The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

55 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The General Health Question Thread
pepper
post Sep 5 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #1

My cootch is just like my boobs, different nearly every damn day. Seriously, I never know what size the girls are gonna be when I wake up in the morning and I have smelled of all kinds of strangeness down there. Celery, curry, garlic, peaches, earthy, yeasty, musty, fishy, copper tangy... I don't know if it's diet or hormones or ph or what but it's like I wake up wearing a different body every few days. It's so weird.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Sep 1 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Ap- LOL! Hahaha, I'm laughing too much to answer! No, I don't think it's actually coming from my vag- It's as though its within my olofactory nerves or whatever. Hahaha....
Swt simplicity- I will up the yogurts and probiotics and see if I notice a difference.

Lol... still laughing over APs answer.
Sorry ladies. Must have shared too much. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Sep 1 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sageykins @ Aug 31 2010, 03:58 PM) *
Hi ladies,
I need some thoughts- I think I know what's going on but I'm not certain. Every once in a while (like maybe 2 times a year) somewhere between my period (what i'm guessing to be around the time I might be ovulating) I have this scent that I smell. I don't think I'm actually giving off a scent, it's as though it's in my sinuses... but I'm wondering if it's pheromones. As I breathe in and 'smell' my... coffee, my lunch, my home with candles- I note this underlying.. sort of musty scent. I don't understand it. And it isn't exactly musty but I don't know how else to explain it.
Does anyone else have anything similar? Or is it just me? I don't think it's bv either, I'm not dealing with those symptoms really. I'm just curious if it is hormonal or what. but why don't I notice it every month? Am I just more fertile now?
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks busties!

Yeah, I used to experience something similar mainly because of a mild bacterial imbalance. My gynecologist said my pH was 4.5 which is considered to be normal and there were small signs of inflammation but nothing out of the ordinary. She also did smell my discharge and said that it smelled kind of sour-milkish and musty but she also said that is normal. You should probably consult with a gynecologist and get your pH checked. The vaginal pH does get higher and lower sometimes due to many reasons.

Once I began eating more prebiotic foods and taking probiotic supplements I wasn't experiencing the mustiness anymore.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 1 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #4

Big Fat Bitch

Darlin', this is the Bust Lounge, not WebMD. I'ma a wager none of us know why your cunny smells weird sometimes. Our resident medical/holistic professional hasn't been here since January & while some folks might be able to share their experiences with musty smells coming from their nethers twice a year, I doubt you'd get much practical/useful insight as to what it might be. Support & hugs in spades, yes, but nothing practical.

Honestly, if it really bugs you, you should probably schedule an appt with your gyno. And sadly, if the BV thread is anything to go by, they probably won't be able to tell you dick about it either.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Aug 31 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

So... what is it? I'm pretty certain actually that I am ovulating. I track it.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 31 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Big Fat Bitch

Um, NOT pheremones. I'd suggest maybe checking out the wiki page on phermones to get a better understanding of what they are, how they work, & the study of them in relation to human beings.

Also, I don't know if you do this already, but you may want to make note of your cycle if you "guess" it might be around the time you are ovulating. I use Monthlyinfo.com to keep track of my flow since it only takes a few seconds & I can always find it unlike my calendar.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Aug 31 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi ladies,
I need some thoughts- I think I know what's going on but I'm not certain. Every once in a while (like maybe 2 times a year) somewhere between my period (what i'm guessing to be around the time I might be ovulating) I have this scent that I smell. I don't think I'm actually giving off a scent, it's as though it's in my sinuses... but I'm wondering if it's pheromones. As I breathe in and 'smell' my... coffee, my lunch, my home with candles- I note this underlying.. sort of musty scent. I don't understand it. And it isn't exactly musty but I don't know how else to explain it.
Does anyone else have anything similar? Or is it just me? I don't think it's bv either, I'm not dealing with those symptoms really. I'm just curious if it is hormonal or what. but why don't I notice it every month? Am I just more fertile now?
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks busties!

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jul 8 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey ladies, its been a lot better since school ended for the summer, thanks! I think its happened like one other time when I was worried about something that happened at my new job. If I can just find a way to calm myself down then the pain goes away, which is how I know its a mental/stress thing. Persi I love the idea of writing it all down so that I can just forget about it, I'm gonna try that thanks!

