Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Girl With Bad Skin- All About Adult Acne
angie_21
post Jan 24 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

aarrgghhh!! It's driving me crazy. I don't usually think of myself as a person with acne, just someone with sensitive skin who gets a zit once in a while, but for the last two months it's just been ridiculous. I think it's stress, I've tried drinking more tea and less coffee, and wearing less makeup and washing at night, but I think without magically reducing my stress levels it's just not going to happen. I am out of ideas. Has anyone tried pure aloe straight from the aloe plant?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jul 11 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 9 2009, 02:16 PM) *
Sassy, I have used straight tea tree oil in the past as a moisturiser, just applying it with a cotton pad, but I swear by this product line. I think I may have posted that link before, but honestly, it's amazing. It's the only thing that leaves my skin not feeling still dirty and oily, and also not too dry. The moisturiser gel they have is also great for leaving me feeling like my skin can "breathe" I also think it smells nice, though my boyfriend disagrees. I've been being cheap for the last month and using up some of my other skin care stuff before buying more, and my skin is definitely missig it. I can advise from experience not to buy the spot treatment stick (overpriced, just use your bottle of tea tree oil instead) or the nose pore mask, if they still make it, because it doesn't work. The face mask is great, though, but it stained some of my white face cloths green. The toner is OK but not much to write home about. I still use my bottle of tea tree oil for spot treatment, and for cleaning piercings and as an antibiotic for cuts and scrapes.

Yeah, I'm also dead set against going back on BC. I love how I feel more in touch with what my body and hormones are doing now! I just wish I was still more in control of some things my hormones do (such as the two weird stray hairs that reappeared on my chin after stopping the pill. WTF?)

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm planning on getting this http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtm...ldPaginate=true and this http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtm...ldPaginate=true. (Sorry for posting the links but I'm not sure how else to put them in.) I currently use Boscia moisturizer and bare minerals makeup and I really like both of them so hopefully these will work nicely, too. But I will also give the tea tree oil a try.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 9 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sassy @ Jul 9 2009, 07:30 AM) *
Thanks, angie. You're right, I am going to try to tough it out. I'm going to take a trip to Sephora this weekend and try to get more strict on my skin care. I really, really don't want to be on B.C. anymore. I started it at 18 and I really wasn't aware of the side effects and I wish I had never done it! How do you use the tea tree oil? I have some and I am curious about it.

Sassy, I have used straight tea tree oil in the past as a moisturiser, just applying it with a cotton pad, but I swear by this product line. I think I may have posted that link before, but honestly, it's amazing. It's the only thing that leaves my skin not feeling still dirty and oily, and also not too dry. The moisturiser gel they have is also great for leaving me feeling like my skin can "breathe" I also think it smells nice, though my boyfriend disagrees. I've been being cheap for the last month and using up some of my other skin care stuff before buying more, and my skin is definitely missig it. I can advise from experience not to buy the spot treatment stick (overpriced, just use your bottle of tea tree oil instead) or the nose pore mask, if they still make it, because it doesn't work. The face mask is great, though, but it stained some of my white face cloths green. The toner is OK but not much to write home about. I still use my bottle of tea tree oil for spot treatment, and for cleaning piercings and as an antibiotic for cuts and scrapes.

Yeah, I'm also dead set against going back on BC. I love how I feel more in touch with what my body and hormones are doing now! I just wish I was still more in control of some things my hormones do (such as the two weird stray hairs that reappeared on my chin after stopping the pill. WTF?)

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jul 9 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 8 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Sassy, I am going through the exact same thing right now! It's been getting steadily worse and worse since I went off BC in January. Even better, my doctor thinks I might have pcos, (I don't though, I think I just have sligthly high testosterone). But anyways, I am never going back on BC for either of these problems, so I am going to be toughing it out with the Clindoxyl and tea tree oil. I still say tea tree oil will work much greater wonders than anything the pharmacy can come up with, but for me, clindoxyl (clindomiacin and benzoyl peroxide in one cream) is as good as pharmacy crap gets, it at least helps keep breakouts from spreading. Also, my health insurance covers it!

