Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academia nuts
flowergirl
post Jul 20 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #281

BUSTie

Grrr, I can't get it to stop centering my text!!

Well best of luck with your defense, and thanks for the advice. Someone just told me about a good thread on the GRE on indiebride.com. Anyone interested in this topic should definitely have a look, there's lots of good tips.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 16 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #282

Hardcore BUSTie

Nope, I'm in Canada actually, but there are a few people in the UK studying it too (as well as here, USA, and New Zealand). I wish I knew what they were going to ask, but I think that would defeat the purpose somewhat!

IBS=Irritable Bowel Syndrome (or I have to go to the bathroom at the drop of a hat at the most inopportune times disease)

I am so glad to be nearing the end, I can safely say that this will be the last degree for me!

+Quote Post
flowergirl
post Jul 16 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #283

BUSTie

That sounds really interesting. Are you in the UK? Its just that Health Geography sounds like something they do there...I did a double major in Psych and Geography for my undergrad in the UK. It was awesome.

I would be nervous too but I'm sure you will be absolutely fine - they are not there to torture you, just to hear what you have to say. And you must be an expert on the subject by now! Do you know what they're going to ask you? What is IBS (sorry am very dumb)?

I so wish I was you, on the home stretch, instead of just beginning... :-)

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 16 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #284

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm doing an MA in Health Geography. My defense is in just over three weeks!!! I'm a little scared cause I hate public speaking and have IBS which flares up when I'm stressed, but I am just so bursting with excitement to finally be done!

+Quote Post
flowergirl
post Jul 16 2006, 05:23 AM
Post #285

BUSTie

Its a PhD in Clinical Psych, which is hyped to be SOooooo hard to get into, yadda yadda, I guess I just got a bit freaked about the guide books saying 'start early' and all that.

I have to take the GRE general, MAT and the GRE Psych. The Princeton Review seems to have an online course (very expensive!) that is supposed to get you ready in 8 weeks. The stressy guides say take them no later than October, which I guess is reasonable if the application deadlines are Dec 1. I took a look at the GRE Psych and it looked fine but in terms of the GRE general...lets just say I haven't done algebra since eighth grade! Yikes!

Thanks for the reassurance midge, made me feel a lot better. What degree are you working on?

I just noticed catsoup that you asked about the GRE too - maybe have a look at the Princeton Review site. I know what you mean - it seems like there's a million guide books out there - how to choose the right one??? Let me know if you find any good ones!

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 15 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #286

Hardcore BUSTie

of course, i haven't done my phd, but i definately think it's reasonable to apply for fall 2007 at this point, that leaves you a lot of time yet. i wouldn't stress over timing for the exams too much... what all do you have to take? what program is it for?

+Quote Post
flowergirl
post Jul 15 2006, 03:21 AM
Post #287

BUSTie

Hi everyone, it's the first time I've posted on this thread, amongst you intellectual titans! biggrin.gif I'm planning on trying to get in to do my PhD starting Sept 07....staaaaarting...NOW and was wondering if you have any advice on timing - am I giving myself enough time for this whole application process? I'm freaking out a bit about GREs, MATs, application deadlines, financial deadlines etc etc. Would any of you recommend I take my time and apply in 08 or is 6 months enough? Most of my application deadlines are around 1 December. Especially the GRE - how long do you need to study for this thoroughly?

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

+Quote Post
doll
post Jul 6 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #288

Hardcore BUSTie

it's so great that there are so many academic chicas around here! (says girl who disappeared off boards for 7 years in order to spend time getting a PhD).

myself, my defense is on July 27, and i have just a handful of simple revisions before then.

re: defense presentations, midge. keep it simple. have no more than three major points. be able to justify every decision you've made. anticipate their questions. sleep well the night before.

(i haven't defended yet, i'm actually just repeating what my advisor told me to do.)

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jul 4 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #289

Hardcore BUSTie

so...i guess i should start working on my defense presentation at some point...anyone have any pointers or advice to get me started on the right foot?

thanks!

+Quote Post
catsoup
post Jul 3 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #290

Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.

I'm starting to look into going back to school (MPH program most likely) and need to start planning for the GRE. Anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or book recommendations for me? I seem to learn well when I can buy a book, read it, take practice tests, etc. so if anyone used a book and liked it, I'd love to hear about it.

