The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
bunnyb
post Mar 13 2009, 06:01 AM
Post #221

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Here's hoping she is out and not back [for a while]. However, in the event, that she does come back and continues to beat that horse until there's nothing left: THIRTIESGIRL, TAKE IT OUTSIDE. We can ignore you there without the thread being derailed. Although for the record -and castigate me for my opinion, I don't care- cellulite isn't a crime of fashion, it's purely and simply ugly.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Mar 13 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #222

new highs in personal lows daily!

seriously, thirties, there has got to be a statute of limitations on beating a dead horse.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Mar 13 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #223

Hardcore BUSTie

Thirtiesgirl, what's your stance on anti-short sentiment?

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Mar 12 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #224

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Okay so basically what you're saying Thirtiesgirl, is that I discriminated against that woman because of her size? And that I said her cellulite was disgusting?? Thank you for putting words in my mouth hun. If you look back:
How is my opinion of her tacky pants suit and choice of undergarments/shoes discriminatory? Yes I mentioned her cellulite. But I wouldn't have seen it if her bad outfit hadn't made it EASY for all to see. I never said cellulite or fat is disgusting. NEVER. It was never even about her SIZE either. Lots of people are taller and bigger than me. I wasn't singling her out for her size or weight. You just chastised Bunny B for "reading too much" into your comment. Then you turned around and did the exact same thing to my post. My disgust was in the outfit and the ugly shoes to match - not her physical attributes.

I have no problem with the fact that you didn't like the outfit your co-worker was wearing. What I take issue with is your attitude about cellulite, and that fact that it seemed, by the tone of your post, that you find it disgusting. Please explain to me how writing "might I add, lots of ass cellulite, and ugly white shoes. Blechhhh" is not expressing disgust for the woman's cellulite and the fact that you could see it through her pants?

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:05 PM) *
I could care less what size the woman was. I was merely painting a picture of her atrocious style for the day.
This has been blown way out of proportion frankly. If I was making an "anti-fat" sentiment - I'd essentially be speaking against my own fat azz. And personally, I'm not into self hatred. If the chick didn't want to be talked about, she shouldn't have worn that mess and thought it was appropriate for the office or anywhere else for that matter.

You may protest as much as you like, but you're not convincing me. The way you chose to express your feelings in your post suggests anti-fat sentiment to me.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that I stand up for what I believe in, but I'm a strong advocate for health at any size and fat acceptance. I was hoping, perhaps wrongly, that it would have a place here, on a forum that represents a magazine who's outlook and message I generally respect.

As I've stated before in this thread, I'm all for spirited commentary on things we see people wearing that we don't like. But I won't allow anti-fat sentiment to go without comment. I don't believe it has a place on this forum.

The thing I find most amusing (in a sick, sad way) is that after my initial comment to you, Konphusion, about your post (which was, simply put, "cellulite's ok"), AP preceded to read me the riot act for being "all 'fat acceptance, hooray!' & bully for you for it," and that I'm "coming from a hyper-sensitive fat place," and then accuses *me* of going over the top with my comments. You write that I'm "blowing things out of proportion." I've also been told I'm "fucking bitching about shit," when I have not yet once devolved into name calling or foul language and have tried to keep the debate civil. I would laugh if I wasn't so disappointed about the lack of understanding you and AP have shown.

I really was hoping for better and am disappointed that it's not here. I'm out and may not be back for a while.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Mar 10 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #225

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Well kittenb, at the time I thought I looked pretty rad... laugh.gif

I had quite a hat collection back then, I think I watched too much Blossom.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 9 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #226

Hardcore BUSTie

first it's raggin on fatties now mental patients?

yea for busties who call em like ya see em. I am so down

In the eighties I had a jeans jacket that I bleached and added rhinestones to. I totally rocked it with my swatch watch and it always smelled like Poison perfume because at the mall I would always douse the jacket with Poison.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Mar 9 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #227

(o)(o)

Well then, that adds yet another reason to the list of why I will never buy uggs. EVER.

I remember why I came in here initially.

I'm cleaning out the basement and the sheer number of blossom-esque hats I have is horrible. People always bought me hats and I didn't even wear them that often as a child. Blech.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Mar 9 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #228

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

QUOTE(lilacwine13 @ Mar 8 2009, 10:44 PM) *
I survived the eighties and nineties too and if I wanted to sear any retinas, I'd track down a scanner and post some pictures.

I recently found a picture of me in the sixth grade--around 1990--wearing a white sweatshirt with puff paint, neon teal windbreaker, acid washed jeans and, because I wanted to be unique, a hat covered with glitter, buttons and feathers. The hat didn't match the windbreaker or the shirt and if I remember correctly, I probably paired this with red and white striped tennis shoes.

And to think this was well before I did any sort of drugs...

If it makes you feel better, you might have caused other people to do drugs. To me, that outfit sounds rad. Like you should have been a character on a TGIF show.

My laundry day outfit always ends up being a skirt w/a totally mismatched teeshirt or sweatshirt. I look, like someone said below, like a mental patient.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 9 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #229

For those on crackbook: I have a photo of zoya in her WAG-like juicy couture you should check out.

I don't understand the PJs outside thing either - the matching pink patterned knitted ones, tucked into Uggs with oversized knitted cardigan and hat over them... I've seen many a photograph of Paris Hilton, Mischa Barton , Miley Cyrus and the like all dressed like that. Who told them it was good look? I'm all for comfort and loungewear but when you are lounging around the house, not out shopping.

