The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the brand-new Hopeful in Houston thread? (or TX also)
Sillygrrl1313
post Jul 1 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #1

BUSTie

Hey Texas Busties-
I'll be in Dallas to visit a friend July 30 thru Aug. 1, with a day trip to Austin, probably Aug. 1. Anyone up for a Bustie get together? *crosses fingers*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Feb 25 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

(Double-posted in feminist outrage and pro-choice threads)

Exciting opportunity for all pro-choice Texas ladies:

Lobby Day 2009!

Join hundreds of Planned Parenthood supporters from across the state for Lobby Day on Thursday, March 12th.

This is your chance to meet with legislators to let them know how important preventive health care and education are for Texas women and their families. You will also have the opportunity to meet Cecile Richards, President and CEO of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Cecile will be spending the day with us!
Transportation, lunch and training will be provided for FREE!

Lobby Day Training in Austin, Texas
Thursday, March 5th, 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. OR 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. OR
Saturday, March 7th, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Planned Parenthood Administrative Office, 201 E. Ben White Blvd., Austin, TX

Do you plan to attend Lobby Day with hundreds of other Planned Parenthood supporters and Planned Parenthood national president, Cecile Richards? Then be sure to sign up for one of the mandatory trainings at the time that is most convenient for you. We will cover all you need to know to be prepared to talk to your elected officials about why preventative health care and education are important to you. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP to simone.nichols@ppaustin.org

For anyone interested in the San Antonio area please contact karina.gil@pptrust.org or by calling (210) 736-2244 ext. 320 for mandatory training information.

Lobby Day Training in Austin, Texas
Wednesday March 4th 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m.
OR
Tuesday, March 10th, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m.
Planned Parenthood Administrative Office, 104 Babcock Rd., San Antonio, TX

More information can be found here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ppaustin/lobby-day-2009-21607.htm.

This is an incredible opportunity to make your voice heard! Hope to see you all there!

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Sep 4 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Welcome Avaadore! Wow, you're the first BUSTee besides myself (that I know of) who also attended UTSA. I just started attending in June, and am living in the dorms. I am still undecided as to what i think of it. Before i started attending, I took a tour of the campus and liked it, and like their psychology and women's studies programs, but now that the school year is starting, I'm starting to feel like I don't fit in here and that maybe I made a mistake in coming here. However, I just had my first ACLU meeting and liked it, so there is hope! We are thinking of starting up a pro-choice organization here, too. But I am having a hard time finding people to fit in with.....I am curious, what was your experience at UTSA like? Academically, socially....adjusting has been harder than i thought.

Otherwise, the city is beautiful....I love the Riverwalk and plan to go there again and again. The weather is hot and muggy, but I'm used to it because I was raised in Texas and Tucson. BTW, Ava, I took your advice from way before and did try Amy's ice-cream....a few times! Great advice.

Edit: I just saw that this is my 100th post! *blows noisemaker* I would have had way more from years back, but my account was deleted a couple times! here's to the next 100!

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
avaadore
post Sep 4 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Hey, I'm kind of a Texas Bustie....I'm from Austin/New Braunfels but I'm currently living in Chicago for school. I did live in San Antonio for two years before I moved (while attending UTSA)

How's the summer treating everyone?

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Aug 31 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Um, just you and me, apparently!

Welcome! What part of Texas you live in? I'm in San Antonio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
WriterTypePerson
post Aug 27 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(olivarria @ Aug 6 2008, 12:09 AM) *
Where are all the TX Busties at? Come out of the woodworks!

I am here! Just joined up. Any others?

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Aug 6 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Where are all the TX Busties at? Come out of the woodworks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Mar 2 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi all. No one has posted in awhile, i hope you're all doing well. I am going to see Martha Wainwright and some other bands at Maggie Mae's and Club de Ville on March 12 and 13 and wondered if anyone else is going as well - these are SXSW dates but I'm paying for 1-day tickets/armbands for each of those days, not the whole festival which is like $500, way more than i can afford. Anybody wanna go along, let me know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sexysandee
post Feb 13 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello fellow Texas Busties.... anyone else from San Antonio?

--------------------

"This could be the very minute
I'm aware I'm alive
All these places feel like home"

+Quote Post
aquagirl3
post Dec 25 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi Olivia,
I'm in Houston...but this thread seems to be a dusty, forlorn place, doesn't it. Haven't ever visited San Antonio, sorry..
Meg

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Dec 22 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

has anyone here studied at the Women's Studies Institute at UT San Antonio? If so what did you think about it? I'm attending UTSA this summer.

Where are all the TX BUSTees anyway?

--------------------

+Quote Post
saucyantics
post Sep 22 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #12

Every first thursday of the month in Austin...CampCamp at Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse on South 1st. It is a great queer/everyone open mic night that starts around 8 or 9pm. Delightful veg food and lots of fun people!

+Quote Post
avaadore
post Aug 26 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

I just saw this and wanted to say hi! I was an Austin Bustie, but I am currently living in Chicago for a few years of school.

Olivia, you need to go to Amy's while it's still nice and hot. Fantastic ice cream! I recommend the mexican vanilla with strawberries.

+Quote Post
saucyantics
post Aug 7 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #14

Fellow Austin bustie...*bump*

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 13 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Up until the end of May, i lived in north texas, about 20 miles from Oklahoma, and my friend is going to grad school there. What part of OK do you live in?

--------------------

+Quote Post
LustfullyPink
post Jul 13 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm an Okie BUSTie, but I suppose that's close enough to Texas *smiles*

--------------------
Give me room to stand, and I will move the world.

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 13 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Double Post

--------------------

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 13 2007, 05:29 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi all, I'm a bit of a lurker, but I've been checking this thread occasionally and it seems to be dying--did all the BUSTees in TX vanish into thin air? Anyway i'm new to Austin and don't know anyone here and was wondering if anyone would be interested in a meet-up--it's a beautiful city, especially the downtwon area. if anyone's interested let me know. Thanx, Olive

--------------------

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Jun 20 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks txplumwine! Currently I'm torn between Asheville, NC and Austin:-) If I don't get any responses I'll take you up on your offer!

+Quote Post
txplumwine
post Jun 19 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Hiya October! I'm in Houston myself but have mild Austin experience. Let me provide what little information I can...

Austin has a great vibe, to me at least. Pretty easygoing and a lot of activism, community activity, etc. going on. I have yet to meet a native that wasn't a laid-back, relaxed sort.

As for the rents, I'm not certain what you can expect in the artsy neighborhoods. It's my understanding that the cost of living is similar to Houston - cheaper in some respects, pricier in others. For reference, you can expect to pay $550 on the low end here for a decent small flat in neighborhoods of varying safety.

This isn't much, I know, but I hope the Austin contingent will stop in and help you out as well. If they don't, let me know and I'll pan for resources!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21, 2014 - 01:05 AM