Pepper I don't really know anything about tubal ligation, I'll ask around though!

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jul 8 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Runnergirl: I've got the non-hormonal coil fitted, and it's worked very well for me. It made cramps slightly worse at first, but I felt much better emotionally.

Buttercups: How horrible! I find ginger and mint to both be good at settling my stomach, so I keep a packet of ginger sweets of peppermints by the bed. I know how hard it is to get worrying thoughts out of your head in the middle of the night; have you tried keeping a notebook by your bed and writing down all the things that are worrying you? Then you can say to yourself 'good, I've made a note of that and will deal with it in the morning'.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
pepper
post Jul 6 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #10

Wow, Buttercups, did you figure this out, are you feeling any better? Sounds awful honey, hope you found a solution.

I am wondering if any of you know anything about tubal ligation? I've researched so I know the basics but personal experiences sometimes tell a whole nuther story...

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Feb 1 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone on here ever get stomachaches from anxiety?? I keep getting horrible horrible stomachaches that wake me up in the middle of the night. I thought it was lactose intolerance, an allergy, a bunch of different things. Last night I had one again that woke me up and I thought I might even have food poisoning, bc these stomachaches also come with diarrhea (isn't that wonderful?). But I'm beginning to realize more and more that they happen when I'm really stressed out and start worrying and worrying myself all night until I finally fall asleep and then wake up 2 hrs later with a stomachache. If I can somehow manage to calm myself down, the terrible pain goes away. If I think about any problem I'm worrying about for a second, it comes back and hurts even more. Has anyone else ever experienced this? What can I do for it/how can I calm down? This is seriously worsening my already big sleep problem. Now I have a full day of class with about 3 hrs of sleep..any advice would be most appreciated!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 17 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Runnergirl, I think coming off any hormone manipulation/replacement drug is a good thing. I know you're afraid of the possibility of cramps with each period, but that's minor. There are other things to think about first.

If you're looking for other forms of birth control, look in the archives here where people have discussed various types of birth control that they've used and what they've thought about the various options out there. For a time there was even a natural family planning birth control method thread here, where people talked about monitoring all phases of the cycle so that you could know exactly when you'd be fertile and when you'd be infertile. You could plan to use a barrier method and spermicide during fertile times to avoid becoming pregnant. It's an excellent method but you really do need to be in a relationship with someone you trust enough to respect the stages of your cycle. Done properly it's as effective as the pill and it doesn't subject you to the horrendous amounts of hormones you have to deal with on the pill. See if you can find that thread as well as all the other discussions about IUDs, barrier methods, etc. Please look into replacing the birth control method immediately, as your body will likely produce more ova every month until things balance out--but who knows how long that will take? Everyone is different. You're vulnerable to pregnancy so do take steps to protect yourself when you come off your pill for good.

As for the cramping with your periods, you could try using a biochemical tissue salt as necessary--especially if the kind of cramps you experience are the kind that always feel better when you double over, apply heat (like with a hot water bottle or a heating pad of some kind), and lie down for a while. If this is what you experience, you can pick up some Magnesium Phosphorica Biochemical Tissue salts from your local health food store in a 12x or 6x potency, and take four of these little pills dissolved in a little warm water every fifteen minutes when your cramps start. I usually tell people to take a dose every fifteen minutes until they no longer feel any cramping. I've rarely seen anyone have to take more than two doses for severe cramps.

They're not expensive, they work really quickly if your symptoms match the description above, they're pleasant tasting, and best of all, they may not only get you out of pain when you take them, they might actually stop the cramps from returning ever, during your cycle. Everyone's different, so we can't predict, but they're certainly worth a try.

Another option for cramps: a daily regime of cod liver oil capsules and oil of evening primrose capsules. Make this super easy and take six to eight Efalex omega 3 and 6 fatty acid complex capsules every day for three months--then reduce your dose to 3 or 4 capsules per day after that time. You should find this to help with hormonal rebalance after coming off the pill as well as alleviating the cramps every month.

Good luck! Oh, and the bonus of coming off the pill? Your sex drive returns. Whew.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
runnergirl
post Dec 15 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

Sorry, I wasn't sure what thread to post this under, so I hope this is ok.

