Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bipolar disorder
deschatsrouge
post May 11 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #41

A symphony of atrocities.

@%#&% Finals!!!! I'm soooo tired and I still have a math final tomorrw!

I love every one thanks for being so supportive.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post May 10 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Just a mention for epilepsy...it also is very closely related to bipolar disorder. My twin brother has bipolar and I have epilepsy. Neurology is fascinating.

How were the finals, deschatsrouge?

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 10 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #43

Finals suck the big one, I had my physics lab final a couple weeks ago and this week I had my political science final. On Thursday I have my geology final and Friday I have my math final. I try to spoil myself when I'm under so much stress.

Question, What meds have worked for folks and what meds haven't? How do people deal with the side effects, what side effects are to severe to deal with?

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post May 9 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

deschatsrouge: sounds intense. i think it's phenomenal that you are finishing through with school despite your struggles. keep up the good work! how are finals?

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 8 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #45

I also feel like crap I ran out of meds this weekend and I have a frickin final today, Godess help me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 8 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #46

arrrg, double post!

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 8 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #47

Hi, Y'all, sorry you are not feeling well suffering *Hugs suffering* Hang in there, I think you are doing the right thing by trying to find a treatment that works for you. You are not giving up. *Hugs suffering again*

Janie as I understand it Bipolar and Schizoidphrenia are related because they originate in the same part of the brain (the amygdala I think????) and they are also concurrently congenital, meaning families that have one also have the other

I have halucinations when I am not medicated. It's rather disturbing. the last time I had them I was living alone so I had no way of discerning the real from the imagined. I have tactile halucinations and visual halucinations. I see and feel bugs crawling over me and my bed when there are none. I also see bald midgets in hospital scrubs hiding behind my couch. These expereinces alone are enough to make me want to stay medicated. halucinations suck a big one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
janie90
post May 6 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #48

BUSTie

Deschatsrouge,

Hi, I have had Bi-Polar for the past ten years, now I take Depakote and Zoloft for it. I have more the depressive side of it, so the antidepressent Zoloft really helps me out. I only have to see me Psychiatrist every 3 months for maintenance, I am so glad this thread came out, cause there is so much misinformation out there about BiPolar Disorder. I think that is so cool that you are studying Sign Language. I think the link between Schizoidphrenia/ Bi-Polar comes from the fact that some BiPolars experience extreme mania, and start hallucinating sounds, and/or sights/smells that aren't really there. so sometimes a doc will prescribe a small dose of an anti-psychotic to help them function in a mentally healthy, normal way.

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 5 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

Deschatsrouge: you didn't scare me away I have just been too tired lately to respond!

I think you are right that if you are on medication that is working why switch? Unfortunately none of the meds worked for me or if they did they only worked for 6 months then stopped working (like lithium, it stopped working for me in under a year). My lithium levels just kept dropping despite the fact that I was taking it as prescribed.

I realize that you are opposed to people taking themselves off medications to try and experiment with alternative methods however a lot of people simply don't have any choice. I personally did not have any other options. I asked my psychiatrist if he would monitor me during the transition phase but he said absolutely not. What choice did I have really? None. I was totally unable to function on meds. Some people can function on meds and some can't and no one knows why it works for some and not for others.

I too had two manic episodes induced by antidepressants and you're right it is horrible. The first one was a hypomanic period (with some ultra rapid cycling for good measure!) as a result of Paxil. That went on for over a year. It also went undiagnosed. The second episode was a nearly full blown manic episode (minus psychosis) as a result of Effexor.

And exercise does help too. I never found it helpful when I was depressed however which is weird since I always have read how helpful it is for depression. I was quite depressed throughout most of my high school years and I was also exercising a lot (on the cross country team, track team, nordic ski team, doing triathlons, etc). I ran at least one hour each day if not more but I was still really depressed. I guess it can only help so much?

Uhhh I hope my message was coherent! I am really tired.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 5 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #50

hello??? did I scare everyone away?

