Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

33 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HPV and STDs
chani
post May 16 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #601

Hardcore BUSTie

bklynhermit: Although the high risk strains of HPV can definitely be passed on to female partners, the whole point of having paps and HPV testing done is that if someone did acquire the high risk virus and it did cause mild cellular changes (dysplasia), they could be treated early and PREVENT cancer. The risk of progressing to cancer if you're having regular paps is waaay less than 1%. I'll also say that in Canada they did a big study of sexually active women and over 60% of them were positive for HPV. So most of us have it, it never causes us problems and it goes away on its own. Your partner probably already has it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mela
post May 16 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #602

BUSTie

Thanks bklynhermit. I asked my doctor and she says no however I never had this issue before. Doctors don't know everything.

aes5j I think maybe it took some time for the cells to develop. My doctor says that it doesn't show right away (the HPV virus). I don't see much information on this HPV topic. I had my colposcopy last thursday and am now waiting for the results. You might have had it very, very mild and it didn't pick up on your last pap. I really wish I had a better answer for you. I am just frustrated that HPV and BV are things that doctors know very little about. Also when you had your last pap where you having unprotected sex? where you on birth control pills? There are many things that might come into play in determining when you might have contracted it. Perhaps your immune system has been low lately or perhaps you might have been on bc pills that were creating some sort of deficency. Being that I was a virgin when I contracted it my doctor says it is from my bf however she also says for some women it takes years to show. She also said you may even be able to get it from sex with a condom. They don't even know for sure. I wouldn't beat your bf up over this if he is a good guy. You might have been carrying this for a while and just didn't know till yor last pap. I am 25 nd my doctor says it could clear in a few months to even 5 years. They really don't know much.

+Quote Post
tatiana
post May 16 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #603

BUSTie

aes5j, my understanding is that the timeline is not that tight. I think you can be infected for a long time and then other factors (stress, poor nutrition, phase of the moon, who knows what) can allow abnormal cells to arise. Anyway, I will try to remember to ask my bf (used to work in cancer research) about it.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't think this is cause to believe that your bf has been cheating on you. You should ask your doc next time you see her/him. It's a legitimate question, and definitely worth asking a professional to put your mind at ease.

+Quote Post
aes5j
post May 16 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #604

i just found out from my doctor that i have dysplasia (probably moderate) and so i have to have a colposcopy. she said that this is probably the result of a previous infection (i'm assuming HPV). here's the thing: i've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half, i had my last annual just under a year ago and the pap came back normal. i haven't had sex with anyone but him since we started dating and now i'm wondering if he gave me HPV recently which would mean he's been sleeping with someone else. does anyone know the timeline on this stuff? might i have had HPV before my last pap and it cleared itself up but then came back and caused this? any help/advice is much appreciated

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 16 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #605

Hardcore BUSTie

my understanding, which could easily be wrong, was that the genital wart strains are no/lo risk for cervical cancer, whereas if you have cervical lesions or abnormalities that's the high risk cancer strain (which is unlikely to also involve warts).

of course, however, there are something like 100 possible strains of HPV. and the more i read, the more it seems like virtually no research has been done on any of them... :-(

mela - i feel like i've read that HPV can sometimes make one more suceptible to BV. i don't know how true that really is (see above about how little we know), and i definitely don't think HPV "causes" BV or anything like that. but there's no reason they couldn't simply co-occur.

+Quote Post
p_176
post May 16 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #606

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks roseviolet!!

littlemartha - basically any kind of hpv strain can turn into cancer. BUT in most cases of cancer, there are only a few hpv strains that are consistently found (i assume by hpv testing). therefore, in the strains that normally cause just genital warts (not cancer) - there are different strains that are consistently found.
make sense?

+Quote Post
littlemartha
post May 15 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #607

BUSTie

pixiedust- my ob told me that the cancer causing types of HPV are not known. how do you know that yours is the lowest? is that just not true?

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post May 15 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #608

Pacifism kicks ass!

Such good news, P! I guess congratulations are in order!

+Quote Post
mela
post May 15 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #609

BUSTie

I was a vigin when I met my boyfriend and soon after got on birth control. I have sine then contracted HPV. My doctor did a colposcopy last thurday so I am awaiting what's new. I havent had any exterior warts however I started noticing somethng was not right by a horrible smell that wouldn't go away. Since then I have been treated four times for BV. I asked my doctor if it is associated to HPV and she says "no." My question is has anyone else had this issue to BV abd HPV?

Thanks

+Quote Post
p_176
post May 15 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #610

Hardcore BUSTie

good news - i don't have to have a cone biopsy.
it's a start:-)

+Quote Post
saktii
post May 10 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #611

Hardcore BUSTie

even my MOTHER has it, and she's not exactly the sleeping around kind!

