Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
hoffbyhoff
post May 15 2013, 12:58 AM
Post #1

BUSTie

I found a great dress (in the dark blue). It arrived today and actually fits, although it's a wee bit short. I'm hoping to wear my black cage heels with it, but am not sure they will work: they're patent leather and the dress is a flimsy polyester mix.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 27 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Big Fat Bitch

I am curious as to how we feel about faux fur? AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE WEIRD MONKEY FUR VESTS I KEEP SEEING EVERYWHERE! I ask because the latest Vogue has a variety of real fur styles that are tres fantastic, but they offered no cruelty-free options. I started picking up faux furs a couple years ago when Mizrahi had his line for Target & they offered a three quarter sleeve Persian that was to die for. I now have five of them & they are all wildly different & pretty funky. They make me feel like Joan Collins on Dynasty, sans shoulder pads.

I have this sapphire Persian, but find myself salivating over the Mad Men inspired chocolate mink, this snow lynx & this cream crushed jacket.

Of course, my personality, socio-economic status & edumacation bear all of this tackiness out. You bitches all know I'm really Paris Hilton! wink.gif

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 30 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #3

Big Fat Bitch

THIS. WANT. But sadly, my head? She is too big. Ginormous. I bought a new summer hat & had to stretch it out, thank god it was cheap.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 25 2010, 05:44 AM
Post #4

it's cards on the table time

Epi, I've been to China and I would say stock up while at home as you probably won't recognise *any* of the brands/shops. Also, their sizes run quite small.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 23 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

So while everyone else is getting clothes for fall, I'm preparing for my move to one of the hottest cities in China in two weeks. I'm not sure whether I should be buying clothes here or waiting till I get there, but I've been shopping nonetheless. Scored a super comfy black and white polka-dot halter top with the little twist embellishment in the front today, and an adorable rose coloured short-sleeve blouse that fits me perfectly. Both should pair nicely with flowy summer skirts. Now I just need to think about shoes...

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 12 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

So I got a wide black belt, and it's totally revolutionized my wardrobe! And I've started collecting tailored blouses with short, gathered sleeves. I'm so out of the loop I couldn't tell you if they're a current trend or not, but ever since I started buying them for myself I've started noticing them on everyone, and they're so cute and versatile and easy to wear. They can look formal, casual, flirty, conservative, modern or retro depending on what you pair them with, and they're so flattering! I bought a cute pale yellow one with ruffled sleeves the other day, and just scored two more yesterday: a really nice pink one with little pleated inlays in the sleeves and a very retro brown and white patterned one. I'm wearing them with my new pillowcase skirts and the belt, and they look great tucked or untucked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Aug 12 2010, 09:08 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Tulle usually makes nice jewel-toned sweater dresses.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 11 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Big Fat Bitch

Y'know if I was smart, I'd start a business!

I am champing at the bit for the A/W lines to be released in the beginning of September. I'm pretty much set, but I have my eye on a dark chocolate leather aviator coat that I absolutely must have. Of course, it's from an abroad retailer, so I have to be ready at four am to place my order before it sells out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 11 2010, 04:45 AM
Post #9

I'm really starting to think Nordstroms is the way to go for basics, but then I grew up in the midwest; there's some nice colors there. (ON et al may ship to 50+ countries, but mine isn't one of them!)

I can get behind drape front; I'm just picky about sweater lengths. Too short and my long torso doesn't get covered; too long and I'm swamped. Also a fan of the jewel tones but am sick to death of endless neutrals.

Cheers, again, for the link/s! You know if I had the cash I'd just go ahead and hire you as a remote stylist...

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 10 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Big Fat Bitch

Girl, I do not know what to tell you. The shapes for fall are pretty much the boyfriend & the drape front in dark neutrals & the odd jewel tone.

A very cursory search yielded little in the way of what you are looking for. There were a handful of bright pointelle cardis in ON petites, but they are kind of . . . confectionary colours. Halogen offers some cute cardis through Nordstroms.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 10 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #11

Ugh. I know it's probably still too early, but I keep running around online retailers for cute autumn sweaters and sweater dresses, and all I see are endless long shapeless cardigans in dull-ass colours. I am short and need tailored/somewhat fitted clothes or I look dumpy and these ubiquitous cardies do nothing for me. Also, they're boring.

All I want is a handful of cute, not too fitted knit dresses and sweaters in vivid colours--apparently too much to ask. (Or I suppose I could just wait a month or so...)

