The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Diva Cup versus The Keeper
kittenb
post Jun 15 2009, 07:41 AM
Post #21

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

lanyo - If you are only inserting it once a day, in the morning, it might be leaking b/c it is full or it shifted.

I use the Keeper Moon Cup (just like the Diva Cup) and I have never managed to have a leak free day, except when I am having a very light day. I always had leaks w/tampons too, though so maybe it is just my body.

I bought some more Luna Pads though and I couldn't be happier. I had been using the Luna Pad panty liners and, while I like the way they felt, I had some issues w/movement. So I overcompensated and bought the long liners. They are pretty big so I have been wearing looser skirts. However, they are so comfortable! I am happy that I bought them and I will save my Cup like my contacts, for special occasions and swimming. laugh.gif

Along with my long pads, I bought an Overnight. I love it. Yes, it is big, but it so soft and I don't feel like I might leak onto the bed sheets anymore. I want to buy a second one of them.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lanyo
post Jun 7 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #22

BUSTie

I got the divacup, and 2 cycles through I think it's pretty good. I can't get it to be not-leaky though. I really don't want to have to use liners, disposable or not. Is this just a part of getting used to it? Also, I found the easiest way to insert is kneeling. Good thing it only needs to be done first thing in the morning, in the privacy of my own bathroom or shower!

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post May 20 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

last summer i did way too much reading on line. ladycup was a recent development at the time. reviews were really positive and everyone loved it. but it seemed totally ridiculous to me to order something like that on line from eastern europe. how different can they be right? everyone takes time to learn how to use the a cup because it's different, right? then i got my period and whole foods was 5 minutes away so i bought a diva cup.

i liked the diva cup more than tampons. that said, the stem was pokey, i could position it under my cervix, but it would would leak and slip. but i always have leakage issues with tampons so it wasn't a huge deal. a couple of months ago, i put my diva cup some place "really safe" and have yet to figure out where that was. after going through a couple of cycles with tampons, and weighing my options, i decided to buy the lady cup.

i got the orange one. it's a little odd, but surprising cheery. and i love it. it's the only thing i've ever used that doesn't leak. there've been a few times when i could feel the stem. but other than that i can't feel it. it's different to insert than the diva cup, but once you get a hang of it, it's easy.

just wanted to share. i think it's made my life easier. oh. and i ordered it really late on a friday. it arrived with in a week. the only english words on the package, as is mentioned somewhere down the thread, were "sanitary product". but i really don't think anyone would think anything of it. i think if i saw a package like that i would assume it was a translation error or *some* kind of health product. but not necessarily any kind of menstruation related product.

p.s. i'm being careful with breaking the seal, but so far, no IUD related complications smile.gif :crosses fingers:

my two cents.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 22 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

LLL - the diva cup and others are surgical grade silicone. I think some people are wary because of the problems with silicone breast implants causing cancer, but they are very different things. Silicone implants had some liquid silicone and other things inside them that, if the implant leaked, were absorbed by the body and caused problems. The silicone in cups and most other products is solid so there is nothing like that to worry about.

I have many of the same discomforts as you, especially with it being very tight to remove - I posted about switching to the ladycup on this forum a few months ago, and it is more comfortable. It is important to try to break the seal before removing the cup - makes it much easier to drag the slippery bastard out, and it also prevents that suction feeling. You can just use a finger to push against the side of the cup to re-fold it a bit, then let go, and usually that's all it takes for the divacup/keeper. The ladycup is squishier so I actually have to reach all the way up to the rim with my finger and pull down on it to break the seal.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Apr 22 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #25

beachcomber

after my first cycle w/ the divacup, I gotta say I already like it Way more than tampons.
yes it takes some getting used to (insertion is easier than removal) but I assume w/ practice that will get easier.
each time I inserted it, I literally Forgot It Was There. I cannot say I was ever ever that way before, even when things were 'comfy.'
I also feel more confident w/ the cup, understanding (excuse the tmi) amounts & all & knowing how sealed it makes it.
over-all so far? at least an 8/10.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Apr 18 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #26

