Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She's Crafty...the Revenge
snow white
post Jun 18 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

just thought i'd breeze through the crafty thread again; i've been spending alot of time at joanna's fabrics and really stocked up on all kinds of cool embroidery accsessories (canvas bags, tea towels, ect...) and i've been looking at their quilting supplies too. i think that will be my next big project, probably more around the time fall sets in though, i don't do much crafting when it's so nice out.

nakedmolerat, i also luv polymer clay. all i really make as of now is light switch covers and magnets though.

right now i want to make scented sachets for my drawers and get a head on x-mas (i learned my leasson from last year, it's never too early to start making all the presents).

--------------------
I'm not loaded, I'm just tired of being nice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jun 15 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi crafties...How did it go nakedmolerat?
Are there enough crafts sellers here to bump the ol' Selling Handcrafted In A Wal-mart World, a place to discuss the ins and outs of owning your own crafty bidness (oh my gosh what a long thread title) thread?

I'm just recovering from a big American show (if you read Kvetch you've seen the tale of woe). Would love to compare notes with others who are selling handmade online or in person. Or are people cool with posting that stuff here in this thread?

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 29 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #23

That's good advice Persiflager. Like most arteests I'm pretty lousy with the money side of crafty things.
Nakedmolerat, how did your show go? I came across a book I've got about showing and selling your work and thought of you. I have to read that again, it was full of great tips.

I've been swapping to destash my craft supplies, it's very motivating when you have a deadline and someone depending on you, I kinda need that sometimes. There are lots of pics up in flickr if you want to take a look. It starts out with some close-ups of my baby girl's scabby knees and elbows from a couple of sidewalk spills but after that it's all crafty goodness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post May 10 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

Definitely have cards/flyers out with your etsy/website address so that people can look you up later, or pass your details on to a friend.

Might be worth having a zippered bumbag (fanny pack?) for takings as it's harder to steal, otherwise a cashbox or tupperware. Make sure you have a decent float of coins and notes to give people change. And be prepared to offer discounts for multiple purchases - much better to work these out in advance so you don't accidentally end up selling at a loss. It's good to be flexible to make a sale, but always keep your break-even point in mind (that's the amount you need to sell each item for so as not to make a loss).

Um, can you tell I'm an accountant? Sorry if that's really obvious/irrelevant! I think the more of the boring stuff you have organised in advance, the more you'll be able to relax and spend time talking to people about your lovely crafts.

Anyway, I just came in here to say that I went to my first crochet class on Saturday and..... mother-fudging working into the base chain! Much harder than I expected.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
nakedmolerat
post May 5 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #25

BUSTie

Hey koffeewitch and pepper, thanks for the advice! It really came in handy- I like the idea of boxes covered in cloth for variety in height!
I'll have to check out craftster and pepper's flickr!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 5 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #26

*blush*

nakedmolerat, have you checked out craftster? There's some info there on selling.

One thing to do is make your booth inviting and eyecatching without being too busy. Use levels to merchandise your things so they aren't all jumbled together. Boxes of different heights all covered with a cloth will do.
Organize things together in cohesive groups with a featured item on a display stand or in the center of the bunch. Think about displays in stores that have caught your eye.
Make sure you have good visibility of all your product at all times, people steal. It sucks but it's true.
Keep your business cards, packaging material, etc all handy but tucked away and totally out of site (except the cards, put them out).
Have extra stock to fill in gaps when things sell or be prepared to rearrange your table. For some reason in retail, the more items there are the more likely they are too sell. Not to say over crowd, that is unappealing, but too few items can be quickly passed over for a more exciting table.
Bring a chair! Or make sure they provide them. You'll faint after a few hours standing. Bring water and snacks so you don't have to leave your booth to buy crappy over priced show food.
Do you do custom work? If so make a sign, people can be shy about asking.
Wear your work, change pieces throughout the day. Talk yourself up! Don't be modest (hard to do, I know, I suck at this point) confidence sells.

Have a great time! And don't spend all your profit smile.gif

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post May 5 2010, 08:25 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper is inspirational; you should peek around her flickr pages at some of the other stuff she's made.

