The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 79 80 81 82 83 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
maimy
post Oct 15 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #1601

Hardcore BUSTie

Everybody said that about sixties retro, and seventies retro, too. I was 12-22 in the eighties, and yeah, there were some problems. But no more than other decades, and no fewer either. I'm unrepentant about most of the clothes I wore and other choices. I revisit certain aspects of silhouette and spirit from time to time, too - without apology. I don't see how the dorky fads from my own prime are any more offensive than other dorky fads. Some of us escaped the entire decade without o-ring bracelets, gummi shoes, long-shirts-over-leggings, ponytails-on-top, big hair, and Toni Basil tragedies. We all make our own personal brands of mistakes. The ones my generation made aren't so terrible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 15 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #1602

Hardcore BUSTie

I like the way Joan Jett looked in the late 70s and early 80s, (and today!) but that probably doesn't really count, since she is too rock'n roll to be an 80s fashion victim.

My dad kept a huge box of my 80s teenage magazines in the attic, after I moved out.
Flicking through them was more then cringe inducing:
..those poodle perms.... frosted lipsticks in "icy" pink... shoulder pads.... *shivers*

In those times I used to get ridiculed a lot for not being trendy enough. huh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Oct 15 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #1603

Hardcore BUSTie

I HATE those heeled ankle boots that have come back. Especially since people insist on wearing them with dresses. I haven't seen them on an actual person yet, just on celebrity pics, but I'm sure the time will come soon enough.

I just hate the 80s comeback in general. I can't think of any trend from the 80s that wasn't ugly.

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Oct 14 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #1604

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

At the risk of getting things thrown at me, I'm going to have to agree with pherber about the retro thing. After a certain age, wearing leggings and a huge t-shirt is going to make you look dated, not trendy, especially if you are old enough to have worn it the first time around (and the clothes look old enough to be from that time).

That's the main reason why I will not wear them (being in grade school counts, right?), plus they don't flatter me.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 14 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #1605

Hardcore BUSTie

Heehee, thanks doodle! happy.gif

That legging thing is weird, since they're definetely the fastest ageing clothes ever, and I don't even mean the style, I mean the material. After three months, they look like they've been run over by a train. mellow.gif

Risking to sound like a pompous ass here, but whatever happened to the rule of thumb, that the point of retro is to wear things you were too young to wear, when they were trendy the first time around?
I guess, it's because people won't throw out hideous clothes for the silly reason, that "everything comes back into fashion again" dry.gif

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Oct 14 2006, 01:35 PM
Post #1606

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

I didn't think you were busty - I just didn't want to be known as a tat-hater! tongue.gif

So, I'm seeing a lot of leggings out in public lately. But these are not new, "fashionable" leggings. They are leggings women have apparently dragged out of their closets and are going back to wearing (with tent-like t-shirts and sweatshirts) because they've been given "permission" by the trend. UGH, UGH, UGH!

pherber, your sweater sounds lovely!

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 14 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #1607

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I just have to share my excitement! biggrin.gif

In a second hand shop, I bought a classic pink v-neck sweater yesterday, made of 55% silk, and 45% cashmere, and it was only six euros! (about 7 dollars)

It's the softest thing I ever touched... wub.gif

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Oct 11 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #1608

Hardcore BUSTie

Doodle, I wasn't bashing you. More a non-specific kvetching about people not into tats that push the ridiculous idea that immorality somehow gets injected into the skin with the ink. wink.gif

That said, I'd cover mine if I was going to get a loan, to court, or to plead my case in front of the legislature. Of course, I'd also cover my ass, crotch, nips, tits, and thighs. At this point my tats are as much a part of me as any of those bits.

If you feel that strongly about not showing a tat at your wedding, you could always wait until after the date to get it. After all, the wedding is just a day, and if it would make you happy to make your mom happy, waiting until the day has passed may suit you. Only you will know for sure.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 10 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #1609

oh girl, you tell that to your mother. she's not the one getting married, right? you'd think she'd want to give you your dream day.
oh well, it's not worth the family discord sometimes. i understand. i'm just lucky with the trippy hippy mom i guess.

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Oct 10 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #1610

BUSTie

tell that to my mother, pepper... tongue.gif
Maybe I could find a way to incorperate that into the colors and what not... hmmm

--------------------
"Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren't real.
But they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books,
are true books" -Ursula Le Guin

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 10 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #1611

Hardcore BUSTie

*delurking*
Girl in a college district, who I had the misfortune of walking behind today, was wearing blue jeans with horizontal slits just under both asscheeks, from inner to outer seams, giving all and sundry regular glimpses as she walked of the crease where her pale bum met her upper thighs.