Sassy, if you didn't have acne before going on the pill, and you don't really want to be on it anymore, I would tough it out and see if this is just your body's hormones readjusting themselves. Keep treating it in the meantime, though, because for me I noticed once I was strictly caring for my skin, breakouts stopped reoccurring. I've read that it can take over a year for women to fully recover from the effects of BCP.

Thanks, angie. You're right, I am going to try to tough it out. I'm going to take a trip to Sephora this weekend and try to get more strict on my skin care. I really, really don't want to be on B.C. anymore. I started it at 18 and I really wasn't aware of the side effects and I wish I had never done it! How do you use the tea tree oil? I have some and I am curious about it.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 8 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Sassy, I am going through the exact same thing right now! It's been getting steadily worse and worse since I went off BC in January. Even better, my doctor thinks I might have pcos, (I don't though, I think I just have sligthly high testosterone). But anyways, I am never going back on BC for either of these problems, so I am going to be toughing it out with the Clindoxyl and tea tree oil. I still say tea tree oil will work much greater wonders than anything the pharmacy can come up with, but for me, clindoxyl (clindomiacin and benzoyl peroxide in one cream) is as good as pharmacy crap gets, it at least helps keep breakouts from spreading. Also, my health insurance covers it!

Sassy, if you didn't have acne before going on the pill, and you don't really want to be on it anymore, I would tough it out and see if this is just your body's hormones readjusting themselves. Keep treating it in the meantime, though, because for me I noticed once I was strictly caring for my skin, breakouts stopped reoccurring. I've read that it can take over a year for women to fully recover from the effects of BCP.

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jul 8 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

So I have never had bad skin...usually a pimple here and there but nothing I couldn't hide with make-up. I stopped taking birth control in February after being on it for six years because I was tired of the hormones and my husband got a vasectomy. Now I have horrible skin! I can count 12 pimples right now. They are the big, red, sore pimples that take a long time to heal. I know this is related to my body getting used to being off the pill but will this last forever?? I'm totally considering going back on birth control strictly to clear my skin. Anyone had this experience before?

+Quote Post
muddyeyes
post Jun 15 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #27

Hey all.

I've been suffering from acne since I was 8 (19 now), so I've used everything out there but BC, and it seems really tempting right now.

My overbearing, fundie mother spent her money to give me a Proactiv kit a couple of months ago. Before I knew it, my skin was clogged up with blackheads and whiteheads...worse than I had had in high school.

Right now, I'm using Clinique, and it's calming my skin down compared to that As Seen on TV mess. Everyone's acne is different, and that (Proactiv) was just horrible on my skin. Ughh.

I hope to see the gyno (again, I say, overbearing mother who thinks I should only go when I have kids *rolls eyes*) soon and see if BC will help too.

+Quote Post
zizola
post Jun 2 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #28

BUSTie

Hey folks~

I thought I'd pop in here with my two cents. I have been going to the dermatologist for the past 10 years for my acne and though they gave me things that helped (tazorac, clindomiacin, retin-a, etc) they only seemed to treat the problem rather than prevent. However, after going on and off of bc and seeing the effects of that on my acne, it has become obvious that mine is hormone related. I am now on a generic version of yasmine and my skin is very clear (yay). I also use retin-a if I see any spots on the prowl, along with a salycilic acid toner and neutragena face wash. To counteract the drying effect of the retin-a I use vitamin e at night, which also seems to help with my scarring.

Although I am super happy with my skin right now, I am also annoyed that none of my dermatologists even proposed that it was a hormonal issue. For those who aren't into taking bc, there are a lot of natural alternatives and supplements that also help to block androgens that cause acne, and also pcos. I have tried a few of these and found them to be helpful: saw palmetto (not just for men's prostate!), peppermint tea, primrose oil...

Not saying that it will work for everyone, but I urge anyone with adult acne that's not seeing an improvement to talk to their derm about possible pcos or hormone related therapy...

good luck, and good skin blessings!

