The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

36 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busty Mom's of not so wee ones
pepper
post Sep 5 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #61

aww, so cute! i forgot to take pictures. boo!

hey freckle, i used to get really bad cramps and i had a prescription for anaprox that took the pain right away. that is just a brand name, it's also called ponstan, naproxen etc. ask your doc for a 'script if frecklette is really in pain. it worked very well for me and i used to get throwing-up-passing-out level cramps, ouch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 5 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #62

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks freckle, i think she is pretty sweet!
here she is, ready to go...

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 4 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #63

beachcomber

awwwww, what a sweet sugar christine!
isn't it funny how sometimes we freak out & the kids step up to parent Us?
sounds as if you are raising a rockin' smart girl there already c- woot!

I hope she's having a fabulous 1st day- how exciting!!

poor frecklette was feeling bad w/ girl stuff this morning & I tried to get her to take a motrin (bc she's a bear sometimes... cool.gif ) but in her refusal, she offered up this justification: "Mom, I'm supposed to run in gym today. if I tell him I don't feel good, maybe he'll let me sign out of class & go the library. if I take something, I won't be telling the truth."
-- she had me there! you could see in her face how bad she felt, and I hated that she was willing to suffer but at the same time admired her honesty logic.
now when she gets home today & gets all sybil you damn well better bet she'll take a motrin if I have to pin her down & pry her jaws open ( a real possibility) bc Mama don't play that game. dry.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 4 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #64

pfft! it's so funny when we're all worried and they are all like "can i go now?" ha ha.

last weekend we went to the local fair and the little man wanted to ride a pretty fast spinny ride. now this is the boy who rode the baby rollercoaster last year, you know the one that looks like a dragon and goes slowly over a few little bumps? anyhow, he cried so hard the dude Stopped the ride to let. him. off! sheesh.
so his friend has been telling him about this other spinny ride all year and he was totally psyched about it and i was like "oh, here we go..." i'm standing outside (it's a closed ride so i couldn't even see him) worried like CRAZY the whole time and he comes running out of the thing and JuMpS up and down shouting "Again! Again! Again!" until i gave him more tickets to ride a second time. what was my problem eh?
though he is still terrified of that dragon coaster i gotta say...

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Sep 4 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #65

Hardcore BUSTie

first day of kindergarten was almost a disaster.

Last night the kiddo was running a bit of a temperature, and said she felt like she was getting a cold. No prob, gave her some childrens advil, and got her to bed in time. Checked on her before I went to bed, and she seemed cool again.
She woke several times in the night feverish, and woke up early. She still really wanted to go to school, so I said she could go and then we would pick her up instead of going to daycare for the rest of the day. So we got ready to go and then realized she HAD NO SHOES! Indoor shoes we left at daycare, and outdoor shoes got left at Nana's when we carried her to the car. Ran around wondering what to do, and just KNOWING this would prove that we are inept parents who forget their kid needs shoes for school. Luckily, the kiddo reminded us that she could wear her sandals. Duh.

She felt better by the time we left, and went off happily to school. She gave me extra kisses and hugs, I think to make me feel better, before saying "can I go play now?".

*sigh*

I can't wait to get home and ask her how her day went!

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 28 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #66

beachcomber

pepper: ohmygosh I LUV your kids!
beautiful + funny = adorable!!!!!

and christine: yup, humiliating is the word.
poor freck is the only one who chooses to wear longer sweats (it's cold in the gym) & is probably the slowest runner of the group, + she's more developed than most too, so she's really on her own in there & is just miserable.
I ordered online a very pricey (but hopefully worth it) sports bra that is guarnteed not to bounce or our money back so I'm hoping that makes a dramatic difference in her self confidence to ignore and press on.
I think she has 3 more weeks of pe before they switch to health for a month & then back & forth for the semester before she has something else entirely the 2nd half of the year. could be rough going to get there though. sad.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Aug 28 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #67

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper, what beautiful babes! i'm such a sucker for kids making faces.

on the subject of phonetic reading, i was blown away when introduced to that whole concept. i remember like it was yesterday crying because my dad was trying to make me sound out the words (likely age 5 or 6) and i didn't know how. with the kiddo, we taught her the alphabet phonetically, and damned if she didn't start sounding the words out by herself! she recognizes some words by memory, which is fine. i'm all for letting the kid do whatever works for her. it's silly for schools to expect 1 learning mode to work for every kid, and shove it down their throat if they don't get it right away.

frekle, i would have DIED if i had to do that in grade 9. i wonder why they didn't remove the other kids from the bleachers, why would they be allowed to sit and watch? how humiliating.

