Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academia nuts
lux
post Nov 18 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #41

BUSTie

i don't know how the regulations are at your school, but if there is nothing on your syllabus that says attendance is required, then he has no right to demand extra work from those who have chosen not to attend his lectures. you can't just come up with new requirements in the middle of the semester. you could send the department an email and ask if they think it's ok? i can understand if you don't feel like doing this, since you get grades based on participation, and this might not make a positive impact. i'm so glad we get graded anonymously, so i can send as many complaints as i feel like!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 17 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, I am really pissed off! Today one of my profs sent an email to everyone in class saying that anyone who hasn't been attending and continues to miss our Wednesday lectures (which is when he lectures, Tuesdays are for group presentations) may be required to provide a written rationale for missing class before he will even accept their papers.

Now, this doesn't affect me as I have only missed one class the entire semester, but can he even do this?! We already have 10% of our grade devoted to attendance and participation. It's pretty obvious that anyone who just doesn't bother showing up would get a 0 for that grade but I don't think it should go any further than that.

Not only that, but we have been allowed to come up with any essay topic we damn well please. For example, I'm doing my essay on Wes Anderson, one of my friends is doing hers on British sitcoms and another girl is doing hers on Barbie. Our essays do not relate in any way to what he has been teaching in class and even in other classes when the lectures totally relate to the essay topics, no one is actually required to come to class.

I think this guy is not only being an asshole but I really question whether or not he is allowed to do this.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 16 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

Ahhhhhh! My prof just emailed me to say that the thesis statement for my essay is contradictory. He's right but I'm frustrated.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Nov 16 2009, 05:04 AM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey Angie, congratulations it sounds so exciting! I took the GRE a few years back and I thought that not a lot of the study materials were all to helpful except for the frequent word lists- a lot of those words are actually on there! I would try to study as many of those lists as possible, it should really help. Other than that, my advice to you would be don't get too freaked out about it. It's just a test, just one thing on your list of wonderful things you've done. I studied pretty hard and I didn't do the greatest, and I know people who didn't study at all and got close to perfect scores. But even though I didn't get anything great I still got into one of the top schools in the country, so they really look at so many other things besides GREs. There are girls in my program who got perfect scores and we all ended up in the same place, so I'm sure you will do great and get into wherever you want to go, best of luck!!

<3 buttercups

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Nov 15 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

I finally took the plunge and I'm applying for PhD programs. I've talked to potential supervisors at Texas A & M and Oregon State. I feel like I should be applying to a third school just in case, but I really really want to study with the guy at Texas A & M and I don't know if I should waste the money and time for a school I'm not that into. I mean, at A&M I'd have a great project, the potential supervisor wants me doing fieldwork this summer, and in the area I want to study. And both A & M and Oregon have good possibilities of funding for fieldwork. what more do I need? But I know I should be talking to as many people as possible and giving myself as many options as possible...

I'm taking the GRE next Saturday and starting to get pretty scared about it! I've never taken it before and it's my only chance before the application deadlines for funding. I've only been studying for about 2 weeks, and this girl at work told me most americans study for months before taking it! Everyone wish me luck!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 30 2009, 07:21 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

Actually, I sent in my essay proposal on Tuesday and it was approved! So I guess I'm doing something right.

As for the essay that's due today I'm going to read it over again and see if I can make any changes. Otherwise it's being sent off and that's that.

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Oct 28 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #47

BUSTie

This semester has been rough for me too, cc. Usually fall is a breeze and it's spring term that has me stressing, but this school year it's been redic..so far. Any chance you can talk to your prof and ask him/her to narrow down the topic a bit for you? Remember you're paying a ton of money for those college credits - you deserve to feel like you have a little sense of direction, and it is their job after all!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 26 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

Ahhhhhhhh! I'm going crazy this semester. First I was having trouble writing an essay proposal because the prof made it so open ended that I pretty much didn't have any direction at all.

Now I'm trying to find articles about a specific author and how she uses perspective, focalization and community and I feel like I'm getting nowhere! It's such a short essay but I have to use at least one secondary source and it's due Friday.

+Quote Post
JennaFabulous!
post May 15 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #49

i also wonder, how well does the professor know you? it sounds like you've worked hard in his/her class, and if s/he knows you and your work, this person may be willing to work with you and help get past this. i guess i attend a small school at which everyone knows everyone, but if you've worked hard i would hope that your professor would recognize your effort and attendance and overlook this strange circumstance. maybe that's idealistic? good luck!