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 1 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #51

Because bipolar is not very well understood I tend to take the western medicine approach of treating my illness. Only because I have been extremely lucky. My mental health services are paid for by the state and I have the best doctor available in my area. I also do not have to pay for my very expensive and cutting edge medication. I understand that not every one is that lucky, some don't have the $$ to pay for doctors and medication and some simply do not respond to western medical treatments. I think that if treating your ilness in an unconvetional/nonwestern way is the only way that has thus far worked or the only thing you can afford I am in favor of it. However if you do have access to doctors and have experianced an effective treatment through medications and you can affor it I am staunchly opposed to taking your self off the treatment so you can experement on yourself with unconventional methods. My point is, if you are on meds and they are working, stay on them.
I am aware of the effect that antidepressants have on bipolar people. If a person who has pibolar takes an antidepressant it can cause a severe manic episode. I have gone through such an event. I must say it was very unpleasant. I have also heard those who are bipolar can get a bit or relief from exercise, say a brisk walk. I took up belly dancing which has been a compliment to my treatment, and somthing I can do well into old age. It makes sense that a healthy diet can be beneficial, it seems most medical conditions improve with diet and exercise. The trouble is what if you are in a low, perhapse you just can't make your self eat healthy and get off the couch. I say, do what you can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Apr 28 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

suffering: thank you for your insight and useful information. :-) along the lines of nutrition, i also think all the chemicals and preservatives we're putting into our foods are having a negative effect on us. i believe it's manifesting in tons of personality and emotional "disorders".. that combined with environmental factors, like how society continues to become more harsh and transparent.

the high sensitivity, i've read, is due to an overactive nervous system. our senses are hightened.. to the point of picking up on higher frequencies (sound, light, touch, etc). it's kind of like sensory overload for those who are overly sensitive to their environments. also, you've heard the expression "dont be so sensitive", referring to someone who takes everything personally. we basically internalize everything.

i guess this connection i'm trying to make.. i can see how other disorders, such as AD/HD could contribute to an overactive nervous system. that bipolar could simply be an extreme manifestation of an inability to appropriately respond to one's circumstances.

i know i perhaps seem all over the place with this. i just really feel facing our disorders from a holistic approach is most beneficial.. realizing that each situation is unique and really getting into the individual is important to improve one's quality of life. unique nutritional needs, combined with lifestyle changes, and an awareness of one's self, can really produce great results.

i think we're pretty much on the same page.. what do you think?

--------------------
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
suffering
post Apr 28 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

knorl05-

Interesting theory about the sensitivity thing. When you say you react more intensely to your surroundings how do you mean exactly?

I have heard the theory that bipolar disorder is on the rise because of nutritional deficiencies. Our soil today contains way fewer nutrients than it did generations ago and as a result we just aren't getting enough nutrients. It seems plausible to me especially if you look up the the symptoms of many vitamin deficiencies you will see that a lot of them are related to depression/anxiety/mood swings. The only thing I have had success with for my depression/bipolar is a vitamin-mineral supplement so who knows - maybe that was my problem all along?

I also think that the introduction of antidepressants plays a big role in the increase in people being diagnosed with bipolar. So many people go to their doctor with unipolar depression and are given antidepressants. Then when they experience an antidepressant induced manic episode they are told they have bipolar. The theory is that the antidepressant revealed ('unmasked'? what is the expression?) the underlying bipolar disorder. I have often heard that bipolar patients only seek help for the depressive episodes and not the hypomanic/manic ones and that is why it gets misdiagnosed and that's why they are initially given antidepressants rather than mood stabilizers. This may be the case for some but I know it was not the case for me as I never experienced anything remotely like mania until the antidepressants. But maybe it is the case for some - who knows?

What would you describe as a highly sensitive individual? I am just trying to figure out how this would play into the media theory that you have. It is totally possible you are right but personally I think the nutritional deficiencies theory makes sense as well (especially for me because the vitamins-minerals are working so well for my mood).

I totally agree with you that it is way too easy to write it off as a chemical imbalance. So far I haven't seen much evidence of this chemical imbalance. All we really have are a bunch of theories. It seems that the chemical imbalance theory is pushed by the media. I can't tell you how many times I have come across this on TV and in magazines. It is especially pushed by drug companies with direct advertising to the patient... the message is: "depression is a chemical imbalance" and our product fixes that imbalance. I get really sick of hearing it stated as fact when I haven't seen any proof yet of the imbalance that causes bipolar disorder.