~Kim

+Quote Post
loonydaray
post Jun 1 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #29

BUSTie

oh sunblock, lol gotcha tongue.gif I always just use neutrogena

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 28 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Am I really the only person with bumps who's worried about sunblock?
I'm planning to try a Japanese formulation called Anessa, or/and Epicuren Zinc Sunscreen - these both got great reviews on makeupalley. DDF Organic Sunblock is another one I may try, all just depending on the moohlah situation in the next few weeks.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 27 2009, 07:41 AM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

looooonydaray, no i actually posted about sunblock tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
loonydaray
post May 26 2009, 08:01 AM
Post #32

BUSTie

girl_logic:
for the back/chest/etc acne issues (i think that's what you mentioned, if not oh well lol), I've been using Neutrogena body clear body wash. It's a salicylic acid treatment and when used with exfoliation on the back it helps (at least in my case)

+Quote Post
loonydaray
post May 26 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #33

BUSTie

Has anyone tried isolaz? And if so, is it seriously expensive?
I've tried just about everything-salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, proactive, neutrogena, differin, minocylin (spelling?), retin-a micro, etc. It's just downright aggravating. And I am really hesitant to jump on Accutane.
A friend of mine tried isolaz, and it SEEMS great, but dang.. out of my budget much?

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 25 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

hello my sisters in shitty skin! angie, your friend should try OXY wash with 2% salicylic acid. The trick is to leave it on for a few minutes, before washing it off completely- a regular wash cloth will get it all off and exfoliate dry skin build up too.

for the people with sensitive skin, what are you using for sunblock? i tried Neutrogena Dry-Touch, but the chemicals made me break out in small bumps. As it turns out I can only use physical sunblocks (like Avene) not chemical sunblocks. However physical blocks usually leave a white or pink cast (and I have brown skin).
I've tried a brand called Toleraine and I might go back to it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth trying out there?

As for the body, the stuff I've been using on my chest for the past week has broken me out. Guess I'll use the rest on my feet and legs. Is there something affordable that's good for large coverage (chest back neck)?

I just have to vent for a minute. With the change in the weather and more sun exposure my skin is flaring up - it probably means it's time to adjust my exfoliation routine. I think I've had 6 fully clear days in my life since I was in my mid-teens. I've finally given up on trying to get perfect skin, since the only way I could possible get it is by living in a hermetically sealed bubble. It's impossible to keep up with all the minute changes that happen daily, weekly and seasonally, affecting the behaviour of my skin.

Something that still really irritates me whenever I forget to tune it out are my clear skinned friends and relatives informing me during flare ups that my skin looks really bad, and offering their lame suggestions. I think it must be like this for women who are forever being told by their family what they can do to lose weight. I've been struggling with my skin for over 13 years and have done everything within my means to control its appearance. It's not the most important thing in my life anymore, thank god, I wish they would keep their irrelevant advice to themselves.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post May 24 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

He's had the bacne for almost a decade. I think it's a systemic infection or whatever they call it, because the zits are really deep, nasty, and red. I don't know if topical treament will help, but whatever it is, I'm going to have to be the one to take care of it, because he is a big baby about it and hasn't done anything despite my nagging. He isn't greasy or hairy though, he showers every day (dove unperfumed soap), and wears mostly cotton clothes.

artstar, I've heard that too, about the really intense topicals making it worse before it is better. It's hard to know whether to trust your own experience with your skin or the doctor's "expertise" isn't it? good luck with the cleocin-T! My acne was only moderate so I don't know if it's different, but lifestyle changes made such a huge difference for me - always washing my face after eating greasy food, getting some sun, drinking lots of water, getting enough sleep every night, and keeping my hair and hands clean and off of my face. The medication would get rid of the zits faster, but doing all the other stuff was the only thing that also helped prevent them from coming back. Also, when I stopped working in food services, that made a difference too. Leaning over a greasy steamtable for hours at a time apparently didn't help.

