Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sleeping with the enemy...for those who have Verizon or AT&T cell phones
battygurl
post Jun 30 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I am so thankful that there are no Walmarts near me. There are some in the suburbs, but I don't have a car, so it would take forever to get there. Sometimes I hate having to go to a million different places instead of just one or two to do my errands, but ultimately I'm glad it's set up that way. I'm also thankful that I'm near a farmer's market.

--------------------
Tears are curious things, for like earthquakes or puppet shows they can occur at any time, without any warning, and without any good reason. --Lemony Snicket
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gardnerella
post Jun 30 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Wikipedia

Here is a list of radio/tv stations owned by Clear Channel Communications

edit: I edited that like 5 times

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 30 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

just a question (i think i'm going to cross-post in general knowledge base). anyone know where i can find a list of radio stations/venues/anything else owned by clearchannel?

+Quote Post
maddy29
post May 26 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone know anything bad about cingular? I have to switch from Sprint, even though I like them, cause they screwed me last year an di hvae to leave to make a point:-) Any ideas about a great new company? Do they have good coverage?

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 24 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Mr. Raskel and I spend about the same for food and eat all organic foods. I agree with nohope on the organic farming issue. But I do have to say that being we are both full time college students right now, there are times that I don't buy local, or I will go to walmart for food (and other things) and at this point in time I am thankful for it being available at lower costs. I hope that one day I won't have to depend on large corporations altogether. I like the idea of small businesses, local farmers, etc. It is our goal to one day rule these things out completely from our lives. We are getting better as time goes on. We are also moving in August to a place where we will not need a vehicle. We will still keep one of our cars for trips home (5 hours away) and food shopping, but apart from that it will be kept in a garage. Giving up driving is my sacrifice for my grocery bill.

+Quote Post
nohope
post May 24 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah it is more expensive. But I find it's worth it. I spend between $60-80 a week for two people and a very small dog. We eat almost 100% organic, vegetarian, and we are steadily moving in the direction of veganism and we try to buy local when it is available.

Probably the most important thing for keeping cost down for me is buying in bulk, preparing food from scratch and buying seasonal food.

Of course this is all possible because of were I live. Five years ago all of this would have been impossible. But I have made some important changes, moved into a community in which everything is in waking/biking distance. Where I there is a great Farmers Market (primarily organic farmers) and a large Food Coop (were I work two hours a week and get a 17% discount.) I also walk to work. That saves money on gas and car repair (I do have a car). And I know lots of people have kids. That is another huge savings for me and my partner (no kids. We don’t believe in reproduction.)

These are/were conscious quality of life decisions. I think one huge element in life, is that people don't plan. They don't ask what do I want? And so they have no strategy to get what they want. I think most people just go on autopilot; they copy their parents and peers or live by traditions. They do that with out ever asking whether the direction that leads, is rational. I made a commitment to myself almost ten years ago, that I was going to live a rational life. That continues to be an interesting personal experiment, because it requires me to question the very foundations of my previous assumptions. It’s this obsession, which has caused me to become interested in Anarchism, and feminism, and vegetarianism…. Etc. Because ultimately for me to live a rational life I must understand who I am…. What drives me… what is my relationship to the world…. I have to understand cause and effect…. Not just assume that what the world tells me about myself is anything more than a reflection of its values. Its really hard if not fundamentally impossible to I guess to separate reality from social construction… but unless one does that one can’t really live rationally.

I don't live a perfect life yet.... but compared to five years ago, when I was car dependent, had little access to healthy food, and had huge debts (that is another thing I’ve eliminated).... my life is much, much closer to were I want it.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 24 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

unfortunately yes.... this is the way things go. I for one, can not afford organics as is now because it is simply too expensive. I hate to say it but the only way I could afford it would be for prices to be driven down.....
when someone figures out how to keep the WalMarts of the world from taking over AND figures out how to offer products that are more affordable..... more power to 'em and I'll be all for it.....
*nohope* you have so much interesting and useful information..... maybe you will be the one who fixes all these woes..... I do enjoy your posts, definitely gives food for though :-)

+Quote Post
nohope
post May 24 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

The problem with WalMaart organics is that walMaart has a history of forcing down prices, and that will mean that only those who can compeat on cost will be able to make a living growing organics. Which mean that organic farms will inevitably become large and corprate simply to take advantage of economies of scale. And then they will begin to loby to undermine principles of organic farming which hurt the bottom line.

the bottom line being.... that "FDA Organic," will no longer be "Organic."

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 24 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Anymore info on the WalMart organics... has this started in anyone's area?

