The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Out Of The Ashes To Ashes: The Smoking Cessation Thread, Support/Lifestyle Change for Ex-Smokers...or Soon-To-Be Smoke Free.
lilypickford
post Jun 29 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #21

BUSTie

Moonpieluv, you sound just like me 2 years ago. You are right on the verge. I was already disgusted by the whole thing before I even quit... and it is getting tougher and tougher to find non-smoking guys who are tolerant of smoking. And you need a non-smoker if you want to quit, because you really need to keep yourself away from it as much as you can. As a rule, my man never dated smokers. He told me later that my habit was almost a deal-breaker for him, but he really really liked me, so he made the exception. I quit 2 months into the relationship, and he is such good support about it now. Of course, if you find the luv of your life and he smokes, you shouldn't pass him up. It'll just be that much harder to quit... but maybe you can quit together.

Best of luck!! smile.gif

--------------------
Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see.
-Paul Klee

"Where the world ceases to be the scene of our personal hopes and wishes,
where we face it as free beings admiring, asking, and observing,
there we enter the realm of Art and Science."
-Albert Einstein
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 25 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

You guys are killer, or anti-killer, in that you have provided me with some support.... I've been friggin ready... I stare at the damn things like "what the hell is this thing anyways?" How bizarre that it's in my life so thoroughly. ugh.
I see these people joggin down the street all early in the morning, or I participate in yoga with the incredible importance of breath, and think "WHY?" fear, perhaps?

The time is coming soon because I must save money MUST save $$. And I'm tired of stinky stinky everything. I'm glad it's becoming socially unpopular to smoke. There's been so many situations that I've been in that made me feel like an outcast.

And I have to say this, despite how totally retarded this sounds, but I'm using it as ammo against the urge... a PRO on my Pro's and Con's list...
I have noticed, ahem, that there seems to be more men that are the kind of erudite individuals that I crave, that seem to have the qualities that I'm looking for.... who don't smoke. And well, because I'm concerned about my health, my lifestyle in general (ya know the rocker drinker smoker type=unhealthy), I want to be with someone who wants to do the same or already does. If I'm doing it, perhaps I would be the flower they would want to pollinate. tee hee.

But seriously, regardless.... I feel bad when my cat leaves the room and meows at me outside my door.... I feel bad stepping outside and he meows at me thru the door!! My cat must be trying to tell me something!!!!

Keep on keeping on... help the potential ex-smoker with your stories, rants, etc!!

+Quote Post
kari
post Jun 25 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

Ginger, I think our city is banning smoking in certain types of establishments. Restaurants being one of them. Bars are exempt. Not sure about the bars that also serve food. I hope they become non smoking, but I am not holding my breath. Then again, one of them recently became smoke free by choice.
My husband also smokes socially. I really want him to quit. He has to make the decision on his own, I think he's getting closer.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jun 24 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

I was never much of a smoker, I tried it when I was younger but I just never became addicted. Other than a few clove cigarettes(very few like one or two a year), I haven't smoked for almost ten years.

My hubby is a social smoker. But my city just past a smoking ban in all public places(bars, restuarants, etc.) so it's been a lot easier for him to avoid. And we don't let people smoke in our house.

Anyway, goodluck on quitting, moonpie and other busties!

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
pympmama1
post Jun 23 2007, 04:38 AM
Post #25

BUSTie

QUOTE(Moonpieluv @ Jun 20 2007, 11:12 AM) *
Anyone? Well.... I feel like the last smoker/wannabe ex-smoker on earth.... (crickets chirping).

LOL u are not alone....i wanna quit..... the last time I quit I gave up coffee and I was iratable and tired all the time.... When you work 3shift coffee is your lifeline.... Ciggie stink and they stink up my clothes but I love a cup of coffee and a cigarette

+Quote Post
pympmama1
post Jun 23 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #26

BUSTie

I currently smoke I have tried 4 times to quit..... I don't drink... but I LOVE coffee and whenever I have coffee the urge to smoke is so heavy....It ofcourse does not help that I go to starbucks and have coffee and everyone I know there smokes... I want to quit.... I tried the gum... It is horrid... and it feels like someone sprayed by tongue with pepper.....

