Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busty Mom's of not so wee ones
freckleface7
post Sep 24 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #41

beachcomber

polly- please don't de-lurk!
we so heart you here!

groovy girls are adorable & have been around for quite a few years but are unfortunately just not as popular as some of the other hard plastic dolls. there are tons of different ones availale and if I am not mistaken they share similarties to beanie babies as don't they have ID tags of some sort that tells you their names & b-days too?
maybe I am getting them confused w/ beanies tho, and if so, apologies.

frecklette has several of them & a couch, chair & vw covertible in wild colors too & I just love it all as did she when she was younger.
true some of the dolls are wearing cropped shirts & heeled sandals,but the way the dolls are made they are decidedly and obviously UN sexual.

oh, and when frecklette was wee small?
for her 3rd b-day I think, I scrounged multiple thrift shops and got a cardboard dresser that I decorated w/ stickers & glitter and paint markers, and made her a Dress Up Kit. it was fantastic! scarves & belts & hats & jewlery & purses & shoes & you name it. so-much-fun for ALL of us here & great for play dates too and the cool factor was that it was all stuff I had personally chosen, so you know there was a lot of vintage cool stuff and darned if I do not know where the kit has gone now? dry.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 24 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #42

ah, you mums are so good. i'm glad to have a bit of a mama space with other chicas who believe the world is more than 6000 years old and that little girls are not fashion models in the making.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 24 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #43

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

One more thing before I relurk:

I think I've mentioned it before, I found a great line of dolls available here in the states at Target that I've given as gifts. They're called Groovy Girls and they're soft dolls, so you can give them to younger kids as well. They come in all colors and they're hip, but not skanky. It looks like they recently added Groovy Boys, too.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 24 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

i agree, yeah for scholastic!

pepper, that princess does look kind of cool, and to be sure there are other decent princesses out there. i'm a big fan of the Paper Bag Princess.

the clothes thing is just another factor of the hyper-sexualized gender messages that our little girls get. c'mon, heels for babies? who could possibly think that's a good idea? i don't think they're as popular these last couple years, but i hate seeing little girls with "sweet" or "cutie" etc written across their chest or bum.

i think we should all remember tho, our daughters are not the first generation of young girls to grow up with messages like this. we should be glad they have us for mum's, who can teach them self-esteem and a healthy view of sex and gender as they are old enough to understand it.

i'm thankful of the fact that despite her new found obsession with pretty princesses, as least my kiddo knows that BRATZ dolls look weird.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 23 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #45

beachcomber

yahh for scholastic!
it's about time that someone took a common-sense approach to what is available to our kids.
granted I'm not in favor of or promoting censorship whatsoever, just a little grounded Parental Judgement now & again and if the parent's Won't..

people that say that it's 'too hard to find non-sexy clothes for their little girls' are just not looking hard enough.
true a LOT out there is crap, but if more people would refuse to buy into it literally, things would change.

frecklette is still very much all about t-shirts, jeans & sneakers and I admit, it's gotten old now, but comparitively to where I have actually been embarrassed by the outfits some of her friends have worn over to our house & out when I've taken them places? I thank my lucky stars!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 23 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #46

it's fekking easy man, if they look like a little trollop in it then put it back on the damn shelf! why Why WHY even toy with that look when there are preditors out there already more than willing to see your small girl as "asking for it"? ARRGGGHH!! one little tart on the playground this morning got a triple take from me, i could not believe how mature her outfit was. not even overly sexy (though it was that) but just... Mature! she had on a little cropped khaki hoodie with slim fitting khaki capris and high heeled strappy sandals (what are those ones called that have rope wrapped around and around the heel part? anyhow, those). i mean, i know there is a lot of peer pressure to be fashionable but this school only goes up to grade 2 so wtf. that is way too early to be dolling them up like that, it made me scared for my little tiny baby girl! what's it going to be like in only a few short years, eh?

didja see those padded bras for like 8 year olds? *shakes head*

i just read a little while ago that scholastic (i don't know if that's in the states too, it's a book distributor that goes through the school) declined to carry any bratz products due to their overt sexuality. ha ha, YAY! i hate those fekking ugly things!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 23 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #47

Did'ya see the link posted recently in the This Just In thread, pepper? mad.gif It's gotten younger than little girls. Ridiculous.

I don't know how you moms do it, finding the delicate balance between fun girliness and exploitive sexualization.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 23 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #48

i wish i'd seen it too, that's pretty funny! though a lot of homeschooled kids aren't taught ridiculous tripe and are very, very bright. still, pretty funny.

here's a post from the crazy moms on that other site

<<There are a lot of Christians that believe in a Young Earth Creation. That is, we believe the world, dinosaurs and all, have been around for somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6000 years. Those YE Creationists believe that dinosaurs and humans were created on the same day, Day 6 of Creation (except the flying and swimming dinosaurs, which would have been created on Day 5). We take a literal view of Creation.>>

they give homeschoolers a bad name man. no wonder people laugh at them. idiots. how is that not child abuse, eh?

christine, i like this cartoon princess.

ok, someone please explain to me what the Fuck is up with the teeny weeny little girls wearing shoes with heels that are higher than i wear? the school yard was Full of them this morning, it was shocking! don't parents know that heeled shoes cause changes in the development of the skeleton and musculature of their babies? don't they care that foreshortening of the calf muscle is a serious issue that can result in lifelong difficulties? how is it that manufacturers even think that it's ok to make "sexy" shoes for little kids, that they are even allowed? that the school lets girls wear such dangerous accident-waiting-to-happen foot gear on the play ground? crocs and flip flops aren't allowed but high heeled sandals are? to me this is absolute insanity. i'm shaking my head.

