The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creatively Self-employed..., For inventive gals who are or want to be their own bosses!
shinyx3
post Oct 8 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #21

go ahead . . . push the button!

woo hoo! our company has something to sell. now quick, i have to make a site to sell on.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mg4
post Oct 8 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #22

the pay taxes page of the small business association has some useful links:

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/ma...axes/index.html

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 8 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm still trying to figure out the articles of incorporation. i guess the tax id number comes next. yup. way more complicated than i thought it'd be. we don't have sales tax in my state. lucky for me.

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
Muffy
post Oct 8 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

angelle321, I've been considering working for myself for years. Its nice to see another artist doing it. I'm an artist & designer am considering taking some business classes so that I can be my own boss. I honestly think I'd be happier even though I know working for yourself is difficult.

If anyone has any words of wisdom for me feel free to share.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Oct 8 2007, 04:02 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm with you on it being way more confusing (and more complicated!) than I thought it would be. I am a photographer and I have been for years. I just figured it was time I start making some money for something I've been doing and will be doing anyway. This past week in the mail I got some official documents (my sales tax license and the official paperwork from the irs for my EIN) and that's pretty exciting.Wee!

+Quote Post
glassk
post Oct 2 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

i want to start my own business teaching art......... i want to watch this thread.

--------------------
creativity? Art Mash-Up

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Oct 2 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

hi angelle,

i'm in the process of starting my own business. it's way more confusing than i thought it would be. i wish i could just make things and people would buy them and i'd get paid to do what i like to do. not working out that way though.

what kind of thing are you getting up and running?

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Oct 2 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok so I see this thread hasn't gotten much action. *Are* there some self-employed busties around here? Just getting my own thing up and running and I just keep coming up with more things that need to be done. It's frustrating and makes me tired, but it's exciting!

+Quote Post
wayang
post May 2 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #29

this might be the right place for my very first post / question in the lounge.

i recently started my own record label and with the first release out, all of a sudden i have cashflow. *shock*
i'm still getting my head around organising my records in the most efficient and useful way. so yesterday i was going through my expenses spreadsheet wondering what expenses categories there are. i've heard it's best to list purchases in as few categories as possible. i imagine there are 'research material' (ie. books, trade specific magazines), 'entertainment' (ie. business dinners), 'production' (ie. vinyl pressing cost in my case as a record label). what other categories are there? are there limits as to how much i can spend on each category?

any other useful hints and tips regarding bookeeping?

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Apr 28 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

I wouldn't say everyone gets pissed off. But yeah, it's usually preferred if you go through the community forum first. Either way, I think this would actually be a good topic for self employed people.

+Quote Post
acousticgroupie
post Apr 11 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #31

BUSTie

well, thread is here. and it's a great topic. jump in to talk if you'd like, gals!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Apr 7 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #32

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

we can't move it, nor can we delete it; that's why we get really pissed at unsolicited new threads and newbies who post simply to start a new thread. please, please, please pass anything through the community forum.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
acousticgroupie
post Apr 6 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #33

BUSTie

oh...ok.

i was posting to be a member. thought this post would be a good fit here. you can move it if you'd like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Apr 6 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

Welcome to bust, Kristen! Just so you know, we're a self-moderated board, and as such we try to propose new thread topics in the Community Forum under Ladies Who Lounge, to gauge interest in your idea....that way we keep the forum pared down to stuff that is of interest to the whole community. I would also recommend that your post would be well suited to the "self promotion" thread here. Joining the forum and racing in with your first 10 posts so you can promote yourself is not so cool. I do hope you become a member of the community, but look around a little to see how we work.

+Quote Post
acousticgroupie
post Apr 6 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #35

BUSTie

Hey ladies,

I wanted to start a thread to find out who else is self-employed here. I just released a book Creatively Self-Employed: How Writers and Artists Deal with Career Ups and Downs.

There's a message board at the site: http://creativelyse.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=talk2
and some pretty fantab stuff in the bimonthly newsletters. You can sign up at www.creativelyselfemployed.com.

I'm 28...and I do mostly copywriting from my home office. Love it. Breaking out was hard, but I am glad to be my own boss!!

Hope to chat with you here!

Kristen

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 08:57 AM