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Aug 28 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #68

Nice Kitty

Holy bejebus...what cutie pootie pies!!!!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 27 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #69

hey, check out this hilarious picture of my kids being their face pulling selves. seriously, can they get any funnier?

ok, here's the girl with her usual face. she isn't often grouchy.

+Quote Post
damona
post Aug 27 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #70

can i go to bed now?

poor frecklette, that sucks. ((((freck jr))))

yeah, i so do not agree with the whole-word reading program.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 27 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #71

beachcomber

they were just starting that crap when frecklette was in 3rd or 4th grade, but by then she already knew how to read well above her grade level; still, there were a few instances where we encountered it and the mr & I were like " no no no you do NOT say it like it looks, you use your vowels & the rules and do it right"

stupidity.

I think I am going to teach frecklette how to meditate as a tool to handle high school stress;
in pe, she & the other girls had to run & do a fitness assesment test, in front of the boys, and there was a whole group of upper classmen watching in the bleachers too, making rude comments the whole time.
frecklette was Really upset and cried after school and I didn't know how to comfort her bc what can you do?
I can't call Sexism bc after the girls they did the same thing to the boys while they girl's watched, but it's not the same & everyone knows it.

what bullshit. mad.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 27 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #72

no No NO!! it's called phonics and it WORKS dammnit! that stupid whole word reading is so ridiculous. gah!

+Quote Post
damona
post Aug 27 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #73

can i go to bed now?

omg, danny is a junior????!!! wow. it blows my mind that dai is gonna be 10... that just scrambles my brain tho! i've been posting here for 8 years... just, wow.

and freck is a freshman??!! too crazy, y'all...

freck and danny... *giggles* busty kiddos meet and fall in love... how cool could that be?

boy/girl sleepovers... we had those when i was in high school, but i was never allowed to go to them. (yeah, worked so well to keep me away from the boys... laugh.gif )

just to be clear... it's not the school that is complaining about his lack of reading... yet. or, really, me. it's the way they teach reading here. they are doing this stupid whole-word, sight-reading thing, where the kid is just supposed to memorize what the word looks like so they "see" it and "know" it, rather than learning to sound it out so that they can read other words, later on. not to mention, it does nothing for their spelling. so that is why i wanted to pull him out and why i am glad that he will be getting some 1-on-1 tutoring, b/c the lady that will be tutoring him will be using the phonetic approach.

ok, i have to get off my soapbox and get the crew ready for open house. yay! i get to meet teachers! little z's first grade teacher is a teacher who was there 21 years ago, when i went to first grade at that school and my mom taught there. and she and my mom didn't get along. this should be interesting...

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 27 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #74

beachcomber

"... I envision him w/ a shotgun on the porch, lying in wait for some hapless local would-be romeo..."

imagine if your mr were a certified crack-shot, trained by the gov't?
my plan is for frecklette actually to date Privates in the Army believe it or not (when she starts dating, not yet), young, easily intimidated.. the mr is of such a rank now that I seriously think it could work.
they wouldn't DARE lay a finger on her for fear of her father, and no weaponry would even be needed.

glad your girl is off to such a good start syb;
frecklette just got home & is in a mood.. cannot figure out the timing to get to her locker as it's not close to any of her classes, has had to eat Meat bc the lines for the other stuff are too long right now.. she'l work it out, but my heart hurts for her all the same.

(((((mama's & kids)))))))

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 27 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #75

it's cards on the table time

Hello all... *delurks* Joining in the back to school fun. My mister's daughter lives with us during the school year, and today was her first day back. She seems happy and relaxed this evening and said it went well, although she too said it was 'boring.' Which is better than 'crap' or nothing at all, I figure. She's the equivalent to a freshman age-wise but started there last year.

I think she's set for a good year: she's made new friends there and we drilled some study habits into her last year. I am slightly paranoid on the off-off-off chance she somehow knows I post here (can't see how, I am careful, but she's smart on the internets) so we'll leave it at that for now. wink.gif

Pepper, the book sounds great and just the ticket. Thanks, I'll look it up!

Mando, I too can't believe D is a high school junior... and I'll keep the concept of boy-girl sleepovers well away from my mister, in case he begins to froth at the mouth. I envisage him with a shotgun on the porch, lying in wait for some hapless would-be local romeo until she's about 25 or so...

