The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iud reviews?
mcmarktyler
post Jun 18 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #1

My girlfriend had experiencing even a 5months of not having her mens, I dont know what is her case. She is anemic and I dont think if it is the reason why he is experiencing this or maybe a tumor is a reason for this?

--------------------------

Miami car accident lawyer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acidmatherson
post Jun 15 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Hey, I did tons of research before getting my IUD and all the horror stories scared the crap out of me! I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I just started a blog so I can publish my own experience with it as well as maybe creating a community for people with questions and answers. Check it out if you're considering getting an IUD. Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up!

www.sexblogness.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
Riley103
post Apr 13 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Kayleigh95. @ Mar 31 2012, 01:36 AM) *
Hey everyone.
I wanna share my experience with the copper IUD. Two days ago, I had the Nova T inserted. I opted for this because I've had trouble with my bleeding for almost two years. I couldn't have the combined pill because I had migranes, so I was put on the cirazete (not sure how its spelt). I had that for about six months and bled almost everyday. I then tried the implanon for about a year, which was pretty much the same, followed by the depo for 6 months, which calmed it down for about a month, then I bled daily again. My doctor suggested the copper IUD because it is hormone free, and my body doesn't seem to like hormones. I know the risk of heavy periods and cramping, but I hope the lack of hormones will regulate me.
Insertion wasn't particularly nice, but for me, it wasn't over painful. The only thing that really hurt was when she measured me with the pole, which gave me cramp for a few seconds. Other than that, I was okay. I could walk fine after, and at first, It didn't hurt at all. About an hour later, I got quite bad cramping, which carried on through the night (baring in mind, I had it inserted at about 5:15) but it was alright for me. I have bled quite heavy these first two nights, but not much at all during the day. But I have accepted that my body needs to adjust to the foreign object.
I was concerned that my partner would feel the threads, but I can only just feel them if I'm checking for them. I asked him to check and he didn't have a clue, so I am very pleased.
I understand that this form of BC isn't for everyone, but with my past with BC, I hope this will be good for me. It is early days, but so far, I am happy with my IUD. smile.gif
I had a swab about two weeks before insertion, which gave me time to research other people's experiences, and I found that most people only post bad things. I am nearly 17, I have never had children, which was supposed to make insertion horrific, but everyone is different!
I don't think that people who have different sexual partners are the first choice for an IUD, because STI's can cause infection of the IUD.
Hope this helps anyone who is concerned! smile.gif

I also think so.

+Quote Post
Kayleigh95.
post Apr 1 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #4

Hey again!
Just to update, I have now stopped bleeding totally, no cramps at all, no hormonal side effects to deal with and the threads have now curled up so I can only just feel them. biggrin.gif I love my IUD, and highly recommend it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kayleigh95.
post Mar 31 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #5

Hey everyone.
I wanna share my experience with the copper IUD. Two days ago, I had the Nova T inserted. I opted for this because I've had trouble with my bleeding for almost two years. I couldn't have the combined pill because I had migranes, so I was put on the cirazete (not sure how its spelt). I had that for about six months and bled almost everyday. I then tried the implanon for about a year, which was pretty much the same, followed by the depo for 6 months, which calmed it down for about a month, then I bled daily again. My doctor suggested the copper IUD because it is hormone free, and my body doesn't seem to like hormones. I know the risk of heavy periods and cramping, but I hope the lack of hormones will regulate me.
Insertion wasn't particularly nice, but for me, it wasn't over painful. The only thing that really hurt was when she measured me with the pole, which gave me cramp for a few seconds. Other than that, I was okay. I could walk fine after, and at first, It didn't hurt at all. About an hour later, I got quite bad cramping, which carried on through the night (baring in mind, I had it inserted at about 5:15) but it was alright for me. I have bled quite heavy these first two nights, but not much at all during the day. But I have accepted that my body needs to adjust to the foreign object.
I was concerned that my partner would feel the threads, but I can only just feel them if I'm checking for them. I asked him to check and he didn't have a clue, so I am very pleased.
I understand that this form of BC isn't for everyone, but with my past with BC, I hope this will be good for me. It is early days, but so far, I am happy with my IUD. smile.gif
I had a swab about two weeks before insertion, which gave me time to research other people's experiences, and I found that most people only post bad things. I am nearly 17, I have never had children, which was supposed to make insertion horrific, but everyone is different!
I don't think that people who have different sexual partners are the first choice for an IUD, because STI's can cause infection of the IUD.
Hope this helps anyone who is concerned! smile.gif

+Quote Post
havee
post Sep 12 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Hi All,

After tireless research, I opted for a copper IUD for the no-hormone aspect. I have never been comfortable with hormone options for a number of reasons. I was concerned about the threat of heavier and more painful periods with the copper option, but I gave it a go ... approx 4 months ago.