CH, hand on heart - in Australia, Westerners are laughed at because they are wearing slippers on their feet thinking its a fashion statement.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Mar 9 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #230

(o)(o)

Bunny, really? $300.00 for a pair of fuckin' slippers? Are you kidding me? Wow...

zoya, you and me both, even when I'm feeling like death, and I have a horrible cold and I have to go out, I'll still put in an ounce of effort. It may not be a full face of makeup, but at least I'll comb my hair.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
zoya
post Mar 9 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #231

uh huh.

... yeah, and whoever told people that uggs look good with skirts should be taken outside and shot.

I have to say that the new uggs that are kinda knitted with buttons aren't quite as bad as the originals, but they're still not wearable with a damn thing.

COF - wearing juicy couture (or juicy couture-like) velour sweat suits out IN PUBLIC. Now, I have me nice midnight blue velour juicy couture sweatpants with matching hoodie that I splurged on last year. (bunnyb can attest to the fact that I look like a complete WAG in it) but I would NEVER wear it out in public to do my shopping, et al. I think it just looks sloppy. When did people start thinking it was ok to walk around in their jammies in public? Of course, you're talking to a girl who, even when she's dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, makes sure it coordinates and puts on make up before walking out the door if she's gonna be in public. Mamma taught me to DRESS.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 9 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #232

CH, Uggs actually ARE slippers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Mar 9 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #233

(o)(o)

Oh I love Doc Martens, but I should have went into more detail, I suppose it was the poser look more than anything.

And I've said it before, I'll say it again, UGGS are FUGGLY. Easily the worse shoes ever. seriously, they look like slippers.

Pleats are horrible!! Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be dragged outside and shot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zoya
post Mar 9 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #234

uh huh.

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Mar 8 2009, 09:04 PM) *
And Christ, the grunge era was awful. I'm so glad I avoided cameras because I wore some hideous shit. The layering! Still love flannel & Doc Martens, though.

The beginnings of "grunge" were totally functional, though. The "look" started in the Northwest where that's what people wore because it is cold and you have to layer to stay warm! Plus, at the time, the whole hair band / make up look was in, so going to thrift stores and finding old flannels and thermal tops that were comfy to wear was the total antithesis of the "Poison" look. It was kind of a "no look" look.

....of course, until Nirvana broke and the media made up the name "grunge" and fashion co-opted it, and then you have some kid in Florida wearing ripped jeans with thermals underneath, and layering their flannel tops. To me, that was a crime of fashion, not so much the "grunge" look in locations where it actually made sense. Hell, in the NW and Western States (ie: CO and UT) people still wear stuff that's kinda grunge-ish in the colder months.

Granted I suppose I can say that because I was kickin it with those bands so I came from the 'function' POV, plus they were so fucking poor that all they could afford to do was shop at thrift stores......

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Mar 9 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #235

Hardcore BUSTie

I was a *young adult* in the eighties, with pretensions. I still think my clothes were cool (delusion, yeah!) and I know I had at least two pairs of very hot shoes. But then when the nineties came I took the whole empire waist mini with blundstone boots a bit too far. Also, my hair has always been wrong: comical baby bangs which were always at least two inches shorter after being cut (it's curly! It retracted! why didn't the hair dresser anticipate this?) and coloured blue black against all nature and common sense (in my defense, it went gray too early).

But enough about me.

Last night I was watching a doc program, a series called "Who do you think you are?" in which some well known people in the entertainment industry go back and search out their geneological roots--it's fascinating, really. Chantal Kreviazuk was the featured participant, and I followed along with one nagging thought in my head--she was making this documentary program dressed in a message t-shirt that had been "weathered" to look like it was old; camouflage print cargo pants with great big binder sized side pockets that flapped--and the camo print was in shades of blue; and over everything, a navy blue "heather" acrylic sweater (so she co-ordinated the colours! this was not accidental) with a shawl collar and self belt, which she let hang while she wrapped the sweater around her tightly, as though she were a shivering waif. Also: she changed! And put on Uggs. To go up into the northern areas of Manitoba.

I thought: I love this story, but what the hell is she wearing? and when I voiced it, my husband looked at me and laughed hard. He said I often spend my days off dressed (his words) "like a mental patient". That's not nice--"mental patient" is not a kind way to think about those with emotional diseases.

My argument: it's my day off, I'm not leaving the house for anybody, and I'm comfy in my jammies, riding boots, and beret okay? But this woman not only went out in the world like that, she went out and made a film in that outfit.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Mar 9 2009, 02:44 AM
Post #236

new highs in personal lows daily!

*shudders*

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 9 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #237

Big Fat Bitch

Oooooh! They come with their own fupa! That is a wonderful facet of Mom Jeans. You can be skinny as a stick & have a Mom Jeans induced fupa.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Mar 8 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #238

Pacifism kicks ass!

Nope, no elastic in the waist. So I suppose it could be worse. But there's a little too much fabric between the waistband & the crotch, so despite the lack of pleats, they're kinda blousey in that very special Mom Jean kind of way.

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Mar 8 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #239

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

I survived the eighties and nineties too and if I wanted to sear any retinas, I'd track down a scanner and post some pictures.

I recently found a picture of me in the sixth grade--around 1990--wearing a white sweatshirt with puff paint, neon teal windbreaker, acid washed jeans and, because I wanted to be unique, a hat covered with glitter, buttons and feathers. The hat didn't match the windbreaker or the shirt and if I remember correctly, I probably paired this with red and white striped tennis shoes.

And to think this was well before I did any sort of drugs...

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 8 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #240

Big Fat Bitch

Hey, my laundry day outfit is a heinous black tank dress with a big hole in it, you are more than forgiven.

Okay, so I gotta ask: you said no pleats, RV. But. Is there any elastic involved in the waist?

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 04:53 AM