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 6 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow, this is cute: vintage skirt as dress, from the fashion blog of Karen Cheng

I'm totally gonna cop that style! I've got a whole bunch of long skirts from my hippie days that are too pretty to give up but which I never seem to wear. I've really been bitten by the fashion bug this week. I spent my evening poring over my Threads magazines thinking of easy patternless projects to liven up my wardrobe a bit. So many outfits hinge on a wide belt or sash - I'll have to hit up the shops for one tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 2 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

So I put a new elastic into the waistband of my skirt and it helps, but I think from now on I'll give a little slack to the front and put a little more tension in the back, because it pooches out in front and looks a little sloppy. Otherwise, it was very simple and a great success. Now I can start making skirts from scratch! I've got such a sharp eye for bargains I'm starting to feel like it's hardly worth it to spend hours sewing my own clothes when I could just go out and find them for a buck or two, but if it's that simple, I might as well. I hear you can make a super easy pencil skirt out of a pillowcase - just slit the top and put in an elastic. Must try that next.

Saw a girl today in the cutest black and white sundress, shirred at the collar, sleeves and waist, and quite full at the skirt, hemmed with a little ruffle. I wonder if I could buy tops and dresses a couple sizes too big and just shirr them to fit. Gotta try it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jul 29 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Got a super cute calf-length black and white polka dotted skirt with a double flounce hem today for 5 bucks. It's a little loose in the waist and needs a new elastic. Those flounce hem skirts are so flattering on me, I've gotta get a pattern and just make a bunch with all the fabric I've got lying around. I absolutely cannot pull off the tucked-in shirt look, so I don't really need to worry about what the waistbands of my skirts look like because I never show them off anyway. Sloppy elastic waistbands work just fine for me.

Almost bought a black stretch-knit Sirens shirt with 3/4 sleeves, gathered sides and flounce ruffles down the front, also 5 bucks. It's just a tiny bit tight and I'm concerned about bulge. May just go back for it anyway, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 26 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #15

Big Fat Bitch

UK retailer ASOS is in the midst of their season clearance & the deals are NUTS! I got four tops, two dresses, & three accessories for $125. Use the code "asostreats" & get an extra 10% off!

--------------------

+Quote Post
purplestain
post Jul 9 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #16

BUSTie

Thanks auralpoison and persiflager! I found a couple of good options on the figleaves site. The Target site is down right now, but I'll check those out later. I don't really want to spend more than $60, and less is always better. I also prefer to sleep naked, but I'm trying to prepare for my bf's new roommate moving in; unfortunately, I won't be able to hang out in the living room in my panties anymore. I dislike wearing robes so nice jammies were the best option.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jul 9 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi purplestain!

How about buying white pyjamas or nightgown, and then dying to the colour you like? I mostly thought of that because the White Company have a sale on.

John Lewis are usually pretty classy - here's the sale page.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jul 8 2010, 02:12 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Found a necklace with the coolest pendant in a sidewalk score tonight. I picked up a whole bunch of jewelry and beads, actually, including some cool vintage pieces, but this one really stands out. It's a creepy, subtle brass face that looks like it's melting or something...I can't really describe it, so I'll just post a pic later. I'm pretty excited about it. Gonna buy some memory wire to string the nicer beads onto - I like how memory wire bracelets can give the layered look without having to put on twelve different pieces of jewelry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 7 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #19

Big Fat Bitch

I sleep naked on good sheets, but then I live alone & have no modesty.

Are you wanting online retailers only? How much are you wanting to spend?

To get the ball rolling, Target/Liberty of London has some cute options: leaf print chemise, leaf print tank/cropped pant, two piece tap set, dunclaire print tank/crop pant set.

Fig Leaves offers a broad array of pj options at various prices.

GT was always our pj /intimates gal, perhaps you should peruse the archives, Purplestain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
purplestain
post Jul 6 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #20

BUSTie

Hey everyone, I lurk often but haven't posted in this thread before, but now I need some advice...

I want to buy pajamas or a nightgown. Preferably something silk or cotton - either way, really lightweight, because I live in a hot hot place - and preferably down to mid-thigh. I don't know where to go for sleepwear that's not dumpy (like the t-shirts I currently sleep in) or "sexy" (itchy lace, uncomfortably tight, underwire, bows, etc). My tastes skew towards deep, rich colors and vintage cuts with soft modern fabrics. I already checked ModCloth, because that was the only place I could think to look, but they don't seem to do sleepwear.

Where can I buy some classy, pretty, comfortable jammies? Is there even such a thing? All help is much appreciated!!

+Quote Post

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 21, 2014 - 08:44 PM