I am very pleased with this IUD. Insertion was very quick, a little pinch on insertion, nothing crazy. I had mild cramping that afternoon and mild spotting for 3-4 days afterward. My first period was quite heavy and more crampy than usual; and there was some mild discomfort once in a while throughout that first month. But that was it! After that first month, I never thought about it again, which is the whole point I would say. My period comes about 3-4 days later than it did before, and lasts about 1 day longer (it was only 3 days before), and there is a heavier flow on the first day, but a very small price to pay. I have sex with my partner very regularly and he is stoked! he hasn't felt it once, and has some serious peace of mind.

There you have it. Not for everyone, I know; birth control is a completely subjective experience. But, I am so pleased it worked for me, because frankly, no other alternative appealed to me. It is so inexepensive, so worth a try, but the deal is you should leave it in for at least three months to give it a fair shake.

+Quote Post
bella10388
post Sep 6 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(discowombat @ Jul 14 2010, 07:17 PM) *
"Though i must warn you that there is an over weight on negative experience here, which i don't think reflects the reality accurately.... But i guess you rarely feel the need to write about positive experiences smile.gif"

Not to discount those who have had bad experiences, but I have to comment that my experience has been great. Probably the worst part was after my insertion when about halfway home I found myself in a state of mild shock. However, that was partially my fault. I should have eaten something before going in for insertion but I was so nervous. Since then things have gone quite well. I used to have incapacitating periods but I haven't had one since November thanks to the IUD (Mirena). Everything seems to have stayed in place and I haven't noticed as many mood related side effects as I did with the pill and Nuvaring. My work schedule is crazy now since every place is overworked and understaffed so it's nice not having to make sure I take a pill on time. It also was more cost effective for me. I went to a family planning clinic and by my estimates it should pay for itself within 2 years compared to what I was spending on other forms of birth control. I am very squeamish about my gyno appointments and I almost always cry due to nerves and embarrassment but I didn't find insertion to be much worse than my usual appointment. All in all the benefits have outweighed the negatives for me.

I also think so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
conbot
post Aug 18 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #8

BUSTie

I'm one month in on having an IUD. I have the Nova-T which is a copper IUD made by Bayer, who also make the Mirena. I live in Canada so the Paragaurd is not available and the three option are the Mirena, Nova-T (copper), and Flexi-T (copper). I chose the Nova-T for being non-hormonal and it has a similar insertion as the Mirena, where it comes in a small tube and the arms on the T spring out during the insertion. The Flexi-T, on the other hand, relies on the force against your cervix to fold down the arms of the T during insertion (ouch).

My experiences so far:

The clinic I went to for the insertion requires three visits. The first is for informing you about the IUD, getting you to choose which one you want (hormone vs. copper), and also doing an internal exam to check out the position of your uterus and test for any bacterial infections. At that time the doctor also gave me two Misoprostol (a drug that softens the cervix) tablets for me to put up in my vag about 6 hours before my insertion appointment.

The second visit is for the actual insertion. As directed I used the Misoprostol. The insertion appointment starts out just like any other internal exam. The doctor swabbed the area a couple times to get rid of any outside bacteria and then inserted the speculum (she even apologized for not being able to pre warm the speculum with warm water because she likes to keep IUD insertions as sterile as possible). And then I learned that my never born children cervix is pretty anti opening.

