The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hauling Ass On My Hip: The Purse/Bag Thread
miniskirtordeath
post May 10 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #1

I ride my bike a lot. I've been on the prowl for a perfect bag where it's not one of those bulky messenger bags instead a fashion forward lady bag, but still perfect for biking. I bought one at a Platos Closet but it's falling apart.

So I ebayed a pink faux leather purse that doubles as a backpack. I never do pink, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. Can't wait for the mail this week!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Apr 19 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

New handbag!

I tried a couple of super-cheap bags til I found a size/shape I was happy with, then upgraded to this.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Nov 23 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Oooh, thanks syb, that looks really good!

I confess that I followed all of AP's links, and my taste kept getting ever more expensive. Then I found a decent-ish bag in Oxfam for 3 and bought that instead! I figured it would do for a while as a 'practice' bag so I can try out a different style before laying down serious cash.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Nov 20 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #4

it's cards on the table time

Persi, I only now saw your earlier question about leather bags... I'm a big fan of very plain leather bags and have one of these which I absolutely love. It set me back about 110 at CDG airport and I'm not sure where the company ships too, but it sounds like what you're looking for. There's a single zip pocket inside and a wee additional pocket for a mobile phone, and that's it.

Here's a link to the other bags she does fyi...

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Oct 5 2010, 02:11 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks Divala! I'm trying to resist buying the Nancy Drew wallet plus a sensible purple wallet for 'grown-up days', thanks to my spendthrift flatmate whose answer to everything is 'buy both!'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Divala
post Oct 4 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I think it's pretty awesome, not childish at all.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Oct 4 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Quick question: is this Nancy Drew wallet awesome or riduculously childish?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Sep 16 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I like the warnings at the bottom: 'Not appropriate for church or school'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 16 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Big Fat Bitch

OMG! {guffaws} Y'know, if I used one of my full-coverage, molded-cup bras? I could make a new bag for my bowling ball!

Do keep us appraised of your purchase!

PS. I wound up buying the Madden Blustful bag. I am a sucker for sequins!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Sep 16 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

THANK YOU AP! You are indeed the bomb!

What would it make you if you liked this bag?

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 16 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #11

Big Fat Bitch

QUOTE(Persiflager @ Sep 16 2010, 07:32 AM) *
Anyway, I'm basically trying to find a smart leather version of my current scruffy messenger bag, but they're all so..... girly! I like across-body bags as they're more comfortable, with internal pockets and as few buckles, frills, bows and other nonsense as possible.

Any tips?

I personally don't do cross-bodies, I don't like the way they cut across my chest & make my boobs look even more huge, but how much are you looking to spend? Are there any materials issues? Like, are you wanting something vegan friendly, or . . . ?

Fossil has a whole line of cute, if occasionally hippie-ish cross-bodies.

I suggest doing some online window shopping at ShopStyle. It's an easy way of browsing many different brands/styles all in one place. I liked the Kooba Dean, the Steve Madden BLustful, We Bag To Differ, HOBO INTERNATIONAL Di Vintage, Cynthia Rowley Stripe Too, & if you really want tough? Tylie Malibu Runaway Bianca. I like to think it is what Joan Jett Would Do!

All of that info in a half an hour, am I awesome or what?! Oh, wait, I forgot, my love of trendy shoes/purses makes me a slave to other women self-esteem-wise, I'd be a better person, more in touch with my inner circle of friends/family if I were helping you find undergarments. My bad. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 8 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #12

PANTIES! ew.

Hmmmm! Getting warmer. Maybe.

Oilcloth bags and purses.

I dunno. They are sort of interesting. I need to see them in person to decide. I usually go for the... um... LOUDER oilcloth prints that remind me of fiestas and summer.

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Jan 7 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh yeah... AP thanks for the looksy at the purse you are getting. That website has some really super cute stuff on it!!! I like the bag on there that says "cute as hell." I totally want it!

+Quote Post
SUPERLUVER
post Jan 7 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

cool. always nice to see something like that in ohio..the land of chain restaurants and churches, lol.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jan 6 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #15

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Jennaclaire is in The Greens in Beavercreek (or is it Kettering?) OH.
Sorry about the wonky link. It is hard to show exactly which one I got as she has nothing on the site made in that style, apparently. I got it in the mail and I love it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
SUPERLUVER
post Jan 6 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

where in ohio, kittenb??

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 6 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #17

PANTIES! ew.

Yeah, too messenger-like, Bunny (I don't like those front flaps -- I want something I can wear across the body, but with easy access to reach in, like a zippered or snap/magnetic top, no front flap of fabric in the way). I'm having a Goldilocks moment here.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 6 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #18

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

raisingirl, what about a crumpler bag? or is that too messenger-like for you?

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 5 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #19

PANTIES! ew.

I still haven't found what I'm looking for, Dayglow. I hate messenger bags AND Queen Bee! Ugh. I should design my own. But I can't believe I can't find anything I remotely like. Kitten, that link didn't take me to a picture. Custom designed would be nice!

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jan 1 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #20

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

*sigh* purses. I wish we could post pictures here again so that I could show you some of my recent thrift store finds. Maybe I'll take some nice camera phone pics and post them on Photobucket. I found an adorable black velvet bag with nice beading and I got 2 cheap party purses at Payless of all places.

But soon I will be getting my true prize. A few weeks ago I babysat for a friend of a friend in exchange for a custom designed purse. She runs a shop in Ohio where you can pick out a style, pick out fabrics and then a get a bag designed to your specifications. This is the Cinch bag that I requested. My fabric is different, though. It is a tapestry dark green with a gold sheen. The belt will either be a lovely flowered purple silk or an orange. She wasn't sure that she had enough of the purple when I was in her store. I cannot wait to get it. My former boss will be so jelous.

I like these stores where you can make your own purse. I don't know how common the idea is but there is one store that does it in Chicago. The woman I am getting this one from is actually in Ohio. If I still lived there I would totally LIVE in that store.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 21, 2014 - 09:38 PM