Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
neverending
post Jun 12 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #3301

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(arj75 @ Jun 12 2007, 02:11 PM) *
Good Morning everyone,

Thanks to neverending, It finally hit me like a brick, (even though I have read countless women's post saying HELLO hormone problems) that hormones obviously have a major influence for most of the cases here with chronic vaginitis. There are several sex hormones that can play a factor. And I have a shit load of information to start checking into.

A few more questions have came to mind as well.
DSassy, Sorry if you have already answered these questions but I have a few if you want to answer....You being a vegan, I'm sure your doctor has told you of how difficult it is to get enough B 12 in your diet? Has he ever done a blood serum check of your levels for this? (Also, some issues can com into play to mask a definicenty even when being tested) Also, how long ago were you diagnosed with Bv, and what bullshit, as far as testing and treatments has he done?

Secondly, I'm not asking everyone to tell me what they do for a living, but what chemicals are you exposed to on a daily basis? (Just for example) women who work in bakeries...have higher rates of yeast infections, housecleaners who are exposed to chemicals daily for cleaning, increases yeast infections.

Also, there are many sex hormones that may have an impact on this......Adrenal androgens - these are supplement sex hormones stored in your body when its out of estrogen. (yes there are men too.
(vitamin C) ( remember vitamin C is needed for adrenal gland function)
Progesterone - stimulates the uterine glands to secrete glycogen and lipids (our hormones are lipid soluble. this is important. as we already know glycogen is needed by lactobillus (they ferment it into lactic acid)
Testosterone (used to produce estrogens) example of high levels of testosterone causes hairy women lol. (ummm hello my grandma has to shave lol ( also , my sister was prescribed this as a cream to increase her sex drive lol)

Most of these hormones are steriod hormones (which means they NEED cholesterol for production and maintenence. (but we need the good, high density type. (I'll find a list here soon of where this good cholesterol is found.

I'm thinking, that some of us here with the more serious causes, have progressed from a simple case of bacterial vaginosis into hormonal vaginitis.

We need to start snooping around a bit more into the issues of why Asian women are at lower risk for bv, maybe it has nothing to do with their diets. As we have alredy discovered soy plants mock estrogen. What are the effects on the body with too high estrogen and too low estrogen.

I think that some women here, may be lucky enough to manage their bv by being a tad bit more careful..try washing yourself with antibacterial soap, and your partner too. Also, bacteria does get entrapped in the males urethra....slip him in some vitamin c (makes urine more acidic) kills some bacteria lurking around. Make sure he washes his hands and yours too), as we all know men are not the cleanest creatures. (But also, it is a good idea to use a condom, as if your bv continues to come back, it has likely progressed to something more serious..such as hormonal issues, or other health problems.

Finally, someone listens to me.
I really honestly think this is why asian women have less problems with bv because as you have said "soy mimicks estrogen". Also, your research is impressive. Keep doing ya thing! laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jun 12 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #3302

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(arj75 @ Jun 12 2007, 01:11 PM) *
Good Morning everyone,

Thanks to neverending, It finally hit me like a brick, (even though I have read countless women's post saying HELLO hormone problems) that hormones obviously have a major influence for most of the cases here with chronic vaginitis. There are several sex hormones that can play a factor. And I have a shit load of information to start checking into.

DSassy, Sorry if you have already answered these questions but I have a few if you want to answer....You being a vegan, I'm sure your doctor has told you of how difficult it is to get enough B 12 in your diet? Has he ever done a blood serum check of your levels for this? (Also, some issues can com into play to mask a definicenty even when being tested) Also, how long ago were you diagnosed with Bv, and what bullshit, as far as testing and treatments has he done?

Secondly, I'm not asking everyone to tell me what they do for a living, but what chemicals are you exposed to on a daily basis? (Just for example) women who work in bakeries...have higher rates of yeast infections, housecleaners who are exposed to chemicals daily for cleaning, increases yeast infections.

