Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academia nuts
angie_21
post Apr 28 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks star, I was really venting this morning. No way I am dropping the program over someone else's personal problems. I hate that on Monday I will have to go crawling back and apologize for even asking for some time to finish my coursework, but such is the hierarchy of academics. I know that one of the reasons my supervisor is such a hard-ass is that she went through a lot of the same things, and continues to in her current position (her husband gets to be 2nd in command of the research center, she doesn't even get a professorship). I only hope I can get through this and not come out the other end as the same kind of person.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 28 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #2

brown delicious

(((angie_21))) Ugh. Yes, there are double standard sexist standards in academia. It is unfortunate that you are experiencing this difficulty as a lab assistant. I don't know what else to say, but, don't give up!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 28 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I am going to lose my mind. I have 2 papers due in the next 8 days, plus a lab final and a presentation. The worst thing is that I am also working as a lab assistant, 20 hours a week, and my supervisor left all her work for the semester to the last minute and is expecting me to make up for it for her. I have extra meetings an assignments with her all next week, and have been constantly getting in to trouble with her for moving my hours around so that I can make class deadlines. The last straw is that she just threatened to take away my last month's pay because I am leaving to go home a week early, despite the fact that I cleared this with her 2 weeks ago. On top of that, a male student supposedly working the same number of hours as me has been constantly just not showing up to work, and is leaving a full week earlier than me, all without getting in trouble. Guess what, he has a male supervisor....

I can't complain about any of this to the school because my supervisor is my graduate advisor's wife. Of yeah, and I'm working with her in the field all summer. 24/7 for 6 straight weeks, and we are already butting heads before we even get out there. Not only am I extremely pissed at the sexist double standard happening here, but I am really worried about having to deal with this all summer. Right now I am so pissed I want to drop the program and just walk away.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 10 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #4

brown delicious

I don't know many people who started in neuroscience and transitioned into a ph.d. neuropsychology program. That's not to say it hasn't been done...I just haven't heard of that. Neuropsychology is a 5 year doctoral program with the fifth year being a pre doctoral internship. Also, most neuropsychologists end up doing a 2 year post doc fellowship after graduation. Neuropsychology is a competitive field and there seems to be alot of positions hiring, etc.

I'm not sure getting a masters in neuroscience would help him get into a ph.d. neuropsychology program, although I don't know if he wants to focus in academia or clinical work. I know most people who just enter a neuropsych program straight out of their bachelor's. Feel free to PM if you want to give specifics about this.

Regarding the psychology field in general, it is becoming tougher to find positions for internships, fellowships, and jobs. However, if you are flexible and willing to relocate, you can find positions...it just takes work. In the States, we have been too spoiled regarding finding work. Medical students/residents are used to relocating nationallly or internationally for training/work. The cutting of state funding for most mental health programs have decreased the number of training and work positions. I don't throw this information out to deter your bf, but, to let him know what he is walking into. I didn't become informed about this until the end of my education. I will say that being flexible has given me more opportunities to make me more marketable than if I would've stayed back home.

Either way, tell him not to rush into a decision. Identify his long term career goals (neuropsych or neuroscience), his willingness to relocate for education and/or training if needed, and the costs of all of this. You will have to get financial aid. I do not know anyone without it. And the ones who do not have debt either had a rich parent and/or husband to foot the bill.

I wish I was so lucky... laugh.gif blink.gif mellow.gif

I hope this information was coherent and helpful for you. Again, PM me if you need more info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Apr 10 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks stargazer, yes I am overwhelmed!!

He is mainly interested in neuropsychology, but he got into a Master's program in neuroscience so he would alternatively go to that if he had to, but the phd program is in neuropsych.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 10 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #6

brown delicious

(((buttercups))) You sound pretty overwhelmed. sad.gif

Is your boyfriend interested in neuroscience or neuropsychology? It sounded like you were describing neuroscience than neuropsychology. Let me know and I will respond depending on his field. Neuroscience and neuropsychology have different requirements via their programs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Apr 8 2011, 04:56 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok Busties I need your help-desperately!