First the doctor remarked about how it didn't look like the Misoprostol had any effect (my mom laughed at this when I told her my experience later). She then attempted to measure my uterus so she would know how far to place the IUD. After some painful poking she sighed and said that she would have to use the cervix clamp because my cervix was being completely uncooperative. So a few seconds later my cervix was clamped.. which hurts.. a lot. The doctor then went back to measuring (more painful poking around) until she reached the top of my uterus. After that she took out the measuring tool (kindof like a dip stick for measuring how much oil is in your car) and started the actual IUD insertion. This felt basically the same as the measuring, only even more painful. Apparently I took it like a champ though, because at one point the doctor looked a little perplexed and asked me if I was in any pain. I said yes, and she then remarked about how quiet I was being over the whole thing. Anyway, once the insertion was done, the doctor quickly removed the cervix clamp and then the speculum. Even though the worst part of the insertion is the insertion itself, having the clamps removed feels soooo good after the ordeal. The doctor then brought me some ibuprofin to take (I didn't take any before hand) and told me that I could relax in the room for a while until I felt ready to leave. At the time she also instructed me to go to a hospital if either the pain after insertion got worse, or if it was persistent for more than a day or two.

After the insertion it felt like having moderate to bad cramps. But once the ibuprofin kicked in (and I napped on the bus home) I felt pretty good, aside from occasional mild cramping. I even managed to attend a wrap party that night for a show I had been working on (no drinking though, painkillers and alcohol don't mix).

The third appointment at the clinic is a follow up where they check to make sure everything is AOK post insertion. This last appointment is booked for 4-6 weeks after your insertion, so mine is two weeks from now. The clinic i attend also recommends that you use a backup form of birth control for the first month after insertion to make sure that you are still protected should anything go wrong. I am now having my first period since insertion, but since I have also still been taking the pill for the last month, I can't say that my period is any different. The doctor said that it will probably take a couple months post pill taking for my body to settle into a normal rhythm.

To sum everything up. Yes, IUD insertion hurts like hell (my mom recently had the Mirena put in, and elected to be knocked out for it). It's probably the worst pain I have felt, but it's also very brief. The insertion as a whole only lasts about five minutes and then the pain is no worse than cramps. So I would say that it is completely worth it for the payoff of years of hassle free birth control. A month after insertion I can't say that I notice it much at all. I check to make sure the strings are still in place every week or so. Sex, post insertion, has been great. My boyfriend hasn't noticed the strings or just doesn't mind enough to say anything. My period cramps are mildly worse than they used to be but still not bad and I haven't noticed extra bleeding. I'll have to update again once my periods have become used to being pill free but so far things are good.

+Quote Post
chadadam12
post Jan 6 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Vega @ Jun 17 2010, 01:47 PM) *
I've never tried an IUD but have used the NuvaRing which is kind of similar but not an IUD. I like it a lot and have never had any adverse effects with it. Before that I was on the pill but wasn't good at remembering to take it, so my partner used condoms. Has anyone else tried the Nuvaring?

yes i have it worked ok a little uncomfortable

lauren wilkes individual health insurance

+Quote Post
STinLA
post Oct 22 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(humanist77 @ Mar 7 2010, 05:33 PM) *
hey all,
I've had a Paragard for almost 3 years now and really loved in until recently, despite the normal heavier periods and death cramps-it's worth it for nearly fail-proof, long term bc with no hormonal side effects. Which is why I'm worried that I might have developed bacterial vaginosis from it..the past several months, there's a smell so foul and strong that I can smell it fully clothed, in a standing position. It seems to permeate all around me, really. A rather farty, rotting fish smell. It's present mostly towards the end of my period and the week after.
I hope it won't have to come out if it is bv, but it probably will. I've found many accounts from other Paragard users who've had problems with bv after having the IUD for a few years and ended up getting it removed, as I'm guessing there's no alternative. It would make sense that an object that stays in-utero for many years might be a risk for infection.

That said, there are many women who have great experiences to the end with an IUD, so I'm not posting this to warn anyone necessarily, but to give caution to those especially who already have chronic vaginal infection issues-there's a lot of info that shows the IUD tends to make things worse.

You shouldn't have to get the IUD removed for BV, but it does sound like you have one. Ask your doc for the oral antibiotics- so much easier than the nasty suppository kind. I didn't even know oral metronizit- whatever was an option until recently. If you have issues with yeast infections, get a pill, or 2 of diflucan. BV is nasty, but not that big of a deal to cure. It's weird, I've gotten BV a few times in my 13 years of sex and it's always been associated with a new sex partner that later turned out to be a jerk. I guess my Vagina is better at picking them out than I am. :-) I've also heard you can get it from hot tubs, or unclean hands in there.

Hope it helps!