Also, there are many sex hormones that may have an impact on this......Adrenal androgens - these are supplement sex hormones stored in your body when its out of estrogen. (yes there are men too.
Progesterone - stimulates the uterine glands to secrete glycogen and lipids (our hormones are lipid soluble. this is important. as we already know glycogen is needed by lactobillus (they ferment it into lactic acid)
Testosterone (used to produce estrogens) example of high levels of testosterone causes hairy women lol. (ummm hello my grandma has to shave lol ( also , my sister was prescribed this as a cream to increase her sex drive lol)

Most of these hormones are steriod hormones (which means they NEED cholesterol for production and maintenence. (but we need the good, high density type. (I'll find a list here soon of where this good cholesterol is found.

I'm thinking, that some of us here with the more serious causes, have progressed from a simple case of bacterial vaginosis into hormonal vaginitis.

We need to start snooping around a bit more into the issues of why Asian women are at lower risk for bv, maybe it has nothing to do with their diets. As we have alredy discovered soy plants mock estrogen. What are the effects on the body with too high estrogen and too low estrogen.

I think that some women here, may be lucky enough to manage their bv by being a tad bit more careful..try washing yourself with antibacterial soap, and your partner too. Also, bacteria does get entrapped in the males urethra....slip him in some vitamin c (makes urine more acidic) kills some bacteria lurking around. Make sure he washes his hands and yours too), as we all know men are not the cleanest creatures. (But also, it is a good idea to use a condom, as if your bv continues to come back, it has likely progressed to something more serious..such as hormonal issues, or other health problems.

Actually, I'm just a vegetarian. I still eat dairy products. I have had BV on and off since I got my period at age 14...I didn't know what it was, though, until I went to my first gyno appointment when I was 18. I've been on everything you guys have...flagyl, clindamycin, metrogel, etc. I finally just started using boric acid on my own and it's what I use to maintain a somewhat normal sex life. My gyno is wonderful but she doesn't really know what to do. She says she sees some women who get either BV or yeast over and over again and the only thing she can do is treat it and hope it stays away...so there are other women locally out there like this, they just aren't on this board!

+Quote Post
arj75
post Jun 12 2007, 06:54 AM
Post #3303

Hardcore BUSTie

Good Morning everyone,

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Jun 12 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #3304

BUSTie

QUOTE(Italianwife88 @ Jun 11 2007, 10:00 PM) *
has anyone taken boric acid vaginally? I've been on it for a week now (i missed a dose and just continued the next night) and It looks like everything is going fine except the next morning when i wake up i have a discharge of the boric acid; the firs thing i thought was 'great white discharge thats no good and then i remembered that i took the supository and it was white...haha. my normal discharge is back to normal its clear and can be alot of it lately (good thing if its cleaning)

but I was just wondering if its normal for some of the medicine to come out, or if all of it should be absorbed?

I also have this bad taste in my throat sometimes..anyone ever have that? I've only had this when ive had BV.
I used to have this taste all the time when the doctors just kept treating me for yeast infections every month. When i yawn its the worst, like it opens up the muscles in my throat and lets out the taste...

I know that sounds insane but i always have a bad taste in my throat when I have bv....help smile.gif

I start my second week on boric tomorrow. I buy them weekly.. they are 2 dollars each sad.gif no insurance

Hello..
I have been using yeast arrest suppositories( which contains boric acid ) vaginally. Yes, you will have some discharge and some of the product does leak out throughout the day.Some may find this bothersome but as long as it works for me I can handle and put up with it. Also,you should make sure to insert the suppository deep as you can so you can benefit the most from the product. As far as the bad taste in the mouth I have not experienced that.

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Italianwife88
post Jun 11 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #3305

BUSTie

has anyone taken boric acid vaginally? I've been on it for a week now (i missed a dose and just continued the next night) and It looks like everything is going fine except the next morning when i wake up i have a discharge of the boric acid; the firs thing i thought was 'great white discharge thats no good and then i remembered that i took the supository and it was white...haha. my normal discharge is back to normal its clear and can be alot of it lately (good thing if its cleaning)

but I was just wondering if its normal for some of the medicine to come out, or if all of it should be absorbed?

I also have this bad taste in my throat sometimes..anyone ever have that? I've only had this when ive had BV.
I used to have this taste all the time when the doctors just kept treating me for yeast infections every month. When i yawn its the worst, like it opens up the muscles in my throat and lets out the taste...

