The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 97 98 99 100 101 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
fustrated
post Mar 6 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #1961

Hi -- I am new to this. I have been dealing with BV since November and I am currently taking Femanol. Has anyone tried Femanol and if so what were your results? I have been reading on this site that Fem-dophilus and Flagyl is something to keep in mind. My question is where do you get Flagyl? Is that something you have to call your doctor for? I am glad that I am not the only person going through this. IT SUCKS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whateverfitsyou
post Mar 6 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #1962

BUSTie

Hey, Quick question....How quick does BA works?

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 6 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1963

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Mar 6 2008, 05:52 AM) *
TEA TREE OIL -- where do you buy this stuff??? I don't plan to use it for BV, however I have this neverending fungal infection between the webs of my fingers (GROSS, right?? and really, if it's not one thing, it's another!!!) and I've been reading that TTO can be a cure for fungal infections of the skin. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really hard not to be able to use my hands properly!! smile.gif

Whole Foods (definitely), Trader Joe's (I think), and health/vitamin stores like Vitamin Shoppe.

Good luck. I think the TTO might sting a lot, in your case - if the skin is broken. So be careful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Mar 6 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #1964

BUSTie

TEA TREE OIL -- where do you buy this stuff??? I don't plan to use it for BV, however I have this neverending fungal infection between the webs of my fingers (GROSS, right?? and really, if it's not one thing, it's another!!!) and I've been reading that TTO can be a cure for fungal infections of the skin. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's really hard not to be able to use my hands properly!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 6 2008, 01:02 AM
Post #1965

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 5 2008, 11:04 PM) *
Alright, I got it. Thanks for the info. I will get the Femdophilus. But is it a cure by itself or should it be taken along with Flagyl? I'm new to all of this, just trying to figure things out.

No problem. Take fem-dophilus along with flagyl. The instructions tell you exactly what to do - but the basics are - take 2/day while taking the antibiotics, then 1/day for maintenance. But take them a few hours apart from the antibiotics, so they don't mix in your stomach at the same time.

As far as whether it's a cure ... I don't think they are allowed to say any OTC remedy is a cure (per the FDA). And I don't think that it is. It's meant to be used as a preventative.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 6 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #1966

QUOTE(lori @ Mar 6 2008, 01:46 AM) *
Hi Sassy! I took a course of flagyl, and began taking the Fem-dophilus as I was taking the flagyl. BV never came back (as it has before, many times). I took 2/day for a while, then 1/day.
Hey Jewels! Missed you too!

I have to say though - I think it's just plain wrong to say that there is no cure. Flagyl cures BV. It just sets the stage for recurrence (by also killing off all the good bacteria with the bad). There is a difference between recurrence and relapse.

Anyway, I just want to address a few questions without quoting everyone individually. I hope this answers everything:

- Fem-dophilus is sold at Whole Foods in the probiotics section. (They keep all their probiotics refrigerated.)

- I think Cipro is prescribed for some vaginal problems (such as DIV, mycoplasma, ureaplasma, etc.) Ask your doctor.

- Thanks for putting up the Dr. Reid lecture. Awesome! I'll add it to my blog later. I would like to point out that women put Fem-dophilus in their vaginas as part of a clinical trial. Basically they're human guinea pigs, and also under doctors' care, in case anything goes wrong. And Dr. Reid made clear that this is not FDA approved use of his product. The reason I'm so anti- about putting this in your vagina is because I dropped by this thread a couple of months ago, and some ladies have obviously tried it, and have had bad results with weird stuff coming out of their vaginas afterwards. So ... I wouldn't do it. As always, it's your choice. But at the very least, see first if it works for you if you just take it orally.

I certainly hope that Dr. Reid is working on a vaginal product, though. Something like Monistat - a cream or suppository, that's safe to use. That would be awesome.

- I also want to point out - boric acid, TTO, peroxide etc. - I think it's been firmly determined that these remedies are not a cure. At best they just mask the symptoms. It's like using mouthwash, when your bad breath is caused by a health problem. It will freshen you up for a little while, but the problem won't go away. Also, I think the use of these products also inhibit the growth of the good bacteria, so you're not letting your vagina find the right balance.

