271 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Feb 2 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #901

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Feb 2 2009, 09:57 AM) *
Hi Sweaty,

On your blog entry Jan 29th you say you just bought some Rephresh Pro B - just wondered why you if you don't have (and have never had) BV?

A while ago, I had a non-albican yeast infection. So now, I take probiotics regularly for maintenance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Feb 2 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #902

BUSTie

Nope, I never had Bacterial Vaginosis.

Hi Sweaty,

On your blog entry Jan 29th you say you just bought some Rephresh Pro B - just wondered why you if you don't have (and have never had) BV?

+Quote Post
ladylustlove
post Feb 1 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #903

BUSTie

QUOTE(nik7121 @ Jan 31 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Hey random question, but has anyone tried D-Mannose? Its supposed to be a great all-natural way to prevent UTIs, but when I looked up the dosage on ClearTract (one brand), it was recommended to take 3 capsules 5X a day for the first 4 days of usage (which seems a bit extreme, and actually ends up being the whole bottle), and then afterwards to take 3 a day. Has anyone tried it?

Hey girl
I for one am in loooove with d-mannose.
it is like my personal savior.
I was having UTI's like mad, maybe around 6
last year or something to that effect.
I tried D-mannose for my last UTI and
it didn't cure it, so i had to go on antiobiotics again (sigh)
Since then, though, i haven't had a UTI (knock on wood).
Mine were being caused by sex, so every time
i do it, i take a scoop of d-mannose (UT vibrance from
whole foods) in water.
and also clean my nether region thoroughly.
it has really, really helped me!

That ClearTract dosage does sound like alot,
but from what i recall you have to take
alot if you're trying to get rid
of an infection. I just take mine for maintainance.
xo

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Jan 31 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #904

BUSTie

QUOTE(nik7121 @ Jan 31 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Hey random question, but has anyone tried D-Mannose? Its supposed to be a great all-natural way to prevent UTIs, but when I looked up the dosage on ClearTract (one brand), it was recommended to take 3 capsules 5X a day for the first 4 days of usage (which seems a bit extreme, and actually ends up being the whole bottle), and then afterwards to take 3 a day. Has anyone tried it?

I'm pretty sure that level of dosing is for an active infection(rather than as a preventive). I wasn't impressed with it. It's really only effective against certain strains of UTI-causing bacteria, and didn't help my mother or me when we tried it this past summer. She had a klebsiella sp. infection & mine was due to enterococcus faecalis. We both had to go the antibiotics route to get better. dry.gif

Maggie C.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 31 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #905

QUOTE(sassy @ Jan 30 2009, 02:15 PM) *
Sweaty: You've never had BV? I was under the impression you had BV and were trying different methods on here. I thought you were trying the Fem-D. I'm confused.

Nope, I never had Bacterial Vaginosis. How are things going for you? I haven't heard from you in a long time.

+Quote Post
nik7121
post Jan 31 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #906

BUSTie

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 30 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #907

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 30 2009, 10:32 AM) *
When I read statements like this one,"But you've been saying a lot of stuff that's just plain wrong or misleading.", I can't help but feel irate on a personal level. I may never have had Bacterial Vaginosis, but I know enough to write a publication on it.

And I'm telling you, you don't. You very obviously don't.

Think about it. You claim expertise on BV. But someone who's had BV is telling you: NO, YOU AREN'T. Credibility is something that is earned. You don't get it by declaring you're an expert.

Let's take your 1st statement: "It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria." As I pointed out, that is pretty far off the mark. MOST (if not ALL) of us are here because we've had recurrences after prescription treatment. For some of us, the cycle went on for years. Antibiotic resistance is definitely a concern, but there's a more plausible reason for our suffering, and knowing that is a big part of tackling the problem.

I think this is just one example of how you're talking out of your butt. You just don't have the perspective of someone who's been through it.

As I said, just because you haven't had BV doesn't mean you can't contribute. Doctors don't have to suffer every disease in order to treat it effectively. Men can become great OB/GYN doctors despite the fact that they do not have vaginas.

But your latest set of comments are just really off the mark. And some of it is just plain wrong. (She's spotting because her period is coming? Come on. You just pulled that one straight out of your ass, and you know it.)

Another thing is: You repeat a lot of stuff that's already been discussed to death, and you keep bringing it up like it's something we've never heard of before. I'm not saying that anyone needs to be an expert to offer suggestions. But you claim to speak with authority ("I know enough to write a publication on it") and I'm telling you, you really don't. Your understanding of this topic is very shallow.