I know that sounds insane but i always have a bad taste in my throat when I have bv....help smile.gif

I start my second week on boric tomorrow. I buy them weekly.. they are 2 dollars each sad.gif no insurance

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Jun 11 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #3306

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(slim52703 @ Jun 11 2007, 06:39 PM) *
I am no stranger to the world of BV or Yeast infections. for some reason i just cant maintain a healthy balance of bacteria every month before my period i would get a yeast infection and the doctor would give me diflucan. that threw me in the opposite direction and gave me bv so i would get the metro gel which only worsened things and not to mention was messy. so i switched to flagly and that worked only problem is it gave me a yeast infection. so after swinging back and forth a months i started taking acidophilus in pill form which helped a bit but i still had recurrences every few months. My doctor told me to stop taking birth control pill and that helped a bit too. but i got on the Nuva Ring and when i did my swinging stopped. it increased my discharge a bit but i had no more episodes of itching and burning or the odor associated with BV. my doctor sucks she says no one has an explanation as to why some women just cant maintain a balance. but i dont douche cuz it flushes out all the good bacteria as well. Douching is actually bad for you becuase the vagina cleans itself.....thats the purpose of a healthy flow of dischare..did i mention i am also prone to uti's whats up with that

I'm terrified of bc, but this nuvaring is sounding more and more appealing. But I'm sure it will probably just make my yeast problems worse.

+Quote Post
sciongal
post Jun 11 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #3307

BUSTie

QUOTE(chantelhugo @ Jun 11 2007, 06:07 AM) *
Can Femdophilous be inserted vaginally?

HI there, I tried inserting femdophilus vaginally and it gave me the weirdest smell down there!!!YUK!!! I will never do that again!

+Quote Post
slim52703
post Jun 11 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #3308

I am no stranger to the world of BV or Yeast infections. for some reason i just cant maintain a healthy balance of bacteria every month before my period i would get a yeast infection and the doctor would give me diflucan. that threw me in the opposite direction and gave me bv so i would get the metro gel which only worsened things and not to mention was messy. so i switched to flagly and that worked only problem is it gave me a yeast infection. so after swinging back and forth a months i started taking acidophilus in pill form which helped a bit but i still had recurrences every few months. My doctor told me to stop taking birth control pill and that helped a bit too. but i got on the Nuva Ring and when i did my swinging stopped. it increased my discharge a bit but i had no more episodes of itching and burning or the odor associated with BV. my doctor sucks she says no one has an explanation as to why some women just cant maintain a balance. but i dont douche cuz it flushes out all the good bacteria as well. Douching is actually bad for you becuase the vagina cleans itself.....thats the purpose of a healthy flow of dischare..did i mention i am also prone to uti's whats up with that

+Quote Post
lori
post Jun 11 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #3309

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(chantelhugo @ Jun 11 2007, 06:07 AM) *

No.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chantelhugo
post Jun 11 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #3310

BUSTie

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Jun 9 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #3311

Hardcore BUSTie

hey this has nothing to do with bv but how dumb doctors are. i have been on ortho tri-cyclen lo now for 4 or 5 months, my body finally got used to it (i was bleeding in between periods a lot, got my period early for a while too but this month i was pretty much ok) and i go to pick up my new prescription of birth control today and i open the package and it's friggin TriNessa! she gave me the wrong prescription!!! i read online that trinessa is like the generic brand of ortho tri-cyclen but i was on otc-lo. and why would i need the generic one if i've been getting the regular one all this time. and why wouldn't she tell me? she just made a mistake. so i went online and read about trinessa and only read bad horrible things about depression and weight gain and no sex drive and i'm really sensitive to birth control like that so i'm definitely not going to take it. but planned parenthood isn't open on sundays which is when i'm supposed to start taking my pill so i'll have to wait till monday. which sucks because i'll have to take the pill late. >:o

if a doctor can give me the wrong prescription imagine what else they can do wrong... I HATE DOCTORS!!

i'm still doing great on yeast arrest by the way... haha

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Jun 9 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #3312

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(ilovehim @ Jun 9 2007, 02:50 PM) *
Yesterday I went out on a date, and my VAGINA was itching the whole time!...OMG but that's not all, it started burning too. I'm not even sure I have BV or YEAST anymore. I'm clueless as to what type of 'bugs' are causing my crotch-rot. I need answers soon...