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post May 12 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for your thoughts, Voodoo. I'm in the same position. I have a few places nearby, but they are very expensive. I never shop at Wal-mart but I know I'm going to be tempted to check out their organic prices if they followthrough on this.

Getting back to Verizon, it was one of the three companies who gave the NSA phone records without asking any questions. Only phone company Quest asked for a warrant, and when one wasn't given (because they didn't have one), Quest said they wouldn't turn over their customers' records.

I've never even heard of Quest - are they a wireless provider?

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 12 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

mermaid - I think it's a double edged sword. On one hand, I personally, have no where close to buy organic foods. I do have a WalMart nearby tho. I would love to have a large variety of organics available to me locally BUT do I really want to support all the evils of WalMart with my hard earned money? Not really. I would rather support local farmers directly. Small chains. Anybody BUT WalMart. Unfortunately, there are no (or very few) organic farmers locally. No real organic grocery's locally (not close by anyway). I may be able to find an organic vege here or there, but not enough that I could go all organic and have any type of variety. The only option I have right now is a very very EXPENSIVE specialty organic grocery quite a ways from where I live. Just buying a FEW things there would BLOW my grocery budget for the week. I have 4 people to feed and we do it on about $60.00 to $90.00 per WEEK. There is no way we could afford the organics with our budget. WalMart is offering a larger selection at an affordable price (from what I have read on the subject) so, as much as I hate to shop there, sometimes there really is not much of an alternative. I can find fresh fruits and veges all day long at local farms, not organics though. I may have to stick with just the local stuff even though it's not organic and every so often I may pick up a thing or 2 at the WalMart. Until more people (like me) start DOING something to creat alternatives for people (like me) I suppose that we can all just do what we can and if it means sometimes buying your organics at WalMart, then I guess that's what it will be. It's just hard going up against "BIG MONEY" and try to make a difference, you know? Especially when MONEY is what makes things happen, and when you don't have it, well......

+Quote Post
mermaidgirl13
post May 12 2006, 06:52 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Don't know if this is the best place to post this, but what do you think about Wal-Mart starting to sell Organic food?

+Quote Post
peacereverie
post May 9 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, Llamas, all Meijer employees are unionized.When you become an employee, joining the union is a requirement.

+Quote Post
maddy29
post May 9 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

meijer's thrifty acres! meijer's ruless!!!!! i miss it so much-you can get everything there- a haircut, food, booze, clothes, presents, videos, everything!!!! sorry, just had to add that:-)

+Quote Post
divalla
post May 9 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Really, SuperValu is okay? My dad's a pharmacist there and when I asked him about the issue, he thought that pharmacists had the right to deny it per their policy. I guess I'll have to tell him otherwise, not that he'd ever try to pull that on anyone (even though he's actually pro-life, but very liberal in every other way, has to do with being Catholic). I just wish Walgreen's were better since they run rampant in my area.

+Quote Post
llamas
post May 9 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Meijer is in Ohio too, and as far as I know (but don't quote me on it until I do more research!) all their employees are unionized.

+Quote Post
peacereverie
post May 8 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

For Michigan folks, I go to the Meijer Pharmacy and I have never been denied birth control or even had a threat to be denied. I go there all the time.

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post May 8 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #18

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Here's a list of pharmacies that Planned Parenthood are okay with, who have policies that are birth-control friendly. I don't know anything about SuperValu and their pharmacy, but they got a thumbs-up.

Unfortunately, they didn't say how widely enforced these policies are.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
llamas
post May 8 2006, 01:23 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Bad me for abandoning the Michaels discussion over the weekend...

Anyway, in addition to the swift boat thing, as divalla said, the owners/CEOs of Michaels (two brothers) also were behind much of the really nasty negative campaigning in the 2000 primaries against John McCain; Republicans for Clean Air--yeah, that was them. Pretty much only them.

And then there are my personal experiences with the family...I went to college with one of the owners' sons, and said owner was also a trustee of the college. Let's just say that I had some problems with the son when he lived two doors down from me in the dorms, and disciplinary action that should have occured against him did not, probably because of daddy. So I have my own reasons to never support them, too.

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post May 8 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #20

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in about Verizon. Although they are a big megacorp, they are a very queer-friendly place to work, and have kick-ass benefits for ALL families, alternative or otherwise (health benefits, cover adoption costs, help with childcare). They also pay tuition/books for college (score!). Verizon allows unions, but they pay well above union-scale wages so they're not really necessary. Also, they take all the old cell phones, fix 'em up, and give them to battered women's shelters.
I don't really care who the CEO votes for/donates money too, as long as he doesn't care who I'm campaigning for!

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 30, 2014 - 04:47 PM