The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

44 Pages V  « < 41 42 43 44 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pardon me (I'm Canadian)
doodlebug
post May 4 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #841

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Totally O/T to brag that I just flew on the same Victoria to Vancouver flight with Rex Murphy.

Probably not a big deal if you're not a CBC freak like me.

No, I didn't get to talk to him, sadly. He boarded after me, disembarked before me, and the flight is only, like, fourteen minutes in the air.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bluejupiter
post May 4 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #842

Hardcore BUSTie

my understanding is that the provinces who signed on to the national child care program will get their money this year, and the parents will get their $1200yr as well.
Starting next year only the $1200 will be given out. The provinces will be fucked, no new spaces will open up. I think most parties would back up the $1200 IF there were also plans to help create new centres and spaces. I am not saying it's a good plan, just saying what I understand.

I just finished doing research re> professional development for early childhood educators. The community is very very upset over all of this and I hope they make some more noise.

What I don't get, and never will, is who voted for the Cons? And who is saying they like them? Their popularity is growing and I am so confused over it.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post May 4 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #843

(o)(o)

I praise the person who did that on the subway.

Ahhhhh pepper, so true, sure trying to make Stephen look like a saint. Hmmmm, saint fuck-up! The protector of the right wing nuts.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
erinjane
post May 3 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #844

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper, the reason my brother is at risk for not getting the subsidy is because when they calculate his yearly income it looks like he's making an extra $1200, which isn't a huge jump, but for people on the edge of the bracket, it can mean the difference between getting the subsidy or not.

Manitoba had a proposed deal in place last July for a five year plan for childcare with the liberals. That's been scrapped. Here's an example of how little effect this money will have on poorer income families:
A duel earner family making $36000 a year, with 2 children under 6, will get about $350 total for the year. Not anywhere close to the $2400 it looks like.

Here is what the agreement WAS:
http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/cs/comm/sd/messages/2005/PCO_Manitoba_e.pdf

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 3 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #845

...a spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, described the hacker's actions as "inappropriate and disrespectful."...
uh, yeah, unlike harper's actions which have been in no way inappropriate or disrespectful. ~snort~

+Quote Post
oceandessa
post May 3 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #846

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060502/toronto_commuters_0 60502/20060502?hub=Canada

I want to find the person who did this and have their children.

+Quote Post
loli
post May 3 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #847

BUSTie

I'm trying to understand whether Provincial daycare subsidy will be scrapped if this $1200/yr comes into effect OR whether the $1200 is in lieu of the sorely needed National Childcare program that the Liberals proposed.
Does anyone know the answer to this one?

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 3 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #848

http://www.buildchildcare.ca/

sign the petition....

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 3 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #849

that isn't exactly what's happening though, is it? the daycare subsidy will stay the same for now plus we'll all get (a taxable) $1200/year towards child care. it doesn't make sense to me though, i don't actually need another $1200/year, after full subsidy (which i get 'cause i'm poor) i pay out less than $500/year in parent portion towards the daycare. and a wealthy family or a family with a stay at home parent doesn't exactly need it either , do they? i don't get it? can someone explain that to me? surely harper isn't scrapping all daycare subsidy programs and replacing them with $1200/year? every parent i know will have to quit their job and go on welfare, there is NO way any of us can afford $600plus/month for daycare.

sukouyant thanks for the link, it's been forwarded to everyone i know. hope the rest here will do the same, that business is just disgusting. just foul.

+Quote Post
erinjane
post May 3 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #850

Hardcore BUSTie

I agree completely, culture.
My brother might not get his daycare subsidy now because of the stupid childcare thing, it looks like his income is going up. In reality he and his wife are barely scraping by with what they have and they really need that subsidy.

All his budget is doing is screwing the lower income people. Fuck.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post May 3 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #851

(o)(o)

Stephen Harper is a fucking asshole. I benefit from shit fuck all from this budget, in fact my income tax is going up! Well Mr. Harper, thanks for nothing!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 3 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #852

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks, Sukouyant!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post May 3 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #853

Hardcore BUSTie

It's census time! And guess what...the stats-can software for the 2006 census was developed, and will be processed by, none other than US weapons maker Lockheed Martin!

The website below lists more information about this - as well as the Canadian government's compliance with the makers of weapons of mass
destruction, and great practical suggestions for how to spoil your census information.

http://census.vivelecanada.ca

+Quote Post
bluejupiter
post May 3 2006, 07:30 AM
Post #854

Hardcore BUSTie

no budget talk?

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 3 2006, 07:06 AM
Post #855

Hardcore BUSTie

The Queen's Park rally a few years back left a bad taste in my mouth.

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 3 2006, 07:06 AM
Post #856

Hardcore BUSTie

Cindy Sheehan is speaking in Toronto at Convocation Hall tonight:
http://www.nowar.ca/

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Apr 27 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #857

BUSTie

How come?

+Quote Post
dusty
post Apr 26 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #858

Hardcore BUSTie

Hmmmm. I support the Six Nations, but I'd prefer not to associate with OCAP.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Apr 26 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #859

(o)(o)

I agree, this whole thing is bullshit. Was there also not a whole thing with another reserve where an oil company actually illegally transported two of their little henchmen lackies on to the reserve to set up shop? Nice to see that people don't listen to treaties and such.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Apr 26 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #860

BUSTie

I'm just so frustrated over the whole thing.

Here's something from the OCAP website.
http://ocap.ca/firstnations/sixnationmeetingandrally?PHPSESSID=e667b686c937ef4af aa00566634a70b5

Rally against Minister of Indian Affairs Jim Prentice in solidarity with Six Nations

Friday April 28th
6:30 at Kings College Circle
north of college (in the field)
west of university ave.

As solidarity actions are taking place in Tyendinaga, Vancouver, and Montreal, including the blockading of the railway in Tyendinaga, its our responsability to bring as much public pressure as possible to bear on Jim Prentice, the Indian Affairs minister, as he comes to Toronto to speak on "First Nations self-governance". This is the colonial master who had the ability to end the threats by the OPP yet refuses to end this matter in a just and responsible way, and has chosen to use paramilitary force instead. So join people on Friday to bring this message to the minister. We need as many people as possible to help build this protest.

For 55 days now, the community of the Six Nations Haudensaunee Confederacy has held a blockade to defend land that is rightfully theirs from further encroachment by real estate developers and the Canadian government. Early Thursday morning, the OPP tried to break the blockade in a pre-dawn raid by sending cops with guns drawn to pepper spray, beat and arrest community members. The government hoped to remove resistance to the development of Six Nations land by Henco Industries Ltd. The Six Nations community mobilized in response and drove the OPP out, restoring the blockade.

The community has asked or outside support, as they know that the OPP/Military could seize upon any sign of weakness to move against the blockade again--night times are particularly vulnerable.

Every night for some time, Six Nations community members have been on alert against the possibility of police attack. Forecasts suggest it might be raining, and people from Toronto are going to provide support through the night to those who have been defending this blockade for several weeks.

For more information,
call 416-997-1562 or
email ocap @ ocap@tao.ca

+Quote Post

44 Pages V  « < 41 42 43 44 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 10:31 PM