+Quote Post
ketto
post May 12 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh crin, that sucks. I hate when people talk to you like that, I get the "Please don't cry" feeling pretty bad myself when a person of authority speaks to me like that. I hate it. Can you not talk to someone else? At our university the times of exams couldn't be changed without 100% agreement from the entire class or else students could appeal their marks and the University has no recourse. Hopefully your school has something like this.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post May 8 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

ugh. I may have just fucked up my GPA on my last exam of my last semester.

I went to take my final final at the scheduled time on my syllabus / University website, but when I got there it was only me and one other girl out of a class of thirty. I was told that we had missed the exam and had to take a "make-up". I have never missed an exam in my life.
I checked my syllabus when I got home, and it was the time I went. I attended class regularly and was present the last day. No mention was ever made of a final rescheduling.

I don't know how, but I obviously didn't get the memo. I'm going to be ridiculously pissed if this fucks up the GPA that I have worked so hard on for five years.

The proctor obviously thought we were slackers who never attended class and her demeanor was less than pleasant. When I tried to ask her about the situation she said "I'm not about to discuss it with you. You can try to appeal to your instructor" I actually spent the first five minutes of the (seven essays in two hours) exam trying not to cry.

ugh.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Apr 19 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but for some reason, even though I quit smoking a long while ago, when I am in the editing process of writing, I always break down and buy a pack of smokes. For some reason, the smoke break with my paper copy of an article on a friggin clipboard is some inescapable part of the writing process for me. Luckily, I think of these as short relapses and not a return to the world of smoking. Have to overcome this nasty habit. Grr.

Candycane_girl, saw elsewhere that you survived the group project. I can assure you that unless your teacher is a total dolt, your effort did not go unnoticed, and will be figured in in other portions of the grading process, attendance, participation, etc.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 24 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

There's a small portion of our project that involves grading each other but it's pretty much just like, "how much did this person contribute on a scale of 1-5?" I just wish that there was a chance for us to also write in comments. The presentation is tomorrow and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I just want to get it over and done with.

Now if only I could deal with my stats class.

+Quote Post
lananans
post Mar 24 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

You'll get through it candycane! Periodmonster - in my experience most profs do not adopt that strategy. I often wished they would.

I'm not in school right now, but I will be all throughout the summer - just got accepted to a MA Journalism program. After a year off following undergrad, I'm ready to go back. Very happy that I didn't apply right away though, I needed to recharge for sure.

So, while my friends are enjoying their summers, I'll be in the library. But I couldn't be more pleased, haha.

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Mar 23 2009, 03:59 AM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

CandyCane Girl, March and November are totally the sweaty, unwashed asshole of academic life.

I always hated group work as a student. This doesn't stop me from having my students do group work. Of course, I have little precautions in place so that the one student, and there's always one or two students, who actually does the majority of the work is rewarded and the slackers are put in their places. I hope your prof has a similar strategy for grading group work.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 23 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

Argh, I'm trying not to be so stressed out. Does anyone else feel that November and March are always the worst months of the year in terms of school workload? I'm frustrated in trying to do a group project with people that apparently don't check their email. Ever.

Also I have a horrible stats assignment due soon that I just don't feel like tackling at all!

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Mar 9 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #57

brown delicious

i guess i just need to vent. i know the data analysis part can be a bitch. i'm reviewing my results for my qualitative research and realizing there is some redundancy there. so, at the worst, i just need to decide what i want to cut out which in the end will save me time in writing up my results section. i just want to scream at this point. i have to remember that when i get this frustrated that i end up writing really well. this part is gonna be tough though. fuck you results section! dry.gif

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 1 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #58

sassygrrl

That's what I'm doing right now. I'm trying to just think about me (not in an selfish way), and where I want to take this program. UW sounded more like an IT program which seemed boring to me. I thought rare collections might be interesting. My old alma mater had the biggest collection of Flannery O Conner books, and I got to do a research project on one and loved it. Could you write me star??

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Nov 29 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #59

brown delicious

sassy, i think it is smart to think how your education can be turned into a career. speech pathology is not strictly based in hospital settings. also, with library science, i know you did not want to study the electronic system of UW in library science, but, you might want to consider that we are moving into using technology more and more. UW is highly competitive in most fields of study. definitely don't rush into your decision. take your time to research programs.

kitten, dude, call me if you are confused about your assignment.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Nov 29 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #60

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I need to vent for a moment. What the hell was I thinking going back to school? I admit my current situation is mostly my fault but GOD! I don't even understand this project that I have to write 20 pages about. mad.gif

grumbles out of the thread

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 24, 2014 - 03:17 PM