My bf has applied to phD programs for neuropsychology and we just found out that he only got into one of these programs. The program that he got into did not offer him funding, but apparently they said they offer funding first to the students of newer faculty members- and the faculty member he was chosen to work with is not new. They said you can re-apply for funding annually, but of course there is no guarantee. Now this would cost approximately $40,000 a year without funding...Crazy, yes I know.

Now my bf has been working towards his master's and during that time he spent a year looking for research opportunities to boost his resume and applied for literally hundreds of jobs in his field. He was active in this process, went places, had some interviews, etc and never got anything during that time. If he decides not to take this, I have no idea what he will do because his masters degree in general psych is really worth nothing. And his lack of luck finding anything last year does not give me faith that he will be able to find something else this year. He is currently working retail jobs to support himself and is completely depressed by the prospect of not being able to go away to school and start this program- like really depressed. He feels worthless and this is the one thing that he has always wanted to do and now feels like he cant.

If he goes into this program, what is the likelihood that he will ever be able to pay back the loans he would have to take out- well I don't know maybe not so great. With my help though he probably could. This is his dream and if he doesn't take it and tries to re-apply again next year I don't really think he would have any better luck getting into something with funding. With the bad economy and everything he just never got any hope for a job in his field or even an opportunity to work with a professor and do research. He came close, but that was about it and he would need some extra experience or something to boost his chances of getting in or we're in the same place we are now. My friends have suggested that he defer enrollment for a year and try to boost his resume in the meantime. I would completely agree with this, but a) we don't know if he can defer (looking into it now) and 2) will it even make a difference if he can't find anything again and gets nowhere and we end up in the same place in a year and c) the idea of putting if off makes him feel awful because he wants to do this so bad. I really don't know what we should do. He also got into a Masters program at a really good university from which I think he could probably get into a better phD program for funding if he went and essentially re-did another master's more in his field at this better school. But that bill would be about $80,000 because it would be a 2 year program. Would he get into a phd program after that, probably, but is this another crazy idea? probably.

I need your help Busties please pleaseeee tell me what you think is the best choice. I really need some outside perspectives and a decision has to be made by april 15th.

+Quote Post
TheSCOREgroup
post Feb 7 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #8

Hey ya'll! My name is Heather, I work in Miami, Florida. I am a talent recruiter for the SCORE group. We are an adult publication. Its pretty wild. I graduated from CMSU with a degree in Enviromental Management, but then I kind of fell into recruiting after the recession hit in 2009. Ive been here for a little bit now. I live in ft. lauderdale...and the drive to work is about 36 miles..but literally it takes sometimes 2 hours to get to work or get home from work depending on the traffic...it's not so much a commute as it is a bloodsport. Working in the adult industry as a Recruiter is a interesting job, im constantly hunting and trying to find the next "IT" girl. It's neat because we don't try and find the typical "barbie doll" girl. I look for attainable and beautiful women. We love busty girls, girls with big butts, fresh faces and mature. You'd be shocked to know that the mature category is BLOWING up right now. haha. If you have any questions about the industry, let me know!

Anyone ever fell into a job that wasn't in their degree field?

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 4 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Cool! I'm taking classes in human evolutionary ecology and gender in archaeology right now! It's interesting to take two classes with completely opposite points of view at once, and I'm learning a lot about how important it is to have a holistic outlook, complementary evidence, etc, etc. I remember that discussion we had on the SBSG thread, it was fun. As I remember I got pretty heated. I'm not so strongly against evolutionary psychology now that I know all the details (although I still think it's used irresponsibly in pop-psychology!)

I'm working in Alaska. Three straight months every summer in the awesomest place on earth (IMHO). Sometimes I still have to pinch myself. You know, when I started I was eager to finish quickly and get on with my life, but now I am not so worried (related to problems discussed in the "committed" thread, unfortunately...) and I would be happy to have a few more years of this fieldwork, with this advisor and these research facilities. I only started admitting this to myself about, um, two weeks ago. It will keep me on track to remember that money is a huge problem, and I only have 4 years of funding.

Last summer we worked in sites that could only be reached by bush plane/helicopter, and next summer I'm helping to teach a field school. I'm much more terrified of the field school than I was of anything last year, but it will be really good teaching experience. For my research, I'm looking at a particular stone tool type and whether it is can be used as a cultural marker, or if it is best studied as a cold-weather adaptation. Or both.

