The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plus size girls are there any cool clothes out there for us ?
auralpoison
post Jun 3 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #81

Big Fat Bitch

I've shopped BGB & MM both with success. I'm hoping maybe I can find a good convertable bra from the other now that you've posted it. Thanks!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post Jun 3 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

I found a few interesting websites lately, so I thought I'd share. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.modemerr.com/index.html

http://www.hipsandcurves.com/

http://www.babygirlboutique.com/plus-size-clothing.html

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post May 31 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #83

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm sure most of you have heard the news by now that Forever21 has a 'plus size' line called Faith21, which started in May. It's not available in all Forever21 stores at this time, but in a few stores around the U.S. You can find out more about Faith21 and the stores that carry it by clicking here.

I'm a member of a couple of fat positive/fat fashion (fatshion) chat groups, and most of the recent reviews I've read of Faith21 items, both in store and online, are not completely positive. The sizes are what's known as "junior plus" sizes, meaning their 1X and 2X sizes are supposed to be smaller than a standard woman's plus size. In other words, anyone who wears larger than a size 28 in women's plus sizes will probably not find much to fit them in the Faith21 line.

The F21 store at my local mall is one of the few in the area to stock Faith21 items. So far, I'm disappointed by the flimsiness of most of the garments and didn't find anything I really *needed* to add to my wardrobe. (In other words, most items are very trendy and youthful, as can be expected from Forever21.) In an effort to be supportive of F21's attempt to support plus sizes, I did buy one dress from the store. And I do see a few cute items on their website that aren't yet in stores. Hopefully as time goes on, Faith21 will make some better clothing in a larger diversity of styles and sizes. I know there's a *few* under 21's out there who wear a size 28 or larger.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
prophecy_grrl
post May 29 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #84

Hardcore BUSTie

I love the look of retro swimsuits and they do tend to flatter all figures, but I also see a boob issue, mostly because of the halter. As long as I can wear a bra with a halter top, I'm good. I've had some halter swimsuits in the past and let me tell you - when your neck is carrying the weight of your boobs - ouch! I am still looking for a good swimsuit, but I don't really swim a lot, so I doesn't seem worth the tall cash needed for a good one.

I originally stopped in to post about 2 nice summery dresses I got a few weeks ago - this sexy black one from Old Navy. Doesn't look like much in the photo, but it's super flattering on - very Joan from Mad Men. Perfect with some red shoes - tres hot! This Tommy Hilfiger dress I got at Macy's for $35 (original $90!) - a little more conservative for a few graduations & showers I have to go to this summer. Again, the photo doesn't do it justice. It's one of those items that really looks *better* on someone who has more curves. Also, Hilfiger must have pretty generous sizing, because the regular 16 fit perfect. Also, I love paisley!

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post May 26 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #85

Hardcore BUSTie

They may carry it in smaller sizes, but it's the bazoom and badda bing that makes that suit tick (imo).

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 26 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #86

Big Fat Bitch

Y'know, MissB, they do carry that suit in other sizes besides plus. Modcloth carries very little in the plus category.

It is a cute bathing suit, but, um, I don't see the top reigning in the puppies. It'd be a juggilicious free for all if I tried to wear something like that.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
MissB
post May 25 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #87

BUSTie

I'm seriously jealous of bigger girls -- every time I walk by Lane Bryant I see something uberly cute I would kill to own. I'm in an in-betweenie of a Junior and Misses Size I can get anything to fit me with just a few seam rips. I WANT ONE OF THOSE SWIM SUITS, Crinoline! I live for retro.