+Quote Post
seraphine
post Jun 30 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #291

Ughh... it feels like I'm killing neurons in my brain while learning about neuron functions and processes. Physiological Psychology (7 week summer school class) is driving me to an early grave! I hardly sleep anymore, and when not at work I am zombie-ing at home, textbook and pencil both becoming a part of my body. I always have a damned headache, too.

I planned a camping trip (that's happening in three weeks), and it turns out that it's right in the middle of my semester. I didn't think it would be a big deal when it was planned, but missing class alone is going to axe my grade.

Anyone else indoors cramming this beautiful summer season? =S

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jun 21 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #292

Hardcore BUSTie

*does happy dance*

+Quote Post
anarch
post Jun 21 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #293

Hardcore BUSTie

congrats, midge, all that hard work's paying off! Good for you. You'll blow them away.

re funding, I paid for my BA and MA through scholarships, retail jobs, TA and RAships (for MA), and most of all, living at home (thanks mom). For PhD, scholarships and TAing. I've been lucky. And Canadian tuition is (or was, anyway) significantly cheaper than US.

+Quote Post
venetia
post Jun 21 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #294

Hardcore BUSTie

That's so exciting Midge!

Late to the party but I financed my grad through various competitive scholarships which pay full living costs as well as tuition, and I apply for extra funding for conferences, and generally I work part tine tutoring ("TA"ing) on top of that, plus I take on odd jobs here and there. By doing all this I've actually saved enough to pay back most of my BA loan as well.

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Jun 20 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #295

Hardcore BUSTie

OMG!!! you may not believe it... i had my doubts... but... I HAVE A DEFENSE DATE!!!!! it is really late in the term, august 8, which only leaves me 6 days to submit to the library in time to make the fall convocation deadline, but i am just going to go with it and hope for the best! YIPEE!!!

syb--holy cow. seriously. holy cow.

re: financing MA--i didn't have any debt from my bachelors cause my folks helped me out a LOT, but most of the $ for my MA came from TAing and RAing. a full load only pays about $15,000 per year, but if you budget really well and don't have any dependents, it can get you through!

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 14 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #296

it's cards on the table time

5000 words in the last 12 hours. Okay, some of it was transcripts but still...

Note to self: writing chapter drafts from scratch at the last minute is a bad idea.

/procrastination fuelled whine

+Quote Post
maryjo
post Jun 14 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #297

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes, I have undergrad student loans from the government but I have always been adamant that I wouldn't take out any private loans to finance my education. Hopefully I won't have to. It's not an investment - I would be earning much more if I weren't going for my PhD. Afterward, I hope I will find a job in academia, and if not there are other routes I can pursue - all difficult, unreliable and competitive. I really don't want to face massive debt on top of all that uncertainty in five or so years' time.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 14 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #298

it's cards on the table time

I'm in a similar boat. I took out a small-ish loan for my MA, for living expenses only as my tuition was paid for and I got a small-ish stipend as well. However, I took some time out before going back for my Ph.D, and I have to say, if I hadn't gotten the funding I have now I probably wouldn't have gone back. It's a competitive grant and I feel privileged to get it. Having paid off my first loan, I recently took out another one, which is big to me but small-ish for overall spend on arts PhDs from what I understand.

It was very very important to me not to go into (much) debt. Until this spring I worked p/t to avoid debt, although in retrospect I was over-extended. Jobs in academia are competitive so going into considerable debt for your Ph.D is risky, IMO.

Then again I'm not in the US so the above probably isn't that helpful...

+Quote Post
maryjo
post Jun 14 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #299

Hardcore BUSTie

I will be financing my education by attending a university that is willing and able to fund it. I previously self-funded an MA by working many hours in crappy jobs, and I dare say I learned a lot from it but I'm never doing that again. I'm going to the US (from the UK) for my PhD, and money was a big motivator. I've got some savings from the job I've worked in the year between MA and PhD that will hopefully pay for the move, but there's no way I would be doing this if I wasn't going to be paid (not paid all that much, but paid) to do it.

+Quote Post
divaintraining
post Jun 13 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #300

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm curious about the same thing. I expected to go to grad school right away and embark on an academic career. I really enjoy what I do now (I work in marketing) but am starting to feel I have let too much time laspe to not start to get serious about returning to school.

My 5 year reunion will be this summer and many women there will already have their doctorate. . .

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 26, 2014 - 08:51 PM