+Quote Post
lilypickford
post Jun 22 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #27

BUSTie

My story is similar to Sassafrass. I smoked for 20 years, age 15-35, quit 2 years ago. I smoked about 1/2 pack a day, unless I was out partying, then it was about a pack. I tried to quit several times a year, from age 25-35, and had been cutting down dramatically for the last year that I smoked. But what really did it for me was my wonderful man. He was definitely against me smoking, and wouldn't let me smoke around him, but he didn't pressure me to quit. What really made me do it then--? I finally had a great boyfriend after a TOTAL DROUGHT for 3 long years, and the sex was FABULOUS... but the thing was that I wanted to go on the pill. I was 35. You can't do both without SERIOUS risk of stroke. It was kind of a no brainer: Carefree sex with a gorgeous sexy man, or smoke?

I quit. Cold turkey. There are definitely times that I miss it, but honestly as soon as I was on the birth control, I knew that I actually could not smoke without seriously risking my health. That's how I've gotten through every temptation.

I agree... you have to really want it, and also the conditions have to be right. They don't have to be good [I was starting a new full-time faculty job at the time], but they have to be right.

You know, one of the things that helped me in my last year when I was cutting down so much was that I never got on myself for going back to it after a few days of not smoking. My philosophy was that every gigarette I didn't smoke was one less smoked in my entire lifetime... and that's really encouraging.

Good luck, women!!! You really can get over it.

--------------------
Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see.
-Paul Klee

"Where the world ceases to be the scene of our personal hopes and wishes,
where we face it as free beings admiring, asking, and observing,
there we enter the realm of Art and Science."
-Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
sassafrass
post Jun 22 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #28

BUSTie

I smoked for 10 years: age 17 to 27. It was such an integral part of my life and I thought it was actually a part of my personality (this was in the 90s, right before smoking became completely socially unacceptable). Anyway, I met this guy (who's now my husband), and he didn't like my smoking but never nagged me about it (absolutely key: nag me to change and I won't, dammit!), but said one night, somewhat sadly, "I just wish you would be around for the long haul", as in, rather than dying of cancer. I don't know why, maybe it was just good timing, but I decided very soon after to quit. That was on a friday, and I declared that, come monday morning, I would be smoke free. So I spent the whole weekend smoking as many ciggarettes as possible, and by sunday afternoon I was so sick of them that I was actually looking forward to quitting. And that was it! Oh, I tried the patch for half a day, but it made me sick (what a waste of $50), so I just went cold turkey. I feel really, really lucky----it was like to desire was taken away from me, so there was no struggle. And I was a BIG smoker. I smoked about a pack a day and had fancy lighters (including fist-sized crystal types that sit on your coffeetable, like Bette Davis might use), gorgeous ashtrays from the 1960's, silver ciggarette case, etc.
One caveat, tho: I had stopped drinking before this, so I wasn't bombarded by the desire to smoke when I drank. Man, that's really hard to resist. Anyway, It's been 10 years! Maybe my method will work for someone else. I totally agree you have to be ready and to want it.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 20 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #29

it's cards on the table time

Moonpie, I'll jump in as I'm still a smoker. A social smoker, but I've realised it doesn't make much difference how I smoke, it's that I smoke at all.

The mister and I both smoke. We're moving to a new place this summer with his child, which means we won't be smoking in the house. We're hoping that'll encourage us to stop.

What I've found in past attempts to quit, though, is (for me) I have to understand the psychological reasons I smoke. For that, Alan Carr is quite good, and surprisingly understanding. I also agree with kari: you have to be ready.

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Jun 20 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

moonpieluv, good luck. i quit smoking last year and it was tough. i used nicotine patches, which are
pricey but really helped me through those first two months. luckily, it took.

have you considered some type of nicotine replacement aids so that you can focus on changing your
habits before the withdrawals commence? previously, i had tried to quit smoking at least five or six
times. the expenditure on patches helped me to stay strong. i didn't want to think all my cash had been
misspent. i don't know if that helps at all...

+Quote Post
kari
post Jun 20 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

hi, moonpieluv!

There did indeed used to be a thread on this topic, but alas, it is gone.

I'm an ex-smoker. I quit by reading Alan Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. I think you're right, a book alone can't do it, you really have to be ready. Which, I was. I would recommend this book though, it helped me a lot. It focuses on changing your entire mindset about smoking, not simply tricks you can try to quit.

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 20 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Anyone? Well.... I feel like the last smoker/wannabe ex-smoker on earth.... (crickets chirping).

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 19 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, all.... I'm sure one has created a thread like this in the past... but I wish to resurrect this topic cause well... I want to stop smoking. Books alone don't help, as I have found some really great ones... even books that don't include dissecting your childhood with workbook activities.

The title of this topic was inspired by an excellent pocket sized book called "Out of the Ashes".

Smoking is so inherently anti-life. and yet, I continue to do it.

Holler if you would like to participate in this thread!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 19, 2014 - 04:33 PM