The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 63 64 65 66 67 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
chachaheels
post Feb 26 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #1281

Hardcore BUSTie

I wonder what the big attraction is in all those skin toned and pale colours. Not everyone can wear them--many people look washed out in those colours. Gwynny, for example, would have looked much, much better in a dress with a stronger, clear colour than she did in the too pale sheer dress she wore. She's meant to wear rich deep blues, or black, or even bright white.

I thought the red shade Kidman wore looked great on her (and she does have the height to carry it off)--and she's another one who cannot wear pale skin tones at all.

Someone on the board wrote that so much of what's worn to the Oscars now is "safe" and not all that different anymore...and I agree. On the other hand, it must really hurt to be chided a la Fug Girls (especially if you did work yourself up to taking a risk, only to find your outfit listed as one of the worst).

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mornington
post Feb 26 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #1282

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

kidman's dress was beautiful, and stood out among all the white and pale colours. but you hardly notice her; it's all dress.

j-lo looks pregnant.

cameron diaz's dress would have looked better in another colour. i liked the shape, but white just... no.

jennifer hudson looked gorgous - although someone needs to tell her to take her hands out of her pockets - and so did anne hathaway, but that bow was a bit much.

i liked meryl streep and helen mirren.

*goes to read fug*

ooooh... i forgot. Pink-dyed hair (over bleach) that was washing out, fuschia paisey-print necktie that clashed, green knee-length coat (appley grassy green), purple tights, fire engine red loafers.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Feb 26 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #1283

Hardcore BUSTie

Kate Winslet looked stunning! I liked Gweneth's dress too, the color the style, everything. Didn't dig Dunst's it was kind of awkward looking. What's up with the giant bow on Kidman's? Helen Mirren looked very classy.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Feb 26 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #1284

BUSTie

I actually liked jennifer lopez's dress. Though she annoys me. I thought that gwen's dress looked kind of frumpy, actually.

That color Nicole kidman was wearing is beautiful, not on her though. I hate to say it so generally, but its near impossible for pale blondes to pull off such a bold color.

--------------------
"Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren't real.
But they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books,
are true books" -Ursula Le Guin

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Feb 26 2007, 09:11 AM
Post #1285

Hardcore BUSTie

NPR red carpet review slidewhow

i loved kirsten dunst's dress, and hated jennifer lopez's. gwyneth was gorgeous and cameron diaz was ridiculous.

+Quote Post
wombat
post Feb 18 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #1286

Dragon Velocity

People are trying to add height at the crown, these days.

Which prompts me to think: What is that THING on your head?

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 14 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #1287

Hardcore BUSTie

Look, AP, you're practically wearing them for medical reasons, and you're making all efforts, in your pain, to keep them from our eyes on top of that. It does not put you on the same plane as what will surely be Britney Spears in her new travelling outfit of platform flip flops and accompanying bad taste wear.

Also: I did not catch the Police reunion performance the other night on the Grammy awards, but I did see quick snippets of Stewart Copeland, and thought of you.

And now that he is a little bit gray around the edges, he's even more phenomenally gorgeous. How could that be?

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
wombat
post Feb 14 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #1288

Dragon Velocity

I like tight pants and shaggy hair on guys, but I've been over the "sheepdog" indie thing for a long time.

shoes: the worst fashion crime is companies that take something kind of ugly but comfotable, and put a huge damn *heel* on it! Not only is it a Frankenstien monster of abominable ugliness, but it takes away the whole purpose of the thing.

example-- spike heels in back, penny loafers in front
--high back heels on TIMBERLANDS! acccckkkkk!!

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 14 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #1289

Big Fat Bitch

I'm not gonna lie. I have been wearing the platform flip flops around the house. Well, one any way. My cast (& soon my roboboot.) raise one side of my body up a couple inches & it makes me uncomfortable in the hip region. They've been a godsend. But I won't wear them out of the house.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 13 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #1290

Hardcore BUSTie

I love finding places like that, ladyj--same price range as the Men's Warehouse, but far superior quality; and the prices are reduced because they may be selling off last season's stock (and in men's tailored clothes, who cares? It's almost identical to this season's). That deal you got for $400 sounds amazing. I sure hope blanchedevereaux can find something just as good. Let's all imagine that coming to pass for her and her man, shall we?

A cheap suit will make the wrong impression on a judge, and you don't want that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Feb 13 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #1291

Hardcore BUSTie

my father is a suit salesmen which has endowed me with an expensive taste in men's clothes. The man is impecably (sp) dressed and at family functions likes to make fun of what other people are wearing.

Which leads me to say a resounding NO to men's warehouse. I do suggest Nordstrom's Off the Rack for cheap as hell , high quality name brand clothing.( Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole etc.) They also will do tailoring at Off the Rack and I do suggest he gets a suit. If he needs tailoring that takes some time so make sure you go in a couple of weeks before it is needed. You could also try a Mark Shale outlet. If you want to pay full price go to Nordstrom's or Mark Shale, but please stay away from Men's Warehouse. I got hubby a simple black silk Hugo Boss tie at a Mark Shale outlet for about 50$ which is cheap.

The thing about suits is that if you are willing to pay a little ( like 200 or 300$) you can get a good suit that he will wear forever. Funerals, wedding etc.

On our last trip to Off the Rack we got a black three button Calvin Klein suit, two shirts( one again Calvin Klein) and two ties for under 400$. Which is a fantastic deal. He will wear the hell out of that suit.

