The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Thread Thread: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and Fabric Stuff!
lunia666
post Mar 30 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

Would like to show off my first CS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 28 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #22

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

i know the one you mean, kitten, i like it.

I'm taking this pattern with me to scotland: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=105776.0 and I'm going to make a hat as well. I figure eight hours on a train is perfect crafting time!

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 24 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #23

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I can't remember the name at the moment. It's red and all one piece so there is no sewing needed, I think.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 24 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #24

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

kitten, which one are you thinking?

I want to try the one with the skull on it...

+Quote Post
kellebelle
post Mar 24 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #25

BUSTie

QUOTE(kittenb @ Mar 24 2008, 06:54 AM) *
I am working up my courage to try to crochet a sweater. There is a lovely pattern in the Happy Hooker book that looks simple. Don't know why I am actually nervous about it. It's not like anyone but me will suffer if it doesn't turn out.

Do it! The patterns in The Happy Hooker are great, and lacy crocheted sweaters look great in spring. Which one are you going to make??

--------------------
"I'll stop acting like a bitch when you stop acting stupid. Oh wait, you're not acting?"

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 24 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #26

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I am working up my courage to try to crochet a sweater. There is a lovely pattern in the Happy Hooker book that looks simple. Don't know why I am actually nervous about it. It's not like anyone but me will suffer if it doesn't turn out.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Jan 8 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

how funny.....!! i just came to this thread to post the http://www.knitty.com website. and low and behold, treehugger beat me to it. LOVE IT.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Dec 18 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #28

cryostat bitch

Hey, I'm here cause I want to make legwarmers, too. Have you tried www.knitty.com?

I'm here because I'm wondering if anybody knows how to convert a pattern? Dang pattern calls for a 12" circular needle, which I can only find in a #8. My original pattern calls for a bulky weight yarn that normally takes a #10.5 needle. So...I have some beautiful worsted weight yarn that can use anywhere from a #7 to a #9, if I can figure out how to convert the pattern. It's a cable pattern, too.

If my original bulky weight pattern calls for 450 yards, would it still be the same amt. of yarn if I used worsted weight? And, do I make more cables or increase the number of stitches in the repeat? How do I figure out how many stitches and rows to do?

Hmm....this may be a toughie. Any hints?

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
jayboogie
post Dec 13 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #29

BUSTie

hey...i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about good websites with free knitting patterns for beginners.
I really want to make some legwarmers! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
~Friedrich Nietzsche~

+Quote Post
thatgirlkelly
post Nov 30 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Kelle, why no, no one has EVER asked me if I heard the Cheers song, no once not ever....I lie. All the freakin time!

Wow so awesome to know that the mariah is a difficult knit. thanks for your tips, I will check out the book and am super excited about Ravelry...is there a secret hand shake?

Working on a space invader scarf for the boy. fun fun!

+Quote Post
kellebelle
post Nov 26 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #31

BUSTie

Hey thatgirl (how funny, my name is Kelly too.... do you ever get people asking you if you've ever seen the episode of "Cheers"... "You know, the one where Woody writes the song for his girlfriend?"... duh, no, I couldn't possibly EVER have been asked that question, you're so original....)

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about the Mariah sweater, I call it the "Bane of My Existence" sweater. I knit it in a medium when I generally take a large because I knew the sleeves would be a bit long, but come on.... they're 8 inches too long!! It now sits on the floor in a corner by my couch with the pile of term papers I'm marking on top of it. It so sucks because I loved the cabling and knitted the sleeves THREE TIMES! I guess it's not just me LOL.

As for altering sweaters, go check out "Fitted Knits" by Stephanie Japel; not only does it have some great patterns, she gives a lot of information on how to alter a pattern for gauge and to fit your measurements. Also check out some of the articles on the Knitty.com site, there are some really good ones there for free.

Oh, and if you haven't do so already, sign up for an invite to Ravelry.com.... great links to free patterns and a fabulous online knitting community!

Kelle

QUOTE(thatgirlkelly @ Nov 20 2007, 06:19 PM) *
Hi All! First post in this thread. I'm newer knitter. I've done some socks, a few hats and scarves. Just completed by first sweater and boy does it SUCK! I did the mariah pattern from knitty and even though I checked my gauge the things is huge and the sleeves are ridiculously long and the arm pits are at my waste.

