Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WWWomen....WWWhat's with the points?
epinephrine
post Mar 15 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I made another accidental WW-friendly discovery tallying up my calories after eating out with friends the other day: Konjak and Shirataki noodles. I used to eat these all the time, especially in hotpot, but I had no idea they were made with fibre instead of starch! There's almost nothing to them. A portion has like 10 calories or something ridiculous like that. They're perfect if you're craving noodles and you need to stretch out your calorie/points allowance.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 8 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been counting calories instead of points since I started my diet last week, so I'm not really on WW (yet), but thought I should give you Asian-cuisine-loving WW ladies a heads up: I was just tallying up my lunch and discovered that the serving of cloud ear fungus in my veggies had a whopping 20 grams of fiber in it! Turns out, alongside its medicinal properties, the stuff is super duper nutritious. A serving has less than a gram of fat, only 20 grams of carbs, and nearly 3 grams of protein. No wonder I was so full after lunch today. I'll have to make that a daily staple.

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Feb 27 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I've decided this year I want to reach my optimum weight. I'm actually ok with my curves right now, but I don't really trust myself to maintain this weight indefinitely and I feel that if I don't get down to my optimum weight while I'm still young, I could be in for a very frustrating experience when I get older and my metabolism starts to slow down. I turn 25 this year. Seems like a good time to get my shit together, no? I think 20 pounds would do it. If I lose a pound a week, I could be at my goal weight by summer. Not that I really expect that to happen for me over here in China, but I think if I'm really conscientious about what I eat I could probably get out of this country a few pounds lighter, at least. If I can't do it over here, I'll just set a goal for myself once I get home.

Anyway, I got a good look at the WW system when I lived with my chronic yo-yo dieting aunts for a few months. One of them was the model WW dieter, eating tons of veggies and whole foods and counting her points carefully, while the other was the absolute worst WW dieter ever, surviving on a diet of aspartame and low-fat junk food and only counting points when she felt like it. I've always been wary of anything involved with the dieting industry, but I was impressed with Weight Watchers. I like that, done right, it puts the focus on nutrition first, and it's all customized to your needs. I'm pretty aware of nutrition already, and I've always preferred healthy food to junk food anyway, so I think WW would really suit me. How the hell I'll follow it in China, I have no idea. At least I know I can get a great price for a food scale, though.

I've started keeping a food journal, and I think I'll just do that for a couple weeks to get a sense of what my diet's really like before I start counting points/calories or following any sort of meal plan. I have made a couple of changes right off the bat, though. One thing I've found I really, really need is structure. My body needs routine. Sometimes, when I have a particularly big breakfast or a mid-morning snack, I don't feel hungry at lunch, and end up skipping it. I've come to realize that skipping lunch completely effs up my day - I get hungry at 2 or 3 o'clock, and whether I eat a late lunch, supplement with a snack, or just go hungry till dinner, I just don't feel right after. So now I know I need to eliminate the factors that make me skip lunch. I don't eat any morning snacks and I try to eat the same thing for breakfast every day: a bowl of congee and two hard-boiled eggs - nutritious and filling enough to fill me up when I eat it all at once, but light enough that I actually start to feel hungry come 12 o'clock. Then I go eat a full lunch. I may have an afternoon snack of fruit or fresh bean milk (I say bean because they use black, red and green beans, as well as soybeans, to make fresh soymilk-style drinks here), or the occasional steamed bun or something a little more filling. For dinner I try to keep it as light as possible - veggies and tofu in a very light stock. I try to eat dinner before 8pm so it's nearly all digested when I go to sleep. If I feel hungry before bed I have a piece of fruit or a cup of soymilk.

I go back to the gym this week after nearly 2 months away - at least I did a ton of walking while I was away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Nov 5 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

The first time I tried WW I would try to hold off as much as I could in case I was hungry in the evening and needed the points then. This time I'm finding it easier to have my biggest meal at lunch time, and I haven't been feeling hungry after supper. The whole Filling Foods list is very helpful though, I think its an improvement from the Core plan they had a few years ago.

+Quote Post
bottleblack
post Oct 19 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #5

BUSTie

pinkmartyr, thanks for that site. I find my habit is to try to wait as long as I can in the day to use the majority of my points because I love snacking in the evening and I hate going to bed hungry. But if I slack off one day then the temptation is so strong to just be like "oh i'll start again next week"

+Quote Post
pinkmartyr
post Oct 17 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

i have a one year old, am breastfeeding, and have been on WW since february. so far i have lost 17 lbs. i have 5 more lbs to go til i meet my 10% target. i missed my meeting last week because my brother was in town, and am worried about lacking motivation for the upcoming week.
another site that i find really supportive for ww is called blog to lose... its a web community started by a woman named roni whose blog i follow. i totally recommend it. here is my little part of it. http://www.blogtolose.com/profile/Aimee

+Quote Post
eyelet
post Oct 14 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been on it for 9 days. Lost 2.2 lbs. at the first meeting, but I know that's not going to be typical. I had a baby in June. I am on a medication to keep breastmilk supply going that causes weight gain (or at least not weight loss) post partum.