--------------------
"When she lowers her eyes she seems to hold all the beauty in the world between her eyelids; when she raises them I see only myself in her gaze." - Natalie Clifford Barney

"I love you for being weak and caressing in my arms..." - Renee Vivien

+Quote Post
crinoline
post May 8 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #88

Hardcore BUSTie

Super cute retro swimsuits!! Get 'em while they're hot, ladies, Modcloth always sells out of this style in a hurry!
It also comes in polka-dot and black, but I think the red is sooooo hot!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
lananans
post Mar 24 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #89

Hardcore BUSTie

Woo thirties - I've been in need of new jeans, and I like the sound of those Levi's 590 - the tum/bum area is definitely my main issue. My Gap jeans always fold over at the waistband, and it's very annoying. Now I just have to find where to buy them in Canada! (But that shouldn't be too hard.)

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 18 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #90

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Damn. I just got an email saying that Figure magazine was folding. I didn't subscribe but I always picked up and issue when I was at Lane Bryant and it made me feel better everytime looking at pretty models with lucious curves.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 23 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #91

Hardcore BUSTie

Just thought I'd share a new discovery for us fat gals with big tums and flat asses. I recently discovered Levi's 590 jeans, which are specifically designed for women with bigger tums. You can find them on Kohl's website, possibly JC Penney, as well as Macy's and Nordstroms (although for considerably more money than Kohl's). I ordered a pair of dark wash bootcut jeans and was happy to discover they're exactly what they say they are: they fit my waist, with minimal bagging in the hips and butt area. (For those concerned with the difference between ladies' and women's sizes, I bought these in a 16W, since I was unable to find them in ladies' sizes - no W. But they fit perfectly, despite most women's jeans being too large in the hips & butt area for me.) Kohl's link here.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
lunia666
post Feb 21 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

I have never heard of that trick before will have to try next time I go shopping
Thanks so much Thirtiesgirl smile.gif

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 18 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #93

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lunia666 @ Feb 15 2009, 06:02 PM) *
I wish I could pull off flats with boot cut paints. I have short leg and can never make this look work for me sad.gif.

Perhaps try it with a straight leg jean. I have 2 pairs of Levi's 505 straight leg jeans in 'medium' length (as opposed to 'short' or 'tall') that I love. They fit me well and are comfortable. When worn with a slightly blousey or tunic-y top, they look great with flats. When it comes to bootcut pants, if the flare of the bootcut is *really* wide, they tend to make my legs look a little shorter. That's why I try to look for bootcut pants that aren't so flared out at the bottom. To borrow a tactic from What Not to Wear, when buying bootcut pants, I usually fold the bottoms up to the knee of the pants before trying them on to see how wide the bootcut is. If the bottom of the pants is evenly matched with the edge of the knee area, or just flares out from the knee area slightly (maybe half an inch to an inch), that's a good pair of bootcut pants, without a very wide bootcut at the bottom. If the bootcut is any wider than that, it will usually make my leg look a little shorter.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
lunia666
post Feb 15 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #94

Hardcore BUSTie

I wish I could pull off flats with boot cut paints. I have short leg and can never make this look work for me sad.gif.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 15 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #95

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lunia666 @ Jan 26 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Since I will be 30 this year huh.gif I feel like am in a fashion runt and am having a hard time finding good clothes that are not way $$$$ that fit me well. I wear scrubs to work everyday so I don't need work wear. On the weekends we go out to dinner with friends see movies etc... nothing to fancy . Most of the times I wear jeans and t-shirts sad.gif . It's so hard for me to find clothes that fit me in the chest area (yeah I have big boobs). I want a more put together look for the weekend some thing wearable and not so blink.gif .

I share your issue with having a 'rack of doom.' I'm just over 5'4" tall, and most of my weight is centered in my torso and boobs. Being on the shorter side, my boobs are large for my frame. I've found what works best for me are kimono style and tunic tops and drapey fabric (like cotton jersey or modal) and drapier cuts that tend to 'float away from' the body, to borrow a line from What Not To Wear. I can't wear anything *too* drapey, though. Too much drape and it tends to accentuate the boobs and make me look like I'm pregnant. And when it comes to tunic tops, I always have to check the length; anything longer than 28" is pretty much a dress on me. I had to learn all this through trial & error - just trying things on and seeing what works best for me.