+Quote Post
artstar
post May 22 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

Angie, I have picked at a few on my cheek and now have scars from doing that...grrr. I could kick myself. I still have scars from ones I didn't pick at, too, but they aren't as bad as the ones I messed with. I won't be doing it anymore, though, if I can help it. I would find myself doing while watching tv or reading. My hands would just wonder up there without me realizing it. I try to keep my hands busy now, with a stress ball I found. Especially if I am stressed. I find I am tempted to pick more then. So far the stress ball has been working. If it stops, I plan on wearing gloves next..haha. I never picked at the ones on my neck that much, thank god. Those were really bad, I can't imagine the scars I would have now if I had gone to town on those.

My Mom had this too when she was my age (gotta love genetics!) and she was a picker. She's some got bad scars now and she also sunbathed so the hyper pigmentation from that didn't help. She is always telling me,"Don't pick, for the love of God don't pick at them like I did!" She's the one that told me to try going to the derm now before it gets worse. She even helped pay (I currently have no insurance) because I think she feels bad I have obviously inherited her complexion (except the ability to tan part. I don't tan. I am extremely pale and could possibly burst into flames if exposed to direct sunlight for longer than a period of 15 minutes). Bless her.

So far the Cleocin-T is doing ok. I don't expect it to work miracles yet. It seems to be drawing the ones that were already forming out. I did read somewhere that sometimes topicals might make it worse before it helps? It's helped a few but some have gotten bigger. I am just using it as kind of a spot treatment. I was advised to put it all over the problem areas but I am kinda scared to do that. However, my skin does look a little less inflamed and so far it hasn't caused any major irritation.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, again everyone smile.gif

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 21 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #37

brown delicious

Angie_21, it sounds like exfoliation will be the best for his bacne. There are sprays made for bacne out on the market. I've also noticed that some spas do treatments for bacne. Does he have alot of hair on his back or does he sweat alot? He may need to just shower twice a day or at least wipe his back and apply a toner to keep his back clear. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide to the affected areas.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
angie_21
post May 21 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks guys. It's summer and it would be nice to get to see my boy outside without a t-shirt on for once! I already have the tea tree oil, so I think we'll try that first.

2 things I forgot to mention, in the preventative care department: we both that summer sun and fresh air really seem to clear things up. I read about UV light treatments, has anyone tried that? I've also heard that some people tan once a week to keep skin problems under control, though that sound like it migth open up a whole new range of problems if you have senstive skin.

Also, and this may seem silly or gross, but it makes a HUGE difference... in fact, I think it might be what's stopped my zits from coming back all that much since going off the pill. But, do you pick at your zits artstar? I used to "check" my face with my fingers during the day when I knew I had a good one coming in, because I was self-conscious and wanted to be able to run to the bathroom and pop any whiteheads that appeared in the middle of the day before anyone saw them. Needless to say, the irritation, grease, and bacteria only made it worse. I still have to pop zits if they appear, but only at morning or night, with clean hands and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide nearby, and I don't touch my face during the day, ever.

+Quote Post
artstar
post May 21 2009, 03:44 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for all the replies, everyone smile.gif

Right now my face looks the best it has in quite a while. It's done this before, though. I am still using the Cleocin-T. It's already cleared up a few and is drawing out some, but it's not causing more so I'll keep it up. If I start getting some on my neck and jawline again, I'll probably give the Doxy a try. I would prefer to wait until after my doctor's appt. though. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it works out.

Angie, for bacne, he could try using Tea Tree Oil diluted with a little bit of water. That's the only thing over the counter that helped shrink and dry my pimples up. If I caught them in time it would actually help stop a few of them from forming. Sadly, it didn't help prevent them enough, though. That's why I broke down and went to a derm.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 20 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #40

Big Fat Bitch

For more natural bacne cleansing, Lush's Narcotick. If you're not into that/skint, may I advise on trying Dawn dishwashing liquid? I had a weightlifter friend that had terrible bacne ('roids, natch.) & he kept it under control with Dawn.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 30, 2014 - 07:08 AM