Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hiv Testing, Can we talk?
HIV
Do you know your HIV status?
Yes [ 43 ] ** [91.49%]
No [ 4 ] ** [8.51%]
Have you had unprotected sex with a partner whose HIV status you didn't know?
Yes [ 24 ] ** [50.00%]
No [ 24 ] ** [50.00%]
How often do you discuss HIV status with a partner before having sex?
Never [ 6 ] ** [12.77%]
Rarely [ 7 ] ** [14.89%]
Sometimes [ 8 ] ** [17.02%]
Often [ 13 ] ** [27.66%]
Everytime [ 13 ] ** [27.66%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
shinyx3
post Nov 26 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #21

go ahead . . . push the button!

damn pixie, that is such a cute pic for your avatar

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Nov 26 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #22

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

QUOTE(culturehandy @ Nov 25 2007, 06:47 PM) *
I picked out a piece of my academic writing to submit.

All this talk of successful masters work and full time work is reassuring. Thanks all!

So, I'm in the mood to do some xmas baking, I think I may pick up some magazines with some recipes. I'm looking forward to it.

Mr. Pixie is almost finished with his masters..just has to write his thesis next semester, although he's about half finished already since he is just expanding on a previous research topic. But he's working a full time and part time job too...as well as having a whole family to take care of. So it can all be balanced!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 25 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #23

shoot, we drove into town for groceries and i forgot my baking supplies list. darn it all. next time, then pictures to make you drool and curse me, mwahahahahahaha!

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 25 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #24

(o)(o)

I picked out a piece of my academic writing to submit.

All this talk of successful masters work and full time work is reassuring. Thanks all!

So, I'm in the mood to do some xmas baking, I think I may pick up some magazines with some recipes. I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Nov 24 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

CH, I am just about to finish my masters while working one full time job and one part time job. I will be kinda sad when I'm done because i will have all of this free time and I wont know what to do with myself. I will be happy though when I start making more money!! Good luck.

+Quote Post
beck
post Nov 20 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

now i think about it, i guess the other colours of M&Ms/smarties are probably not derived from natural ingredients either - but it's easier to kid myself that they are full of healthy goodness! pepper the sorbet recipe was so funny i laughed out loud at work. I like the direction of this thread too, and your current job sounds great. I am sooo looking forward to doing the same. And i have much more confidence that i will know what i'm doing, unlike in my actual *profession*

culturehandy, i did my masters part-time over 2 years and worked fulltime, my employers (another cushy govt job wink.gif ) were very supportive and i did get some study leave round exam/dissertation time. i actually really enjoyed it - as it was an area relevant to my job, a lot of the people on the course worked in that field, and it made for much more interesting discussions and informed debate, as people were bringing a real life perspective. got much more from it than the undergrad one, which gave me a big stack of debt that I am still paying off now.

am now going away to puzzle over how a gingerbread vagina would look...

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 20 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #27

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 20 2007, 01:26 PM) *
blue cock-pops?! awesome! if i get a mould, mold (? whatever) i'll make some too but i might make mine purple, another colour that's so wrong for food.

Wouldn't those be blue balls? tongue.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 20 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #28

(o)(o)

I'd like to make "adult" gingerbread cookies. Most sex shops sell fun cookie cutter cutouts of vagina's and penis'

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 20 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(culturehandy @ Nov 20 2007, 12:50 PM) *
I'm going to make them and dye them..... BLUE!!!!!

blue cock-pops?! awesome! if i get a mould, mold (? whatever) i'll make some too but i might make mine purple, another colour that's so wrong for food.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 20 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #30

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Pixie, I can definitely help you out more with the baklava question than the wallpaper question in the home decor thread. Here's the recipe I posted in the barefoot thread in August '06. I've made it several times and everyone says it's the best baklava they've ever had. It's actually pretty easy, but you really need a good 45-60 mins of prep time. Make sure the air is pretty humid where you're working, too or the phyllo dough will dry out.

ETA: I always add extra cinnamon (like, at least double what the recipe says) because we're cinnamon addicts around here.

Baklava
Serves 10-12

Filling
1 lb. walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Pastry
1 lb. pkg. Phyllo dough
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Syrup
1 1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 C water
1 large cinnamon stick
2-3 whole cloves
1 T lemon juice
2 T clear honey

Preheat oven to 350°

Defrost pastry if needed and keep it covered with a damp cloth, as it dries out quickly. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl. Butter the base of a large rectangular roasting pan (approx. 15 x 10 in.) and cover it neatly with 5-6 sheets of pastry, brushing each layer with butter before lifting it from the stack. Fold in the excess length of each sheet at alternating ends. Spread half of the filling over the pastry and cover it with 3 more layers of buttered pastry. Spread over the remaining filling and fold over all the edges, enclosing the filling neatly. Butter each remaining sheet of pastry and cover top neatly. Cut through only the top layers of pastry to form small oblong or diamond shapes to facilitate serving once it has been cooked. Sprinkle the edges with cold water to prevent curling. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Turn heat up to 375° and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool before adding syrup.

Mix syrup ingredients except for the honey and boil for 8-10 minutes. Add honey and simmer for another 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon and cloves and pour the syrup slowly over the cooled baklava. Let stand for 10 minutes until all the syrup has been absorbed and it looks glossy on top. If kept covered, it will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
laniethezany
post Nov 20 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #31

BUSTie

running - have you ever made gingerbread for holiday treats? You can do so much with it, decoration wise. A couple of years ago my then-sweetie and I made punk rock gingerbread people for our work party - they had leather jackets and piercings and crazy hair. We used this icing that I seem to remember being called "egg paint" - it involved egg yolks and was runny so you painted it on with a brush before baking the cookies. We even had a couple of our cookies with plaid skirts. And just to get the tie-in with the current theme of the thread - you could even give them blue hair.