Some days are easier than others to keep track of the points, but if I have an off day I try not to have two in a row like that because then it's a trend.

I'll be thrilled if I can just lose 1lb a week, at least while still on this medication and breastfeeding. Don't really have any WW buddies to give moral support so I'd be thrilled if this thread were to get more active.

Could really use a few easy recipes for foods I can make ahead and heat up.

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Oct 14 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Pacifism kicks ass!

I did WW for a while last year, but counting points for everything drove me crazy after a while. I'm still glad I did it, though, because it taught me how to eat a balanced diet. It got me to eat more fruit & veg. Also, I liked that there are extra points built in that I could use if, say, I went out to a nice dinner with friends over the weekend.

Here are a few other things that helped me a ton.
1. the WW line of Progresso soups. Most of them are 1 or 0 points per serving.
2. Kashi multi-grain crackers. 14 crackers for 2 points.
3. Nature Made Double Fiber bread. I think 2 slices are just 1 point.
4. WW ice cream bars. There are large chocolate and latte ones that are just one point each.

So basically, you could have soup, 2 slices of toast, and ice cream for lunch and it might total just 3 points! Woot!

If you want to eat at chain restaurants, check out Dottie's Weight Loss Zone.
http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html (scroll down).
There you will find the point values for various menu items for more than 500 restaurants. I used to check this site before I ate out so that I'd know exactly what I was going to order before I even got to the restaurant. Unfortunately, it won't help if you want to eat at a locally owned restaurant.

In the end, I stopped WW because I found it too difficult to shop for groceries. I kept in mind most of the basic tenants of WW, but decided to just track calories instead.

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Oct 14 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I just started last week, for the third time in 2 years. The points thing has always been a challenge for me. I find myself eating the exact the meals at the exact same times every day because of convenience, rather than yummyness. I need some new meal plans on how to eat my points and not be hungry through out the day.

Right now I'm:

Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: pasta w/sauce and ground round
Supper: tomato/lettuce/cotage cheese on ww bread with eggs
Snack: ww peanut butter snack

I would love some vegetarian soups smile.gif That'll be for next week!

+Quote Post
bottleblack
post Oct 14 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #10

BUSTie

Anyone else out there still on the w.w? I have been on an off for the last few months...and I am hoping to get back on the wagon in the next few days. My daily points allowance just dropped by two and I feel like I will be starving all the time!! I know if I stick to it, it will work, but sometimes I don't know how I will do it..

+Quote Post
jenny_dreadful
post Jul 17 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #11

BUSTie

I have just joined WW for the first time, having become increasingly frustrated with my overly slack attitude to eating whatever the hell I like! I joined yesterday and am only just getting my head around the points and measurement!

I have quite a lot to lose if I'm to get to my healthy BMI. Many pounds! Zoinks. I'm not really planning to lose that much; at the moment I'm focussing on my 10% goal which would be brilliant, I weight the heaviest I've ever weighed at the moment.

Mandolyn, your success is fantastic, and a real motivator! 16 lbs!!! Congratulations.

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jul 11 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

FAB MANDO! Way to go! (bowing)

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Jul 4 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

hope no one minds a bump for a brag ...
down 16 lbs since 4/1. one lb left til my 10%.

not sure why it's clicked this time, but it did. i heart ww.

--------------------
"... what i want is what i've not got
and what i need is all around me."

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Apr 20 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

can i just say - it sucks to be down 3, up 3, down 3, up 3 or whatever all the time! UGH.

i'm off for short vaca this next weekend, anyone know a magician to take off 10 lbs in 5 days?

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Apr 15 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks, but i didn't lose anything this week. i sorta figgered that would happen, even tho i had nearly all my weeklies left. and since i'm going on a 4-day vackay to visit my sister, i'll be happy to stay the same next week, too.

i need to workout more too. too bad i'm coming down with something and have zero energy. bah.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lunasol
post Apr 14 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

DAMN, Mando, that is awesome. I was down 1.7...not Mando numbers, lol, but I was happy. I need to get back into a workout routine - that's how I lose.

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Apr 12 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

YAY FOR MANDO!!!! KEEP IT UP!

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Apr 12 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

did great my first week: -7.5 lbs! but it was Auntie Flo week, so i'm thinking i really just lost about 5 lbs. but still. i'm stoked!!!

and i'm wearing a suit that was way tight last year at this time. and it's not tight. i can even button the jacket. woot!

fave little black dress, here i come!

joyous new snack: 3 tbsp trail mix (store-bought, peanuts, raisins, yogurt chips, & a shitload of seeds) + 1/2 cup fiber one honey clusters. very satisfying and filling, for all of 3 pts.

also lovin' the cederlane FF burritos. i could live on 'em.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Apr 12 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

luna - i always just see the commercials for that show- never actually watched. will have to see it!

i don't know how this week is going yet, but we'll find out - Monday's the day - tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lunasol
post Apr 9 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Snarky: thanks for the zucchini suggestion. Zucchini is great in everything! The soup came out kinda "meh" - too mushy, and at the same time, lots of the beans were undercooked, even though I soaked them for 24 hours. Still tasty though.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25, 2014 - 07:03 PM