I'm just beginning to understand construction so modifying a complicated sitch patern with cables, like the mariah, to fit the length I need doesn't feel possible. What is a good starting sweater pattern that I could use to learn how to modify a pattern to fit my person. And does anyone recommend a book that I might look at for this type of stuff?

I just finished this in yellow...me likey.

--------------------
"I'll stop acting like a bitch when you stop acting stupid. Oh wait, you're not acting?"

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Nov 26 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello ladies and gents...first of all wanted to say I really admire everyone here for their awesome ideas, there are some seriously cool projects going on here! I'm pretty broke this year for the Holiday and am considering making all the kids in the family mittens. I have some ideas for sewing felt objects onto them to personalize them for each kid (like a hot wheels car for my baby nephew might be cute)...I don't knit so I'm thinking of making the mittens from sweatshirt material?. I'm wondering whether anyone has seen a pattern for mittens anyplace that I could look at. Anyone? I really appreciate any help.

+Quote Post
thatgirlkelly
post Nov 20 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi All! First post in this thread. I'm newer knitter. I've done some socks, a few hats and scarves. Just completed by first sweater and boy does it SUCK! I did the mariah pattern from knitty and even though I checked my gauge the things is huge and the sleeves are ridiculously long and the arm pits are at my waste.

I'm just beginning to understand construction so modifying a complicated sitch patern with cables, like the mariah, to fit the length I need doesn't feel possible. What is a good starting sweater pattern that I could use to learn how to modify a pattern to fit my person. And does anyone recommend a book that I might look at for this type of stuff?

I just finished this in yellow...me likey.

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 25 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

Kellebelle, I'm in MT. I will look for a knitting group. It'll have to wait 'til after christmas though because i have lots to get done before now and then. neat-o.

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
kellebelle
post Oct 25 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #35

BUSTie

Fiddler, if you're anywhere's near Vancouver, Canada on November 9th I'm happy to bring you along to the Sock-a-Palooza night. If not, just plug in "Stitch and Bitch" (thank you Debbie Stoller!) plus your location into Google and you're bound to find a local group or a local guild who would be more than happy & able to teach you sock knitting. Whereabouts are ya?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 25 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

OOOOh, socks - will you teach me too? There's a yarn store in the town near here that I can go to if I get stuck but they don't have room to just sit there and knit. I wish they did. It's a nice atmosphere, all those warm fuzzy colors. Yummy.

fiddler

--------------------

+Quote Post
kellebelle
post Oct 24 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #37

BUSTie

Oh my gosh, when do I *not* knit/crochet Christmas gifts? This year I'm knitting slippers for all my neices & nephews as my mom's arthritis means she can't do as much as she used to. My own projects include knitting fingerless gloves for friends, and shawls/cowls with buttons to allow them to be done up in more than one way or closed with decorated kilt pins that I'm designing.

At least this year I have a Stitch & Bitch group to join up with from time to time. I'm teaching the gals how to knit socks next session!

Oh yeah, and I'm doing a watercolour painting for my Dad of his farmhouse, a mini scrapbook for my mom of pictures of her and I while I was growing up, and hopefully a few crocheted snowflake ornaments, which is one of my signature Christmas gifts smile.gif

And when I'm not exploring my artistic side, I'm trying to finish my MA thesis.

Can I knit my thesis?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 24 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm full throttle into making christmas gifts. I'm making mitten/hat sets for my friends and family - well, for some of them. I have the mittens for my mum finished and am about halfway finished with her matching hat. I may have enough yarn left over for a scarf that matches the mittens and hat. I finished the mitten/hat set for my dad's wife. They're my favorite so far. I finished the mitts for shinybaby and am about half finished with his hat. I've started the mittens for my sis, mandy. i'm not sure i like them though so i might rip it out and start over with a different combo of yarn. I have lots of fun knitting mittens. They're quick and they come together so neatly. Yippee!

fiddler

--------------------

+Quote Post
dusty
post Oct 24 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(anoushh @ Oct 24 2007, 05:35 PM) *
Ok, I'm in love. I'm going to have to learn to crochet now.

And dusty, I've had a bag like that in the works for ages. They tend to be very easy, so that's a bonus.

Hee. You just have to know how to knit...

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Oct 24 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(crinoline @ Oct 24 2007, 05:32 PM) *
Here is a site with some examples, if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Ok, I'm in love. I'm going to have to learn to crochet now.

And dusty, I've had a bag like that in the works for ages. They tend to be very easy, so that's a bonus.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27, 2014 - 03:51 AM