It's Calamity Jenn

No, this is medical grade silicone. The only way I could see silicone introducing any toxins was if it was subject to a massive amount of heat which screwed with it's chemistry and made it "unstable." The only way that could happen was if you were boiling it, allowed all the water to evaporate, and allowed it to burn. I would be concerned about using the Keeper, because some women have developed a latex sensitivity while using it. Consistent exposure to something like that can actually induce sensitivity.
One thing you might try while removing the cup is to "refold" it as it's on it's way out. That will likely cause some spillage, but if that doesn't bother you, it's no problem. Or, you can try tipping it and taking out one side at a time. I've never tried that, so I can't attest to it.
I don't think the suction is enough to damage your uterus. It would have to generate a lot more suction than what it does to hurt you.
If you have pain while removing, do a kegel while pulling it out. Pulling in with your vag muscles while pulling out the cup eliminates that "I'm eviscerating myself!" feeling you might get due to the suction.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
LLL
post Apr 18 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #27

Hi all,

I'm new to this discussion thread, and was poking around to see if I could find more on my question, forgive me if this is redundant! This is my first cycle using my new keeper. I'm psyched about the spirit of the menstrual cup, am really happy with the actual usefulness of it, and really want it to work out, but I echo xi_muoi's post regarding painful removal and I'm hoping I'm missing something key when it comes to a removal technique.

When I go to take out the keeper it is super difficult to get a good grip on it, then when I do the suction causes an unpleasant tugging sensation until I can break the seal, and then finally the coup de grace is when I go to remove it as it is passing the entrance to my vagina it is big enough to cause sharp tension/pain.

I'm a fairly petite build and am assuming maybe my setup is tight? Should I be concerned with suction damaging my uterus? Anyone else experienced this/figured out how to get around it?

I also wanted to throw out there that one of the reasons I went with the keeper over the diva cup was an assumption that natural gum rubber couldn't possibly be introducing any toxic man-made synthetic compounds into my body like silicone? Is this a valid concern?

+Quote Post
ketto
post Apr 13 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

freckle, if you haven't already looked through the archives in here for advice, then you should have a look. I just found it was trial and error figuring out my technique. I found it very irritating and uncomfortable for the first 2-3 months and it slipped out and I could feel it, but then suddenly I just found the right way and I can;t feel it all now (5 years later).

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Apr 12 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #29

beachcomber

diva cup day One (finally! 6 freakin' weeks late- hello onset to Peri-menopause hopefully?!) & so far so good.
not as easy as the instructions imply and have so far found the cup doesn't pop open automatically & rotating it (as per instructions) is damn hard too, so I'm doing an awful lot of fishing around up in there, but I'm hopeful that w/ practice it'll get easier.
and no discomfort.
yes I can feel it ever so slightly, but it's not in any way painful.
and tho this might be Tmi, I can pee w/out taking it out ! hurrah! I think we're off to a good start!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
Mermeg
post Apr 8 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #30

BUSTie

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Apr 7 2009, 06:30 PM) *
1 box of pad and 1 of tampons gets you through 4 months?! blink.gif wow. I don't use tampons, and maybe they're more economical somehow, but I go thru a box of pads a month with average usage. When I'm being conservative and letting some of my underwear get stained, I can stretch a box over 1.5 months.

lol yeah I actually calculated it in my head before I posted it because it seemed weird. I forgot to mention that I also have a big box of "heavy flow" tampons that I use about 2 or 3 of each month, plus maybe 4 to 5 regular ones and 3 to 4 pads. I've had really short periods for the past year or so...like 2 to 3 days of actual bleeding surrounded by a wee bit of spotting on either end...I'm not on BC or anything so I don't know why it's like that but I'm not complaining wink.gif

I still get killer cramps though <----- HATE

and just to keep this post at least a bit on topic...I like all the tips on cleaning/caring for the Diva Cup...I'm so lazy about stuff like that but I think boiling it once a month sounds reasonable

--------------------
last July I came untied...
my trousers, my bra, and my pride
you were so confident that I would let you inside

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 7 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

1 box of pad and 1 of tampons gets you through 4 months?! blink.gif wow. I don't use tampons, and maybe they're more economical somehow, but I go thru a box of pads a month with average usage. When I'm being conservative and letting some of my underwear get stained, I can stretch a box over 1.5 months.