Most of my life goals are centered around the possibility of living as a perpetual student. smile.gif

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Feb 4 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

i do always love a fellow anthropologist wink.gif

yeah, my program is actually straight to PhD and they just give us a masters once we've completed all our coursework and comprehensive exams. that streamlines the whole process, making my life slightly easier.

i do love research and fieldwork and i suppose i'll just have to play it by ear once i graduate. if the job market is in the toilet, then maybe i'll have to do a post-doc. to be perfectly honest, even if they are ungrateful wretches, i am looking forward to teaching a lot. i just want my fantasy to come true, i.e. get a tenure-track position and live out my days as a perpetual student. that can happen right? smile.gif

i study new world monkeys (white-faced capuchins) and my topic slightly relates to some stuff that was discussed waaaay back when in the SBSG thread. i really enjoyed reading some of the things you wrote about evo psych. i thought you made some great explanations. my project is about where adult sex differences in behavior come from. i think that our genes and our evolutionary history have a large part to play BUT, as you said, adaptability and flexibility are the only true universals of humans and primates in general. human gendered behavior is the result of predispositions in brain structures coupled with reinforcement through the social environment. basically i'd like to show that the social environment for developing nonhuman primates is also gendered. blah blah blah etc.

where do you dig?

--------------------
"To lose everything at the edge of such a glorious eternity is far sweeter than to win by plodding through a cautious, painless, and featureless life."

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 4 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Well hello fellow anthropologist! smile.gif Don't worry I am completely aware of the timeline for most PhD's in our field! I have friends who've finished in 4.5 years and friends who've been working for 10+ and still not finished, but I managed to finish the MA in 2 years, right on schedule, by avoiding all the time-traps and overextensions that most grad students let themselves get stuck in, and I'm hoping to do the same again. If I go in with 6 years as my goal, it'll probably take 8 or 10, so I figure 4 years is a good starting point. Most people at the school I'm in take 7-8 years to do a combined MA/PhD so I figure it's not too unreasonable - but of course, they get their PhD fieldwork all lined up while still in the process of the MA, and I don't have that advantage. But I'm already starting my dissertation fieldwork this summer, and am working with my advisor to line up some back-up fieldwork for the year after. the good news is that I've discovered that I love my school and love my program, and wouldn't mind more time here anyways, to learn more and do more excellent fieldwork.

And yeah, the job market isn't very pretty for us right now. I'd rather be tromping through the forest, or a research slave, than stuck in a classroom teaching ungrateful 21-year-olds any day though smile.gif What kind of primates did you study?

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Feb 1 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks for the advice y'all! i really just want to find a small liberal arts school and teach. i am a biological anthropologist (primatology) so i think a lot of people do actually complete post-docs. it is just so scary with the number of PhD's out there and how few jobs there are going to be when i finally finish. as much as i love doing research, making a name for myself is not a high priority. i wouldn't mind doing the assistant professor thing for a little while if it meant getting a tenure track job later. my university requires you teach for at least two semesters before you can escape so i'll have that experience under my belt as well.

angie, 4 years for an ARCHAEOLOGY phd? i mean no disrespect but....ahahahahahaha! good luck darling, i know archaeologists who are in the 8-10 year range and still not done. that being said, i don't know what type of digging you are going, so perhaps your estimate is not over optimistic smile.gif
we do three years of course work for bio-anth, so it definitely slows the whole process down. i'm hoping to be all finished in 6 years total.

i guess it just depends on the type of post doc in the end. i don't want to be someone's research slave, but i wouldn't mind learning some more skills in a laboratory or something of the like. especially since all my research as been in the wild thus far. thanks again ladies!!

--------------------
"To lose everything at the edge of such a glorious eternity is far sweeter than to win by plodding through a cautious, painless, and featureless life."

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jan 29 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #13

brown delicious

dj-bizmonkey, as it has already been mentioned, i think a postdoc is dependent on what type of work is required in your field. if you are willing to teach at a university, i think i've known of friends who have had some success teaching at a respectable institution. i think it helps if you have some teaching experience as you might have to give them an example of your teaching style with a real class. also, i think the fact that you have research experience makes you more attractive with universities, even if research is not your future.