It's like you went to a Star Trek convention, and you're telling people, "Hey, did you know Capt. Kirk's middle name is Tyberius?" (Or whatever, I don't watch that show.) And everyone else will roll their eyes and say, "Yeah, we know." Well, that's ... you.

I mean, what do you expect? This is a thread for people who've had, or have, ongoing problems with BV. It's like ... having kids. If you've never raised kids, you don't really know what it's like. And even though you may have some good suggestions about raising kids, ultimately, your advice is kind of useless because your perspective is limited. And you can't blame mothers for not wanting your advice when you've never been one.

And some of the things you say are just insulting and ignorant. At some point you said, "I heard that [BV is] mainly caused by unhealthy eating habits, drinking/smoking, several sex partners, poor immune system, pollution and so on."

Once again, from the perspective of people who have been struggling with BV for years, this is just plain insulting. Some of us have tried EVERYTHING we can think of, including drastically modifying our diets and lifestyles, and going without sex for a long time even when we're in relationships. So for you to come in here and say shit like that is very upsetting. And if you had been through what most of us here have, you would know why that is upsetting.

Sorry to pimp out Personal Messages that I get, but a few posters are upset about this dynamic. Personally, I do not care what you say. I don't have the time to deal with bullshit. But your ignorant comments are pissing people off, and for some reason people are writing me about it, and I thought you should know.

Like I said, you have contributed some useful research in this group. And I'm happy to give you credit when it's due. But as I said, about 80% of the time, what you say is at the very least pointless, and at worst, insensitive and upsetting.

Also - "... irate on a personal level?" That's just hilarious. Look, this isn't about you. Instead of choosing to be personally "irate" by my comments, I think you should reflect on why I'm saying these things. Maybe, just maybe, there's some truth to it?

No one has to listen to me. But as always, I call it as I see it, and you can take that for what it's worth.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassy
post Jan 30 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #908

Hardcore BUSTie

Sweaty: You've never had BV? I was under the impression you had BV and were trying different methods on here. I thought you were trying the Fem-D. I'm confused.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 30 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #909

To whom it may concern:

I've come across a statement that says I am propagating false information on this forum. At times, what I say may come across as delusive because it isn't worded properly or I haven't sited my sources, but I have no reason to say something untrue because I wouldn't gain anything from it. There will be times when I may have personal suggestions such as trying something natural, but I always research a method before I suggest it.

I've read medical texts that explain the whole science behind vaginal diseases and I've taken my curiosity to the next level by attending elective courses on Gynecology and Obstetrics where I learn countless things as to what causes vaginal diseases and how they can be treated and so on. I have no problem going into detail. When I read statements like this one,"But you've been saying a lot of stuff that's just plain wrong or misleading.", I can't help but feel irate on a personal level. I may never have had Bacterial Vaginosis, but I know enough to write a publication on it.

Yours Truly,
Sweaty in Social Studies

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 29 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #910

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 29 2009, 04:38 PM) *
Let me clarify myself:

1. "It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria."

Bacteria, yeasts can build resistancy to certain drugs.

Yes, we know this. But do you have any evidence that this is the case here?

When you say "It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria," you should have more evidence than the fact that it's just one possibility of many. It's like, "Oh, do you have a headache? It seems like a brain tumor." Sure, it COULD be a brain tumor. Regardless, that's a dumbass thing to say.

(My suggestion to the original writer is: using only 3 days of metrogel may have been the problem. You should always take the full course of antibiotics and not just stop when the symptoms subside.)

2. "Your spotting is probably caused by that fact that your period is coming some time soon".

This can actually be a result of many different things. It is probably because of her reoccurring Bacterial Infections.

You're exactly right, it probably is. Therefore, the fact that her period is coming probably has NOTHING to do with it.

So your original statement is just plain wrong.

(My suggestion to the original writer is: since the spotting occurred right after the pap, your cervix is probably inflamed [cervicitis] which is something that can be caused by BV, and has become friable [easily bleeds].)

3. "This could be an infection linked to your menstrual cycle."