So, I've been on the pill for a little more than 5 and a half years ( wow!). I went on it because I had horribly heavy TOM and wanted to get that and my acne under control. I've been having bad cramps and I've been thinking about it quitting it lately. I've had some on again off again depression during the last five years too, and have to wonder if it is related. I was diagnosed with depression by a Dr. took the meds for about a year, and went off of them. Moodwise I've been better, tiredness not so much....and I remember being this tired ever since I started the pill but not before.

I've been on 4 different pills. The first one and I didn't get along, I felt nauseated all the time. I had a long stint on one pill, but the last year or so I've been cramping and being really emotional around TOM. Like crazy needy, just wanting to lay around and have the bf cuddle me. So my Dr. switched me a few times. I haven't really noticed a change in that, which is a side effect I don't like.

I could get horrible cramps again, and go right back on it. But I guess I want to try and see what happens. I don't like the idea of hormones in my body anymore. Thoughts? Suggestions?

What about bc alternatives? I've been thinking about the cervical cap?

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 2 2009, 08:44 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

!!!!!

There are a lot of doctors out there who have similar philosophies--I am really lucky to learn from some very skillful and knowledgeable people. But the compliment is lovely, thank you.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Dec 2 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

*takes a number to ask chacha a health question*

Dear lady, I've traveled the world looking for a doctor who thinks like you.

This post has been edited by sevenseconds: Dec 2 2009, 06:21 AM

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Dec 2 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi Sib,

Just to expand on what I was getting at about the mental/emotional state and its connection to disease of any kind:

you list a lot of big life changes there. Generally, I understand allergy in this way: the body has been completely drained of all of its available defenses except its last remaining ones. It has become so worn down that all the usual protective devices have been used up.

Think of a relationship in your life which mimics this exact situation: one that has demanded so much from you that it was used up all your defenses and resources. Think of a relationship that drains your strength.

It could be with a lover, with a specific friend or family member, with someone at work, with your job itself, at your school, in your classes, maybe the course itself, what you're studying. You don't have to answer anyone here, but you really have to do the work of analyzing your life this way.

There is a referral list of qualified homeopaths for North America at http://www.homeopathy-cures.com/search.html (though we've been censored on this board lately! So the links don't work. Just copy and paste it into the address bar). If you're in the UK, know that the NHS covers you for homeopathic care. I do know of a number of very good practicing homeopaths there if you're close to London or Manchester or Wales. There is also a nice little link on the homeopathy-cures site which explains the "letters" and credentials after peoples' names, that will be helpful in allowing you to choose who to see. One tip: just because the person is an MD, doesn't mean they're capable homeopaths--the best have focused their training on that medical science. Look for people who've passed the qualifying exams (CHC) and have done at least the basic 5 years of training (D. S. Hom. Med., R.S.Hom. Med., DHANP). Then contact the individual ones close to you, chat with them on the phone for a few minutes, get a feel for them. If you get the sense that they'd be a good person to work with to help you restore your health, great. If you don't, keep looking. I recommend you familiarize yourself with the basics of homeopathy so you know what to expect from your treatment, how the medicines are made, how they are meant to be used. There is a link to this kind of information on that site as well, or you could go to www.demystify.com and read Demystifying Homeopathy there.

Good luck, Sib. I know you'll get better.

This post has been edited by chachaheels: Dec 2 2009, 06:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lunalu
post Dec 1 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #17

BUSTie

QUOTE(lightchested @ Nov 28 2009, 08:16 PM) *
If I could go back in time to when I was in hives hell, I'd do then what I'm doing now, in order to avoid being in the situation that I'm now in: I'd learn about liver function & how it relates to hives, I'd pick a method of liver cleanse that I could deal with and I'd do it every six weeks until my liver were clear, I'd stop eating sugar (to kill off the candida fungus- also related to the hives), and I'd get my food allergies treated with NAET.

I'd do it then before it was too late. Once it blows up into MCS, you become so far behind the eight ball you can barely see it.

lightchested,

thanks for responding to my post, too. I think I remember I had some diagnostics done with my liver and nothing came out weird, but it might be good to check it again. I also don't have a sweet tooth, so I hardly ever use sugar, I don't drink juice, I don't use sugar in tea, I don't crave for candy / chocolate, and now I stopped the flour too, I don't eat processed food, so I don't know what else I can do to change. I will ask my naturopath about MCS and see what she might say.