I ran out of Zoloft last night...=\

I hear ya. My burning has gotten so bad that it takes up to 4 advil to even help at times. Sometimes its so bad that all I want to do is sleep so I can escape it. I can't imagine that the small amount of yeast they're seeing under the microscope is causing such pain. It almost feels like I have herpes. The burning gets so bad that I can feel it in my feet. But I know its not herpes.

+Quote Post
ilovehim
post Jun 9 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #3313

BUSTie

Yesterday I went out on a date, and my VAGINA was itching the whole time!...OMG but that's not all, it started burning too. I'm not even sure I have BV or YEAST anymore. I'm clueless as to what type of 'bugs' are causing my crotch-rot. I need answers soon...

I ran out of Zoloft last night...=\

--------------------
[font="Garamond"][/font][size="2"][/size]&hearts; Yours Truly...

+Quote Post
lori
post Jun 9 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #3314

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kattkiddy @ Jun 8 2007, 07:57 PM) *
blink.gif wow i cant believe all that i am reading. i am so confused about all of this. i am 30 years old currently with BV and it has been reoccuring for at least two years. i didnt realize that strep infection causes bv. i had group b strep with both of my deliveries and had to have penicillin in an iv. i am also currently pregnant with my third baby. i am very concerned about bv because of the effects it can have on baby. lets see since ive been pregnant,11wks, ive had bv 3 times. first clindess, then keflex????never heard of that being effective. then i was still having symptoms and they said i was fine after looking under a microscope. i did a urine sample the day i was there at the doctor. the office called me the next day and said i had gardnerella in my urine and gave me metrogel. first of if it is strep how do they test for it and second how fo they treat it?????? can anyone help me????????

Hello Katt! Welcome.

Strep infection doesn't cause BV - it's just *another* form of vaginitis. We've just learned that it may be caused by the antibiotics we take for BV. The symptoms are - as far as we know - a "creamy" white discharge that doesn't smell (like BV), or itches (like yeast).

We're all just learning about this, too. It's all new info.

Testing for group B strep during pregnancy is, I believe, routine. Since you've been dianosed with it, you've obviously been tested. And since you've had it before, you're probably going to get IV antibiotics again for your next delivery. As long as the doctor is aware of that situation, and you get to the hospital in time, I think you'll be fine. You might want to consult the pregnancy thread for more specific info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kattkiddy
post Jun 8 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #3315

blink.gif wow i cant believe all that i am reading. i am so confused about all of this. i am 30 years old currently with BV and it has been reoccuring for at least two years. i didnt realize that strep infection causes bv. i had group b strep with both of my deliveries and had to have penicillin in an iv. i am also currently pregnant with my third baby. i am very concerned about bv because of the effects it can have on baby. lets see since ive been pregnant,11wks, ive had bv 3 times. first clindess, then keflex????never heard of that being effective. then i was still having symptoms and they said i was fine after looking under a microscope. i did a urine sample the day i was there at the doctor. the office called me the next day and said i had gardnerella in my urine and gave me metrogel. first of if it is strep how do they test for it and second how fo they treat it?????? can anyone help me????????

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Jun 8 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #3316

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(cinderflower @ Jun 8 2007, 02:08 PM) *
Hibiclense
===========
“Hibiclense douche: This is the standard of care for GBS treatment in
many European countries (that have infant mortality rates better than
ours). At the beginning of labor, you douche with chlorhexidine
gluconate (brand name: Hibiclense). This product is available over the
counter at the drugstore.”