Infections may be more common around the time of a menstruation. In a normal menstrual cycle, estrogen deposits glycogen (a form of sugar) in the cells that are found in the lining of the vagina. The release of progesterone causes the cells to shed into the vagina, so the sugar becomes available for yeast and bacteria to feed on, multiply and grow. Estrogen and sugar production peak at the midpoint between periods, and then progesterone begins to build and sugar is released. Yeast infection symptoms can follow the hormonal pattern of this cycle. Usually, the most severe symptoms occur before the onset of a woman's period when more sugar is available. During and after the flow, symptoms are likely to subside. Additionally, changes in the vaginal pH can disrupt the immune system or destroy the so-called friendly bacteria that populate the vaginal canal and keep the yeast fungus/bacteria in check.

BV symptoms are frequently stronger after your period. This is also something that is well-known. (And the rest of your blather is about yeast. I don't know why.)

But your original sentence was: "This could be an infection linked to your menstrual cycle." Huh? How is this related to what you're trying to say? That's just another outright false statement that doesn't make any sense. And I think you realize that, so you're just trying to cover up that fact with a bunch of irrelevant blah-blah about yeast again.

Please reflect on your original words, and figure out why they do not apply here.

I hope you don't think I'm just picking on you. But you've been saying a lot of stuff that's just plain wrong or misleading. And I think you should stop. I don't know why you're doing this, I think you just don't know what you're talking about. And I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you've never had BV, and your perspective is limited.

This doesn't mean you should stop contributing. But you should think before you speak. Obviously, you thought about your original statements, and you realize that they were wrong. So instead of "clarifying" yourself, you just change what you said. Nice trick. I'm calling you on it.

There's nothing wrong with making mistakes or just not knowing something. But you just say whatever pops into your head. So please stop pulling things out of thin air just to answer every question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wannaBfree
post Jan 29 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #911

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 29 2009, 12:41 PM) *
It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria, which could be why the metrogel isn't working for you anymore. Your spotting is probably caused by that fact that your period is coming some time soon. This could be an infection linked to your menstrual cycle. Does your bacterial vaginosis infection get worse before or after your period? And is the odor present during your period?

Thank you for the info. The smell seems to be worse before my period. No smell during it. Then it lingers as my period is finishing and a week after. I'm usually in the clear for a week or two - then it starts up again.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 29 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #912

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 29 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Let me clarify myself:

2. "Your spotting is probably caused by that fact that your period is coming some time soon".

This can actually be a result of many different things. It is probably because of her reoccurring Bacterial Infections.

Infections may be more common around the time of a menstruation. In a normal menstrual cycle, estrogen deposits glycogen (a form of sugar) in the cells that are found in the lining of the vagina. The release of progesterone causes the cells to shed into the vagina, so the sugar becomes available for yeast and bacteria to feed on, multiply and grow. Estrogen and sugar production peak at the midpoint between periods, and then progesterone begins to build and sugar is released. Yeast infection symptoms can follow the hormonal pattern of this cycle. Usually, the most severe symptoms occur before the onset of a woman's period when more sugar is available. During and after the flow, symptoms are likely to subside. Additionally, changes in the vaginal pH can disrupt the immune system or destroy the so-called friendly bacteria that populate the vaginal canal and keep the yeast fungus/bacteria in check.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 29 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #913

Let me clarify myself:

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 29 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #914

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 29 2009, 09:41 AM) *
It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria,

??

Your spotting is probably caused by that fact that your period is coming some time soon.

???

This could be an infection linked to your menstrual cycle.

????

You're just making stuff up at this point. Please stop.

Sweaty, you do contribute some great research from time to time. But about 80% of the time, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you don't know the answer, it's okay to just be quiet. It really is.

It's definitely better than muddy-ing the waters with stab-in-the-dark suggestions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 29 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #915

QUOTE(wannaBfree @ Jan 28 2009, 08:04 PM) *
ok so can anyone help me out on this? Last Tuesday I went for my yearly exam. Had a pap and I spotted all of the next day. 2 days after is when I noticed the BV. I never had the fishy smell. I always get this sour kinda odor. I did 3 nights of the metrogel and it won't go away. Does my period coming any day now have anything to do with it? I was fine up until the pap.

It seems like you may have resistant strains of bacteria, which could be why the metrogel isn't working for you anymore. Your spotting is probably caused by that fact that your period is coming some time soon. This could be an infection linked to your menstrual cycle. Does your bacterial vaginosis infection get worse before or after your period? And is the odor present during your period?