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 23 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

polly, i wish i'd seen it!

ok, a couple of kid related gripes.

1. As mentioned, kiddo just started school, she was in the morning kindergarten class. Reorganization was coming up, where they look at the number of students and decide if they need to add/remove/split any classes. An additional kindergarten was needed, as the classes each had more than 20 kids. The principal called and asked if we would mind kiddo entering the new class, which would be in the afternoon. we preferred the morning, but asked kiddo and she said "i want to go to the afternoon class so I don't have to nap at daycare". surprised at the clarity of her decision, we let the school know that either class was fine with us, so they said monday she would start with the new teacher in the afternoon.
somewhere, someone mucked up. on Monday, she went to school in the afternoon with the other kids from her daycare, but they told her to go to her old teacher, and that she would actually be staying in the morning class. now she was so upset, since most of her friends were also going to the new teacher! how confusing for the kid! apparently, they moved her back because they made an error when balancing the boys vs girls numbers for each class. what bs. i know she'll get over it, and she's a highly adaptable kid, but sheesh. administration sucks.

2. i am so sick of disney. and princesses. and disney princesses. kiddo was so blissfully ignorant of them until recently. bleh. i'd say more, but the ranting about school already wore me out.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 22 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #50

Did either of you see the SNL skit the week before last (the Michael Phelps episode) where it was like a high school quiz show and they had the regular public school kids and then a team of siblings who were homeschooled? They asked a bunch of science questions and of course the homeschooled kids gave answers straight out of the Bible and when the host said it was wrong their "mom" would come out, dressed like one of those women from the Texas LDS group, with the high hair and old-fashioned dress and try to convince the host they were right.

It was really funny, but of course, you can't find it on YouTube or hulu. Poop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 22 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

"lots", huh? well, who can argue with "lots"? wink.gif
poor kids.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 22 2008, 05:55 PM
Post #52

i participate on a local parenting forum that i mostly like but lots of the mamas there are pretty religious. today there was a post about homeschooling and controversial info about creationism and evolution and one of the moms replied that there is lots of evidence that dinosaurs were around at the same time as man and not hundreds of thousands of years ago. this would support the theory that the earth is only 5000 years old. huh.gif
can i just say ~WFT~

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 19 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

hm, yes, gives me further confirmation that i do not want to get this vaccine. besides, i'd have to pay for it. i'm hoping by the time the kiddo reaches 12, some more conclusive evidence will have been compiled.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 19 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #54

beachcomber

thought I would post this as we've discussed it in here a few times..

frecklette will Not be getting the vaccine (tho she does now have shin splint from too much running every day in pe)

http://www.lemondrop.com/2008/09/19/my-gar...1087x1200597655

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 14 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #55

really, hmm. i don't know, tell her i started my period when i was 11 and was in agony from the get go. after two kids it's better but man, i just wanted to die on the first and sometimes even the second day! i guess if she is still in a condition to refuse she can't be too badly off. oh well, her choice after all.

little is just 7, i think i'll get out a book and read it a bit myself first to see if i think it would interest him.

damona that is awesome! little thinks i rock the world too. i cherish this time with him when he still thinks i'm cool. it'll end soon enough i'm afraid! i'm so not ready for the parental fall from grace with him *sob*.

thanks chicas!

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 14 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #56

beachcomber

damona.
ditto on what pepper said: frecklette still has quite a few of her jb's, tho mostly the older teenage girl ones granted, but I don't think you ever really outgrow her stuff entirely once you get to the right age, and as she has written so much for so many ages, I think you're totally fine.
I saw her in an interview recently & it was the first time I think I'd ever seen her besides a jacket cover maybe.
she seemed every bit as real and likeable as her characters.

pepper: thanks for the advice for cramps, but see, frecklette won't take anything when she feels bad like that; I think it's her having to then admit she's really a girl/woman maybe, so she suffers, and makes Me suffer, except I won't, bc being the MOM I send her to her room, lol.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
damona
post Sep 14 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #57

can i go to bed now?

pepper, my 10 yr old son liked the fudge books. he's rather past them now, but he still reads them now and then.

*ahem* said son just informed me "mommy, you are like a dictionary. you know all about all the words in the english language." !!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 14 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #58

thanks polly.
oh man, i could spend hundreds of dollars on books! i pared down my order a bit (just over $100, yikes!) and i think we might check those ones out of the library. if he likes the first one we'll read the rest, that way we aren't commited if he doesn't think they're great.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 14 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #59

I remember them as being okay. Mostly little kid hijinks and stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 14 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #60

hey, i have to send in the little man's book order to school tomorrow and was thinking about the judy blume fudge books but i can't really remember much about them. do you think they are still good stories? nothing horridly un-pc or anything that is going to warp his young and impressionable mind? i remember liking them but it was just so long ago... what do you think?
thanks!

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 26, 2014 - 04:58 PM