The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I need the Morning After Pill?
skippyfox
post Jul 10 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Hi. I just read through some of these posts and I kind of have a similar problem. I know it is probably silly of me but I am REALLY paranoid. A few nights ago my boyfriend fingered me and I think he had sperm on his fingers. The next day, I got my period so I figured it was okay... but it was really light. I was still really worried so I took the morning after pill that same day, and it caused my menstruation to stop. Is that normal? Is there a chance i could be pregnant?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Dec 6 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, this realllly pisses me off. i have a friend who got pregnant when she was on the pill, because she was taking some sort of medication that the dr. told her would NOT interfere at all-later she finds out that it does reduce the effectiveness of the pill. she ended up having the baby, marrying the father, they are ok now but it was a really horrible thing and very stressful. she also has bipolar, and a degenerative eye disease, so an unplanned pregnancy was a HUGE thing.

grrr to bad doctors sad.gif

runnergirl-i'm so impressed by your caution, that's so awesome! i know what you mean about being paranoid-tha'ts why i finally got an iud because i just was too worried about missing a pill, etc. but tha'ts so great that you are being so responsible about sex!

+Quote Post
runnergirl
post Dec 4 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #3

BUSTie

Thank you so much...I'll try to relax! Its my finals week!

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Dec 4 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey runner. I can see why you'd be freaked out, and it's great to be safe not sorry, but I think you're fine. A doc once told me that the interaction between bc and antibiotics was "theoretical". Another explained that yes, there is some minimal interaction, but it only *reduces* the effectiveness of bc somewhat, it doesn't negate it. Also, they say that the interaction only happens during the first week starting the antibiotic, and the first week of being off it. (So if you're still freaked out, I'd stop taking the antibiotic for the next 2 days, before you get a high level of it in your system.)

You should be fine. Try to relax (I know it's tough!).

Still, it is irresponsible of your doctor to not give you the full information. The first doc to put me on antibiotics for acne did not tell me about the interaction either. It should be standard operating procedure to tell young women about this shit (eg, assume we're on the pill instead of assuming we're not!) and save us the worry.

+Quote Post
runnergirl
post Dec 3 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #5

BUSTie

Hey ladies! I have a question. Alright, I'm on the pill and my boyfriend and I always use condoms when we have sex as well, because we want to be safe...and also because I had several close friends get pregnant in high school and I'm paranoid. So my dermatologist put me on a new pill called Oreaca for acne, which she told me was an anti-infammatory and not an anti-biotic, so that way I could stay on it an extended period of time and it wouldnt hurt my body or I wouldn't grow immune to it like an anti-biotic. She really made a big deal out of it not being an anti-biotic. I started taking it on Thursday. Friday the boy and I were feeling frisky but we were fresh out of condoms. So we 69'd and I came first. When I moved up to kiss him we decided to put him in me for just a second to see what it was like without condoms. I didnt think much of it because I was on the pill. I know that he had some pre-cum because I had tasted it. Then I finished him off in my mouth... Two hours later we were fooling around and he was putting it around down there....but I made him use a condom. Then I get the drug facts on Saturday...( because I had been taking sample pills) and they said all over it that Oreaca IS an ANTI-BIOTIC. I know that decreases the effectivenes of the pill...and I know he didn't come in me. I also only had taken 2 pills of the anti-biotic. Do you think I'm ok? Its just that there was possibly no pill and no barrier! I know this probably sounds crazy...but I feel like I was lied to by my doctor..and well could have easily let him finish in me that night..which would be REALLY scary!

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 30 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #6

BUSTie

WOMEN!

The FDA has approved Plan B for over-the-counter sales - so it will be available without a prescription! Do you know how much ANXIETY, worry, running from pharmacy to pharmacy, and money this would've saved me a few weeks ago!

Article

Here is the official FDA announcement:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
P06-118
August 24, 2006
Media Inquiries:
Julie Zawisza, 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Approves Over-the-Counter Access for Plan B for Women 18 and Older
Prescription Remains Required for Those 17 and Under

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today announced approval of Plan B, a contraceptive drug, as an over-the-counter (OTC) option for women aged 18 and older. Plan B is often referred to as emergency contraception or the "morning after pill." It contains an ingredient used in prescription birth control pills--only in the case of Plan B, each pill contains a higher dose and the product has a different dosing regimen. Like other birth control pills, Plan B has been available to all women as a prescription drug. When used as directed, Plan B effectively and safely prevents pregnancy. Plan B will remain available as a prescription-only product for women age 17 and under.

