The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore": ducks, the taliban, life, the universe and everything
totomoto
post May 29 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #321

Hardcore BUSTie

(nice story and according to Snopes, true)

If you read the front page story of the SF Chronicle,

you would have read about a female humpback whale

who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps

and lines.

She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused

her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of

line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line

tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farralone Islands

(outside the Golden Gate) and radioed an environmental group for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was

so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her

a very dangerous proposition.

One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer.

They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles.

She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed gently around-she thanked them. Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth says her eye was

following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
totomoto
post May 27 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #322

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050530/pollitt

<snip>
HPV is not only an incredibly widespread sexually transmitted infection but is responsible for at least 70 percent of cases of cervical cancer, which is diagnosed in 10,000 American women a year and kills 4,000. Wonderful, you are probably thinking, all we need to do is vaccinate girls (and boys too for good measure) before they become sexually active, around puberty, and HPV--and, in thirty or forty years, seven in ten cases of cervical cancer--goes poof. Not so fast: We're living in God's country now. The Christian right doesn't like the sound of this vaccine at all. "Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful," Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council told the British magazine New Scientist, "because they may see it as a license to engage in premarital sex." Raise your hand if you think that what is keeping girls virgins now is the threat of getting cervical cancer when they are 60 from a disease they've probably never heard of.
</snip>

About 3,000 dead women every year. Every year. But they don't matter to the religious extremists do they? Because at some point they probably had sex, the brazen hussies.

<snip>
It's honor killing on the installment plan.
</snip>

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 24 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #323

Hardcore BUSTie

Just putting things back where they should be....

+Quote Post
totomoto
post May 24 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #324

Hardcore BUSTie

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

2. The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.

3. The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the country and who are very good at crossword puzzles.

4. USA Today is read by people who think they ought to run the country but don't really understand The New York Times. They do, however, like their statistics shown in pie charts.>

5. The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the country --if they could find the time -- and if they didn't have to leave Southern California to do it.

6. The Boston Globe is read by people whose parents used to run the country and did a far superior job of it, thank you very much.

7. The New York Daily News is read by people who aren't too sure who's running the country and don't really care as long as they can get a seat on the train.

8. The New York Post is read by people who don't care who is running the country as long as they do something really scandalous, preferably while intoxicated.

9. The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country but need the baseball scores.

10. The Chicago Tribune is read by people who do not care who runs any part of the Country east of Gary or west of Evanston. They also do not have access to the weather channel and want to know if
there will be a weather excuse for another baseball loss by the Cubies.

11. The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people who aren't sure there is a country or that anyone is running it, but if so, they oppose all that they stand for. There are occasional exceptions if the leaders are handicapped minority feminist atheist dwarfs who also happen to be illegal aliens from any other country or galaxy provided, of course, that they are not Republicans.

12. The Oregonian is read by people who do not think that they should even be part of this country but should have their own and who recycle the paper as soon as they have read the restaurant reviews.

13. The National Enquirer is read by people trapped in line at the grocery store.

14. None of these are read by the guy who is running the country into the ground.

+Quote Post
totomoto
post May 17 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #325

Hardcore BUSTie

Country Minister

As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a grave-side service for a homeless man, with no family or friends. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way back in the country, and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there. As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost, and being a typical man did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew, who was eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight.

I apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped to the side of the open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in place. I assured the workers I would not hold them up for long, but this was the proper thing to do. The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured out my heart and soul.

As I preached the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise the Lord," and
"Glory," I preached, and I preached, like I'd never preached before: from Genesis all the way to Revelations. I closed the lengthy service with a prayer and walked to my car.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the
workers saying to another, "I ain't never seen anything like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

+Quote Post
totomoto
post May 9 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #326

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0605090094may09,1,2047448.story?col l=chi-news-hed

Doctors raised the stakes in the nation's ongoing battle over emergency contraception Monday with a new campaign that encourages women to get an advance prescription for the "morning-after pill," so it will be readily available if they have unprotected sex.

The "Ask Me" campaign is organized medicine's most aggressive effort yet to ensure women have access to emergency contraception when they think they need it. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, which represents nearly 50,000 physicians, is the sponsor.

+Quote Post
totomoto
post May 7 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #327

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0506/watchingyoupoo.html

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Apr 30 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #328

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't know who all had seen this, but I'm going to cross post with WAT in Media Whores

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/04/29.html#a8104

May I just say Steven Colbert is brilliant! Stewart/Colbert 2008!!!!

