The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 116 117 118 119 120 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
raisingirl
post May 2 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #2341

PANTIES! ew.

Heh. Maimy, a friend I had a crush on in college didn't talk to me for a whole day after my friend and I told him how much my Birks cost. He had pretty much the same reaction as you! Kind of makes you think of the tree-hugging liberals that only buy organic everything and drive their beat-up Saab 900s with pride. Back then they were definitely under $100, though. Who knows, maybe I just lucked out and found a bargain? I'd never buy them again, though; they are so not my style now. But it was fun while it lasted. Ah, youth. ::giggling::
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maimy
post May 2 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #2342

Hardcore BUSTie

Wait. Wait. WAIT.

Birkenstocks cost $150????

That is so bafflingly unexpected I may well implode. I always associate them with tree-hugging liberalism (though, as much as I love hugging trees, I won't wear 'em myself). A price tag like that smacks closer to Manolo than I ever could have imagined.

Holy shit.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 1 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #2343

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Those are nice, voodoo, but I'm going even more minimalist with Panormo . I'll get them in brown, though.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 1 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #2344

Hardcore BUSTie

polly - which ones you gonna get?
i like SERIS, MECCA, FLUKE, MOMA

COF - just now in parking lot of my apt.... woman wearing red velvet type stretch pants, brown cowboy boots with teal flowers, oversized t-shirt with sparkley design? and brown loosely crocheted long cardigan worn open....... also had big blonde hair..... very bad.....

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 1 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #2345

I love my birks too, but I'm tired of clomping around in them, so I'm getting some cute Born sandals for this summer. But I agree, they shouldn't be worn with socks (I wear them with socks at home, but not in public!)

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post May 1 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #2346

Hardcore BUSTie

luci - oooohhhh.... i lurve me some birks! very sad right now that last landlord decided to "clean out" my house before i actually moved out (before lease was up) and threw away 2 pairs ($300.00 worth!)

no serious COF's to report, and that's surprising considering where I live!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 1 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #2347

oh luci, i understand. they are wicked comfy are they not? i still wouldn't be seen out in public in them though, and i'm the one that goes out in her pjs (or whatever awful combo of junk might have been on the floor from the night before).

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post May 1 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #2348

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

*dusts self off after being knocked off her birkenstocks*

Harumph!

*flounces out*

+Quote Post
missladyj
post May 1 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #2349

Hardcore BUSTie

I mostly see the clogs on suburban high school girls who are not gardening or going kyaking they were the m strictly as a fashion statement and they are ugly

i have also never understood birkenstocks. i dont care how comfortable they are, they are still ugly and take those wool socks off while yer at it!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 1 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #2350

there is a version of those shoes made by berkenstock that are fairly pricey (compared to the holey ones), heavier and more durable and used to be used by kitchen staff. they proctect feet from dropped knives, hot stuff etc. those holey clogs would do Nothing to protect your feet from anything. their only function is to be hideously un-stylie.
and yes, the bank is supposed to be conservative dress. go figure.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 1 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #2351

I know, Possum- my friend has one of those and he says he's so used to it, he just forgets it's there. I had to ask him to take it off on Friday when we all went out to dinner (at a fancy restuarant, though I probably would have asked him no matter where we went!) He's a computer consultant and has a lot of clients who call him at all hours of the day, and here in Chicago, it's illegal to drive while using a hand-held phone, so you have to use some sort of hands free device.

I still think they're really annoying though. Reminds me of an old Ray Romano stand up skit, where he's talking about how cell phones and stuff will just become part of our bodies someday (this is like a 12-year-old skit, long before Everybody Loves Raymond, so it's really becoming more and more true since then!) and he's talking about how we'll just talk to people in our head, and guess where faxes will come out?!?! It's a very visual joke, so describing it does no justice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Apr 30 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #2352

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

That was another thing that annoyed me about the CoF, she was talking into her phone the entire time and didn't even stop when she went through the checkout. I almost ran into her a couple times.

I think those clogs are fairly cheap, around $30 or so. There are knockoffs at Target for around $10. I agree with brlynhermit--they're fine if you're on your feet, but not as a fashion statement.

(There was an episode of WNTW with someone who did wear hospital scrubs as a fashion statement, even though she didn't work in a hospital or clinic. It did look really bizarre.)

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post Apr 30 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #2353

Hardcore BUSTie

there is no excuse for those clogs w/ the holes in 'em. they could have made them look a lot cooler and be functional as well. and how expensive are they???

+Quote Post
possum
post Apr 30 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #2354

BUSTie

Fuuuuck, I hate those small cell phone things (I guess they're Bluetooths) that clip to your ear. I am so sick of seeing people walking around with those damned things. Looks like a little cockroach. No one needs to be hooked up to a thing like that. Your job or life is just not that important. Your children will not perish because your cell phone rings one extra ring while you dig it out of your purse. Nor will you die from holding your phone to your ear, unless you're a dumbass who can't talk and drive at the same time, in which case an ear clip phone isn't going to help you much anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Apr 30 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #2355

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Oh yuck, I hate those sequined bags too. And most khakis, but mainly because it seems that most people who buy them do not to not buy the flat-front kind. (And don't even get me started on pleated trousers. Is there anyone who actually looks good in them?)

Tonight at Trader Joe's:

woman in her late 20's
--black platform flip-flops with the thong part covered in sequins
--medium green gauchos
--blue-green bulky, cable-knit cardigan (keep in mind that it's around 90 degrees outside)
--olive green shirt underneath the cardigan, couldn't tell if it was a tank top or a t-shirt
--gigantic sunglasses that she left on the entire time she was in the store
-- faded camoflauge cap
--cell phone stuck to her ear that was so small it looked like she was talking into her wrist

It looked like she was trying to match everything, but she kinda failed

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 30 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #2356

Hardcore BUSTie

Ever.

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Apr 30 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #2357

Hardcore BUSTie

No. More. Sequined. Bags.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 30 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #2358

Hardcore BUSTie

yeah, bank manager definitely falls into my "no" category.

i thought banks were supposed to be conservative wrt dress?

+Quote Post
pepper
post Apr 30 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #2359

those shoes are so ugly. the bank manager wears them in bright lime green Every day. what a fashion statement. i just don't care how comfy they are, they're unforgivable.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post Apr 30 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #2360

Hardcore BUSTie

they're also good for chefs, nurses, and anyone who's required to wear some sort of clog for work.

my opinion on them is this -- if you're wearing them for a purpose (canoeing, being a line cook, an on-your-feet job, etc.) super. get whatever color you want. do what you have to do.

but as a fashion statement? no. it would be like wearing chef's whites or hospital scrubs out to dinner.

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 116 117 118 119 120 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 02:03 AM