271 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
yme
post Feb 25 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #821

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Feb 25 2009, 07:34 PM) *
I'm all for following doctor's orders. Trust me on that. And if you don't want to take probiotics, you don't have to justify that decision to me.

Good luck. I hope you get well this time, finally.

Very respectful Lori. When I officially joined this post over a year ago I saw your blog and was very grateful for all the information you provided. You are like the leader of this forum because your intention is to help and weed out information thats not in sync with curing this dreadful bacterial vaginosis. What I am trying to say is that you mean well and I admire you for your time and dedication to this forum. Thanks for wishing me luck I will keep you updated on my progress as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lori
post Feb 25 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #822

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Feb 25 2009, 03:02 PM) *
Hey ladies

Just wanted to share a really good, informative forum, a little like this one, populated by ladies sharing their BV experiences.

I've just spent 2 hours reading over all the posts, and strongly recommend you take a look - there are ideas and things that are working for some ladies that I haven't come across before.

Here's the link: Women's health

It's heartening that these places exist for us to share with each other, eductating ourselves.

My eyes are red now from too much screen time!

I've made a few notes of things I might try after a little more of my own research (Bio-fem Gel, Lactose, Molkosan stand out) and I'll report here with any updates.

Thanks for sharing that forum, Grace.

While I'm not discouraging anyone from checking it out, a quick skim of the recent posts makes me feel like the group is where this Bust group was, about a year ago. Very "trial and error."

I'm kind of a cosmetics junkie, so I love trying new skin care and makeup. But I've found out that "throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks" doesn't work so well for vaginas.

QUOTE(yme @ Feb 25 2009, 06:58 AM) *
Well Lori been there done that and I refuse to go back. I just have to accept the fact that Fem-dophilus just doesn't work for me. I have tried them with flagyl and without the flagyl. I have waisted away hard earned money on probiotics including Fem-dophilus. I have heard that it works for some people but unfortunately it failed me several times. With this new doctor I now have I will follow her orders specifically and keep away from anything else.

I'm all for following doctor's orders. Trust me on that. And if you don't want to take probiotics, you don't have to justify that decision to me.

Good luck. I hope you get well this time, finally.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Feb 25 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #823

BUSTie

Hey ladies

Just wanted to share a really good, informative forum, a little like this one, populated by ladies sharing their BV experiences.

I've just spent 2 hours reading over all the posts, and strongly recommend you take a look - there are ideas and things that are working for some ladies that I haven't come across before.

Here's the link: Women's health

It's heartening that these places exist for us to share with each other, eductating ourselves.

My eyes are red now from too much screen time!

I've made a few notes of things I might try after a little more of my own research (Bio-fem Gel, Lactose, Molkosan stand out) and I'll report here with any updates.

+Quote Post
yme
post Feb 25 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #824

BUSTie

QUOTE(kegom @ Feb 25 2009, 04:54 AM) *
YME30

My dear please dont be that sad. Please please I have had it for 10 years this year. But this thing can go away. Last year I managed to fight it off. I stayed away from sweet stuff and I take pribiotics everyday. For 8 moths Iwas bv free. But greedy me I went back to the sweet stuff so jut after my period i geta faint smell. So now I have resolved that during that tiem of the month ill stay off the glucose. It works believe me.My social life is almost back on tracka and as for people gossiping about it?I had a colleague gossiping about it last year and now that the smell is rarely there I use a good perfume and make an effort to be next to him and other so that they can just think that he is spreading malicious rumous. please if you need to talk email me @ dipuo22@hotmail.com. You are not alone. we are your sisters and we love you

Thankyou so much for understanding and reaching out to me in this way. I really appreciate it and I will try my hardest not to let this on-going bout of bacterial vaginosis get the best of me. I truly thankyou again for your love and support and you too are my sister and I love you as well.

QUOTE(lori @ Feb 25 2009, 07:20 AM) *
You should be taking Fem-dophilus while you're taking the flagyl.

Well Lori been there done that and I refuse to go back. I just have to accept the fact that Fem-dophilus just doesn't work for me. I have tried them with flagyl and without the flagyl. I have waisted away hard earned money on probiotics including Fem-dophilus. I have heard that it works for some people but unfortunately it failed me several times. With this new doctor I now have I will follow her orders specifically and keep away from anything else.