I must admit I am total snob about men's suits but it's in my blood really.

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Feb 13 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #1292

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(blanchedeveraux @ Feb 13 2007, 11:06 AM) *

I'm really, really sorry to come in here and de-rail, but I know the crimes of fashion busties might be able to help me.

What is a good men's clothing store, where I can take my husband, and tell a salesperson the following:

"This is my husband. He has not worn a tie since catholic school. he does not own a suit - he didn't even wear one for our wedding. However - he has to go to court for sole custody of his son. Please, please dress him appropriately."

I thought maybe Express Men, but I'm not sure if that's too flashy.
There is NO way I can leave him to his own devices, and he has GOT to look sharp.

thank you all so much!

BLANCHE: Do you have a Men's Wearhouse near you? They're really good like that, and not too awfully high priced. They have them all over, I think. You might try that.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 13 2007, 07:38 AM
Post #1293

Hardcore BUSTie

I agree with mouse. Skinny jeans worn a size too small even by skinny girls looks, in my opinion, just as "ass" as what you're describing, kelkello. Too bad your friend doesn't believe in just getting her real size--she'd look a lot better in her skinny jeans.

I'm 100% behind Jackie Kennedy's edict--all your clothes should be 1/2 a size "too big"; they should never, ever be too small.

re: platform flip flops--anyone who wears those will confirm their idiocy for all the world to see. However, once those things are put on a store shelf, they tend to sell...which means, we'll be surrounded by them soon enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mouse
post Feb 12 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #1294

Most Likely Procrastinating

she's wearing the wrong size. which is an entirely different kind of fashion faux pas.

*will staunchly champion skinny jeans regardless*

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Feb 12 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #1295

BUSTie

see, thats what I'm imagining myself looking like :::shivers:::

I saw a pair of foam platform flip flops in a store window today. Those aren't "in" are they"
ick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Feb 12 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #1296

The rest is gravy...

I guess the skinny jeans thing is really a matter of opinion. My friend wears them and she has huge hips and butt. They look terrible on her. She looks like she tried to squeeze herself into sausage casings. However, she thinks she looks fabulous. Who am I to burst her bubble? If she's happy, she's happy. Go on, then Jimmy Dean girl.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Feb 11 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #1297

BUSTie

I've got a large hips and butt (My husband likes to say that all I am is butt, thighs, and boobs... ) But I can't imagine that i'd look good in skinny jeans. I'm afraid to try, for fear of looking like a fool. I have REALLY big thighs and I can't imagine that being flattering. I usually wear boot cut jeans, because they're usually easy to find (at least for me) and they're comfy and I don't think they look half bad on me. I have the same problem with the jeans dragging on the floor. I eaven buy "short" and that's the case.

I love the longer shirts. I am pretty short (5'3") and I have large booobs which make my torso look even shorter, and the longer shirts really make me look longer.

I remember seeing my little brother (he was 13 at the time, almost 15 now) for the first time in a few years, and was wearing super skinny jeans, which he pulled off rather well, but still... he had also trid to grow his hair out so that it would have the emo/skater style, but like me (worse than me) he has super curly hair. So he had a four in blond afro. He kept it for a year until he actually cut it. I just remember seeing him and saying
"What the hell man, I mean, what the hell?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
mornington
post Feb 11 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #1298

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

mm, emo boys. i don't know... i find them mildly attractive. some of them.

I too have the dreaded saddlebags. i rode for six years in my pre/early teens (i still ride occasionally now) and it did affect the shape of my legs; i find skinny jeans are too tight in the calf while being baggy around the knees and ankle... they just don't look right.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Feb 11 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #1299

Hardcore BUSTie

Eww, I forgot until I was shopping yesterday, COF: guys in skinny jeans! Tiny little anorexic looking guys in tight jeans, just not attractive. Saw a guy yesterday with uber tight jeans(my hubby refered to as looking painted on) a skin tight t-shirt, black chucks, and shaggy hair with his bangs all in his eyes. I wanted to buy him a sandwich and shave his damn head.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 10 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #1300

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm only okay with pants that make me look taller and leaner, and put the width of my hips in a respective proportion to the span of my shoulders, but where are these little magic devils, hmm?

And I agree, too, that the marketing of the slim legged pant is being done with a real bias against bigger women--because they do look a lot better on us larger than average ladies than other types of pants. And I wonder why that is. It started with the horrible Audrey Hepburn AC/DC ad run by the Gap, continued into last September's Vogue where page after page featured women bemoaning the need to be skinny to wear the "new" straight jeans, and then carried on with talk show hosts and their fashion shows yammering on about how the slim legged pant just isn't the choice for the plus size lady.

If we all had to be petite ballerinas and gymnasts to wear the skinny jeans, there's be no market in existence at all for them, and they'd never be sold. So let's all call bullshit on what Mouse rightly called "the fashion patriarchy".

But: like hellotampon says, the lower waist pant does flatter a differently shaped figure. What I can't stand about fashion is that it's always and "either/or" situation: either the skinny jeans are all you can find, and all the other styles are banished--or, has it has been over the last 2 decades or so, the lowrise flare shape has been all you could see in the stores (dare to wear anything else? You're wearing "Mom Jeans"! humiliating!).

--------------------

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 63 64 65 66 67 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 22, 2014 - 07:05 PM