The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oprah: She'll Cut A Bitch..., oprah and related shows get busted!
raisingirl
post Sep 20 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #41

PANTIES! ew.

I think that's how she normally sounds now.

I MISSED A GOLDEN MIC?!?!?! And a Bump-It? Oh wow. Look what we're all missing! I don't have DVR or any other way to record shows.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Sep 19 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #42

Pacifism kicks ass!

I saw both parts. For me the most shocking thing was just listening to Whitney's voice as she spoke. I'm hoping she was getting over a bad cold because, damn, she sounded awful.

On Friday, Oprah's show was broadcast from Central Park in NYC. The woman was holding a gold mic the whole time and I swear to god she was wearing a Bump-It in her hair. This amused me far more than it probably should.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Sep 19 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #43

brown delicious

Whitney was pretty candid about her drug use. It was odd hearing Whitney explain to Oprah about freebasing. blink.gif

ETA: I am watching the second half of her interview. Plus, I have to catch up with a whole week of Oprah I DVR'd.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Sep 19 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #44

PANTIES! ew.

I didn't watch the Whitney interview. Who did? How was it?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 14 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #45

Big Fat Bitch

SON OF A BITCH! Today's Oprah was pre-empted by motherfucking TENNIS. Thank maud it comes on twice!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Sep 14 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #46

the moistiest

ooo raisin i'm scouring the net for the full interview and only coming up with clips. i need to see this shit.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Sep 10 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #47

PANTIES! ew.

Crack is whack! That was the best trainwreck interview ever (a link to the first part).

OMG... mere DAYS away. I can't say that I'm all that excited about it, but I will probably watch it if I'm home.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 20 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #48

brown delicious

Oprah's new season starts Sept. 14th. Can't wait to dish about her show. Also, Whitney Houston is scheduled to be interviewed on Oprah's show this season in support of her big comeback. Let's hope Whitney will give us some good one liners like her Diane Sawyer interview when she declared crack is whack as she was sweating up a storm from hitting the pipe too much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jun 16 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

I believe Oprah's Decor magazine (O at Home) was stopped just because Oprah found it a more successful formula to promote individual publications "hosted" by a figure she's made popular--such as Rachel Ray or the " inhouse" designers she always has making guest appearances on her show (such as Tom Filicia, Nate Berkus, etc). Each of those people she made more well known could generate a lot more advertising income with their own individual publications or TV show specials than just a single magazine featuring her own home mirroring their ideas and sales pitches.

Before Oprah and Rosie put themselves on every cover, there was Martha Stewart, the original media maven. Martha stopped putting her image on her magazines the minute she faced criminal charges--a wise decision on her part since she knows very well how to eliminate the bad press so that it doesn't taint the product she's selling. They all learned from her--but Oprah's celebrity making machine allowed her to adapt Martha's template to be even more "successful" in terms of generating ad revenue (Martha's TV presence followed her catering and publishing success, while Rosie and Oprah both followed up TV success with multimedia business ventures, Rosie in a much more limited way. Still, you can see which form of media grants the most power).

On "that other topic", Oprah drinking diet Coke and Oprah hating herself for being her body's set weight and Oprah spreading that hate--I loved that link to Kate Harding's very clear article, by the way--Oprah does indeed show us ourselves, in a way. That struggle with weight gain and loss--when she is so clearly demonstrating that dieting/weight loss/forced starvation do not work and the body whole heartedly works against your efforts--it's still one people stubbornly refuse to understand even though the human body demonstrates so flawlessly and so clearly its effects. Despite all her wealth and experience, including the experience she continues to live out in her own skin, she's still brainwashed into believing she's immoral for being fat. Every woman in our culture has this steadfast, fixed idea in mind, despite what we all know to be true, and whether we are fat or thin or inbetween. I'd go further to say we're brainwashed continuously to believe that our bodies are immoral just because they're female, but that's another argument (and Naomi Wolf articulated that one in The Beauty Myth).