I use Hibiclens to sterilize reusable equipment and I would never use it as a douche. To be perfectly honest, overdouching is responsible for a lot of bv. If I were any of you, I wouldn't use Hibiclens or any strong antibacterial soap on my body, because that's exactly the kind of thing that encourages bacterial overgrowth just as using too many antibiotics has created antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. And douching (while it seems logical) disturbs the natural vaginal flora. The fact that I have rarely douched but am very clean is probably one reason I've only had bv twice in my life.

p.s. Doctors use gentian violet to remove genital warts so I'm not sure I'd use it on myself.

thanks! i wasn't going to try it i just didn't even know what it was so i figured i'd ask. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Jun 8 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #3317

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Jun 8 2007, 10:15 AM) *
It is important to teach women how to douche properly. The bathtub
with a towel to lie on is a good place to do it. She can put some
pillows under her hips to elevate them. Make sure the tip of the
douche is NOT inserted into the cervix. Have her undo the douche clip
until the air is out of the line and reclip. As she slowly lets the
fluid out, she should hold her labia closed with the fingers of one
hand. This allows the vaginal tissues to expand and the fluid to wash
over all the mucosa. As she holds her labia closed, her vaginal mucosa
will balloon out. Some fluid will run out anyway, but keeping as much
in as possible for at least a few minutes is recommended.

Thanks for all the information on gentian violet. I am too scared to try the douching though. I have had bad experiences with it. My suggestion is that if anyone is going to try it, please do not use regular tap water. There is a reason why we chlorinate and fluorinate it. It's so we kill bacteria in it. So, I think using it as a douche would also kill all our friendly vaginal bacteria. Please run to the grocery store, and buy distilled water.

+Quote Post
cinderflower
post Jun 8 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #3318

BUSTie

Hibiclense
===========

I use Hibiclens to sterilize reusable equipment and I would never use it as a douche. To be perfectly honest, overdouching is responsible for a lot of bv. If I were any of you, I wouldn't use Hibiclens or any strong antibacterial soap on my body, because that's exactly the kind of thing that encourages bacterial overgrowth just as using too many antibiotics has created antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. And douching (while it seems logical) disturbs the natural vaginal flora. The fact that I have rarely douched but am very clean is probably one reason I've only had bv twice in my life.

p.s. Doctors use gentian violet to remove genital warts so I'm not sure I'd use it on myself.

--------------------
There are more seams to me than there seem to be. ~me, circa 2001.

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Jun 8 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #3319

Hardcore BUSTie

Gentian Violet
==============
This is an old but effective remedy. Before all the modern remedies
for yeast infection, Gentian Violet was used, and can still be
obtained at some pharmacies. Warning – it will turn your skin
(temporarily) and your underwear (permanently) purple!
“…another possibly irritating, but effective treatment is the
application to the vaginal walls of gentian violet using a long cotton
swab once daily for 14 days.”

“I handle GBS by giving women information on it regarding the risks,
treatment, etc. and leave it up to them whether to culture or not. If
they choose to culture, I do it at about 35 weeks. If the culture is
positive, I give them the choice of herbal protocol and reculturing in
two weeks to make sure the herbs worked. Or they can take antibiotics
orally when labor starts.

The herbal protocol I recommend is as follows (it works for GBS,
trichamonas, or chlamydia):
Add 1/2 teaspoon goldenseal tincture to 2 cups body temperature spring
water. Add this to a douche bag and douche once a day for a week. Also
take 500 mg. golden seal (or 1/4 tsp. tincture) orally TID. Then, use
a lactobacillus implant daily for 2 weeks (a gelatin capsule of high
quality lactobacillus inserted vaginally once or twice a day works
well).

It is important to teach women how to douche properly. The bathtub
with a towel to lie on is a good place to do it. She can put some
pillows under her hips to elevate them. Make sure the tip of the
douche is NOT inserted into the cervix. Have her undo the douche clip
until the air is out of the line and reclip. As she slowly lets the
fluid out, she should hold her labia closed with the fingers of one
hand. This allows the vaginal tissues to expand and the fluid to wash
over all the mucosa. As she holds her labia closed, her vaginal mucosa
will balloon out. Some fluid will run out anyway, but keeping as much
in as possible for at least a few minutes is recommended.

Be sure to reculture after the two weeks are up to make sure the GBS
is gone. Then occasional douching, oral goldenseal tincture, and
vaginal acidophillus is recommended so she doesn't recolonize. I don't
have a definite routine on that.”

i'm doing research and just posting things that i find that may be helpful smile.gif

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Jun 8 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #3320

Hardcore BUSTie

Hibiclense
===========

has anyone heard of that before??

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 164 165 166 167 168 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 07:10 AM