+Quote Post
lori
post Feb 25 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #825

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(yme @ Feb 24 2009, 07:54 PM) *
I would like to thank everyone for responding to my recent post and giving me hope and other suggestions. My yearly pap test came back negative like it always does but yet I still have bacterial vaginosis. I started the 14 day supply of flagyl (name brand) about an hour ago and later tonight I will insert the boric acid suppository vaginally.

I am both nervous and hopeful about starting this treatment. I am very hopeful about the boric acid after just reading the post on "boric acid". I pray to God that this is finally it and I can get my life back I will keep everyone updated, thanks for the support and may God Bless You

You should be taking Fem-dophilus while you're taking the flagyl.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kegom
post Feb 25 2009, 03:54 AM
Post #826

BUSTie

YME30

My dear please dont be that sad. Please please I have had it for 10 years this year. But this thing can go away. Last year I managed to fight it off. I stayed away from sweet stuff and I take pribiotics everyday. For 8 moths Iwas bv free. But greedy me I went back to the sweet stuff so jut after my period i geta faint smell. So now I have resolved that during that tiem of the month ill stay off the glucose. It works believe me.My social life is almost back on tracka and as for people gossiping about it?I had a colleague gossiping about it last year and now that the smell is rarely there I use a good perfume and make an effort to be next to him and other so that they can just think that he is spreading malicious rumous. please if you need to talk email me @ dipuo22@hotmail.com. You are not alone. we are your sisters and we love you

+Quote Post
antonia
post Feb 25 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #827

edit:
yme and horror - I'm sorry to not respond with emotional support at first. I completely understand how hard it can be to feel self confident when I have vaginal odor. Please remember that you are a whole, beautiful person, that you are more than the sum or your parts and odors. I would suggest a cheesy intention, tell yourself, or write down one thing every day that you like about yourself/that you do well/that makes you a good friend/etc. I hope you find relief with the boric acid.
lori, thanks for sticking with this board when others have bailed, and thanks for your blog, I've learned a lot from your dedication to us.
mfc10, thanks for the steward article, that is great news that the boric acid that I've been using is approved by her, it always concerned me that such an expert didn't regard it as an option.

I have utilized this board for many ideas in my BV battle and I always promised myself that I would post if I found something that is working for me. The good news ... I have some good news.

Boric Acid always works for me if I get BV (but it always comes back). Also, I started to notice a light pink discharge after Boric Acid suppositories and worried that I was developing an allergy, but I will still use this if I get a bout of BV ...
but I finally found a regimen that is working for me to prevent BV.

Supplies - 800mcg Folic Acid (grocery store), Sliquid Feminine Wash unscented (drugstore.com), ph test strips 1-14 (got these at a local children's science museum gift shop), Astrogide gel (Walgreens), 10ml medicine syringe (local pharmacy) this is a oral medicine syringe and does not have a needle
  • Daily: 800mcg supplement of Folic Acid
  • Daily: the last thing I do in the shower, I wash my vulva with Sliquid Feminine Wash, unscented (ph of 4) and rinse with water
  • After period and as needed: I check my ph by putting a litmus paper inside my vagina. If it reads anything higher than 4, then I do a ph treatment
  • After sex: stand up afterward to dump out semen (ph 7-8). (Condoms are probably the best bet, but my bf and I are monogamous and I use an IUD, pulling out would be a second but he and I are really good at and enjoy coming at the same time) followed by ph treatment
  • ph treatment - fill a baby oral medicine syringe with 2ml of Astroglide gel (ph of 4), insert and dispense into vagina. I always do this after sex and any time vaginal ph is higher than 4.
There are many links on this forum to journal articles that talk about the connection between a raised ph and bv. The normal vaginal ph should be around 4.5. There are many products that are available these days, but I just choose some that were more accessible, higher reviews and cheaper. I've heard lots of people like Sweet Spot fem wash products and the ph is the same (4-4.5). The astroglide is lubricant, but it's also advertised as being a vaginal moisturizer, and it happens to have the right ph (4). Basically my ph treatment is very similar to Rephresh, but cheaper and less wasteful because I reuse the syringe. Plus, you can vary the amount based on what works for you. Before I got the syringe (and when I don't have the syringe) I just put some astroglide on my finger and inserted that way.

The Folic Acid I learned about through this forum and it seems to really help me, in combination with the ph stuff.

By the way, I get recurring BV that usually clears up before my period and then comes back after. My main symptom is odor, but also some increased wetness is usually the first sign of raised ph, sometimes I get some swelling. Since I started folic acid and fem wash three months ago, I have had very little odor. Since adding the ph treatment I have had no odor and minor increased wetness.