+Quote Post
STinLA
post Oct 22 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(dayglowpink @ Mar 14 2010, 06:38 AM) *
I do not know if it's the copper or if it's even the IUD or just my natural reaction to things. I can't even remember if I used to have the problem at all before I had the IUD. Yes, boric acid is poisonous to roaches, etc. Apparently it's safe for the vagina, though! I had even heard before of people making their own capsules with it and inserting it, but I was too scared to do that, so I preferred to go the pharmacy route. I would definitely recommend talking to your doc about it. It has helped me so much. That smell was driving me crazy. My advice about using the suppositories is to put it in at night and wear some kind of pantyliner the next day. It dissolves inside your vagina, and then kinda comes out the next day when you're up and about.

You guys may want to try Acidophilus supplements before you start sticking roach poison up your cooches. I've been using it for a while and it's really great for maintaining proper PH up there. I have the worse trouble with Yeast Infections and this has been a LIFE SAVER. Seriously- there is nothing sexy about a funky smelling vagina and even if it is true that we are super sensitive to our body's odors and no one else can smell it, I'm still not convinced. Acidophilus is available at any drug store over the counter and it's an oral pill. It's actually good for regulating your PH all over.

+Quote Post
discowombat
post Jul 14 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #12

BUSTie

"Though i must warn you that there is an over weight on negative experience here, which i don't think reflects the reality accurately.... But i guess you rarely feel the need to write about positive experiences smile.gif"

Not to discount those who have had bad experiences, but I have to comment that my experience has been great. Probably the worst part was after my insertion when about halfway home I found myself in a state of mild shock. However, that was partially my fault. I should have eaten something before going in for insertion but I was so nervous. Since then things have gone quite well. I used to have incapacitating periods but I haven't had one since November thanks to the IUD (Mirena). Everything seems to have stayed in place and I haven't noticed as many mood related side effects as I did with the pill and Nuvaring. My work schedule is crazy now since every place is overworked and understaffed so it's nice not having to make sure I take a pill on time. It also was more cost effective for me. I went to a family planning clinic and by my estimates it should pay for itself within 2 years compared to what I was spending on other forms of birth control. I am very squeamish about my gyno appointments and I almost always cry due to nerves and embarrassment but I didn't find insertion to be much worse than my usual appointment. All in all the benefits have outweighed the negatives for me.

+Quote Post
IUDreview
post Jul 14 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #13

IUD: My uterus was perforated at insertion!! (T-safe CU 380A QL)
After what I went through last week, I feel I must add my review since I NEVER imagined that I could be the 1 in 1000 with a perforated uterus!! I am absolutely gutted. :(

The GP used anaesthetic to make it easier to insert, because I had a c-section so my cervix had never actually been opened. It was still incredibly painful! The GP said I should not feel any cramps after 2 days, however I still felt mild cramps and went back after 5 days. They told me to go to the hospital, (St Thomas, London) to get a scan since the string was no longer visible and it probably moved to the wrong position. After a long wait I finally saw a senior doctor who did proper scans and found the Copper IUD was halfway between the uterus and abdominal cavity!!! They wanted to operate the same night since the thing was causing infection and could damage other organs. They operated the next day and when I woke up, the consultant explained that the IUD was no longer inside the uterus, but completely in die abdominal cavity. I had a pipe inside me which drained remaining fluids the removal of that pipe the following day was by far the most horrifying pain I ever experienced. (cried uncontrollably!!) They operated through my navel and two other small incisions, sending cameras and tools in to remove the IUD. I am just VERY grateful that it did not damage any other organs. From the photos taken inside my body, it could see the thing was very close to one fallopian tube. :(

Why did this happen? The consultant explained that ideally they should do an ultrasound at insertion to see what they are doing. Also, the shape of my uterus is slightly different: mine is pointing towards my back and slightly tilted (normally tilted towards your belly and straight). So, the GP probably misjudged the shape and hit the wall at insertion. Thirdly, I had a baby 3 months ago and my uterus was still a little soft.

