The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

> The Girl With Bad Skin- All About Adult Acne
acewalker
post Oct 21 2006, 01:48 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

this is just a general warning to all those out there dealing with skin problems AND mood disorders--Lithium can cause serious acne issues. My doctor didn't tell me that when I went on it, even though I've been struggling with my skin for years now, so you can imagine my surprise when--overnight, literally--my entire face was broken out, like a rash, it was so bad...
I've even heard about people trying to go on Accutane to clear up the acne caused by Lithium--it's serious. just a tip to keep in mind, in case you're not interested in exchanging mood problems for self esteem problems.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 8 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #2

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I just happened to be lurking in this thread and there's a question about buying tea tree oil, something I know all about!

You could go to Trader Joe's, but unlike their food, their deal with TTO is not so good- it's really overpriced there.

This is where you want to go. I've been getting my TTO from them for years (I use it on my face, as a household cleaner, in hair products) and it's really good quality and about as inexpensive as you can get.

That list is in alphabetical order, so just scroll down to tea tree oil!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
Anita18
post Oct 8 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #3

BUSTie

QUOTE(klee @ Oct 4 2006, 09:26 AM) *
TTO dries your skin so you need to moisturize but I'm ecstatic that my face doesn't have this layer of oil 10 minutes after I wash it anymore. I hope this continues to work for me but was too excited not to share!!!!! FYI, I use Australian TTO.

Hmm, where would you get tea tree oil? Something tells me I should try Trader Joe's, but yeah...any tips?

I also have super-oily skin, and it's seriously annoying when the only time my skin is matte is right when I get out of the shower. mad.gif

I've been using Proactiv for a few years, and it's gotten rid of the redness, so I've been trying to wean myself off of it since it is kind of expensive...I did splurge on Dermadoctor's Porefect solution so we'll see how that works. I don't think my pores are smaller, but it does seem to be making my skin smoother overall. *sigh* My pores are absolutely ginormouse. I've also got these tiny pimples all over my face. They're small, not cystic at all, but it makes my face look so bumpy.

+Quote Post
klee
post Oct 6 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Thanks for the tip about the soap! I usually use BP at night after my shower but there have been a few ruined tank tops.

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Oct 4 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the heads-up about tea tree oil, klee! Sounds awesome. I might give it a try... although since the proactiv is keeping my acne in check pretty well right now I think I may let sleeping dogs lie for the time being, you know?

Klee, don't you find that the BP on your back bleaches your clothes out-? If so, try the soap version (one brand is Panoxyl), which worked great for me.

+Quote Post
klee
post Oct 4 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #6

BUSTie

So, after I got off birth control, my skin got a bit worse...I was mostly worried about my back because that's where my skin used to have problems, not really my face. I've been using a benzoyl peroxide gel for my back but after a while, my face started breaking out constantly, especially around my jaw and neck.

My skin also got SUPER oily. I've always used very gentle products for sensitive skin so don't know what the hell my skin was reacting to. After a while I also started using BP on my face since the acne was only getting worse and more widespread. BP didn't help on my face at all and just irritated it, although it works great on my back.

So, understanding that acne is caused by bacteria, yesterday I grabbed my tea tree oil and rubbed some on my skin. The smell is STRONG. I then did some research, probably not the order one should do things, but found acne.org where it's worked for a lot of people, often better than antibiotics and other prescribed skin medicine. It also didn't work or made things worse for others. All I can say is that my skin looks better than it has in months and I have used it for one day. I rubbed it on my face undiluted last night, and wet a cotton ball and dropped about 5 drops this morning and rubbed it over my face like a toner - avoid eyes of course. Then I used my normal moisturizer.

TTO dries your skin so you need to moisturize but I'm ecstatic that my face doesn't have this layer of oil 10 minutes after I wash it anymore. I hope this continues to work for me but was too excited not to share!!!!! FYI, I use Australian TTO.

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Oct 3 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

My friend who has always had the same skin as I do (black heads, break outs etc) has recently had 7 sessions of microdermabrasion, and it has cleared up her skin! It has even gotten rid of her acne scars! It's freaking expensive though. For one session it is $125! I don't think I can afford that right now. I notice some at home micro kits, and I am of course, very skeptical of these. Has anyone ever tried one before? Or has anyone here ever had an actual microdermabrasion session done?