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 27 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #76

beachcomber

= they do Boy/Girl SLEEPOVERS now ?!?!?!!! =

no no no no NO! unsure.gif
that was Way too much information!
I'm still reeling from frecklette telling me that the buses are so over crowded that they sometimes aren't able to pick up all the kids on the first pass and so some have to wait & they come back for them.
I guess it's sorta o k if it's after school & the kids wait there at the school, but in the morning, out there alone?
it's only the 3rd day of school though and maybe things will work out better with a little time.
frecklette already informed me that she's not going to let me know bc she can handle it, which I do not doubt, but still, Insist on knowing anyway. crazi that I want to know generally speaking, where she is.

and it just isn't possible that Danny, OUR DANNY, is in 11th Grade?!
is he driving yet? have a moustache? (hee!) holy moly just nope nope nope!
but I'm w/ ya on the nudge wink.. they'll have a lovely future... wink.gif biggrin.gif
(you've been missed here ms mando, so hope you stick around a bit more)

pepper: I think that book sounds great & I will have to check it out for her - thank you.
don't sweat the schedule, it'll come fast enough once they are in school.
frecklette has been SO tired sinse it started, she's put herself to sleep (w/out me fussing or stopping her from reading all night) at 9 each night- virtually unheard of. then again, she also gets up about 5:30 Am BY CHOICE so she can have internet time at a website for young writers too. she needs that quiet early morning time to gather herself for the day I think, so I let her have it & spare myself a lot of agrivation.

anyway- yes, the schedule will come & they have the whole school year to get up earlier, why rush that?

damona: yah for all 3 kidlets in school!
what are you going to do with all-that-time?!!
school supplies, whatever. isn't that what our tax dollars go for? I'm always kinda flummoxed at the ever growing list of 'additional supplies' the teachers ask for each year. and to have that x's 3? that's a lot of $ !
I'd hit the dollar store when you can and don't let it worry you.

congrats on the king of the garden- he's closer to right than he realises. laugh.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Aug 27 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #77

Hardcore BUSTie

*delurks*

omg, little ms frecklette sounds so grownup now! and danny's a vegetarian too. *wink wink nudge nudge*

and damona, there's NO WAY your firstborn is ten! seems like yesterday he was a toddler!

my baby's starting 11th grade next week.
and he had his first boy-girl sleepover party last weekend. blink.gif
he's like a man now.
the.mind.reels.gah.

*relurks*

--------------------
"... what i want is what i've not got
and what i need is all around me."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 27 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #78

she's a veggie now? why am i not surprised, she's such an animal lover!
there's a great book that i like to give the teenaged friends of my kids, it's called The Teenage Liberation Handbook. you might like to check it out freckle, it has some interesting ideas. there is a lot of independant thinking promoted in it that i think is awesome for stimulating ideas and giving kids that age a sense of their power even if they never do any of the things in the book. it just shows some great possibilities and changes perspective i think. it may not be something you want her to read but you might love it. i do!

only a few more days to go until school starts, wow! i'm not hardly ready. we're still all sleeping in until 8!

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 27 2008, 06:48 AM
Post #79

beachcomber

ditto about what the school says about the reading.

when frecklette was in 1st grade they told us she had problems and was behind, got us all worked up about it and scared she was going to be in special ed (which was ok too) and so she went to this special in-school one on one program they had for a few weeks and about a month into it it was eval time & we went in, all full of trepidation and worry, only to learn that she had already read ALL the books in the program (w/ several weeks left to go in it yet) and the resource teacher was at a loss as to why she was there at all when she was one of the stronger readers of Any of the kids she'd ever seen.
- go figure.
kids brains connect in the areas that is right for them as it happens. some progress in math first, some language arts, they are all little individuals and cannot rush them just so they fit into certain boxes.
that's probably my biggest beef w/ public education. I so should have home schooled frecklettte.

speaking of.. high school seems to be good so far!
she came home the first day & announced " it's Boring." which had me pretty stunned, but that's a teenager for you. she's liking having the freedom to eat lunch w/ her friends & sit wherever they want, and more choices of food (sinse she's a vegetarian now- crap- did she get lunch money today?) and her classes seem to be ok so far.

they grow up so fast. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 27 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #80

whateve's, this little man was behind his whole class in reading until mid-way through first grade. he had a special tutor and everything (blah blah blah). by the end of the year he got an award for reading the most books of everyone in the Whole school! just goes to show, they take their own time and do things when it's right for them. i so don't pay any attention to the schedule the school tries to impose on kids. they are all individual people so fooey on those schedules anyhow!

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21, 2014 - 04:12 PM