I think a postdoc couldn't hurt because at least you know you can defer your loans if you are in a fellowship program. you can network and review jobs while you work at your post doc gig. if anything, it will help to build your resume in the field you want to work in.

i'm in a 2 year postdoc right now. i'm pretty happy that i have time to get licensed in my field and then can worry about the job placement thing later. i am also building up my resume which will make me a more desirable candidate for a job after i finish here. I know colleagues who are out of work right now with their doctorates. for me, there are more pros than cons to doing a post doc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jan 29 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #14

it's cards on the table time

Hi and welcome back miss bizmonkey!

Regarding postdocs, I think it very much depends on your field and where in the world you hope/want to work. For me, 2 years out of a PhD, I have had more success with being shortlisted for assistant prof jobs than with postdocs--which I see as positive, in a way--postdocs are only for a year or 2 in my field so not as secure (relatively speaking!) as the jobs. My anecdotal experience echoes what angie says, though; most postdocs I've heard of allow you to further your own research, although I've just remembered a friend who was hired as a postdoc to do what you describe: assist on someone else's project. I can totally see why that doesn't appeal.

Btw, I can truly empathise with those stages of feeling burnt out by the research process; for me it felt like my research object kept expanding, and I kept trying to (re)frame it thematically to fit into the thesis before I was ready, and then I'd get frustrated/feel uncertain about what I was doing with my findings. I sincerely hope you have a good advisor, which doesn't necessarily make all the difference but can help a lot.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jan 25 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey bizmonkey, I am in my first year of my PhD right now. I am very optimistically hoping to finish in 4 years. Hahahaha.

In Canada I think post-docs are pretty standard, almost everyone does them, but you do your own research. I think it can even be developed from or related to your PhD research. Although that might just be how things work in my field. I heard my supervisor here say that post-docs aren't common in the US anymore a few months ago, which surprised me. I think many of us will be restricted to post-docs in the next little while because of the lack of professorships available.... It will all depend on when all the old people start retiring, and when universities start recovering financially.

That being said, I'm kind of excited about the post-doc. An extra year or two to do research and practice teaching before the real pressures start. Being an assistant professor scares the crap outta me, so much teaching and so little time to have a life. Although archaeologists never get the summers off, so I never have that to look forward to!

I don't know if that was positive or not! I am still excited to be starting my program though. after 2 years off, it feels like coming home to be back in school and doing research!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jan 25 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I just started an EdD program this fall so I have awhile to go before I get to the research portion of it. My frustration is coming from figuring out how to pay for it all. shit. I am going to have to start taking out loans which I somehow managed to avoid huge debt from my master's degree.

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Jan 24 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

hey hey hey, just going to insert myself right into the conversation. is anyone out there at the research stage of their PhD program? i am about half-way through my fieldwork and feeling suuuuuuper run down. what frightens me most right now is looking ahead to the future and the mountain of stuff that i still have to do. i guess i just need a pick me up. i am also not very keen on having to do a post-doc. the idea of being someone's research slave after slaving away myself for 6 (i hope it is only 6) years is not very palatable.

in the end, i just want to teach. i don't really care that much about making a name for myself or being at a research 1 type university. i just want my pipe, my tweed jacket with the leather elbow pads, and my summers off. is that so much to ask? any other struggling PhD's out there? in this day and age do y'all think you HAVE to do a post-doc?

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jan 23 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey buttercups are you still in school? How is it going? I just finished the first week of my second semester and I can't believe how crazy it is already! I love it though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Nov 27 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Soo much work to do that I want to get done over this weekend that I have off from Thanksgiving. I haven't done a single thing except watch Home Alone a thousand times- it never gets old. Can't stop procrastinating writing these shitty papers so thought I'd come on here and whine about it and procrastinate some more. Last year of grad school and completely lost all motivation. I need some busties to write some more in the lounge so I can procrastinate some more!

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Nov 15 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck!

--------------------
ā€œLogic is the art of going wrong with confidence.ā€
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31, 2014 - 04:26 AM