Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 201 202 203 204 205 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
anitsirhc
post Apr 4 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #4041

Hardcore BUSTie

ok so i inserted the flagyl 2 nights ago. i think i'm better but i'm not really sure. i'm still bleeding (not time for me to have my period of course), but now it seems more like just blood instead of blood and discharge.

whenever i had bv i never felt like i, myself smelled, it was the discharge that smelled. so, it's kind of gross, but i've been smelling my panty liners to see if the smell is gone. i think it's still there a little bit. so i am going to put another pill in tonight.

i don't think i have a yeast infection, i've been taking a lot of acidophilus so i think that is keeping that away. yesterday i did get the powdery discharge that other people talked about, but it only lasted for a day.

so what i think i'm going to do is put another one in tonight. and i'll probably still be bleeding when it's time for my normal period to come (which is next week) so then i will wait till after my period to see how i am. i feel a lot dryer than before. so i think it is working. smile.gif i'll keep updating.

oh and again, what are your opinions on rephresh as a preventative? thanks biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Apr 4 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #4042

BUSTie

QUOTE(minayun @ Apr 4 2007, 08:59 PM) *
It's been a week with both and i am not feeling any better at all. Still having the vaginal pain and burning and my abdomen, pelvic area and lower back hurts really bad. Shouldn't I be feeling somewhat better by now?
Thanks...

Awhile back, I wrote the following to another poster here who was diagnosed with BV, but was still having burning/pain vaginally. Perhaps due to the fact you have been on antibiotics quite a bit lately, you may have gotten a yeast infection as well. Just because an over-the-counter anti-yeast cream didn't work, doesn't mean you don't have one. Worth thinking about, since BV rarely causes burning/pain. My post was as follows:

My regular gyn was out of town & I had to go to an older female gyn who is supposed to be really good. Well, she did a vaginal swab, ran it under a microscope & said she saw NO INFECTION. I was in agony--awful burning--so I insisted on an appointment with my regular gyn as soon as he returned later that week. He was an EXPERT with the microscope (unfortunately, he died this past summer!!) and he said not only did I have a yeast infection, but BV as well. Some docs simply are very bad at interpreting what they see under the microscope. What helped get rid of both infections at once was using boric acid in geletin capsules vaginally. I hated the thought of putting something acidic in an already-inflamed vagina, but it really didn't make the burning worse. There is watery discharge when using boric acid, so wear a pantyliner. I just used one every night for 7 nights (some use for 14 nights). I took oral acidophilis, yogurt, kefir, etc. at the same time, since boric acid also kills the good bacteria in the vaginal lining. By the way---yeast infections are not caused by bacteria--they are caused by several possible species of Candida. Over-the-counter yeast treatments are effective only against the most-common species, i.e., Candida albicans. If your infection is caused by Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, etc. those creams won't work. Easily-obtainable treatments that WILL work against those are boric acid, tea tree oil (I like the vegetable oil-based suppositories that can be purchased online or at most healthfood stores), and, believe it or not, the old-fashioned prescription remedy, Nystatin (my gyn prescribed the vaginal Nystatin ovules for me one other time).

Hope this helps!
maggie c.

+Quote Post
minayun
post Apr 4 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #4043

QUOTE(minayun @ Mar 19 2007, 02:28 AM) *
Hello, i was just told friday that I have BV. I ended up going to the emergency room because I was in a great deal of pain. My clinic had thought maybe i had a bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics for that, about three weeks ago, but the symptoms never went away. Earlier during the week i had tried an over the counter yeast infection treatment but didn't work either. So, now that I know what it is, they have put me on Flaygl for seven days. I was wondering, for those who have been on flagyl, how long it usually takes to start feeling better? The doctor had said about 48 hours but i'm not feeling any better yet. Just very, very nauseated from the pills. Also i read something about Tetrasil and just ordered a jar of it from ebay. Does anyone know if it can actually be put "inside" the vagina? I see alot of you have had long term battles with this, i just hope mine goes away. Anything you can tell me would be really helpful and hopeful. I've had the pain and burning for a couple of months. Now that i found out what i have and have medicine I am feeling a little anxious because I'm not feeling better yet
=(

Hello ladies! I'm back again and i'm still not any better! I ended up going to my clinic because i finished up my treatment with Flagyl and still didn't get better. Since I got so sick with the flagyl this time they gave me Cleocin to take for one week and doxycycline to take for two weeks. It's been a week with both and i am not feeling any better at all. Still having the vaginal pain and burning and my abdomen, pelvic area and lower back hurts really bad. Shouldn't I be feeling somewhat better by now? I'm calling my doctor's office tomorrow to get another appointment but what they can do for me, i have no idea. Anyone have any advice for me? I'm starting to feel really depressed about this whole thing. Has anyone heard of V-Gel and if it works?? I'm willing to try anything right now.
Thanks...