What now? Well, for the next year I must be very careful not to fall pregnant as my uterus now has a weak spot, it actually has a hole and needs to heal or else it could tear. For the same reason, I cannot have another IUD within a year. (not that I would want it!) I can only use the pill now, which I am not very keen on because they make me depressed and stressed , my husband says I am a different person without them! This has been an absolute nightmare and never in a million years did I imagine it could happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
lux
post Jun 18 2010, 02:20 AM
Post #14

BUSTie

I used the Nuvaring for three years before i switched to a copper iud. It worked out fine for me in the beginning, but finally i got fed up with the negative effects on my sex drive, weight (could have also been something else), my pms getting worse again (it got better in the beginning, but that didn't last) and the effect on my blood glucose (i'm type 1 diabetic). But it also had some positive effects, such as predictable periods, less bleeding,, less migraines, because my hormone levels were more even.

It was great to use because you don't have to remember it every day. But i did have difficulties remembering to put a new one in after the weeks pause. With an iud you don't have to remember anything, which is great for me smile.gif . I don't feel like the ring and an iud are alike, because the iud is a lot more permanent. You can't just take it out on your own. Also for me, switching to non-hormonal was a big change, mainly for the better.

I you are interested in others experiences on nuvaring you might want to check out if you find something on the birth control thread. I bumped it up for you.

If you want to learn about others experiences on iud's, i suggest reading the archive here. Though i must warn you that there is an over weight on negative experience here, which i don't think reflects the reality accurately. Iud's are one of the most popular forms of birth control in the world, and most women are pleased with them. But i guess you rarely feel the need to write about positive experiences smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vega
post Jun 17 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #15

I've never tried an IUD but have used the NuvaRing which is kind of similar but not an IUD. I like it a lot and have never had any adverse effects with it. Before that I was on the pill but wasn't good at remembering to take it, so my partner used condoms. Has anyone else tried the Nuvaring?

--------------------
Allie Vega, Private Health Insurance Advisor

+Quote Post
lapis
post May 30 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, maybe I need to contextualize my situation and why I wanted to share. I think the PID was directly related to the IUD and would warn people not to dismiss pain associated with a new IUD as just normal or ovulation pain--get it checked out, preferably by people who deal with IUDs regularly. Also, I now question two things about my IUD situation: getting it placed during my period might be more convenient for the docs but leave the body susceptible to more bacterial harm (I read up on this a lot and was surprised) and wonder if using the diva cup might have contributed. I am really in awe that the IUD leaves the organs so much more open to bacteria/stds. Just some things to throw out there...

Also, my only signs of infection were:
1. Two days after placement I had uncontrollable chills (no fever) and a little pelvic pain. I went to the ER and they blew me off, giving me a prescription for a uti without testing me, and without checking for cervical motion tenderness. I don't get fevers and told them so, so maybe my situation didn't fit their diagnostic criteria for post-insertion PID.
2.Some cramping, tiny discharge, and barely any spotting around the time of ovulation over the months, nothing excruciating
There was nothing smelly or excessive going on, just a dull intermittent discomfort maybe a week out of the month
So when I finally got diagnosed there was cervical motion tenderness and a lot pus-like discharge (which I had chalked up to ovulation)
I think what I want to convey where is that having a foreign object in your body can create a host of new sensations and experiences and it is easy to downplay or self-diagnose them.

+Quote Post
lapis
post May 26 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lux @ May 26 2010, 01:47 AM) *
Sorry to hear that, lapis. I hope you get better soon!

Thanks, lux! I hope everyone else has an easy time of it. I think my long history with bv should have been a warning that this iud might be a bad idea. I'm getting it taken out tomorrow.

+Quote Post
lux
post May 26 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #18

BUSTie

Sorry to hear that, lapis. I hope you get better soon!

+Quote Post
lapis
post May 25 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi,
I got the iud in Feb, have had sex twice with the same person and now have PID. We are getting tested but I don't think there's a chance that we have an std, so I think it's some random bacteria.

+Quote Post
lux
post May 6 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #20

BUSTie

I keep telling that to myself, but i'm a bit paranoid with health stuff smile.gif

I was really expecting a lot more blood. My mom had an iud for a long time and said her period was 10 days with heavy flow. Auch. I'm glad i don't seem to take after her in this. I had spotting before as well, and seem to have it with the iud too. I know i really shouldn't complain, but sometimes it seems like a bit of a waste to keep bleeding just a tiny bit for days on end. I never really had very heavy flow, except when i was a teenager.

In northern europe it seems to be pretty popular, but most doctors push mirena here. I didn't feel like trying that, because i've had bad experiences with progesteron. And i just don't feel like shopping around.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21, 2014 - 09:41 PM