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Sep 4 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Hm. I just took myself off the antibiotics that the doctors have been prescribing for my acne for years. I finally got sick of taking a drug that is really not good for you at all in the long term. I had accepted the fact that I was going to break out like crazy without that aspect of treatment, but much to my surprise, my skin is actually better so far. In fact, I haven't had a single zit the week I've been off the antibiotic. I'm still knocking on wood here as I say it, but... I think maybe sometimes our skin (our bodies in general?) just need us to stop f*cking with them! (I am, however, still using proactiv so far--I'm not ready to say screw *all* of it just yet.)

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Aug 31 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I just discovered that Zapzyt works for me.

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post Aug 31 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

it's the weirdest thing--either the pill is starting to finally do its skin-clearing job, or the cleanser i've been using really works! the latter would be hilarious, because it's the stuff my nephew left behind when he moved out--clean and clear blackhead scrub. i've been too poor to buy any "good" cleansers.

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Aug 21 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks, bunny! This is exactly the thread I was looking for.

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Aug 21 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

hey, panoxyl was the topical stuff i used for years, before retin-a. i remember it being more gentle than retin a. putting toothpaste on a zit at bedtime can help dry it out.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 20 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #13

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

*bump for octinoxate, is this the one you were looking for?

anyone who wants to re-start an old thread that got lost in the renovation - just search for it then post.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
that_girl
post Jun 18 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #14

Hey - used to lurk on this thread, but haven't been around for a while - hope this hasn't come up before!

I've dealt with adult acne - on the chin - forever. Horrible, cystic stuff. And it felt like I'd tried everything. I used to bounce back and forth between drugstore stuff, doctors and was really sceptical of the cosmetics counter.

I couldn't tell you what got me to take the plunge, but I gave Clinique a try. Guys - I don't know if it's the cleanser, the toner or the 'gel formula' moisturizer, but I haven't gotten a single zit in three months - with no medication necessary. Unheard of, for me. I'm using their #3 line.

Just spreading the Clinique love. Hate the price, but I won't budge now. They've got me. Just saying ... : )

+Quote Post
halcyon
post Jun 14 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Greenbean--maybe try some really gentle moisturizing cream, like Cetaphil? I wouldn't use any anti-acne stuff until the irritation is all gone. BC-related acne sucks. I had pretty good luck with Neutrogena's "advanced solutions" anti-acne set from the drugstore, but you might need to experiment to find something that works for you. Also once the hormones stabilize, it might decrease on its own. Good luck with it!

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Jun 5 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Help!! I went off BC recently and all of a sudden my chin breaks out with very red pimples, right?. So I put Neosporin on it to bring the redness down, --bad idea. The Neoporin dried out my skin bad and now the whole area is red, dry and rashy. What do I do now!?! OOooo, I hate it!

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post May 14 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

everyones skin is different. cleocin-t kills bacteria on and under the skin. i tried proactiv years ago and it worked for about a month and that was it but i know lots of people who have had brilliant results on it. you might try cleocin-t and it may not have good results. i really want to try retin-a for my stubborn blackheads. my doctor said that i could use both meds just not at the same time and the retin-a only at night. i am thinking about it. i want to give the cleocin-t more time and see if it clears up my skin completly. that would be a dream!!

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post May 14 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

thanx ladylibrary.
my doc just prescribed my differen gel and I've been using it about two weeks. I like it but I'm PMSing now and breaking out again. he also prescribed me antibiotics w/ it but I never filled the script. I don't want to take antibiotics forever! or at all really. I just got off of proactiv and I was just curious if I'm on the right track or if I should be doing something else. Maybe I should try the cleocin-t?????

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post May 12 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

sorry double post. but i also found a great web site: www.dermadoctor.com if any one is interested.

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post May 12 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

so i went to my doctor for this rash on the side of my face and he perscribed me cleocin-t which is for acne. my skin has never looked better!! it takes about 6 weeks to see total improvement and i have only been using it for a little less then 2 weeks but i notice a HUGE improvement. the great thing is that with insurance it cost me $15 to go to the doctor and $8 for the medication. that is cheaper then just buying more fancy stuff from sephora. so in case this helps anyone this is my face routine: (AM) i wash with MD formulations cleanser for oily to very oily skin apply the cleocin-t and let it dry, spot treat with Murad sulphur lotion and let that dry, put on a small amount of patricia wexler serum for all skin types (optional), and then a moisturizer. (PM) same cleanser, cleocin-t, benzoyl peroxide lotion, serum, and moisturizer. it has really worked wonders for me. hope this helps. now i do have really oily skin so those with sensitive or dry skin may need to use a different routine. but i have had no dryness, redness or flaking.

xoxo

+Quote Post
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23, 2014 - 04:34 PM