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Apr 3 2007, 08:12 AM
Post #4044

Hardcore BUSTie

I never had problems until my Hysterectomy. HAHAHAHA, I guess you could call that Birth Controll!!!

+Quote Post
neverending
post Apr 3 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #4045

Hardcore BUSTie

I also never had problems until I was put on birth control. I got rid of the bv by using the estroil. I had bv for I think 5yrs.

+Quote Post
pianogirl
post Apr 2 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #4046

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(BubbaLove @ Apr 2 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Hey everyone..

I've had the "bad smell" for a while before I scrounged up enough courage to go to the doctor.. and I indeed have BV. I was given the one dose treatment of Clindesse.. used it Thursday and all is well.

Here is what I am concerned aboout.. I stilll have some residue from the cream inside me.. should I try to get it out or just let it come out on its own?

Also (this is kind of embarrassing ha) I have a few sex toys that I used when I had BV.. should I throw them away to prevent it from coming back? Or is there a certain way I should clean them to get rid of any bacteria? They were expensive.. I would hate to get rid of them..

Any help would be appreciated. huh.gif

Welcome Newbies!

Most of the time the BV will come back after you use Clindesse, I dont suggest you try to clean out the residue from the medicine, let it come out naturally. I had toys too that I ended up throwing out and getting new ones needless to say this was a few months ago and the BV ended up coming back so I probably had some bacteria while using the new ones. Anyway I purchased a cleanser from the "toy store" and all is well. I havent had a bad smell in about 3 months and have used the same toys. I suggest you get a good cleaner and run them through hot water. I dont think you should throw them out but the BV will most likely return as it has for many of us who took clindesse. You should try the flagyll vaginally or the estroil, those seem to be the most promising treatment options.

+Quote Post
pianogirl
post Apr 2 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #4047

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 2 2007, 05:10 PM) *
pianogirl, yes i am on birth control. i was on yaz when it started but i switched after the 2nd month of bleeding in between, now i'm on ortho tri cyclen lo. it's my 2nd month on it so they keep telling me to wait at least 3 months cause my body is adjusting. and then if it doesn't stop she said she'll put me on something stronger. but i don't know if i want to... i feel like if my body is doing this it's telling me to stop what i'm doing and leave it alone. i wish our body parts could talk to us hahaha. did you switch birth controls or did you stop taking it all together? or how did you get it to stop...??

i went to the doctor today and she couldn't test me for the bv because of the bleeding but i told her i know what the discharge is like when i have the bv because i've been dealing with it for 9 months now (wow i just realized how long...) so she gave me flagyl (metronidazole however you spell it) and i'm going to insert the pill tonight! i'm kind of excited, i really hope this works. i'll update on here tomorrow or the day after. wish me luck!!!

Hey I actually stopped taking BC pills because of the nonstop bleeding. I had the smell problem for over a year and a half before I found relief from the estroil. I also didnt have a smell problem until I started BC pills. I personally dont think I will ever take them again. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 2 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #4048

Hardcore BUSTie

ok i just put the flagyl in! honestly, i'm kind of nervous. right before i went to put it in i thought, "oh my god i have to go read the board again and make sure this is what they did and that i'm not putting the wrong pill in." hahaha but then i calmed down and did it. so we'll see what happens. i also just took 3 acidophilus pills, a multivitamin, a garlic pill and vitamin c. i thought i would take every supplement i have in the house that is good for the girl parts to try and help the process and also keep the yeast away.

bvgirl... i just thought i'd let you know that i've heard/read in more than one place that the vaginal washes are actually bad to use, or at least the summer's eve ones, i don't know about the others. i was using the summer's eve one and my doctor told me to stop using it. i think it's the same thing with deodorant liners too (i used to use those too.) i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure you shouldn't use those especially if you have a problem with bv. not that anything changed after i stopped using them dry.gif

the only thing i know about the boric acid (from reading other people's experiences on here) is that it's only temporary and that you have to keep using it to keep the bv away. i didn't use it myself though. i'm sure someone else on here who knows more will give you more info.

alright i'll write more tomorrow or the day after about my progress. goodnight! wink.gif