My standard work wear is usually bootleg cut twill pants and some kind of retro inspired or vintage print tunic, kimono or sweater over it, usually worn with cute flats. I like to dress up my outfits with era appropriate accessories (for example, if I'm working a dramatic '30s look, I'll go for more dramatic, vintage inspired accessories), stylistic details on my shoes and handbags. On the weekends, I tend to work the same look, just with jeans. I have several pairs of dark wash bootcut and straight leg jeans. The straight legs work well on me when worn with a slightly blousey tunic top. I also find jackets work wonders for almost any outfit and help dress it up a little. I have several blazer style jackets in different colors. They work over everything from plain t-shirts to more dramatic looks. ...And when it comes to plain t-shirts, I only wear those when I'm hanging out at home. I have a lot of cotton tops that are essentially t-shirts, but they all have some kind of interesting detail: a rouched v-neck, button placket, lace inset, puff sleeves, raglan sleeves, boat neck or interesting stitching around the collar... etc. The detail makes all the difference from plain t-shirt to cute top, imho.

If you're looking for more inspiration, there's a Fatshionista community on Livejournal where people post pics of their outfits and community members can comment on them. I've posted a few pics of my outfits (I'm on LJ as 'thirtiesgirl,' too), and I've taken plenty of inspiration from other posters there. There's a Flickr community of the same name where people also post pics of outfits, but no commenting is done.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Feb 8 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

Here's one for Busties with a little vamp!
Babygirl Boutique

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jan 29 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #97

Big Fat Bitch

Some links for Lunia & her fashion rut.

SWAK Designs has some good basics.

Shop Translated.

Macy's plus size. Sometimes you can get some pretty good deals. I'd stay away from the Dereon though. Just cos they make it for big girls doesn't mean we need to be wearing it.

The ubiquitous Old Navy has some cute new basics for spring right now.

B&Lu. If you like something, order it because if you don't it'll get snatched out from under you. Fashion is cut throat.

Alloy is a teen site, but they do have extended sizes & I have a few cute dresses & shirts from them.

Alight. They can go from $$-$$$$$. I like the Blue Plate brand a lot because I like patterns/pop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lunia666
post Jan 26 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

Since I will be 30 this year huh.gif I feel like am in a fashion runt and am having a hard time finding good clothes that are not way $$$$ that fit me well. I wear scrubs to work everyday so I don't need work wear. On the weekends we go out to dinner with friends see movies etc... nothing to fancy . Most of the times I wear jeans and t-shirts sad.gif . It's so hard for me to find clothes that fit me in the chest area (yeah I have big boobs). I want a more put together look for the weekend some thing wearable and not so blink.gif .

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jan 17 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

Lane Bryant Woman catalog is shutting down its website. I'm not sure why (and I don't believe it has any connection to Lane Bryant stores, although I hear they're considering restructuring to give their stores more of a 'boutique' look), but it's worth checking out the catalog website for some really good deals, particularly on dresses. They have some cute ones for under $8. They're liquidating everything here.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Jan 13 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #100

I am getting married in february and i went and tried on about five wedding dresses. they are terrible. they are heavy and uncomfortable. i'm plus size by the way. one of my instructors at school makes dresses on the side. she made her own wedding dress and many of her friends. i asked her if she could make me something. she said sure. we went to a near by fabric store and spent almost three hours in there. we looked at patterns and then fabric and lace. my dress is more like an outfit. it's a top and skirt. it's in champagne sateen crepe (sorry I can't spell). it's got flowy sleeves, a cow neck and a flowy skirt. it's going to be beautiful. plus it's lite. i love it. i can't wait till it's done. perhaps this friday will be my last fitting. i'll try to post pictures when it's complete.

thinking of asking her to make me some skirts and black pants for work. it's so nice having things custom made for my body. i don't mind spending the extra money. shit, maybe i'll take some classes and learn how to make my own stuff so i don't have to spend all the money.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 23, 2014 - 07:18 PM