any history of skin issues?

Also, I'd get a second opinion from a different gynecologist.

+Quote Post
vianne
post Mar 4 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #38

BUSTie

Okay...this problem isn't as big as it was a couple months ago BUT it still comes and goes occasionally. Here goes...
Back in September, I think, I started getting really itchy... and I mean so damn itchy I wanted to kill myself. It was really red and kind of dry down there. When I went to my gyno I told him I thought I was getting a yeast infection and if not then something was going on down there. After ignoring what I told him he just wrote me a random prescription. This lasted for months. It just started going away a couple months ago. Here's the kicker. I went to Utah during Thanksgiving and while I was up there it went away completely. Just after a day or two. I get back home and before I take a shower or wash my clothes, it came right back. Now it only happens right before I get my period and it's not so severe but I still don't know what the hell was wrong with me. I don't know if it was a yeast infection. My doctor said it didn't look like one. It didn't smell and the only discharge I had was my everyday run of the mill discharge. Anyone know what this was? Or have a similar experience?

--------------------
Rain on your wedding day is NOT ironic unless you're made of sugar.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 3 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #39

thanks chacha, that's what i figured. i've been eating a lot of yogurt and probiotics, applying yogurt topically, and garlic uh, internally and things seem to be lessening a little. if it doesn't clear up in a couple more days i'll try to find some oil of oregano. do you know if regular oregano does anything? i have a little oregano plant...

also, i've found from other sources that it's best to stay away from sugar--do you know if that includes high-sugar fruit too, or is it just refined sugar?

thanks so much

ETA: oh hey also, how long should i expect this bullshit to last? sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 2 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

The over the counters are all antibiotics. So...really...I wouldn't recommend it. The simplest reason not to do OTC is because they seem to create a cycle of recurrence. You are symptom free for a few weeks, then just like clockwork, the yeast returns.

Yogurt douches (plain yogurt with live cultures mixed with water) can help topically; oregano oil capsules taken orally are a huge help, and high microorganism count pro and prebiotics are a great way to go to ensure that cycle of yeast infections doesn't set itself up. Salt water baths in warm or hot water also help to soothe the itchiness/burning/dryness. It is a good idea to avoid having sex until you're better; and then, avoiding lubes that are glycerine based (glycerine's too sugary and it can feed yeast, which may cause its overgrowth to take place again).

There's always diflucan, which you can get by prescription, but I've noticed the same cycle with that drug as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 22, 2014 - 09:12 PM