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 2 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #4049

BUSTie

Hello ladies. I am new to this board and I have spent about two hours reading your responses regarding this bothersome BV. I am 35 and I have been dealing with BV off and on since I was about 25 sad.gif . I have been prescribed all the meds and the vaginal meds and they only work for months at a time or as soon as I finish them it is back mad.gif . I am just so digusted. I must point out a few things before I continue. I changed my diet as far as drinking lots of water,no juices,no red meat,very little sugar and lots of protein. I have to say that even though I am still dealing with the smell of BV the smell is not as strong like it used to be when I did not drink enough water. Also, I stopped using sopa on my kitty and only use a vaginal wash(summers eve) but I was on this website that sells PH vaginal wash and other products http://www.sweetspotlabs.com/
and although it does not relieve us on this BV it claims to keep the vaginal PH level balanced when washing. I just thought I shjare it with you all if you have not been on the site before. Well, getting back to my story I have been using deodorant pads everyday for two years straight because the fishy smell was so bad that you could smell it thorugh my clothes and it was the only way to mask the smell. My boyfriend at the time was delaing with the awful smell too and was understanding about it but it makes you feel less than a woman. We all want to smell good for our man and especially during sex we dont want to offend. So it has taken a toll on my confidence. Now that I am in a new relationship *my boyfriend is overseas in Iraq and will not be home until October) I want to get this problem resolved meaning even if I have to use what needs to be used to get rid of the smell for the rest of my lilfe. I am sick of the smell. So I have been reading your responses and I have to say that you all represent beautiful women who have come together to try to solve or get some relief from this terrible BV. I have been reading the responses and answers from JEWELSCANDO and I must say that you are so so very kind and helpful. I have just finished the second prescription of that ever popular metor gel that my doctor just recently prescribed and of course it is back again. I also have been taking acidophilus and I just recently read that I should take the primadophilus because of the enteric coat and so I am doing all that I can to get this under control. I have a slight grayish brownish discharge from time to time but the smell just really I cannot take. I am going out tomorrow to purchase the primadophilus and I was curious to know about the Boric acid. I called wlagreens and two of the locations said that I needed a prescription from my doctor. They seemed baffled about what I asked for. I even called my doctor and left a message to call in or talk to me about Boric acid he knows very well that I have been dealing with this problem too long and I guess since he cannot make his pockets or the pharmacetical companies rich well why should he talk to me about Boric Acid. So I will keep on him on that but in the mean time I will go to Walmart and see what they have. I just wanted to get all the information I could regarding Boric Acid and how to use it safely. I also read somewhere on here about Yeast Arrest http://www.taoofherbs.com/products/308/Vit...YeastArrest.htm does anyone know if this is worth taking? It says that it has 600 mg of Boric Acid and so is it just as potent as Boric Acid? I still wanted to se what my doctor thinks about Boric Acid especially if it is working for so many of you. I am glad that I came across this site because I did not realize how many other women have the same problem month after month after month. It kind of makes me feel better but what would really make me feel beter is if I can get this under control, get on some type of maintainance program like with the primadophilus and the boric acid and or the yeast arrest. I am going to make the steps in order to have confidence in general and especially during sex. Also, I read that someonw was experiencing an ammonia type smell and I have to say that from time to time I have that smell but not like I use to since I have been drinking more water and watching my diet.
Here is the website where I plan to purchase the primadophilus http://www.homeherb.com/productdetail.asp?pid=21507.
Well, I would appreciate any and all kinds of feedback you would like to offer me concerning any and all aspects of BV and Boric Acid and or Yeast Arrest. I will pass on any information that I come across regarding BV. So that means I am going to make this my new home. I will be a regular. Thank you in advance for any and all information you provide and share.
Talk to you very soon.
BVGIRL

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
BubbaLove
post Apr 2 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #4050

Hey everyone..

I've had the "bad smell" for a while before I scrounged up enough courage to go to the doctor.. and I indeed have BV. I was given the one dose treatment of Clindesse.. used it Thursday and all is well.

Here is what I am concerned aboout.. I stilll have some residue from the cream inside me.. should I try to get it out or just let it come out on its own?

Also (this is kind of embarrassing ha) I have a few sex toys that I used when I had BV.. should I throw them away to prevent it from coming back? Or is there a certain way I should clean them to get rid of any bacteria? They were expensive.. I would hate to get rid of them..

Any help would be appreciated. huh.gif

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 2 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #4051

Hardcore BUSTie

oh by the way, i'm trying to think of what to use just as a preventative after i use the flagyl, i'm thinking of rephresh... is that something worth trying??