Edit: I also eat about a cup of Nancy's plain yogurt every day, but apparently that is great for GI, but not so helpful with vag flora ... see "Sweaty in Social" post on 3/3.

+Quote Post
yme
post Feb 24 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #828

BUSTie

I would like to thank everyone for responding to my recent post and giving me hope and other suggestions. My yearly pap test came back negative like it always does but yet I still have bacterial vaginosis. I started the 14 day supply of flagyl (name brand) about an hour ago and later tonight I will insert the boric acid suppository vaginally.

I am both nervous and hopeful about starting this treatment. I am very hopeful about the boric acid after just reading the post on "boric acid". I pray to God that this is finally it and I can get my life back I will keep everyone updated, thanks for the support and may God Bless You

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Feb 23 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #829

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Feb 23 2009, 08:14 AM) *
I'm confused, too....
Maggie, did Dr. Stewart say anything about probiotics? I'd really love to know her current opinion on that topic.

Hi--the name of the product itself is "Yeast Arrest." It is, however, recommended for treatment of BV on several websites where it is sold. Both of my gynecologists also recommended boric acid as a "kill two birds with one stone" solution for Candida & BV. (My grandmother used boric acid eyewashes most of her life with no ill effects.)

I'm not sure why that MedLine site is so anti-boric acid. (I just sent them an email laying out the issue re boric acid...I'll let you know if I get an answer.)True...I have The V Book also, and it is close to 7 years old. I guess Dr. Stewart has changed her position on this. I was surprised she isn't saying anything new about probiotics in light of the research done by Gregor Reid, et al. Perhaps she'll have something in her First magazine Q&A column eventually.

Take care,
Maggie C.

+Quote Post
lori
post Feb 23 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #830

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Feb 23 2009, 03:33 AM) *
Yeah, thanks Maggie -

But 'yeast'? I thought BV was different to a yeast infection? Confused now!

I'm confused, too.

But yes, BV and yeast are different. Boric acid is usually prescribed for certain types of yeast infections.

I honestly don't know how to reconcile these two pieces of information. On the one hand, Dr. Stewart (a very reputable source, in my opinion) is saying it's okay to pop boric acid up your vagina on a regular basis.

On the other hand, another reputable source is saying boric acid is poison:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002485.htm

For the record, in The V Book, Dr. Stewart doesn't say anything about boric acid being used for BV. Only non-albicans yeast. (Also, she said that it should be prescribed by a doctor and made by a pharmacist.)

Of course that was back in 2002. I guess she changed her position on that.

Maggie, did Dr. Stewart say anything about probiotics? I'd really love to know her current opinion on that topic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Feb 23 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #831

BUSTie

Yeah, thanks Maggie -

But 'yeast'? I thought BV was different to a yeast infection? Confused now!

+Quote Post
lori
post Feb 23 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #832

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Feb 22 2009, 09:32 PM) *
In the January 26, 2009 issue of First magazine, Dr. Elizabeth Stewart's column entitled "Private Health for You" has a section discussing BV. Following is the quote by this renowned gynecologist and author of The V Book:

"Many women experience stubborn bouts of bacterial vaginosis (BV) despite taking multiple courses of antibiotics. That's because these drugs not only wipe out infectious microorganisms but can also eliminate the beneficial bacteria that help maintain vaginal health. This leaves women susceptible to rebound infections -- and the itchiness, discharge and burning sensations that often accompany them. You (directed to the questioner who has experienced repeated bouts of BV despite using antibiotic) may have greater success with vaginal suppositories that are made from boric acid (such as Vitanica Yeast Arrest, $21 for 28 suppositories, at health-food stores). This natural antiseptic has been shown to eliminate up to 98% of BV infections without disrupting levels of healthy bacteria. Plus, boric acid normalizes vaginal pH to discourage infectious bacteria from multiplying. To do: Insert one suppository twice daily. once symptoms subside -- usually within 5-7 days -- continue using the suppositories for another two days to ensure the infection is fully eradicated. (Stubborn infections may require up to 14 days of treatment.) Women who are especially prone to BV may also wish to insert one suppository twice weekly (unless menstruating) thereafter to prevent the infection from recurring."

This validates what worked for me when I had a recurring seesawing of BV and Candida vaginal infections over two years ago. Go into it slowly, though, in case you happen to be allergic to boric acid. Also, I always thought that boric acid kills some of the good bacteria along with the bad, but she says it doesn't. I'd still take /use Femdophilus when using the boric acid though.