So misguided and stupid, and yet--she could use her very effective media power to alter that brainwashing campaign head on. Very sad, and yet incredibly revealing to see her avoid the truth (yet publicize it unwittingly) using the media she creates.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 15 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #50

PANTIES! ew.

ahahaha, Sassy! I fucking love it! So wish I could have been a fly on the wall backstage!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jun 15 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #51

sassygrrl

I heard on Jillian's podcast that Bob saw Oprah drinking a Diet Coke, and said something of the affect of Did Bob Greene know that you're drinking that? Oprah went completely silent, and Jillian said the look she gave him was pretty fierce.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 15 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #52

PANTIES! ew.

TOTALLY. I saw the recent rerun of the Biggest Loser people on her show, some of the past contestants and the trainers Bob & Jillian. It seemed to me that Oprah couldn't even LOOK Jillian in the eye (and Jillian overcame her own weight & food problems when she was a teenager), yet she was "bonding" with Bob over Southern home cooking. I was all, REALLY? Really. EYE. ROLL! That show could have been SO MUCH BETTER, but with Oprah at the helm, I was just left wanting more depth and honesty.

I really like Suze. I think her PBS specials get rolled out around pledge time. Doesn't she have a weekly show on CNBC? Pretty sure she does. Lots of Suze to go around. Her books are awesome, too.

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jun 15 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #53

Pacifism kicks ass!

QUOTE(kittenb @ Jun 15 2009, 08:17 AM) *
I think that sometimes Oprah gets so caught up in her own unresolved victim issues that her anger spills out on other victims.

I've definitely seen that, too. Even when she doesn't say anything, sometimes you can see her struggling with her own issues in her eyes. Like if she's doing a show about weight loss & they bring out people who've lost 150 pounds and now they're wearing tiny little clothes. Oprah's enthusiasm always seems tempered. You can tell the show is making her feel worse about her own body.

Stargazer, I watched that Suze Orman show on PBS, too. At first I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder ("Why is she doing a show just for women? What the hell?!") but as I started to watch it, she said some really smart things. I liked her 8 qualities of a wealthy woman. Lately I've been thinking a lot about what she says about courage. She said that action makes fear go away - not just thoughts and hopes. Fear tends to paralyze us or makes us run away, but she said, "Don't turn your back on the battlefield!" Do something that gets you closer to that goal. Fight for it. Easier said than done, of course, but it really resonated with me.

ETA: I found a website that gives a basic run-down of Suze's 8 qualities of a wealthy woman. It isn't as good as hearing her explain it herself, but it's still interesting.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 15 2009, 09:37 AM
Post #54

brown delicious

QUOTE(kittenb @ Jun 15 2009, 07:17 AM) *
I think that sometimes Oprah gets so caught up in her own unresolved victim issues that her anger spills out on other victims.

I totally agree.

I was watching my nieces last Friday and my friend has no cable (a crime I know). I came across Suze Orman's Women & Money on PBS. I will say that I was extremely impressed with the part of the show I did see. It was titled "Say Your Name." Don't start singing Destiny Child now. She mentioned that when women are asked their name. They will follow up the question with "You mean my married, my maiden name, or my divorced name." She mentioned that men do not have this dilemma. They know who they are. I may be missing pieces here and there. But, she went on to say that as women we really struggle with taking credit for our work and our worth which I think is so true. I think, even with feminism, women look down on ambition, competition, and success. Those are things men want, not women. It really annoys me. I think that type of thinking contributes to the whole dichotomy of the madonna/whore complex. I think I should stop my rant now. I just wanted to mention Orman's show. I might have to check out this show sometime in the future so I can have an opinion about the show.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 15 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #55

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

There was that episode a few years ago about people with hoarding problems where Oprah just humiliated some poor guest whose house was a mess- she'd gotten divorced, lost her job, etc. in a short span of time and just fell into a deep depression and let it all go (she probably had some hoarding tendencies before all of that happened, too.) Oprah just ripped into her right on the show. I remember hearing that a lot of people wrote angry letters, saying that Oprah crossed the line. I think Oprah did apologize publicly for it.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 15 2009, 07:17 AM
Post #56

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

One time I saw Oprah's show (years ago, whilst I was a teenager) and she was just being vicious to a young girl who was on the programme. Horrid. Cannot remember exactly why, now, but it was uncalled-for. Some kind of "tough love" shit, I think, because the girl was overweight.