--------------------
"All young women begin by believing they can change and reform the men they marry. They can't." ~George Bernard Shaw

+Quote Post
Lunalu
post Dec 1 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 23 2009, 07:21 AM) *
Even without that, ask your naturopath to put you on an elimination diet and to study the results of that carefully so as to create a supplement treatment program to help build your immune system back up. On an elimination diet, you start by eliminating all the foods that contain the items to which you are susceptible. You go for a number of weeks without them, then slowly add a food back into the diet, one at a time so that you can clearly monitor your reaction to it. No reaction--food stays. Reaction, you keep that food out of the diet.

That takes a considerable amount of time longer than homeopathy, but you will still not only benefit from the treatment by learning exactly how your body responds to exposure to different foods (or lack of exposure), you'll also regain your strength as you go. But be forewarned--that takes a lot of commitment. Stick with it, the outcome will be good.

Because it's nothing to dismiss, I always tell patients that the bottom line on EVERY allergy is not what you're allergic to, but WHO you are allergic to. Your hives started in January--that's a good clue that might give you a "never been well since" event. What changed in your life in January--including all the people you deal with, every type of relationship you've got, in your life, your work, your family, your social circle, etc. That is what's creating the susceptibility. Figure that out and you'll have a very good idea on what you need to fix in your life to become well again.

chachaheels,

Thanks for all the information you gave. It's been in my mind to write a response to your reply, i havent had the chance.
when I started going to my naturopath (last february)she put me on a hypo-allergenic diet right away, and that excluded all the dairy, gluten / wheat products, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.. very common allergens, so I did that for like 2 months and my condition was still not improving. It was then we did the comprehensive allergy testing with 50 foods and other processed ingredient, and it turned out I had allergy to pretty much everything I was eating regularly. After the hypo-allergenic diet, I had switched to almond milk, then it turned out i had almond insensitivity, too. Not just that, but many other insensitivities, and it is really difficult to avoid some things more than others, for example after my hypo-allergenic diet, I switched to brown rice bread, even though I was not eating bread all the time, and now it turns out I have an allergic reaction to yeast as well... so anyway
What I wanted to say was that my naturopath and I talked about elimination diet many times, and it is just that we never came to a point where I felt okay to start putting these ingredient back to my diet because it has not been getting better, and this is the thing that makes me think it may not just diet related.
So I quit smoking too, it has been 2 weeks now, and I'm not taking Zyrtec for 3 nights, and I'm getting wheals and scratch markings now in the evenings.

I agree with you on that prescription meds. do not cure hives. It just suppresses my hives, that's why I need to find out the underlying cause of my hives so that can be treated. But I don't know, this is getting frustrated more and more every day.

Also, since last January, I had lots of life-events, I'm trying to finish school (I have a winter break in 10 days, we'll see how my hives will act during non-stress time) and I have been taking lots of credits and working part-time at the same time. I had major family problems with health issues, relationship/marriage issues, un/employment-lay-off, busy school schedule,etc... so 2009 has not turned out very nice for me. A lot of these things are not under my control, so maybe once I'm over this time-cycle (I'm getting my degree in March), maybe I'll be hives-free then...

Anyway, this turned into a long post. I was going to ask you if there is anything else that I should maybe look into-either further diagnostic tests? or different treatment...
I have been regularly drinking licorice root tea by the way, and I haven't noticed a change. Also, my naturopath-I don't think- she does homeopathy, I would be curious to find out how I can benefit from it, though... But like you say, it is difficult to find someone who is not just interested in charging me and my insurance, and sending me off with a list of drug mixtures.

--------------------
"All young women begin by believing they can change and reform the men they marry. They can't." ~George Bernard Shaw

+Quote Post
lightchested
post Nov 28 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #19

BUSTie

QUOTE(sib @ Nov 22 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Any suggestions? Anyone has ever experience this kind of long-term hives?

I am from the small-chested board, but I had to respond to this.