Good God.

*relurking*

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 10 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #1612

onna-otaku, i would think that a wedding would be a day entirely about YOU. when better to show off something so incredibly personally expressive? that's the best day for it, IMHO.

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Oct 10 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #1613

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Point taken on the "respect" issue....I think maybe the problem in the case of young lefties is the lack of respect for government! Which I feel, too, but my disrespect is political party-based, rather than disrespect for the institution itself (though I feel that too, from time-to-time). But yeah, it does come down to whether or not you want your point heard...it's just getting them to wrap their heads around the concept that people DO judge what you say by what you wear, and that's just the way it is, so get over it. *sigh* Maybe I should call in Stacey and Clinton to do a special WNTW for political activists.

Just to clarify, I wasn't ever dissing tats in my last post! I *was* dissing strapless dresses at funerals, and also bemoaning the visibility of tats (and piercings and inappropriate attire) when trying to make one's case to political conservatives. I have often thought about getting a tat myself (I want Pippi Longstocking hoisting Wonder Woman with one arm), but I can never bring myself to justify the cost when I'm always scrambling to pay the bills. *sigh*

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Oct 10 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #1614

BUSTie

I want to get a phoenix on my back, the issue being that it will show at my wedding. My wedding being the only time I'm not to thrilled with showing it. any tips?

--------------------
"Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren't real.
But they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books,
are true books" -Ursula Le Guin

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Oct 10 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #1615

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm all for the appropriate attire thing. No bras showing, pants, hair combed, washed, etc.

BUT...on the tattoos tip, that's not a fashion item. To a lot of tattooed people, that's simply their skin, both literally and figuratively. It represents something deep enough to most of them (not Taz tats, maybe, but you know what I mean) to wear it on their bodies for the rest of their life. It is such a personal thing that even though the world can see it, it's not something done with the world in mind. While I would probably cover mine if I was in front on the legislature (and therefore pleading my case and mindful of needing approval), at a funeral/wedding/etc, it is nobody's right to expect you to cover up if you are dressed otherwise tastefully. Particularly if it's outside, particularly if it's hot.

Tattoos are here to stay, in greater and greater numbers every year. At some point people will get it, or they won't. But I'm not covering up unless the situation truly warrants it. If someone can't figure out from the way I carry myself that I deserve (and demand, and receive) respect, then they aren't worth mine.

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 10 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #1616

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, if someone younger dies, it's better to consider the parents who've lost their child, which is so horrible.

A bit off topic: My friend once posed for a photo with his mum and aunt, and he was wearing his dads suit and a gas mask! His family is so cool! laugh.gif

(Jumping mouse? Never!!! biggrin.gif )

CoF: It's probably been said here many times before, but those hipster pants, worn with very tight and way too short stretch T-shirts look godawful on size 16+. I'm not thin myself, so I know, there are more flattering ways to show off voluptuous curves.

+Quote Post
maimy
post Oct 9 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #1617

Hardcore BUSTie

WHO would jump Mouse????

*Standing on guard*

I have no crimes to report, but agree on the issues of respect at funerals and respect at the Legislature. Respect may be manifested in many ways, as in the punk rock funeral. But it should always be considered. And then you will find others considerate of YOU.

*Respecting everyone here*

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 9 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #1618

Hardcore BUSTie

blink.gif Purple is my favourite colour, but that outfit is truly scary! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mouse
post Oct 9 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #1619

Most Likely Procrastinating

*tentatively peeking in, hesitant since i got jumped the last few times i tried to post here....*

woman, fairly attractive, possibly early middle age, long curly brown hair and glasses, wearing:
--purple, shiny cowboy hat
--purple satin blouse tucked into
--purple leather high-waisted jeans
--purple SNEAKERS

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
pherber
post Oct 9 2006, 07:38 AM
Post #1620

Hardcore BUSTie

This thing with funerals, also depends on who died, and how conservative the family is IMO.
Like when my friend died, who was a punk rocker, we all came in our usual attire, which would be black jeans, vintage dresses and coats, all fleamarket stuff, but then his family is not conservative at all and his parents were very moved that so many of his friends showed up.
I also think showing up in dark neutrals is always better than wearing a black item, that is just completely out of place, like those cocktail minidresses. ( blink.gif That's really bizarre...)

With the bra thing, I so agree. It's one thing if a bit of black/pink lace is showing in a plunging neckline when you go out in the evenings, but those skimpy tops with showing (dirty) bra straps, blech!

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 79 80 81 82 83 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 31, 2014 - 09:29 AM