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 2 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #4052

Hardcore BUSTie

pianogirl, yes i am on birth control. i was on yaz when it started but i switched after the 2nd month of bleeding in between, now i'm on ortho tri cyclen lo. it's my 2nd month on it so they keep telling me to wait at least 3 months cause my body is adjusting. and then if it doesn't stop she said she'll put me on something stronger. but i don't know if i want to... i feel like if my body is doing this it's telling me to stop what i'm doing and leave it alone. i wish our body parts could talk to us hahaha. did you switch birth controls or did you stop taking it all together? or how did you get it to stop...??

i went to the doctor today and she couldn't test me for the bv because of the bleeding but i told her i know what the discharge is like when i have the bv because i've been dealing with it for 9 months now (wow i just realized how long...) so she gave me flagyl (metronidazole however you spell it) and i'm going to insert the pill tonight! i'm kind of excited, i really hope this works. i'll update on here tomorrow or the day after. wish me luck!!!

+Quote Post
pianogirl
post Apr 1 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #4053

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 1 2007, 04:51 PM) *
well tomorrow i was supposed to go to the doctor so they can test me for bv (i know i have it) and get some flagyl and then put it in vaginally, so that i wouldn't have to buy it online. but, of course for the 4th month in a row i'm bleeding in between my period so now they won't be able to check anything. i really hate this so much. why can we just be normal and bleed when we're supposed to bleed and have normal body parts that don't get infected over and over again. it's bad enough we have to bleed every month! sad.gif this is starting to depress me again.

I have a question: Are you on birth control? I was on seasonale when this problem started and since you mentioned bleeding I was curious.

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 1 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #4054

Hardcore BUSTie

well tomorrow i was supposed to go to the doctor so they can test me for bv (i know i have it) and get some flagyl and then put it in vaginally, so that i wouldn't have to buy it online. but, of course for the 4th month in a row i'm bleeding in between my period so now they won't be able to check anything. i really hate this so much. why can we just be normal and bleed when we're supposed to bleed and have normal body parts that don't get infected over and over again. it's bad enough we have to bleed every month! sad.gif this is starting to depress me again.

+Quote Post
persona36
post Mar 31 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #4055

BUSTie

Wellp, I'm doing well just with hp and acidophilus. Just started my period, lets hope for the best, this is getting old, 4 years of hell!

+Quote Post
pianogirl
post Mar 31 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #4056

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi Ladies,

I am sorry for some of you that arent having any luck sad.gif

As for me I am still clear after using estroil. I dont take it everyday just 2 x per week for maintenance. In terms of my sexual drive, it is not that great I guess because it is hard to believe that the relief is for good.

Thanks

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 31 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #4057

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes, I would assume cutting it in half would be the same. The 500mg was to much because I used it for 3 days. So, in actuality, that was 1500MG. I also have 200mg's and I cut 2 of those up, and put them in a gel cap. The only issue I saw with that, is it came back out the next morning in chunks, like it didn't really dissolve. I did use 1 500mg's the next night and now my symptoms are completely gone. And so far, no yeast infection. My other issue was I was having sex during the time I used the 3 500mg's which was stupid on my part. I'm sure that's why I got the yeast infection from hell.

With the using the vaginal Flagyl, give it time to work. The smell will still be there the next morning, and possibly the second day as well. GIVE IT A FEW DAYS, before inserting another one. I probably didn't even need to use the 500 the other day, but I was getting inpatient. I would try 1 dose of the Flagyl, then wait a couple of days, just to see how your body reacts. Then, if it's still there, try 1 more. After the smell is gone, use preventative as well. I didn't, and mine was gone for 2 months, but, I wasn't having alot of sex either, (Maybe twice in those two months). So, if you are pretty active, use something like Aci-jel or something as preventative.

GOOD LUCK!! Let us know how it works!!

