16 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academia nuts
cecilia
post Aug 12 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #81

BUSTie

QUOTE(ululah @ Aug 11 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Are you still reading this thread, crinoline? I am working towards law school but I'm not there yet.

I just graduated law school, if there's anything you want to know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Aug 11 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #82

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Just a quick vent. My school encouraged me to order my text books early to get the best prices. Well, wouldn't that have been easier if they would post the damn book lists by now?

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
ululah
post Aug 11 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #83

BUSTie

QUOTE(crinoline @ Dec 4 2007, 01:48 PM) *
Any Law school Busties out there?

Are you still reading this thread, crinoline? I am working towards law school but I'm not there yet.

+Quote Post
kissmeducky
post Aug 11 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #84

BUSTie

Thanks for the advice! I think that I will probably end up starting work before considering getting an MA again. I've never been one to do things just to stuff my resume and if an MA isn't as persuasive in the job search then it doesn't seem entirely worth it right now.

--------------------
www.audreymonroe.blogspot.com

www.kissmeducky.etsy.com

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 11 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #85

it's cards on the table time

(((bun))) Do you have any connections or friends of friends working in publishing? Alternatively you could try openings specifically for recent graduates... I'm sure they'd be happy to have you w/ your MA!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 11 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #86

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

QUOTE(sybarite @ Aug 10 2008, 08:20 PM) *
As I'm sure you're aware, journalism and publishing (areas I'm guessing you want to work in) are already extremely competitive, and people with experience are far preferable to those without it, even if they have a Master's.

Hah. As somebody who is trying to get into the publishing industry with a Master's and no work experience, I can testify that the above is true.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 10 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #87

it's cards on the table time

Kissmeducky, I totally agree you should try and get some work experience under your belt before considering an MA. As I'm sure you're aware, journalism and publishing (areas I'm guessing you want to work in) are already extremely competitive, and people with experience are far preferable to those without it, even if they have a Master's. I would try and break into the industries you're interested in first, and then re-consider your options.

+Quote Post
cecilia
post Aug 2 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #88

BUSTie

Just my two cents, but maybe you should consider just working for a bit? As you are working, you may develop a better idea of the direction you want to take and what degree would be most beneficial. Plus, moving to a new city and starting a new job will be a big transition, maybe you should hold off adding anything else to your plate just yet. Graduate school is very expensive and involves a lot of hard work. It might be better to wait until you have a clear picture of what you want to do. Congratulations on graduating!

+Quote Post
kissmeducky
post Jul 28 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #89

BUSTie

I'm going to have a BFA in Writing and Publishing with a concentration in Magazines. I'm graduating a year early so I'm already thinking about post-graduate plans. I want to move to NYC to start up my career and I've been kind of considering getting a masters. I'm just not sure if there's really a point in all the fields I'd be interested in and honestly I have enough faith in the education I'm getting now (plus the experiences of future internships and jobs) that I think I'd learn everything I'd really need to know and that grad school would just be a waste of time and money.

And what would I go for? Writing? I've been taking writing classes since 3rd grade plus I'm kind of a natural at it. English? No, I don't want to be an English major and just read and write essays on books. Publishing? Again, I'm pretty sure I would learn all that already. If anything I'd consider something in marketing or business mainly because it would be a helpful supplement to my education and future goals, not necessarily because I'm really interested in it.

--------------------
www.audreymonroe.blogspot.com

www.kissmeducky.etsy.com

+Quote Post
likeanyother
post Jul 7 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #90

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks kitten, it does! I'll probably have to do the same thing as far as using my employers for references, since it's been a long time since I graduated, and I'm not even planning on applying to grad schools for another year or so. I too will be going for something totally different from my Anthro degree and the one professor who was my "mentor" or whatever was likewise kinda disappointed that I didn't pursue the field and I haven't talked to him pretty much since I graduated. Ah well.

Good luck to ya kitten!

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jul 7 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #91

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

QUOTE(likeanyother @ Jun 5 2008, 11:52 AM) *
Question, has anybody taken the GRE semi-recently? Any advice? Book recommendations?

kittenb - if you happen to read this, I see from the archives that you went to grad school after a bit of a hiatus, did you find it hard to get in because it had been so long since your undergrad? Did you seek out your old profs for references? If not, who did you use?

Also, just lookin' for any advice anyone may have regarding grad school in general.... thanks!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I am still getting into the habit of thinking of myself as a student.

I will be starting classes in September. I don't think the time off made it harder for me to get into a school. I was rejected from my first choice but my second seemed to value the work time that I have established.
I did not use any old professors as references. My undergrad is a BFA in Theater and I have lost contact with all of them. Actually the only teacher I saw since graduaction in 1997 seemed pretty dissapointed in me and the way I turned out career-wise so the last thing I would want to do now would be ask a favor. dry.gif I used my employers. They know me really well and are in the field I'll be studying.

Oh and I didn't have to take the GRE. Thank the gods!
I hope this helps!

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
lananans
post Jul 4 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm with you on the whole no rush to decide thing. I want to get a masters, but at this point I just don't think I have the energy, really.

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Jul 1 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #93

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for asking lananans. The end of school was a bit of a struggle. A whole bunch of things were happening in my personal life at the same time so I ended up finishing all my assignments on April 21st and leaving for England on April 23rd. It was nutso but it all got finished. And I did get that job! They're really happy to have me doing it and I start on the 7th. I also got a huge pay raise (since i've been working there for 3 years) and I'm working in an even better location than I thought. biggrin.gif

Last year I really thought I would go straight to grad school but now I'm thinking I'll be taking at least 2 years, that is if I go back at all. I have a feeling I'll be with the Women's Centre where I work for a long time so I don't know if I'll feel the need to go and get a masters. But we'll see. I haven't even turned 23 yet so I've got time to decide.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
faerietails2
post Jul 1 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #94

donut-lovin' heathen

(((((congrats lananans!!)))))