I decided to use the ladycup only on Day 1 since it's always my heaviest, and I want to let my girlie bits get used to the idea of using the cup again before trying out a whole cycle. It worked fine, no leakage, easy to make and break a seal, and very very comfortable. I would definitely reccommend it to anyone who is having trouble with the comfort level of the diva cup... as long as they have iron-strong fingers to remove the damn thing! The stem is much softer than with the diva cup, though, so I actually wish I hadn't trimmed it as much as I had. It's completely unnoticeable and helps a lot for removal.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Apr 7 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #32

It's Calamity Jenn

QUOTE(Mermeg @ Apr 7 2009, 01:17 PM) *
Although, jsmith, I did check out that site you linked to (I was curious where such a great deal could be had) and I used your code and got some new deodorant and a couple lip glosses for $1 including shipping, so thanks!

Oh, good deal! You're welcome (I'll have to look and see what else they have on that site now).

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
Mermeg
post Apr 7 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #33

BUSTie

I got my Diva Cup at Whole Foods actually. It was on sale for $32 down from $39...I knew that's about what they were on the website so I figured it was a fair price. Though I have to say...financially there's not much benefit for me, at least not yet. I used to get the organic unbleached tampons from TJ's for 3.99 and the box would usually last me about 3-4 months, and I'd have 1 bag of pads which would also last for several months. I guess for me it's just more the environmental impact and the fact that I like the idea of the Diva Cup more than tampons. And yes eventually it will save me money (if I can figure it out and use it solely that is!)

Although, jsmith, I did check out that site you linked to (I was curious where such a great deal could be had) and I used your code and got some new deodorant and a couple lip glosses for $1 including shipping, so thanks!

--------------------
last July I came untied...
my trousers, my bra, and my pride
you were so confident that I would let you inside

+Quote Post
Mikayla
post Apr 5 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(lanyo @ Apr 1 2009, 05:33 PM) *
i just ordered my diva cup! pretty excited. i used instead when they first were widely available. i liked them for light days, but heavy days, once they leaked it was pretty horrific. i've just always been hesitant due to the initial cost. i wish there was a store around where i could see it in person. or even if i knew someone who had one so i could better imagine it for me. i hate shopping for unknown items online, i'm a hands-on shopper.

i just loathe paying for stuff i'm gonna throw away.... i'm a huge coupon-fan, but only for tampons and pads. fyi, you can sign up for any favorite brands on their websites and they send you samples and coupons, saves a bit of money considering how much we throw away on this!!

Just wanted to let you know that you can purchase the Diva Cup in stores. They are in all Whole Food Stores and other health food stores. If you go to www.divacup.com and click on "store finder" it will tell you which store is closest to your area. Not sure about coupons and all of that, but I just picked up my diva cup today. Haven't tried it yet. A little scaried still ;o)

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Apr 4 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #35

It's Calamity Jenn

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Apr 4 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Freckle - I have a tipped uterus too, and yeah, pretty much everything is uncomfortable at some point, but I find that the biggest factor is whether or not I get tensed up down there. As long as I am relaxed then it isn't a big deal. It does affect the divacup though - even though the cup is meant to be worn very low, that's pretty much impossible for me. No matter how I insert it, it immediately rides up about as high as it can go. I think it gets pushed up there by my pubic bone. It's kinda hard to describe... but when I read the pamphlet and it said the bottom of the cup should be near the vaginal opening, I was like, really? How? There's no room there for it there! I don't know at all how to describe it, or whether I am normal or not.

I hate tampons with a passion. I think that's pretty average though. Anything that dries the hell out of your sensitive coochie, then seems to kinda glue itself to your vaginal walls and has to be dragged out with a string, it's just not a good idea. I hate how they feel inside too, very solid and unnatural. Ick.

And yeah.. I could spend $40 at a time stocking up on pads and tampons, just to make sure I had every kind of coverage possible, so even if the diva cup doesn't work out for you, or you only use it half the time, it's worth a try.