Yes, she can be mean. Everytime I watch an episode that I enjoy, I remember this episode that made me so upset I didn't watch her for over a year. She had a young woman on who had been kidnapped and held by this man for a year and a half. He used her as a sex slave. When he was done with her, he drove her to her home and told her if she ever said anything, he would come back and kill her. She was a teenager when all of this happened and he had made her write letters to her family saying that she had run away. The girl & her mom decided not to tell anyone.
Well, the man kidnapped another woman and held her for several months. Oprah asked the 1st girl (who was still clearly traumatized by her experience) whether or not she (the vic) realized that if she had gone to the cops, the other woman would not have been taken. Total victim blaming BS!

I used to work with a sexual assault counselor who would not let her clients watch Oprah while they were working together. She said that they had enough work to do w/o trying to undo Oprah. I think that sometimes Oprah gets so caught up in her own unresolved victim issues that her anger spills out on other victims.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jun 14 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #57

Pacifism kicks ass!

Raisin, I had completely forgotten about the Rosie magazine. I wonder if it came out before or after Oprah's magazine was launched.

Did you all know that Oprah also had a home decorating magazine? "Had" being the operative word here; it hasn't been published since last year I think. I didn't buy the magazine so I'm not sure about this, but I don't think she appeared on the cover. Maybe that's why it failed! wink.gif

+Quote Post
thirteen
post Jun 13 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #58

BUSTie

QUOTE(roseviolet @ Jun 12 2009, 06:07 AM) *
Actually, I think it makes perfect sense that they put Oprah on the cover every month. Oprah is the product that is being sold by her corporation. People buy the magazine because it is the Oprah magazine. The articles on the inside are probably very similar to what you'll find in every other suburban-mom-focused magazine out there, so they have to focus on the one selling point that will attract people and make this particular magazine stand out. Oprah is the biggest asset of the Oprah empire, so of course they're going to take full advantage of that. It's just smart marketing. Besides, if you don't like Oprah, you're not going to buy her magazine whether she appears on the cover or not. The marketing department isn't worried about that demographic. They're focused on getting the attention of the millions and millions of people out there who already like Oprah.

roseviolet, I completely agree-- what I was trying to say (and not very well, obviously!) is... the whole idea that someone can get her own magazine and have that kind of power in the first place is ridiculous-- mostly because she is not very original and also quite mean. Really that is my main complaint. One time I saw Oprah's show (years ago, whilst I was a teenager) and she was just being vicious to a young girl who was on the programme. Horrid. Cannot remember exactly why, now, but it was uncalled-for. Some kind of "tough love" shit, I think, because the girl was overweight.

Strangely, I actually bought a copy of Oprah's magazine once-- out of sheer curiosity-- and it was pretty much a load of rubbish. Trees died for that crap to be published so that Oprah can become even more wealthy.

I also believe that even though the magazine is clearly designed for Oprah's loyal followers, featuring someone else on the cover (maybe someone that Oprah finds inspirational) would be a good idea.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jun 13 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #59

PANTIES! ew.

Yup, it is all about the branding. (BTW, Didn't Rosie O'Donnell do that with her magazine, too? She may not have been on it every month, but most months she was on her own cover.)

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jun 12 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #60

Pacifism kicks ass!

Actually, I think it makes perfect sense that they put Oprah on the cover every month. Oprah is the product that is being sold by her corporation. People buy the magazine because it is the Oprah magazine. The articles on the inside are probably very similar to what you'll find in every other suburban-mom-focused magazine out there, so they have to focus on the one selling point that will attract people and make this particular magazine stand out. Oprah is the biggest asset of the Oprah empire, so of course they're going to take full advantage of that. It's just smart marketing. Besides, if you don't like Oprah, you're not going to buy her magazine whether she appears on the cover or not. The marketing department isn't worried about that demographic. They're focused on getting the attention of the millions and millions of people out there who already like Oprah.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: December 20, 2014 - 03:25 AM