I suffered with BV for over 7 years. Trust me, I know how awful it can be. And I know how it feels to be desperate to just get rid of it. I know what it's like to be afraid to have sex, afraid to uncross my legs, and sticking all sorts of things in my vagina just hoping and praying it would work this time. I even know how doctors can be such uncaring assholes who just don't fucking listen.

I'm so happy that that is finally behind me. I'm still paranoid that it will happen again, but I've been feeling good for about a year now. A healthy vagina shouldn't start stinking after normal activity - which includes unprotected sex with a healthy man, and getting your period. I know all about pH levels and stuff - and I used to dread sex and getting periods. But now I finally feel normal again. Just because you've been exposed to low pH for a while shouldn't mean it will mess you up right away.

So you guys need to let your vagina find the balance. Let it grow the good bacteria so it can fight off the bad stuff. That's the only answer. Fem-dophilus, people. Read this entire thread, and you'll see, it's the one thing that's really worked for anyone. I have tried so hard to not sound like a shill - because I freaking hate it when people trumpet cure-alls when they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Also, I think all this boric acid and tea tree oil you guys are shoving up your coochies are not helping you in the long run. I understand that you guys are sick of the stinkiness - but this is about your health, not just about deodorizing your vagina. If your vagina is healthy, it won't smell nasty. So focus on the health.

- Oh yeah, I think someone already answered this question - but Culturelle is to help you poop. Like Activia yogurt. Won't help out your BV situation.

Alright, I got it. Thanks for the info. I will get the Femdophilus. But is it a cure by itself or should it be taken along with Flagyl? I'm new to all of this, just trying to figure things out.

+Quote Post
lisabon
post Mar 6 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #1967

Hi all, I'm sorta new-ish

About this BV from hell... I went to two Gynos and they both told me different things. Once said it was a slight yeast infection and gave me a prescription and then the other said it was BV and gave me a prescription. FYI... neither prescription worked so, I'm at a loss.(I didn't take them at the same time. They were taken months apart). Anyways, my discharge is on the slimy side. It sorta feels like snots (sorry to be so disgusting). The color is sometimes clear and sometimes white. It also makes me itch down there which I know is more of a yeast infection symptom. And the smell isn't awfully bad, but there is a stench none the less.

BV? Yeast infection? Anyone got any ideas?

Oh and I read that post about the B6? Since I'm desperate and all, I went out and boutht a bottle. It's been two days and can't say I've seen any changes. I'll continue taking them to see if a change occur though. *crosses fingers*

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 6 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #1968

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sassy @ Mar 3 2008, 03:50 AM) *
Lori: Welcome back! That's great to hear! How long were you taking the Femdophilus before you saw any difference in your BV...just curious.

Hi Sassy! I took a course of flagyl, and began taking the Fem-dophilus as I was taking the flagyl. BV never came back (as it has before, many times). I took 2/day for a while, then 1/day.

QUOTE(jewelscando @ Mar 3 2008, 09:43 PM) *
LORI!!!!!!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING!!!! WELCOME BACK HUN!!! I'VE MISSED YOU!!!!

So happy to hear that the Fem-dophilus worked for you!!! Congrats hun!! We will just agree to disagree on this topic. Because as we both know, what's worked for you, may not work for me and vice versa. I haven't tried the Fem yet, only because the Tea Tree Oil Suppossitories took mine away as well. I use them after sex, only because I'm afraid not too!! lol, not because I have too. So, for all I know, this was my cure too, but who knows.

Great to have you back Lori!!!

Hey Jewels! Missed you too!

I have to say though - I think it's just plain wrong to say that there is no cure. Flagyl cures BV. It just sets the stage for recurrence (by also killing off all the good bacteria with the bad). There is a difference between recurrence and relapse.

Anyway, I just want to address a few questions without quoting everyone individually. I hope this answers everything:

- Fem-dophilus is sold at Whole Foods in the probiotics section. (They keep all their probiotics refrigerated.)

- I think Cipro is prescribed for some vaginal problems (such as DIV, mycoplasma, ureaplasma, etc.) Ask your doctor.