Cheers,
Maggie C.

Thanks for sharing this Maggie.

Well, this is certainly quite the bombshell of information!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Feb 23 2009, 12:32 AM
Post #833

BUSTie

In the January 26, 2009 issue of First magazine, Dr. Elizabeth Stewart's column entitled "Private Health for You" has a section discussing BV. Following is the quote by this renowned gynecologist and author of The V Book:

"Many women experience stubborn bouts of bacterial vaginosis (BV) despite taking multiple courses of antibiotics. That's because these drugs not only wipe out infectious microorganisms but can also eliminate the beneficial bacteria that help maintain vaginal health. This leaves women susceptible to rebound infections -- and the itchiness, discharge and burning sensations that often accompany them. You (directed to the questioner who has experienced repeated bouts of BV despite using antibiotic) may have greater success with vaginal suppositories that are made from boric acid (such as Vitanica Yeast Arrest, $21 for 28 suppositories, at health-food stores). This natural antiseptic has been shown to eliminate up to 98% of BV infections without disrupting levels of healthy bacteria. Plus, boric acid normalizes vaginal pH to discourage infectious bacteria from multiplying. To do: Insert one suppository twice daily. once symptoms subside -- usually within 5-7 days -- continue using the suppositories for another two days to ensure the infection is fully eradicated. (Stubborn infections may require up to 14 days of treatment.) Women who are especially prone to BV may also wish to insert one suppository twice weekly (unless menstruating) thereafter to prevent the infection from recurring."

This validates what worked for me when I had a recurring seesawing of BV and Candida vaginal infections over two years ago. Go into it slowly, though, in case you happen to be allergic to boric acid. Also, I always thought that boric acid kills some of the good bacteria along with the bad, but she says it doesn't. I'd still take /use Femdophilus when using the boric acid though.

Cheers,
Maggie C.

+Quote Post
nerdykiana217
post Feb 21 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #834

thats sad

+Quote Post
horror_movie
post Feb 21 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #835

BUSTie

I be home on my days off I don't be smelling like strong fish but as I soon as I go out it get
On its strong point dang I had to stick a tic tac(femdo) up in there hopefully it wil kick in later.

+Quote Post
lolly12
post Feb 20 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #836

Hello ladies. I am new here.... well I've been reading for quite some time. It's relieving to know that I am no alone. I am 28 yrs old and have been having problems with BV the past year or so. I had it once in college, but it never came back. About a year ago, when I started dating my current boyfriend... that's when the problems began. I got it shorty after we started dating... did the Clindesse, it came back immediately. I did the Metro-gel and that seemed to work for the most part. I would get occasional twinges of fishy odor, but I could usually eradicate it with all of the over the counter/homeopathic methods we have ALL tried b/c I was sick of seeing my GYN. The past 4 months have been a downward spiral. I got it, Clindesse did nothing.... after I did Flagyl by mouth, it went away, but has been slowly coming back since I've had sex 4 or 5 times.

The only difference with my boyfriend as opposed to my previous bf's is that he is 1) uncircumcised (but not dirty!) 2) He is VERY well endowed (like 8.5 inches erect... yes I've made him measure) and he is thick and 3) we tend to have a lot rougher sex than I did in my previous relationship.
I just think that his size is causing too much friction within my vaginal walls, and causing a pH imbalance, hence, leading to the chronic BV. Is anyone else in this boat with their partner?

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Feb 20 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #837

QUOTE(yme30 @ Feb 19 2009, 03:18 AM) *
I haven't post in a while but I still read other post on a regular basis.

Anyway someone mentioned something about "Self-Esteem" I have had to get off school buses, out of cars (me being the passenger), get up from the chair in high school to go to the blackboard. And not one single time ever since I was a 14 year old did I not smell like a skunk. It was always embarrassing, painful, and depressing. I have had this Bacterial Vaginosis ever since I was a 14 year old virgin. Well over a decade now, I still battle this horrific smell. I must say my social and romantic life has been tainted ever since, its not fair, I cry and cry, I pray and pray but the smell is so unbearable I am trying my best to cope with it. I have been to several doctors, they all say its in "my mind" or "I dont smell anything" They give me creams on top of creams, pills, and now boric acid. People wanna know why I am weird, why I won't get close to them, why I won't hang out with them, well its because I dont won't them to smell me. I rather give up on a social life and a sex life than to have someone smell me because thats how bad it really is. People at work already know I smell they just don't say anything, but there was a lady I worked with who would make fun when I would get up from a chair, that devil.