+Quote Post
nik7121
post Jan 29 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #916

BUSTie

I'm sure this has been repeated but anyway I went to the Dr a few weeks ago knowing something was wrong...I havent had BV in approx 6 yrs, but back then it took a few months to clear up (it was discharge with no smell). This time It came on suddenly, one of those mornings I woke up and knew it (haha 'cept this time it was the strong fishy smell, no discharge!!). Doc said I had an infection and a UTI, and gave me CIPRO (2x a day for 5 days), Fluco, and Vandazole. After a week, all my symptoms were gone, and I went back for another pee test and everything came up normal! Exactly a week after that, within 3 hours of waking up and going to work, it all came back with a vengeance! Doc said it my balance is out of whack, and it might keep happening with the prescriptions. But now Im on oral metronidazole and a double dose of fluco. Argh!

Ive been taking one acidophillus pill a day, but I kept reading about Fem-D on this site, so I ordered it from iherb for next day delivery; any dosage suggestions? Im determined to regain my balance!

This is driving me crazy!

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 29 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #917

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 29 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Not great, unfortunately. Discharge is watery, almost a chemical smell - I've noticed that before though, a bit like the smell of perming solution that hairdressers use.

I'm taking an acidophillus with rhamnosus in, which I bought because it's the closest thing to FemD in terms of acidophilus strains I've found. But it doesn't have the reuteri strain that FemD has, you just can't get that strain in the UK.

So, I'm disheartened about the Balance Activ not working beyond using it. It definitely worked during that week but for some reason my body couldn't sustain it. I'm very healthy in every other way, eat loads of raw veg and fruits, not much sugar.

I have another week's worth of Balance Activ in my cupboard, and plan to use it when my period has been and gone (should be here now actually), but I'm going to alternate using that one night, then inserting a pro biotic yoghurt with the acidophilus capsule sprinkled in the next night, so it'll be a two week treatment. Then maybe a Balance Activ 1-2 times a week as maintainance, if it goes okay.

I plan to order FemD fro ebay too, just need to work out pricing.

If none of that works - then to the doctors.
How about you, Neptune, are you still using Balance Activ to maintain?

Oh that is a shame. I'm also finding that the results don't last long. When I was first on it it kept the symptoms away for sometimes up to 5 days, but a couple of times recently the discharge and smell have come back after 24 hours of using the gel.

I'm still using 2 tubes a week for maintenance though. It's an improvement if nothing else.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 29 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #918

BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Jan 28 2009, 10:16 PM) *
Grace, can I ask how your symptoms are after your course of Balance Activ?

Not great, unfortunately. Discharge is watery, almost a chemical smell - I've noticed that before though, a bit like the smell of perming solution that hairdressers use.

I'm taking an acidophillus with rhamnosus in, which I bought because it's the closest thing to FemD in terms of acidophilus strains I've found. But it doesn't have the reuteri strain that FemD has, you just can't get that strain in the UK.

So, I'm disheartened about the Balance Activ not working beyond using it. It definitely worked during that week but for some reason my body couldn't sustain it. I'm very healthy in every other way, eat loads of raw veg and fruits, not much sugar.

I have another week's worth of Balance Activ in my cupboard, and plan to use it when my period has been and gone (should be here now actually), but I'm going to alternate using that one night, then inserting a pro biotic yoghurt with the acidophilus capsule sprinkled in the next night, so it'll be a two week treatment. Then maybe a Balance Activ 1-2 times a week as maintainance, if it goes okay.

I plan to order FemD fro ebay too, just need to work out pricing.

If none of that works - then to the doctors.

How about you, Neptune, are you still using Balance Activ to maintain?

+Quote Post
wannaBfree
post Jan 28 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #919

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 27 2009, 02:55 PM) *
I'm assuming your Doctor will give you good advice on whether to put it in or not.

ok so can anyone help me out on this? Last Tuesday I went for my yearly exam. Had a pap and I spotted all of the next day. 2 days after is when I noticed the BV. I never had the fishy smell. I always get this sour kinda odor. I did 3 nights of the metrogel and it won't go away. Does my period coming any day now have anything to do with it? I was fine up until the pap.

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 28 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #920

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 24 2009, 09:57 PM) *
Yeah for me BA is Balance Activ, not Boric Acid - should have clarified that. I've never tried Boric Acid, scares me a bit. And I don't think you can get in the UK (like so many bloddy things - I think there must be tighter regulations on chemicals and supplements here).

Lori - yeah, I did look into mfc10's tip-off about OMBE but there's nothing at all online about it.

Grace, can I ask how your symptoms are after your course of Balance Activ?

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 26, 2014 - 03:24 PM