I just mailed off my application for alternative teacher certification today, actually. I have a BA in Philosophy & English and a MA in women's history...but finding a job has been completely, utterly agonizing. I graduated last May and I'm STILL looking for a "real" job while working in a coffee shop. It's pretty awful, and now I have to move back home and try to do public school teaching, which was my Plan Z or something. I sooooo don't want to do it. Being a full-time public school teacher was never on my radar of things I wanted to do in life.

But in Texas, if you're highly qualified (which is basically anyone with a degree with 24+ hours in a content area), you can register for an alternative certification program and get certified while teaching. Hopefully, I can find a job as a social studies teacher and start in August or whenever school starts, and I'll just be doing my certifications online. The only reason I went for it is because I'm tired of being poor, and I'll be getting paid the same salary as any other teacher with a Master's degree in her subject area. I'll feel like a millionaire, considering the shitty way I've been living this past year.

But I'm terrified of this because I'm also gonna be starting my second grad degree in the fall as well (I'm going for my Library Science degree). It's going to be a lot of work and hairpulling, but I just can't live off crappy part-time, slightly-above-minimum-wages anymore. My inability to pay my bills is completely fucking my life up.

Sorry I can't help on the GRE front. I was very lucky in that my grad school was all liberal-artsy and didn't require standardized test scores. I'm going to seriously panic when the times comes to apply to a phd program and I have to take the GRE, though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lananans
post Jul 1 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #95

Hardcore BUSTie

I just got my degree in the mail!! Four years and thousands of dollars later and I have a piece of paper to show for it. AND it's in Latin.

erinjane -- how did the end of school go? did you get that job?? I'm working at a newspaper now in Barrie just for the summer, then I'm moving to London because my boyfriend got into Western's med school and we're moving in together...

I'm thinking about applying for grad school between now and then, in either history or journalism... anyone have any tips on how to make a B average look better through... other things?? I don't even know if I have a chance of getting in.

likeanyother -- where are you going to teach english? my former roommate is going to korea, and I know a guy who is going to Japan through the JET program with the Canadian government.

Also, what do people think of going to teacher's college? People always assume i am going to teach because i have a degree in history. maybe i should just do it. I'd get summer's off.

+Quote Post
likeanyother
post Jun 26 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

Moonpie, according to my boyfriend, who is a creative writing major, you need only a Master’s degree to teach writing (and English, by extension) because it’s considered a fine art, and there’s no PhD in fine art. That seems so weird to me, but pretty sweet for anyone looking to be a prof and not spend a million years and dollars in grad school. I guess that wouldn’t really work if you’re not a writer though. But if you want to teach high school or community college, just go for it! It’s only two years, and I think most grad schools have a lot of financial assistance. If you’re in no hurry just apply to a bunch and see who gives you the best deal.

As for me, I majored in Anthropology, just got a job in Web Design, and want to go to grad school for a Master’s in Library and Information Science. Oh, and I decided I’m going to teach English abroad for a year to pay off some of my student loans and THEN go to grad school. So my “career path” has not been a path, so much as a semi-random, meandering stream. But, I actually wouldn’t do anything different. If nothing else, it hasn’t been boring. Anyway, I think I’m going to take the GRE this fall before I leave and then get serious about grad school when I get back… adventure awaits, ya know cool.gif .

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 17 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #97

Hardcore BUSTie

Likeanyother---not that I'm in grad school (it's been an omni-present wish), but what program do you seek? Has your work experience correlated to what you want to study? Mine doesn't, but there's gotta be a way! From what I've read, you can still use your profs... you just need to re-establish communication... let em in again.

I haven't hit grad school, as much as I'd like to... mainly because of financial matters and the fact that I'm butt-hurt scared of making a potentially poor decision...

Do what you love, they say. Well, I love literature. And EVERYONE tells me I'd be a good teacher. sheesh...

I'm so damn wishy-washy. One month it's an MBA.... the next, I'm going back to ole trusty---teaching.

What am I so scared of? It can't just be the money issue.

sorry for derailing...

+Quote Post
likeanyother
post Jun 5 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

Question, has anybody taken the GRE semi-recently? Any advice? Book recommendations?

kittenb - if you happen to read this, I see from the archives that you went to grad school after a bit of a hiatus, did you find it hard to get in because it had been so long since your undergrad? Did you seek out your old profs for references? If not, who did you use?

Also, just lookin' for any advice anyone may have regarding grad school in general.... thanks!

+Quote Post
themeiu
post Apr 8 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey!
I'm in a Psych Field Research class, and my group is in need of some participants. The survey is not exactly what I had in mind, but meh, group politics. Anyways, I would really appreciate it if any of you gals would participate and give us some data. It's totally anonymous, so we will never know who answered, or who said what. If you wanna help, please follow the link below smile.gif

http://www.my3q.com/go.php?url=stancyh/52029

Thanks muchly!!

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Mar 31 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #100

Hardcore BUSTie

What is your undergrad in? I'm sociology and women's and gender studies. It looks like I may even have a job (although not FT) come June.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggling. On tuesday I get something else added to my plate though; i was hired as a marker for one of my profs so that's really going to weigh me down. I just spent the last 20 minutes scheduling out the school work I need to do for the next two weeks. tongue.gif

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19, 2014 - 02:17 PM