+Quote Post
totomoto
post Apr 29 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #329

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.fincher.org/Misc/Pennies/

Pennies

+Quote Post
venetia
post Apr 27 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #330

Hardcore BUSTie

He's so... spineless. It's visually mesmerising, but I don't find it at all therapeutic. What I would find therapeutic would be if that man wasn't in office.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Apr 27 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #331

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought quite a few Europeans start frothing at the mouth when confronted with Bush. Maybe it doesn't translate into being entertained by the spectacle of his body smashing slowly into things, though. I have to admit I felt a bit guilty about enjoying it as much as I did, especially when my husband used his mouse to fling him from side to side.

+Quote Post
smurfin
post Apr 27 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #332

BUSTie

I'm sure I shouldn't find that as mesmerising as I did. I posted it for my fellow medschool students to find - they didn't particularly like it. Well, maybe because Bush isn't of that much importance here in Europe.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Apr 26 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #333

Hardcore BUSTie

your "Dangers of Alternative Energy Sources" made me nearly choke on my dinner I was laughing so hard. Passing it on to my non-anal-retentive friends. Thanks!

also, this Bush Screen Saver is hugely therapeutic.

"This is apparently one of the most popular screensaver in the U.S. If he
gets stuck, use your mouse to get him going again."

+Quote Post
totomoto
post Apr 25 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #334

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=22383530

April 22, 2006

Bush Impeachment - The Illinois State Legislature is Preparing to Drop a Bombshell
Utilizing a little known rule of the US House to bring Impeachment charges
by Steven Leser

http://www.opednews.com

Steven Leser

The Illinois General Assembly is about to rock the nation. Members of state legislatures are normally not considered as having the ability to decide issues with a massive impact to the nation as a whole. Representative Karen A. Yarbrough of Illinois' 7th District is about to shatter that perception forever. Representative Yarbrough stumbled on a little known and never utlitized rule of the US House of Representatives, Section 603 of Jefferson's Manual of the Rules of the United States House of Representatives, which allows federal impeachment proceedings to be initiated by joint resolution of a state legislature. From there, Illinois House Joint Resolution 125 (hereafter to be referred to as HJR0125) was born.

Detailing five specific charges against President Bush including one that is specified to be a felony, the complete text of HJR0125 is copied below at the end of this article. One of the interesting points is that one of the items, the one specified as a felony, that the NSA was directed by the President to spy on American citizens without warrant, is not in dispute. That fact should prove an interesting dilemma for a Republican controlled US House that clearly is not only loathe to initiate impeachment proceedings, but does not even want to thoroughly investigate any of the five items brought up by the Illinois Assembly as high crimes and/or misdemeanors. Should HJR0125 be passed by the Illinois General Assembly, the US House will be forced by House Rules to take up the issue of impeachment as a privileged bill, meaning it will take precedence over other House business.

The Illinois General Assembly joins a growing chorus of voices calling for censure or impeachment of President Bush including Democratic state committees in Vermont, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Nevada and North Carolina as well as the residents themselves of seven towns in Vermont, seventy Vermont state legislators and Congressman John Conyers. The call for impeachment is starting to grow well beyond what could be considered a fringe movement. An ABC News/Washington Post Poll Conducted April 6-9 showed that 33% of Americans currently support Impeaching President Bush, coincidentally, only a similar amount supported impeaching Nixon at the start of the Watergate investigation. If and when Illinois HJR0125 hits the capitol and the individual charges are publicly investigated, that number is likely to grow rapidly. Combined with the very real likelihood that Rove is about to be indicted in the LeakGate investigation, and Bush is in real trouble beyond his plummeting poll numbers. His cronies in the Republican dominated congress will probably save him from the embarassment of an impeachment conviction, for now, but his Presidency will be all but finished.

----------------------------------------------------------

HJ0125 LRB094 20306 RLC 58347 r

1 HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION

2 WHEREAS, Section 603 of Jefferson's Manual of the Rules of
3 the United States House of Representatives allows federal
4 impeachment proceedings to be initiated by joint resolution of
5 a state legislature; and

6 WHEREAS, President Bush has publicly admitted to ordering
7 the National Security Agency to violate provisions of the 1978
8 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, a felony, specifically
9 authorizing the Agency to spy on American citizens without
10 warrant; and

11 WHEREAS, Evidence suggests that President Bush authorized
12 violation of the Torture Convention of the Geneva Conventions,
13 a treaty regarded a supreme law by the United States
14 Constitution; and

15 WHEREAS, The Bush Administration has held American
16 citizens and citizens of other nations as prisoners of war
17 without charge or trial; and

18 WHEREAS, Evidence suggests that the Bush Administration
19 has manipulated intelligence for the purpose of initiating a
20 war against the sovereign nation of Iraq, resulting in the
21 deaths of large numbers of Iraqi civilians and causing the
22 United States to incur loss of life, diminished security and
23 billions of dollars in unnecessary expenses; and