My new doctor gave me two months to see a change in my bacterial vaginosis she gave me flagyl and boric acid suppositories I pray that this finally works maybe I can make-up for all the potentially good friends I have turned down throughout the years and all the good guys I wouldn't allow into my life because of BV. Bless you all and I hope theres a cure for this soon.

What a sad story ...

The thought of having to deal with bacterial vaginosis for over a decade is mind boggling. I'm surprised after so long, nothing has worked for you. Hopefully, this time around, the medications your new doctor prescribed should finally clear up your bacterial vaginosis.

Wishing you the best,
Sweaty in Social Studies

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Feb 19 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #838

BUSTie

QUOTE(yme30 @ Feb 19 2009, 08:18 AM) *

Anyway someone mentioned something about "Self-Esteem" I have had to get off school buses, out of cars (me being the passenger), get up from the chair in high school to go to the blackboard. And not one single time ever since I was a 14 year old did I not smell like a skunk. It was always embarrassing, painful, and depressing. I have had this Bacterial Vaginosis ever since I was a 14 year old virgin. Well over a decade now, I still battle this horrific smell. I must say my social and romantic life has been tainted ever since, its not fair, I cry and cry, I pray and pray but the smell is so unbearable I am trying my best to cope with it. I have been to several doctors, they all say its in "my mind" or "I dont smell anything" They give me creams on top of creams, pills, and now boric acid. People wanna know why I am weird, why I won't get close to them, why I won't hang out with them, well its because I dont won't them to smell me. I rather give up on a social life and a sex life than to have someone smell me because thats how bad it really is. People at work already know I smell they just don't say anything, but there was a lady I worked with who would make fun when I would get up from a chair, that devil.

My new doctor gave me two months to see a change in my bacterial vaginosis she gave me flagyl and boric acid suppositories I pray that this finally works maybe I can make-up for all the potentially good friends I have turned down throughout the years and all the good guys I wouldn't allow into my life because of BV. Bless you all and I hope theres a cure for this soon.

Good luck, yme - please keep us informed about how you get on.

Have you thought about taking a probiotic of some kind while you're on this regimen? It seems to help a lot of ladies keep their good bacterias growing whilst the flagyl kills all the stuff down there.

Stay positive - I know that can sound too easy in light of all you've been through - but you are still young and there's no reason why you can't have the life you want, and the friends you deserve.

+Quote Post
yme30
post Feb 19 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #839

BUSTie

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Feb 18 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #840

BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Feb 16 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Glad you're noticing some improvement! I do think Balance Activ is quite a good product, and I keep a supply at home. If I'm ever lucky enough to get laid again it'll be a great thing to use a couple of days before to get rid of the symptoms for a bit!

Well I decided to try Goldenseal as I'd never used it before, but couldn't find it anywhere. Then one day I walked into a health shop and there was one random pot left. It's by Bio-Health and is 125mg capsules of powered root to be taken orally twice a day.

I started a couple of weeks ago and got relief from the onion smell straight away, although the capsules STINK and over the last couple of days my vagina has started to smell like the goldenroot itself, even though I haven't inserted them vaginally (not sure whether people do this or not). I do get some abnormal discharge occasionally, so something is still not quite right, but no onion smell at all since I've been on them.

I'm not sure how long to use the goldenseal for though. I know it can only be used for a matter of weeks, but I keep reading different things. Does anyone know?

I don't know why I've bothered to take it, as like any antibiotic type thing it's a temporary fix. Part of me is secretly hoping it'll be a cure, but I know it won't be!

Are you thinking of trying this Grace? Anyone else used it?

Thanks, Neptune.

It's such a shame that Balance Activ doesn't work quite as well as we hoped it would. The day after I've used it things are really good down there - but by the evening it's back. I had a few good days in a row last week which is why I felt quite optimistic about it.

So I am thinking of trying the Goldenseal root, I've heard it mentionned in various BV forums so it's worth a go. Maybe alongside Echinachea and garlic. So expensive to keep buying all these vitamins though! But I'm up for anyting that might help/reduce things. Thought about trying Apple Cider in my bath water as well, to keep the old pH good. 3-4 cups in a bath is what's recommended.

Will keep you all posted with anything I try anyway,

Grace.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 26, 2014 - 01:15 AM