ETA: I just got back from a few lunchtime errands, and found myself compelled to pick up some candy cane Hershey's Kisses, aka Christmas crack.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 20 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #32

(o)(o)

I'm going to make them and dye them..... BLUE!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 20 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #33

here's a hard candy recipe i got from a girl on another site, it can be made with so many flavours (lemon, almond, mint etc) and can be poured into moulds as well (did i spell that right?). i saw some in the shape of small penises, cock-pops ha ha!

All equipment you will need: Large sauce pan, cookie sheet, candy thermometer, measuring cup(s), metal/wooden spoon, baking/cooking spray(to grease cookie sheet), cooling rack and wax paper.

***Recipe***
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram (1 teaspoon) of flavoring
1/2 teaspoon of food coloring (or you can just add a couple drops--coloring to your liking)
Powdered sugar

1. Lightly grease/oil a cookie sheet
2. In the saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup, water. Stir over med. heat until sugar dissolves.
3. Place the candy thermometer in the pan (making sure the tip doesn't touch the bottom!!!) Bring to a boil without stirring.
4. When temperature reaches 260 degrees, add color. DON"T stir--the boiling action will spread the color.
5. Remove from heat when it reaches 300 degrees.
6. Add the flavoring and stir. Pour syrup onto lightly greased/oiled candy molds or cookie sheet and score to mark squares. (I set my cookie sheet on the cooling rack.)
Tip: The smaller the cookie sheet, the longer it will take to set, before you can score. But it will set around 5 minutes, just keep trying to score until the lines stay. This will also make thicker pieces.
For thinner pieces use a bigger cookie sheet, but beware the mixture will cool within a minute.
7. Now for the fun part: when cool, break the pieces (I placed wax paper on the cooling rack and carefully flipped the pan over) and dust with the powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Store in an airtight container. Tip: you can put some powdered sugar in a ziploc bag, to create a shaker bag. Just place some pieces in the bag, close and shake until coated.

Now you can enjoy the candy!!! But please be careful as some pieces might have sharp edges.

+Quote Post
runningwestward
post Nov 20 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

That entire site is fabulous!

I never got my bon bons yesterday but those pics of bon bons below are making the cravings worse! Except the blue ones. But I do hear you with the blue M&Ms and blue Smarties (being from Canuckistan). And blueberries are pretty darn fantastic... and I once made a cake in the shape of a freighter with blue icing (for a friend who was finishing his MASc in Naval Architecture). So maybe blue foods aren't so freaky.

I needed ideas for home baked holiday treats and this has been uber helpful. I've done truffles, sweet and spicy nuts, and chocolate roche in the past... I need something new to give out at Christmas.

I couldn't imagine working full time and doing school. I worked part time as a RA for part of my last undergrad year and it was freakin' hard to balance it all. I am in awe of those who can juggle it all.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 20 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #35

Big Fat Bitch

I'm sorry, but outside of bluberries, food should not be blue. Blue is the colour of things gone bad. And possibly fuzzy.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 20 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #36

laugh my ass off, take a look at this fantastically hillarious sorbet recipe. i'm doing this with the kids for sure!

http://www.himonkey.net/cooking/sias/index.html

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 20 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #37

(o)(o)

I love blue food!

I'm a huge fan of blueberries, I eat them year round, although the frozen berries aren't nearly as good as fresh berries. Bonus, when using protein powders, i mis em up with yoghurt, milk, and blue berries and you can't taste the protein!

Also great to toss in some rasberries! Ooooh, I have fresh raspberries today for lunch! Yummers!

Pixie, when I was doing my undergraduate degree, I was working two jobs and going to school full time. How I managed to pull of the best marks of my university career, I'm not too sure.

I hope that things go as well for my Masters degree. I'm applying for grants and so forth once I start my thesis.

I really want to go pick up some home made chocolates for xmas. I'm in the mood to bake, while I can usualy have one piece, I like to share all around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Nov 20 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #38

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

Oh Gawd! Those Bon Bon look fantastic! I don't even mind the blue...which I never really thought about before, but I guess blue food is a little wrong. Blueberries are really purple afterall.

I hear ya Pepper on the Mommy career. I wish I had been able to stay on my maternity leave a little longer, but as you say, the $$ is crap. But it is really nice to come home at night and see his sweet little face light up! He saves his best smiles for mommy!

Ch...working full time and taking classes is killer isn't it? I am so glad that most classes are being offered online these days.

Speaking of verly sweet decadent deserts...does anyone have a good Baklava recipe? Despite being 1/2 greek Dh has never tried it. I must rectify that!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 20 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #39

go ahead . . . push the button!

sea salt caramels are the best! the chocolatier in town makes those and oh, my are they deeeeevine!

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 20 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #40

oh lilac, thank you for the recipe but i wanted the one for coffee cake, all those poppyseeds get stuck in my teeth!

blue food is so wrong but chocolate isn't exactly food is it? more like therapy.
blueberries aren't blue yo, just get some on your shirt and you'll see just what colour they are! (thanks kids).

hey, this thread is transmogrifying into a girly chat thread, i love it! i have no studies or career to speak of at the moment, i can't even imagine picking my uni courses back up right now! and going back into finance is way off in the distant future. at present i can talk cats, food, kids, arts and crafts and housey stuff. can't say i mind though, so far i like the job title 'mommy'better than any other i've ever had. the pay is lousy (CND mat leave is about 60% of reg pay) but the perks are so gratifying (like a lap full of snuggly sleepy baby right now)wub.gif.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21, 2014 - 12:19 AM