24 WHEREAS, The Bush Administration leaked classified
25 national secrets to further a political agenda, exposing an
26 unknown number of covert U. S. intelligence agents to potential
27 harm and retribution while simultaneously refusing to
28 investigate the matter; and

29 WHEREAS, The Republican-controlled Congress has declined

HJ0125 - 2 - LRB094 20306 RLC 58347 r

1 to fully investigate these charges to date; therefore, be it

2 RESOLVED, BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE
3 NINETY-FOURTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, THE
4 SENATE CONCURRING HEREIN, that the General Assembly of the
5 State of Illinois has good cause to submit charges to the U. S.
6 House of Representatives under Section 603 that the President
7 of the United States has willfully violated his Oath of Office
8 to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United
9 States; and be it further

10 RESOLVED, That George W. Bush, if found guilty of the
11 charges contained herein, should be removed from office and
12 disqualified to hold any other office in the United States.

Take action -- click here to contact your local newspaper or congress people:
Support the Impeachment of President Bush

Click here to see the most recent messages sent to congressional reps and local newspapers

Steven Leser is a freelance journalist specializing in Politics, Science & Health, and Entertainment topics. He has held positions within the Democratic Party including District Chair and Public Relations Chair within county organizations. His coverage of the Ohio Presidential Recount in 2004 was distinguished by actual interviews with Carlo Loparo, spokesperson for the Ohio Secretary of State, along with Supervisors of Elections of several Ohio counties. Similar efforts on other topics to get first hand information from sources separate Mr. Leser from many of his contemporaries.

+Quote Post
totomoto
Post #335

Hardcore BUSTie

April 22, 2006

Bush Impeachment - The Illinois State Legislature is Preparing to Drop a Bombshell
by Steven Leser

Steven Leser

The Illinois General Assembly is about to rock the nation. Members of state legislatures are normally not considered as having the ability to decide issues with a massive impact to the nation as a whole. Representative Karen A. Yarbrough of Illinois' 7th District is about to shatter that perception forever. Representative Yarbrough stumbled on a little known and never utlitized rule of the US House of Representatives, Section 603 of Jefferson's Manual of the Rules of the United States House of Representatives, which allows federal impeachment proceedings to be initiated by joint resolution of a state legislature. From there, Illinois House Joint Resolution 125 (hereafter to be referred to as HJR0125) was born.

Detailing five specific charges against President Bush including one that is specified to be a felony, the complete text of HJR0125 is copied below at the end of this article. One of the interesting points is that one of the items, the one specified as a felony, that the NSA was directed by the President to spy on American citizens without warrant, is not in dispute. That fact should prove an interesting dilemma for a Republican controlled US House that clearly is not only loathe to initiate impeachment proceedings, but does not even want to thoroughly investigate any of the five items brought up by the Illinois Assembly as high crimes and/or misdemeanors. Should HJR0125 be passed by the Illinois General Assembly, the US House will be forced by House Rules to take up the issue of impeachment as a privileged bill, meaning it will take precedence over other House business.

The Illinois General Assembly joins a growing chorus of voices calling for censure or impeachment of President Bush including Democratic state committees in Vermont, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Nevada and North Carolina as well as the residents themselves of seven towns in Vermont, seventy Vermont state legislators and Congressman John Conyers. The call for impeachment is starting to grow well beyond what could be considered a fringe movement. An ABC News/Washington Post Poll Conducted April 6-9 showed that 33% of Americans currently support Impeaching President Bush, coincidentally, only a similar amount supported impeaching Nixon at the start of the Watergate investigation. If and when Illinois HJR0125 hits the capitol and the individual charges are publicly investigated, that number is likely to grow rapidly. Combined with the very real likelihood that Rove is about to be indicted in the LeakGate investigation, and Bush is in real trouble beyond his plummeting poll numbers. His cronies in the Republican dominated congress will probably save him from the embarassment of an impeachment conviction, for now, but his Presidency will be all but finished.

1 HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION

10 warrant; and

14 Constitution; and

Click here to see the most recent messages sent to congressional reps and local newspapers

Steven Leser is a freelance journalist specializing in Politics, Science & Health, and Entertainment topics. He has held positions within the Democratic Party including District Chair and Public Relations Chair within county organizations. His coverage of the Ohio Presidential Recount in 2004 was distinguished by actual interviews with Carlo Loparo, spokesperson for the Ohio Secretary of State, along with Supervisors of Elections of several Ohio counties. Similar efforts on other topics to get first hand information from sources separate Mr. Leser from many of his contemporaries.

+Quote Post
totomoto
Post #336

Hardcore BUSTie

April 22, 2006

by Steven Leser

Steven Leser

1 HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION

10 warrant; and

14 Constitution; and

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23, 2014 - 01:36 AM