The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 61 62 63 64 65 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
ginger_kitty
post Mar 18 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #1241

Hardcore BUSTie

I think empire lines are cute. But I rarely ever find one that looks right on my body type.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 18 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #1242

Hardcore BUSTie

I hate the empire line, as a rather well endowed curvaceous babe I can never get my tits to fit.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 17 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #1243

Most Likely Procrastinating

there were a hell of a lot of cof's at southbysouthwest, considering everyone is either a: drunk, b: crashing on someone's couch and living out of a carry-on bag for a week, b: an insufferable hipster, or c: musician with a "wild and crazy" reputation to uphold (aka, "put on a top already, har mar superstar, yes your back hair is ironic but please", or "must you really wear a shirt with your own name printed on it, andrew w.k.?")

the worst i saw was this one girl who had dressed entirely in layers (and it was HOT that day, too, she must've been incredibly uncomfortable). top half: scarf, blazer over vest over tunic. bottom half: aforementioned tunic over short shorts over tights with kneesocks worn over and then knee high boots. i mean, really? when it's 80 degrees out and not even 50% of the layers are actually serving any function other than making you look insane???

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 17 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #1244

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

double post of a sort...

fat man, hairy, sides of his head shaved, the rest in a nasty ponytail... bad facial hair (and otherwise unshaven), dirty long leather trenchcoat. hairy forearms and tats that just looked... wrong. Black trousers belted over his belly so that they dug into his rolls.

black t-shirt, home-painted with the words "you say i'm a pervert like i'm a bad thing" tucked into said trousers.

talking loudly on the phone. i wanted to strangle him, and then force him to dress... well, in anything but that.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 16 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #1245

i don't like philip green. didn't the article say something about stuart rose, who now heads m&s... and they seem to be getting better and better, both in terms of price and quality.

I think to pull off empire line, you have to be fairly well-endowed in the boob line, and curves definitely help.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 16 2007, 05:17 AM
Post #1246

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Interesting article; the quality, range and value for money has definitely gone down since.

Philip Green, the owner, bought over a retail chain whilst I was working there and the quality change in clothing was noticeable.

It saddens me about Topshop: it was one of the quirkiest of shops to shop in (still is, but too quirky now) although still best on the high-street for accessories. Trying to be more cutting edge is, in fact, alienating their custom-base.

eta: x-post with morn - thank you! I think empire line suits the curvier girl.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 16 2007, 05:16 AM
Post #1247

ooh, good point. I think also it's the whole "we're really popular, let's see if we can charge a bit more..." profit drive. like they're not making enough money already.

bun, you suit empire-line! And you have gorgeous taste in clothes! I just find empire lines give me a tummy where I don't want one, and make me look more bottom-heavy.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Mar 16 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #1248

it's cards on the table time

Didn't Top Shop change their top buyer? That might explain the increased prices and increasingly bewildering clothes...

I found the story here.

/ongoing derailment

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Mar 16 2007, 04:14 AM
Post #1249

Hardcore BUSTie

mornington, count yourself lucky. In my hometown I had a guy sans t-shirt. Its frickin march people! If I'm still wearing a coat then you can cope with some form of top ok?

As for topshop, why has it gone so expensive! Not that I like anything in there at the moment anyway...

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 15 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #1250

ah, I like empire line tops/dresses as they hide my tummy (I need that self-confidence boost just now).

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 15 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #1251

h&m has stolen my heart entirely. certainly away from topshop. although i prefer topshop for underwear, and thier jeans are quite good (but expensive for high street). i can't find a pair of jeans in h&m to fit me. dotty p and new look are getting quite good too (mm, new look shoes). although h&m have got some spectacularly fugly velour jumpsuits hanging around. it's not all good there.

syb, there is an american apparel in london now. i feel guilty wanting to shop in there, it's slightly too expensive for t-shirts (for me anyway. i have the same problem with gap, despite the whole pay-per-wear logic)

I am sick of empire-line gathered under the boob clothing; I have no desire to look pregnant, and while they look lovely on many girls, I am not one of them and I would like to find something to wear.

nothing to report except the usual camdenite hippy lot, and they're both antifashion and odd, but not criminal. Although with the return of these oddly warm temperatures, there seems to be a rash of people not wearing enough clothing. It might be warm, but it is not t-shirt warm, people.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Mar 15 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #1252

Hardcore BUSTie

A little off subject but....I heart H&M.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Mar 15 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #1253

it's cards on the table time

Thirding the disappointment in Top Shop. All their tops lately are either empire-line cut or just boxy, both of which are unflattering (for me, anyway). I picked up a couple of basic t-shirts but the rest left me cold, although I do still like their shoes.

I'm currently liking H&M and primark has some lovely short 60s cut jackets, and american apparel now sell online in europe...

/derailment

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 14 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #1254

they do indeed have some fugly articles of embarrassing entire, although they do still have some lovely things. It seems to have grown less high-street and mainstream and become less cool and more tailored to people who have no taste in clothes and should all go on an island with their boiler suits and crotch AND rib inhibiting jeans and copulate amongst themselves* and never return.

*the in-breeding would make them duller of mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 14 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #1255

unfortunately, they're even uglier in real life. They look a bit like the boiler suit I wear when I do farm work...

topshop has started to get fuglier and fuglier. and it's expensive now.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 14 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #1256

I had banished those from my memory - they are vile, hideous things that must never be in my presence. Sometimes fashion scares me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Mar 14 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #1257

Hardcore BUSTie

Dear gawd bunnyb, I'm not sure if it is the jeans that are more disturbing or the link in the left hand side of the page for "playsuits" for grown women. ACK!!!!! They are only cute on persons under the age of 10.

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 14 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #1258

Hardcore BUSTie

black velvet guachos with not one but two back pockets

blue jeans with a brown jeans skirt over them and a forest green t-shirt

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 14 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #1259

sweet maude. urgh.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 14 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #1260

seen today on an actual living person: these jeans.

WHY? oh maude WHY? In no way whatsoever are these flattering or sexy or anything other than WRONG!

/cleans eyes out with bleach

--------------------

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 61 62 63 64 65 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 18, 2014 - 02:28 AM