All of the vendors say that the cup should ride low, but I've noticed that for most women, it rides high. For me, even if I insert it low, it will get sucked up. This isn't a problem for me, but I think that the vendors should change their sites to reflect the fact that for many, it won't sit low, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Funny thing about tampons - they would always fall no matter how high I would put them in (and I could feel the damn things all-the-time). But the cup will move up even if I put it in low. Lol, nothing works as it's "supposed" to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Apr 4 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #36

It's Calamity Jenn

QUOTE(prophecy_grrl @ Apr 3 2009, 04:56 PM) *
freckle mentioning the diva wash reminded me - does anyone know of any tricks to cleaning the cup? I sanitize in boiling water between periods and I've also tried the diva wash, but my cup is still - uh - stained. I suppose it shouldn't matter, but I would like it to be sparkely clean.

If you don't mind using something like a coffee mug, here's what you can do -
Fill your cup with hydrogen peroxide, drop it into aforementioned coffee mug, fill the mug with water until the cup is completely covered. Then put the mug somewhere dark (like in the cabinet under your sink) because light screws with H2O2. Check on it from time to time, you'll see that that it's getting pristine again biggrin.gif
I've done this several times, and haven't noticed any ill affects on my cup.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 4 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Freckle - I have a tipped uterus too, and yeah, pretty much everything is uncomfortable at some point, but I find that the biggest factor is whether or not I get tensed up down there. As long as I am relaxed then it isn't a big deal. It does affect the divacup though - even though the cup is meant to be worn very low, that's pretty much impossible for me. No matter how I insert it, it immediately rides up about as high as it can go. I think it gets pushed up there by my pubic bone. It's kinda hard to describe... but when I read the pamphlet and it said the bottom of the cup should be near the vaginal opening, I was like, really? How? There's no room there for it there! I don't know at all how to describe it, or whether I am normal or not.

I hate tampons with a passion. I think that's pretty average though. Anything that dries the hell out of your sensitive coochie, then seems to kinda glue itself to your vaginal walls and has to be dragged out with a string, it's just not a good idea. I hate how they feel inside too, very solid and unnatural. Ick.

And yeah.. I could spend $40 at a time stocking up on pads and tampons, just to make sure I had every kind of coverage possible, so even if the diva cup doesn't work out for you, or you only use it half the time, it's worth a try.

+Quote Post
quakererelf
post Apr 4 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(prophecy_grrl @ Apr 3 2009, 05:56 PM) *
freckle mentioning the diva wash reminded me - does anyone know of any tricks to cleaning the cup? I sanitize in boiling water between periods and I've also tried the diva wash, but my cup is still - uh - stained. I suppose it shouldn't matter, but I would like it to be sparkely clean.

First post on this forum - hi guys! I have had good luck with rubbing alcohol just in terms of getting the stains out, but I only do it very rarely and randomly so I never get it totally pristine. I use a Q Tip to go over it.

\

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 4 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, my period came 4 #%*@ days early, so I got to test out the ladycup a lot earlier than I thought. So far, I am pretty happy. It is much softer and squishier, which makes it really easy to get in. It's harder to check for a seal, but I've never really done that, I just kinda throw it up there, do some kegels to get it in place, and hope for the best. However, it is harder to get out for the same reason - it's so squishy, there's not much to grab on to. The base of the divacup had a kind of a solid part at the base that was perfect for gripping, the ladycup does not have this. Good thing I didn't cut the whole stem off! But because the ladycup is shorter, I can actually reach a whole finger up there to release the seal, so it's still, to me much easier to work with. It felt werid for the first few hours, but now I can't even feel it. It is a 10 on the comfort scale compared to divacup, however, given how it's a bit harder to get out, I don't know if it would be perfect for beginners...

I use divawash and boil it. I usually only fuss with it 2 or 3 times a day, so one of those times is always in the shower (no need to worry about mess!), which is the only time a day I actually wash it instead of just rinsing. Then boil at the end of cycle. It's safest and best for the material, according to the information packet.

+Quote Post
prophecy_grrl
post Apr 3 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 27, 2014 - 02:31 PM