- Thanks for putting up the Dr. Reid lecture. Awesome! I'll add it to my blog later. I would like to point out that women put Fem-dophilus in their vaginas as part of a clinical trial. Basically they're human guinea pigs, and also under doctors' care, in case anything goes wrong. And Dr. Reid made clear that this is not FDA approved use of his product. The reason I'm so anti- about putting this in your vagina is because I dropped by this thread a couple of months ago, and some ladies have obviously tried it, and have had bad results with weird stuff coming out of their vaginas afterwards. So ... I wouldn't do it. As always, it's your choice. But at the very least, see first if it works for you if you just take it orally.

I certainly hope that Dr. Reid is working on a vaginal product, though. Something like Monistat - a cream or suppository, that's safe to use. That would be awesome.

- I also want to point out - boric acid, TTO, peroxide etc. - I think it's been firmly determined that these remedies are not a cure. At best they just mask the symptoms. It's like using mouthwash, when your bad breath is caused by a health problem. It will freshen you up for a little while, but the problem won't go away. Also, I think the use of these products also inhibit the growth of the good bacteria, so you're not letting your vagina find the right balance.

I suffered with BV for over 7 years. Trust me, I know how awful it can be. And I know how it feels to be desperate to just get rid of it. I know what it's like to be afraid to have sex, afraid to uncross my legs, and sticking all sorts of things in my vagina just hoping and praying it would work this time. I even know how doctors can be such uncaring assholes who just don't fucking listen.

I'm so happy that that is finally behind me. I'm still paranoid that it will happen again, but I've been feeling good for about a year now. A healthy vagina shouldn't start stinking after normal activity - which includes unprotected sex with a healthy man, and getting your period. I know all about pH levels and stuff - and I used to dread sex and getting periods. But now I finally feel normal again. Just because you've been exposed to low pH for a while shouldn't mean it will mess you up right away.

So you guys need to let your vagina find the balance. Let it grow the good bacteria so it can fight off the bad stuff. That's the only answer. Fem-dophilus, people. Read this entire thread, and you'll see, it's the one thing that's really worked for anyone. I have tried so hard to not sound like a shill - because I freaking hate it when people trumpet cure-alls when they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Also, I think all this boric acid and tea tree oil you guys are shoving up your coochies are not helping you in the long run. I understand that you guys are sick of the stinkiness - but this is about your health, not just about deodorizing your vagina. If your vagina is healthy, it won't smell nasty. So focus on the health.

- Oh yeah, I think someone already answered this question - but Culturelle is to help you poop. Like Activia yogurt. Won't help out your BV situation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 5 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #1969

QUOTE(jewelscando @ Mar 6 2008, 12:29 AM) *
Well... anything is possible, but don't use another one. I think the first one would have been good enough. It takes some time to disolve, so what you are seeing is the gel cap coming back out. But it usually looks like grimmy white stuff, sordof. lol. If you feel some burning, use some monistat on the outside of you, which will take it away. And it should be gone by tomorrow.

But, back to what I said, give the TTO time to work. Don't use another suppossitory for a few days. Wait and see what happens. I only use one 00 cap. And only need to fill it half way.

Good luck!! I hope it works for you!!! It's worked for me!

Thanks for the reply! Well, I'm not feeling burning, so maybe it's not yeast... I'm gonna wait a little bit and see what happens. It seems weird that it would give me a YI since TTO is usually a remedy for YI's. It kinda did look like grimy white stuff. I hope it was the gel cap! Did you see results right away or did it take a few days for you to notice a difference?

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 5 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #1970

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mg86 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:07 PM) *
Hi all - Ah, well I see the discussion is about FemDoph now...making me want to buy another bottle! smile.gif I took 2 pills daily for about 2 weeks, but didn't notice any difference. I am thinking that was not enough time and I should probably try it for longer. Do you think taking only ONE pill a day is enough? Because the bottle sure does empty quickly when taking two a day.

Also regarding Boric Acid, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Which area is it in? I have looked at Wal Mart and CVS but no luck. And does any health food store carry the 00 capsules? It would be sooo much easier to order online but the shipping is a pain.