I wish I could give advice on the tabling thing, but I have no experience there (well, other than political stuff). I guess if it were me I would want to draw people into my table and keep them there looking at things. I think if you have too few things set up they look while they're walking by. I would want tons of little things set up so folks would really have to stop and look... but seriously, I have NO experience here so I'm just really talking out of my ass...

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
nakedmolerat
post May 4 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #28

BUSTie

Hey Pepper, those are awesome! I especially like the second one you linked with lots of hearts on it, it came out so beautifully!

So... I have a newbie questions for the crafty busties- I am going to be in my first fair this weekend and I've never had a booth set up to sell jewelry before. Anyone have any advice/tips? I would really appreciate it! Especially when it comes to a display.

Thanks gals!! xoxoxo

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 4 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #29

Here's the next loaded charm bracelet http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/457782..._1991b2fa7e.jpg I sort of love these now!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 2 2010, 07:51 AM
Post #30

Cool fleurs! Very pretty. Someone bumped that thread for you, yes? Some talented women in there I tell ya.

I've been wire wrapping for a bracelet and earrings I'm making to swap on craftster and it's really easy to do and looks great. Here's the tutorial I looked at if you want to try it. The more I do it, the easier it's getting too. When I finished the owl set I started making a loaded charm bracelet for myself using every single little thing I've been saving up in my bead stash. Lots of silver but some splashes of colour too. It's looking so gorgeous and every time you see it there is more to discover. I know my daughter will steal it from me just to look at it over and over again! I've got 3 more planned after this, an Alice in Wonderland themed one, one with hearts and love stuff, and one that is shades of copper. I have never been a bracelet wearer but these are fast becoming my favourite sort of jewelry.

Scroll down to LadyLeitzen's post for an open loop tutorial
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?t...7086#msg3957086
And closed loop here, this is the most secure and not very hard to do at all!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?t...7820#msg3957820

Here's the bracelet I made

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/4576460878/

You can see the wire wraps in the close up shots. I think it turned out pretty good. I got to use up TONS of stash too!

+Quote Post
nakedmolerat
post Apr 24 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #31

BUSTie

I couldn't find that thread... Hope everyone is getting their craft on this weekend, though! *Hugs*

+Quote Post
nakedmolerat
post Apr 23 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #32

BUSTie

QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Apr 23 2010, 04:16 PM) *
NMR have you also posted this on the shameless self promotion thread?

Lol! I love the name of that thread! Thank you for the suggestion, I didn't know about it, but I will check it out for sure smile.gif

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 23 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #33

A symphony of atrocities.

NMR have you also posted this on the shameless self promotion thread?

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
nakedmolerat
post Apr 23 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #34

BUSTie

Hey everyone! Long time no post! Had a hectic past couple of months. Things did not work out with my baby's daddy and whatnot. Anyway. I am so glad to see you all keeping this thread going! Yay for crafty busties!

Speaking of crafty busties, I noticed koffeewitch was mentioning working with clay- that is what I work with! Polymer clay = my love! I have a new etsy shop with my polymer clay jewelry if you are at all interested to see what I mean, feel free to visit my shop at http://petalcove.etsy.com We can be clay buddies! Lol

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Apr 23 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh yeah, your crabs had been showin' for a while even before I finally said something about it. I can't even look without thinking Lords of Acid.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Apr 22 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #36

Do the crabby patties show for you? Mine still shows my blurry face, I don't know how to get my computer to be real.

I've got 2 needy crafters lined up to take supplies off my hands, whoo hoo! Maybe I'll actually clear some space in here finally.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Apr 22 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

BTW, pepper, that is SOME avatar!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 21 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #38

I can wait awhile for a crafted item.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Apr 19 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #39

Sure! I could do it now if you're interested in getting crafty supplies in return (I am currently in major destash, clean-up and organize mode and have TONS of great stuff) or for a crafted item in a while, once I conquer the mess and finish a few WIP I have on the go wink.gif .

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 19 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #40

Hey Pepper, did you still want to do a swap for that mask I made?

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27, 2014 - 02:41 AM