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Apr 27 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

here's what i wonder..? perhaps it's just based on my subjective experience.. but i'm a highly sensitive individual. i react more intensely to my surroundings than most people. i wonder if bipolar is just a form of sensitivity? as in, we simply react to our ever-changing environments. especially with so much going on around us "these days".. what with technology increasing the way it is, and the media and entertainment industries being so blatant. i think maybe we have a hard time assessing the information we are being bombarded with because our sensitivity leaves us more exposed..? is that too simplistic? or even feasible? for some reason i just think it's not right to write people off as having "chemical imbalances".. i think that's too easy. each human is made up of their own unique molecular combinations. i think it's impossible to look at this as a them vs. us type of thing. like those with balanced chemicals and those whose chemicals are imbalanced. i just think there's another answer.

--------------------
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
suffering
post Apr 27 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi,

Sign language interpretation, that sounds pretty interesting! I was working towards my English literature degree before I got sick (health problems sort of related to bipolar but not totally). I have had fatigue and urinary symptoms for two years now so my degree/life is on hold. I have two credits left to go. How long is the sign language interpretation course? It sounds cool.

I think you are right about the correlation between schizophrenia and bipolar. I have read this a number of times but really don't know much about it. It's weird because there seems to be absolutely no family history of bipolar for me. I always hear about this genetic link but I don't know of anyone in my family with either depression or bipolar. I also never responded really to the psychiatric bipolar meds and I have been wondering if that is because maybe my problems were caused by Lyme? Who knows really. I think I have Lyme disease on the brain these days. I am trying to find a solution to my health problems so am trying to rule out absolutely everything.

I think that was a huge digression...! I have a whole bunch of books about bipolar/psychosis and I read them in small chunks because there is so much info. it takes a while for me to absorb it, especially considering I do not have a science background.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 27 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #56

Hi Suffering,
I'm working towards my degree in sign language interpretation. I have never heard of a corralation between lyme disease and bipolar. I have heard that families with a history of schizophrenia also have a history of bipolar. This might be the case in my family, as I have ancestors who have schizophrenia . I have heard that this is why some of the medicines used to treat schizophrenia also work on bipolar. I am sure there is some kind of info about this corralation some where but I am no expert on the matter. If any one has info about any bipoal/pathic correlations I encourage them to post a link or tell us about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
suffering
post Apr 26 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

Deschatsrouge: I'm glad you found something that has helped you get on with your life. Medications never worked for me so I went the alternative route. What did you study at school?

I am just reading lately about how bipolar disorder can be related to Lyme disease. I am going to get tested for Lyme soon as I have a lot of symptoms that point towards this diagnosis, including bipolar. Who knows! I will be curious to see the results. Has anyone else read about this link between Lyme&bipolar?

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 25 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #58

The hardest thing about being bipolar for me was giving up the dream of "normal" I had to accept taking meds for the rest of my life. (that may not apply to everyone)After I accepted bipolar disorder as a part of myself, I was able to move on, function, hold down a job, and get an education. Understanding the bipolar part of my self gave me one of my missing pieces back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Apr 24 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

"My advice, no one can get better for you"... such wise advice for ANYONE. i believe everyone has an area of their life that they want to improve, and it is essential to realize it is our own responsiblity to do so.

--------------------
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 24 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #60

I am bipolar and have been so since the age of eight. My parents are inept and ignorant so instead of getting me treatment they beat me. The disease has wreaked havoc on my academics, has inhibited my ability to have good relationships and has alienated me from my family. I only got better when I decided I wanted to.(you can't decide you are not menatlly ill, but you can decide to seek treatment) I have found that having a good relationship with a clinician is important, a doctor is your link to health and productivity. I have good communication with my doctor, and because of that she has been able to find the right medication for me (seroquel). My advice, no one can get better for you, stay on your meds, keep your doctor appointments and don't give up hope.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 24, 2014 - 07:50 AM