I've had full body hives the size of nickels. I had them for months and sometimes years at a time. I also had other symptoms that I didn't know were related, but were. A major one was random ear pain that an ear/nose/throat specialist could not diagnose. He said my ears were "normal". I asked if chronic pain is normal. He admitted that it isn't, and said it was probably "allergy related". So many doctors, for so many years, blew off my symptoms as "allergy related", wrote me a script for the allergy med of the day, and charged me a fee for their knowledgeable services.

Now I have full blown MCS, can't work, and am trying to afford my naturopathic treatment, not covered by insurance, with my unemployment pittance. That, coupled with the cost of my now-necessary organic food, is crippling when added to my other "normal" expenses (car, cell phone, etc.)

If I could go back in time to when I was in hives hell, I'd do then what I'm doing now, in order to avoid being in the situation that I'm now in: I'd learn about liver function & how it relates to hives, I'd pick a method of liver cleanse that I could deal with and I'd do it every six weeks until my liver were clear, I'd stop eating sugar (to kill off the candida fungus- also related to the hives), and I'd get my food allergies treated with NAET.

I'd do it then before it was too late. Once it blows up into MCS, you become so far behind the eight ball you can barely see it.

--------------------
May visible pyramids one day lurk beneath my sweaters.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 23 2009, 07:21 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

All illness is "stress related". And all illness results from susceptibility. No exceptions.

That being said, it's good to know specifics about what you might be reacting to--so if you've been told that you have specific sensitivites, that's going to help you to keep yourself away from them because of your susceptibility to sensitivity.

Your hives may be diet related, but suppressing your body's natural healing attempts (which is to make the hives in the first place, believe it or not) is not the best thing to do. I always see great signs of hope if a prescription drug like Zyrtec ONLY works when it is used, but the body's resilience is evidenced by the fact that the actual hives do not remain suppressed when the drug is not used. Whenever I see this I know that you have enough health to actually become healthy again, without using suppressive treatments.

A lot of patients hate to hear that, but they all know it's right. Yes, the hives are a nuisance--but they are also your body's information to you about the fact that you need to work on eliminating the sensitivities and allergies, not just suppress them. Suppressing never works--it actually makes you far more sick and when we're dealing with allergies and allergic reactions (the body's "last ditch" efforts at self-defense, as all its defenses are exhausted), the only place for the illness to go is deep.

So--your naturopath sounds like he/she has access to some diagnostic tools/tests--but does he/she have any formal training in homeopathic medicine (not herbalism, not polypharmacy, but classical Homeopathy). If he/she does, he/she will have credentials from the regulatory bodies in Homeopathy--proof that they've undergone the minimum education requirements and passed the CHC exam for certification. It is definitely one way to eliminate all the sensitivities to foods and fix whatever is happening with your hormone imbalances and reproductive system--believe me, they are all interrelated. If it's done properly, Classical Homeopathy works brilliantly--but you have to look hard to make sure your practitioner is qualified and isn't just selling some combination drug mixtures to you under the guise of homeopathy. It's impossible to tell what they're doing and how you're improving or not with those things.

Even without that, ask your naturopath to put you on an elimination diet and to study the results of that carefully so as to create a supplement treatment program to help build your immune system back up. On an elimination diet, you start by eliminating all the foods that contain the items to which you are susceptible. You go for a number of weeks without them, then slowly add a food back into the diet, one at a time so that you can clearly monitor your reaction to it. No reaction--food stays. Reaction, you keep that food out of the diet.

That takes a considerable amount of time longer than homeopathy, but you will still not only benefit from the treatment by learning exactly how your body responds to exposure to different foods (or lack of exposure), you'll also regain your strength as you go. But be forewarned--that takes a lot of commitment. Stick with it, the outcome will be good.

Because it's nothing to dismiss, I always tell patients that the bottom line on EVERY allergy is not what you're allergic to, but WHO you are allergic to. Your hives started in January--that's a good clue that might give you a "never been well since" event. What changed in your life in January--including all the people you deal with, every type of relationship you've got, in your life, your work, your family, your social circle, etc. That is what's creating the susceptibility. Figure that out and you'll have a very good idea on what you need to fix in your life to become well again.

--------------------

+Quote Post

55 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25, 2014 - 08:41 PM