--------------------
[font=Comic Sans Ms][b][i]"I found God and all his devils inside her.."[color=#CC0000]

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 10 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #612

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

Yeah, sleeping with women would give it a whole other aspect. Most men are just carriers anyway and don't even have the warts so most don't really care. Especially since it is so common. After I had it about a year, the guy I was dateing(older guy) found out his ex wife has it(got it after they broke up)and his daughter has it. I know of at least three other people who have it. I would probably be more sqeeked out if I had the cancer causing kind. The doctor I went to told me I have the mildest form.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
saktii
post May 10 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #613

Hardcore BUSTie

well, I just found out and i'm in a new monogamous relationship. If I had to tell a new partner, I'd just lay the facts down for them. My current partner didn't seem to be fazed by it at all. I've spoken with alot of people, and the general consensus seems to be that men don't mind nearly as much as the women do (probably because they don't have to deal with the cervical cancer aspect).
Now, if I were sleeping with a woman, I would definitely be a little more concerned.

--------------------
[font=Comic Sans Ms][b][i]"I found God and all his devils inside her.."[color=#CC0000]

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 9 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #614

Hardcore BUSTie

i don't want to feel all obsessive and weird, but i found out i have HPV because i have the kind tha leads to cancer (and now have to go in for a biopsy). i guess if it was just the wart kind, i'd be more chill, but the idea of basically giving someone cancer squicks me out. especially since i'm bi, and a lot of times i'm sleeping with women. it would be WEIRD to look someone in the face who i was about to sleep with without telling them about the HPV, knowing that they could die of cervical cancer years down the line and it would basically be my fault. i guess with men it's less transparent -- we don't like to think about our partners' future (or current) other partners, and there you add a whole other level of responsibility, the guy's to his other partners. so i feel like, with women at least, i'm going to have to talk about it.

+Quote Post
johanna
post May 9 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #615

BUSTie

Saktii - so how does it go when you tell new partners? Do you have a way to tell them that seems to work best?

+Quote Post
saktii
post May 9 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #616

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, i guess for me it's just soooo not a big deal that I don't have that much to add. It's such a common thing, I feel like putting too much emphasis on it actually is counter-productive. It would be like me obsessively feeling shame and guilt and worry over acne, or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
johanna
post May 9 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #617

BUSTie

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Anyone else have stuff to add? Everyone seems to quiet on the matter.

+Quote Post
fuego_lento
post May 7 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #618

Hardcore BUSTie

I've only had one person react badly to the news. The others have taken it in varying degrees of pretty well, which, now that I think about it, corresponds to how well they know me as a person.

Where I might've let things proceed physically at a faster rate back in the day, I've become really big on making out (and keeping at least my underwear on) until I feel like I can gauge the person's reaction to my news. If I don't feel like he can handle it, I make my excuses and disappear.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 6 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #619

Hardcore BUSTie

I haven't had to deal with it, yet. But i'm single, and in the past i've had a lot of casual relationships and, yes, casual sex.

which I kind of realize now I can't so much do anymore. In fact, since I realize I've probably had several partners since I contracted HPV, it really freaks me out to think that I've passed it along to as many as 7 people before I found out.

Besides taking this as a SERIOUS warning about all the casual sex, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about it. In an ideal world, I'll tell new partners as they come, and those partners will be OK with it and we'll use protection to the extent that it's possible and move on. Then there's my worst fears - that I'll never have sex again because it will disgust any potential partner. My tendency to fuck first and get to know you later is a problem too -- I'm going to have to completely rethink how I approach relationships. And since I get the feeling that fuck first and ask later is the norm in my circle, I'm not sure what that will mean.

+Quote Post
johanna
post May 6 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #620

BUSTie

Hi everyone,

What have your experiences been like telling new partners about having HPV? I have been in a relationship for the last year, and my partner has it. He told me before we started having sex, and after I did research (and realized it was overwhelmingly likely that I would contract it anyway at some point in my life), I was fine with having sex with him. I wanted to break the stupid taboo that says you can get warts on your hands and feet, but it's something else entirely to have them on your crotch.

Anyway, fast forward one year and I'm not sure I want to be in this relationship anymore. All this time, I didn't care about HPV. (I had one outbreak, and got it blasted with liquid nitrogen, and finally got it resolved. Nothing since.) Now, all of a sudden, I feel like I have this ball and chain attaching me to him. I want to be single again and see other people, but now I feel like I have to be so careful, because what will they say?

My thoughts when I contracted it were that I had no interest in casual relationships. I though that whoever really cared for me woulnd't care. Now I just want to have fun, and feel like I can't. I worry that they will freak out and think it's not worth it for something so casual. Or worse, that they will tell other people and there'll be that taboo again, right in my face.

So, I want to know how you guys have dealt with this experience. Please share your thoughts!

+Quote Post

33 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 28, 2014 - 03:58 PM