Does anyone else have a feeling that they have to go pee when they really don't? It usually happens while I am on my period, but I've been feeling it a lot these past few weeks. No pain or burning during urination like a UTI. Also, I don't see much talk about itching on this thread, but that is one my major symptoms. And the smell, I'm not even sure how to describe it...SIGH!!

I am feeling so discouraged about this....

Hope you all are doing well!!

I found the boric Acid near the Peroxide. It's was on the bottom shelf. Looks like a big Vitamin bottle.

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 5 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #1971

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 6 2008, 04:08 AM) *
Hello... I'm new.

Question about the tea tree oil suppositories. I made my own out of 00 gel caps and put them in last night and the night before last. Now I have things coming out of me that are making me think I might have given myself a yeast infection! ACK. I've never had one before but from what I've heard, it seems to be one. Or is this a normal reaction to the tea tree oil?

Well... anything is possible, but don't use another one. I think the first one would have been good enough. It takes some time to disolve, so what you are seeing is the gel cap coming back out. But it usually looks like grimmy white stuff, sordof. lol. If you feel some burning, use some monistat on the outside of you, which will take it away. And it should be gone by tomorrow.

But, back to what I said, give the TTO time to work. Don't use another suppossitory for a few days. Wait and see what happens. I only use one 00 cap. And only need to fill it half way.

Good luck!! I hope it works for you!!! It's worked for me!

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 5 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #1972

Hello... I'm new.

Question about the tea tree oil suppositories. I made my own out of 00 gel caps and put them in last night and the night before last. Now I have things coming out of me that are making me think I might have given myself a yeast infection! ACK. I've never had one before but from what I've heard, it seems to be one. Or is this a normal reaction to the tea tree oil?

+Quote Post
whateverfitsyou
post Mar 5 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #1973

BUSTie

hey I've been doing the peroxide douching....so far so good! but I was wondering does the smell comes back during sex even after using the peroxide douches?....

+Quote Post
sciongal
post Mar 5 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #1974

BUSTie

Hi all,
I just wanted to let you all know about a product I just started using. As you know for us gals that are dealing with BV, wearing thongs is not such a good idea, and some clothes just dont look good with granny panties on...so check out commandos patches. They are cotton patches that you put on the inside of your jeans or pants, so no lines. they have worked great for me with no irritation at all. Just thought I would pass it along...be well

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Mar 5 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #1975

BUSTie

QUOTE(JJ27 @ Mar 5 2008, 10:00 AM) *
I'm not a newbie anymore!!!!!! tongue.gif I haven't received my Fem D yet but the other probiotic I was taking said 3 x a day. I feel it's best to follow what it says on the bottle and from what I'm reading most of you had luck with Fem D. I can't wait to get mine. Does anyone know about Culterelle? Would that be the same as Fem D? I need to compare them.

MG86-The feeling of having to pee could be a start of UTI or something. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice not cocktail. It always worked for me when I would feel that sensation. Yeah I'm also having a hard time finding the BA in capsule. I would totally try that too. I want to be done with this and feel normal down there!!!

The strains of lactobacili in Femdophilus are not the same as in Culturelle. Gregor Reid is one of the patent holders for these very specific, patented strains.

One thing that helped me when I had bladder problems was marshmallow root tea. It is available in many health-food stores.

If you have a compounding pharmacy in your area, a doctor or nurse-practitioner can prescribe boric acid capsules for you. The compounding pharmacist makes them up. Mine added a little powdered acidophilus for good measure. They worked great! wink.gif

Cheers,
Maggie

+Quote Post
RN with BV
post Mar 5 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #1976

BUSTie

QUOTE(JJ27 @ Mar 5 2008, 10:00 AM) *
Good Morning,

I'm not a newbie anymore!!!!!! tongue.gif I haven't received my Fem D yet but the other probiotic I was taking said 3 x a day. I feel it's best to follow what it says on the bottle and from what I'm reading most of you had luck with Fem D. I can't wait to get mine. Does anyone know about Culterelle? Would that be the same as Fem D? I need to compare them.

