I was so sad there wasn't a new episode last night sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 24 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I was thinking the same thing, nick.

She mentioned that her father was involved with gangster's or the mafia or something like that in one of the first episodes this season.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 24 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

gangster connections?

damn ima miss sitting down at 10 tonite to watch sad.gif

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 23 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #4

it's cards on the table time

And of course she has those gangster connections... you might be on to something.

+Quote Post
Divala
post Oct 22 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I have to wonder if Dr. Faye is going to do anything to retaliate against Don for what he did to her, since she knows all the dirt on him now. I kind of hope she does.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Oct 21 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #6

the moistiest

i have this overwhelming feeling that don proposed to whatsherface because he's going to fake his/"don's" death, and he'd rather have whf take care of his kids than betty.

or is that too melodramatic?

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 20 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #7

it's cards on the table time

Further thoughts on the Futureland finale anyone? (Sorry, I couldn't resist the alliteration...)

Don's proposal to Megan totally floored me and I was gratified to see it floored her too! It seemed inconsistent of her character to accept given her earlier independent stance on their first shag, so I expected her to refuse.

I do like that the show emphasised what a predictable result their engagement is, though. I loved it when Peggy went into Joan's office and Joan looked and asked dryly, 'whatever might be on your mind?'

I was disappointed that Don was therefore such a shit to Dr Faye--but impressed at how she dealt with him. (Also I loved her apricot knit two piece...)

I dunno: sure, Don's gone for the lazy option. being with Dr Faye would mean continuing to excavate himself and who he really is, whereas with Megan he doesn't have to do any of that work. Megan's no fool though, so it could be worse.

I also get he's obviously marrying hr at least in part because of how she is with the kids, and to some extent that's justified. If you have kids, how your future partner feels about them (and they her/him) can (and maybe should) be a dealbreaker. But added to this are all Don's gendered expectations that Megan will simply step in and do most of the work with them.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 17 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #8

Big Fat Bitch

"Tomorrow can be a wonderful age. Our scientists today are opening the doors of the Space Age to achievements that will benefit our children and generations to come. The Tomorrowland attractions have been designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future." - Walt Disney

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 17 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

as much as i want her to come across a copy of The Feminine Mystique, i don't think it's going to happen. which makes her character all that more realistic, well-written, and well-played.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 17 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I've actually been really surprised at the criticism of her character. I've never thought of her as the show's "monster" and most of the time I feel sympathy for her, and just sad. I think the character is a perfect illustration of a very real woman that could have occurred at that time. We've had a little insight into Betty's past and I don't think it's surprising, given what we DO know, that she's so incredibly repressed.

She has virtually no trust and every time we occasionally see her coming out and being honest with herself or someone else she gets scared and retreats again. She has no idea how to deal with her emotions but I think there were some subtle changes this season. I got really excited that the therapist was actually a good therapist and made a connection with Betty, even though it was small. That scene last episode (i think) was actually a pretty good example of her developing enough trust to be honest, but then when the doctor suggested she see a colleague she got scared and retreated, only agreeing to the monthly meeting. I find her character really complex and I agree with you Star, she is trying to find her own identity.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Oct 16 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #11

brown delicious

Interesting article, nickclick.

When I think of Betty, I actually think of my grandmother. My grandmother has been known to have said some pretty awful things to my mother (who would be about Sally's age in that era) in relation to sexuality, boys, and autonomy. So, unfortunately, that character has some truth to her. I don't think Betty has ever individuated or developed past childhood; hence, her childish behavior. Adolescence can be a scary time for parents and resurface a lot of unaddressed childhood issues. It is no coincidence that Betty manipulated Sally's child psychologist to address her own needs. Betty is a selfish, narcissistic character, but, I feel she is searching for her own identity just like the other characters on the show. I'm not sure it is necessarily that the writers are doing a poor job of writing her character, but, more the viewers reactions towards her character as a privileged stay at home mother/wife.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 16 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Why do the Mad Men Writers Make Betty Draper Such a Monster?

hmmm... what do you think?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Oct 12 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #13

brown delicious

Divala, yeah, that's a good point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Divala
post Oct 12 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

I actually interpreted that scene as Don paying Pete's way because Pete has covered for Don more than once, so he kind of owed him. Now they're kind of even, although Pete still has Don's secret to hang over his head.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Oct 12 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #15

brown delicious

The one scene I loved the most this epi was when Pete found out Don paid his half to remain a partner. Yes, Pete. You are still Don's bitch. At the same time, I'm not sure Don did it as a power over dynamic as much as I think we saw Don wanting to support the newbies like Peggy and Pete.

Next week is the season finale! I don't know about anyone else, but, I have really enjoyed this season.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 8 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

after seeing this past week's epi i changed my mind about Joan lying about the (recent) abortion. it wasn't that she felt ridiculous being in the same situation as a 15-year old girl, but being in the same situation with Roger after all this time. i love them together but i'm glad she dumped him after his childish and needy display.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Oct 7 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #17

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

If Joan has a secret, it's that she has a 15 y.o. daughter somewhere.

Agreed! I forgot about that but that was what I was thinking that night.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
Jan Brady
post Oct 7 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #18

I saw nothing to suggest Joan lied and did not have an abortion.

If Joan has a secret, it's that she has a 15 y.o. daughter somewhere.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Oct 6 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #19

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I'm suprised at how many people think that Joan didn't have an abortion. It never ocurred to me. Now I am beginning to wonder. I would be suprised. It isn't a secret she could easily keep for long. While I think that most people would assume that it was her husband's child, Roger would know and that is a kind of power I don't think that Joan wants him to have over her. But time will tell.
I wasn't at all suprised that Don banged his secretary (although I was impressed w/how forward & direct Megan was about it. Is the sexual revolution beginning?) I would be furious if he took her to the Beatles, though. Another character who needs a boot to the head is (as always) Pete. I get that men did not attend deliveries in the 60's but would it have killed him to be present for a few minutes? Joining the boot to the head list would be Ken for coming to get Pete in the first place (although it says something about the times that Ken knew Pete would go.)

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Sep 27 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #20

brown delicious

Hi Rose!!! smile.gif

If I said it once, I'll say it again. Gawker has the best recaps about Mad Men.

I have a feeling some characters are falling back into old behaviors. It felt like most of the characters were taking risks and doing some things differently. It felt like the characters of this episode were still taking risks: Don telling Dr. Faye about his true identity; Lane introducing his new love to his father; Joan and Roger talking openly about what should be done about the pregnancy; Pete talking with his wife; Betty telling Henry about the Feds coming to their home. BUT, it is almost like the tension became this big clusterfuck for them and they started to fall back into lying. I think Joan did not have an abortion. I think Don will take the secretary to the Beatles, shag her, and simultaneously disappointment Sally and Dr. Fay. I could go on, but, I just didn't have the triumph feeling I had the prior episode.

If the writers have all of the characters fall back into old behaviors, is it sloppy writing? I felt like it was a cliche turnaround like with some movies where we want the lead to make the right and moral decision (like Brad Pitt in Seven and Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler).

I wonder if our need to have these characters make the right decision with their old behaviors speak about our own desire for change and hope. Not to get too interpretative here. But, this episode reminded me about Tony Soprano in the end of the series of the Sopranos....he is who he is and he accepted his life and fate...secrets and all. Live by the sword, die by the sword...if you will.

Btw, Kittenb and my mom FTW! They called it correctly. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 21, 2014 - 12:47 PM