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Mar 31 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #4058

BUSTie

Miserywithcompany: I feel for you! I had a similar experience after using vaginal Metrogel (vaginal Flagyl). Worst yeast infection ever. My regular gyn was out of town & I had to go to an older female gyn who is supposed to be really good. well, she did a swab, ran it under a microscope & said she saw NO INFECTION. I was in agony--awful burning--so I insisted on an appointment with my regular gyn as soon as he returned later that week. He was an EXPERT with the microscope (unfortunately, he died this past summer!!) and he said not only did I have a yeast infection, but BV as well. Some docs simply are very bad at interpreting what they see under the microscope. (If I were you, I'd get another opinion ASAP.) What helped get rid of both infections at once was using boric acid in geletin capsules vaginally. I hated the thought of putting something acidic in an already-inflamed vagina, but it really didn't make the burning worse. There is watery discharge when using boric acid, so wear a pantyliner. I just used one every night for 7 nights (some use for 14 nights). I took oral acidophilis, yogurt, kefir, etc. at the same time, since boric acid also kills the good bacteria in the vaginal lining. By the way---yeast infections are not caused by bacteria--they are caused by several possible species of Candida. Over-the-counter yeast treatments are effective only against the most-common species, i.e., Candida albicans. If your infection is caused by Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, etc. those creams won't work. Easily-obtainable treatments that WILL work against those are boric acid, tea tree oil (I like the vegetable oil-based suppositories that can be purchased online or at most healthfood stores), and, believe it or not, the old-fashioned prescription remedy, Nystatin (my gyn prescribed the vaginal Nystatin ovules for me one other time).

Hope this helps!
maggie c.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 31 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #4059

Hardcore BUSTie

Miserywithcompany: I'm sorry hun! sad.gif

+Quote Post
miserywithcompan...
post Mar 31 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #4060

BUSTie

Hello ladies. I'm not very happy to be here because of how my body feels, but mentally I'm thrilled at finding others who "understand."

I thought I'd already found and read everything on the subject until finding these posts on this site tonight.

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with BV. Have been medically treated by many different health professional more times than I can count both orally and vaginally. Have taken acidophilus supplements orally and vaginally. Have tried yogurt both ways. Have tried letting my body regulate itself at a doctors suggestion after treating and re-treating for four years. They said clearly they didn't know what else to do and gave up on it. Said the only hope was that my body could work it out. That was 3 years ago. It's comes and goes at its own free will and has really helped ruin my sexual desire. I have been with the same partner for this entire time.

I've read back about 30 pages and have a few things I'd like to share.

In my experience with this cursed bv I've found:

I've had greater success, less side effects and faster relief with the cream suppository medications.
The vaginal prescription meds clear it up for about 4-8 weeks before it comes back.

No metallic taste in my mouth or diarehha like with the oral med's. Yes I'm blessed with those nasty side effects from the oral stuff. Oh and if I want to I can have alcohol if I'm using the creams or suppositories unlike with the oral where you get violently ill if you even eat foods or use mouthwash with alcohol in it.

This is what happened to me and maybe others?? 3 years ago when I took that last round of oral med. (the flagly generic)
I thought I'd gotten the mother load of all yeast infections. Once again- I treated myself for yeast with monistat and it got SO much worse I had to go back to the doctor again because of the pain and irritation. Pay attention because here is where things get weird. They "looked" they "thought" it was a yeast infection. ALL symtoms pointed to a yeast infection (from the antibiotic) except when they looked at it under a scope after taking a speculum of "cottage cheese" out of me, it was determined it was NOT YEAST but an overabundance of white blood cells. They said there was ZERO bacteria in there. Thats when I was told "they have never seen anything like this" and "we just don't know" and "give it 6 month of doing nothing at all to let your body try healing on its own."

I've allowed my body 3 years to heal.
Fast forward 3 years to last week.

Once again, I went to the doctor because of this. It's been acting up with vengance lately. ..the disgusting smell, uncomfortable intercourse, dryness or drippy-ness, itchy, the lower back ache, the constant feeling of pressure in the abdomen and overall sluggish feeling, did I mention sometimes bleeding slightly between peroids or after sex? none of this has gone away in 3 years. Right now I'm lucky enough to be experiencing most of these all at once.Thought I'd try again with a new doctor. So here I am 3 days after finishing the oral flagyl. Once again I'm a dryed out vagina thats getting more raw every day because of the clumpy cottage cheese like white blood cell abundance. It hurts the same as a yeast infection. Raw and painful. I'm taking sitz baths and cramming florajen3 capsules up there. Why can't the medical profession figure this thing out already?

I tell you all right now that there has to be an anwser to have the proper equillbrium. There has to be an answer to the problem. What you are experiencing may not be yeast. Next time you "think" you have another yeast infection ask your doctor to examine the "yeast" and see if its an over abundance of white blood cells mimicking a yeast infection. Maybe we can point the medical field in the right direction toward finding a real cure.
Either too much bacteria or none. ??? I swear I just can't take it anymore.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 201 202 203 204 205 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 12:32 PM