MG86-The feeling of having to pee could be a start of UTI or something. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice not cocktail. It always worked for me when I would feel that sensation. Yeah I'm also having a hard time finding the BA in capsule. I would totally try that too. I want to be done with this and feel normal down there!!!

Not sure why but my BV doesn't have an odor blink.gif I just have a slight burning sensation and sometimes feel pinchy in there. I know when I have it cause sorry but I'm going to be blunt here...as I'm peeing I have a pussy fart. ohmy.gif

It totally sucks cause I don't want to have sex anymore and it's ruining my relationship of four yrs!! I'm going to try a major precautionary system this time and see if it works. What do you guys think...take the clindesse, them use the Fem D, (orally right not internally right?), no sex for two weeks, and use a condom? I'm I being too anal??????? wacko.gif

I don't think you are being too anal. I had to quit having sex and then for several months hubby had to use a condom, he still doesn't "finish" inside of me because the ph of sperm is base ,your vagina should be more acid so just to get symptoms under control for me that is what we had to do

plus we went through several rounds of antibiotics and then I have stayed on the fem dolph and ultimate flora for over a year plus the folic acid, b complex peroxide douches and now the yeast arrest (i think maybe the yeast arrest is working a bit better than the peroxide douche but what comes out is really gross because of the herbs in it so I am going to try the plain boric acid next)

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 5 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #1977

BUSTie

Good Morning,

Not sure why but my BV doesn't have an odor blink.gif I just have a slight burning sensation and sometimes feel pinchy in there. I know when I have it cause sorry but I'm going to be blunt here...as I'm peeing I have a pussy fart. ohmy.gif

It totally sucks cause I don't want to have sex anymore and it's ruining my relationship of four yrs!! I'm going to try a major precautionary system this time and see if it works. What do you guys think...take the clindesse, them use the Fem D, (orally right not internally right?), no sex for two weeks, and use a condom? I'm I being too anal??????? wacko.gif

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 5 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #1978

BUSTie

Thanks quietmadness! tongue.gif I'll work on this over the weekend. FYI-never heard of avatar... huh.gif

QUOTE(quietmadness @ Mar 4 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Hey JJ27, blink.gif it's been such a long time...hmmm..

Ok. First you have to reduce whatever pic you want to put there in your computer to avatar size. Go to: www.shrinkpictures.com to do this. Once you've got one picked out, click up there on "my controls," then click on "avatar settings," and go from there.

HTH,
--Quiet--

+Quote Post
mg86
post Mar 5 2008, 07:50 AM
Post #1979

BUSTie

Hi all - Ah, well I see the discussion is about FemDoph now...making me want to buy another bottle! smile.gif I took 2 pills daily for about 2 weeks, but didn't notice any difference. I am thinking that was not enough time and I should probably try it for longer. Do you think taking only ONE pill a day is enough? Because the bottle sure does empty quickly when taking two a day.

Also regarding Boric Acid, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Which area is it in? I have looked at Wal Mart and CVS but no luck. And does any health food store carry the 00 capsules? It would be sooo much easier to order online but the shipping is a pain.

Does anyone else have a feeling that they have to go pee when they really don't? It usually happens while I am on my period, but I've been feeling it a lot these past few weeks. No pain or burning during urination like a UTI. Also, I don't see much talk about itching on this thread, but that is one my major symptoms. And the smell, I'm not even sure how to describe it...SIGH!!

I am feeling so discouraged about this....

Hope you all are doing well!!

+Quote Post
RN with BV
post Mar 5 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #1980

BUSTie

stressed..... I think it helps repopulate the vaginal tract with good bacteria and is worth taking (especially ANYTIME you are on antibiotics) I don't know that I saw a difference in symptoms. The peroxide douches or (so far) the yeast arrest seem to be working at CONTROLLING the BV. For me it controls it as well as all the antibiotics I was on before and cheaper and no going into the MD. I also take folic acid and a B complex everday (same theory..... it is cheap easy good for you anyway) I have gone through pretty much everything I have heard of my GYN was the first to suggest Boric acid and said that his patients have had some degree of success. However he stressed to me at this time if it is truley chronic .....the medical world does not have a sure fire way to cure it.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 97 98 99 100 101 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 09:59 AM