Duramed, a subsidiary of Barr Pharmaceuticals, will make Plan B available with a rigorous labeling, packaging, education, distribution and monitoring program. In the CARE (Convenient Access, Responsible Education) program Duramed commits to:

Provide consumers and healthcare professionals with labeling and education about the appropriate use of prescription and OTC Plan B, including an informational toll-free number for questions about Plan B;
Ensure that distribution of Plan B will only be through licensed drug wholesalers, retail operations with pharmacy services, and clinics with licensed healthcare practitioners, and not through convenience stores or other retail outlets where it could be made available to younger women without a prescription;
Packaging designed to hold both OTC and prescription Plan B. Plan B will be stocked by pharmacies behind the counter because it cannot be dispensed without a prescription or proof of age; and
Monitor the effectiveness of the age restriction and the safe distribution of OTC Plan B to consumers 18 and above and prescription Plan B to women under 18.
Today's action concludes an extensive process that included obtaining expert advice from a joint meeting of two FDA advisory committees and providing an opportunity for public comment on issues regarding the scientific and policy questions associated with the application to switch Plan B to OTC use. Duramed's application raised novel issues regarding simultaneously marketing both prescription and non-prescription Plan B for emergency contraception, but for different populations, in a single package.

The agency remains committed to a careful and rigorous scientific process for resolving novel issues in order to fulfill its responsibility to protect the health of all Americans.

For more information on Plan B and today's action, please see: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/planB/default.htm.

####

+Quote Post
dynamitedamsel
post Aug 15 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

QUOTE(ericamamerica @ Aug 10 2006, 10:54 PM) *

blink.gif Ugh . . . guys hate it when girls "need to talk" - but it definitely goes the other way around! I hate hearing those words. My stomach just drops when I hear them! It sounds funny, but I hope you are having a good, strong period so there isn't a chance of a baby!

Mine isn't due for another two weeks.

Yeah, well it really was nothing negitive...he just wanted to appoligize for not returning my call as he was so stressed about his divorce and the custody issue that , well, in his words, I just didn't want to involve you in all that shit. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious and I told him to never use those words so casually again because they scare the living hell from me. Ok, my period wasn't too heavy, and I'm thinking about taking a pregnancy test if I'm even a day late for September. I know there are the early detection ones but how early can you take them?

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 13 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #8

BUSTie

Just popping in here again to add . . .

That I hate stupid Plan B. Yes, it may have saved me from an unplanned pregnancy, but I've had some irritating after-effects from the hormone jump it caused.

Soon after taking it, I was very sleepy and my boobs got sore. Two days after I took it, on the day I was supposed to ovulate (according to cycle trends), I had barely-there cramps and started bleeding. That was on Thursday. Today is Sunday and I'm still bleeding moderate to heavy - and my period was not even due until August 24th. Who knows when it'll show up now. My boobs are sore, and I'm BLOATED BLOATED BLOATED. I'm so ANGRY because I am bloated. It makes me feel so freakin' fat.

At least I know I'm not preggie, though. That would be impossible.

So I just wanted to warn anybody who reads this thread because they are considering taking it, that it may cause more irregular bleeding than the prescribing information describes.

It may just be me though, as I always have been highly sensitive to birth control pills. I become very bloated with some types of birth control. I tried a few different kinds of pills and the patch before I finally tried NuvaRing, which was the only method that didn't make me so dang bloated.

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 10 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #9

BUSTie

QUOTE(dynamitedamsel @ Aug 10 2006, 02:47 AM) *

Well anyway I am supposed to be meeting CR tomorrow because "we need to talk" according to him about nothing negitive. I am still a tad worried though because that sppech in my mind has never been good.

blink.gif Ugh . . . guys hate it when girls "need to talk" - but it definitely goes the other way around! I hate hearing those words. My stomach just drops when I hear them! It sounds funny, but I hope you are having a good, strong period so there isn't a chance of a baby!

Mine isn't due for another two weeks.

+Quote Post
dynamitedamsel
post Aug 9 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #10

BUSTie

Thanks Tatiana and E. The reassurance you gave me was just great, and I needed that. It's good to know there are some people still left that are willing to awnser my silly questions without passing judgement. I know I was also pissed with the attitude I recieved, but hey what can you do? At least I know that I did the right thing and took responsibility for my irrseponsible actions, and to me that's all that counts. It doesn't matter what the snotty pharmasist who is turning her nose up thinks. Well anyway I am supposed to be meeting CR tomorrow because "we need to talk" according to him about nothing negitive. I am still a tad worried though because that sppech in my mind has never been good.

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 9 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #11

BUSTie

QUOTE(dynamitedamsel @ Aug 9 2006, 03:09 AM) *

Thanks so much for your support...wow that sounds corney but I so just needed to say that. I never did find anywhere that provides the plan B, I know there's a planned parenthood but, I wasn't open before my 72 hours were up...God, I could just cry right now. I'm not sure exactly what my chances even are...I got my period the day after? Plus, when we spoke today I could tell he wasn't himself (the Ex is starting shit again) and then we never went out like we were supposed to. I have to call him tomorrow, hopefully things will be calmer by then, I'm not going to mention anything until I'm sure. Plus, what are the chances, is it possible to get pregnant and then get your period the next day? I know, I know I feel so stupid for my mistake and for asking that question; but I've never heard anything about it being possible/not possible.

I was also wandering if I can still go to planned parenthood, get the script and fill it just to have on hand. It's not that I'm worried about making another bad judement call, but, what if my main form of contraception fails? Wouldn't it just be nice to have it.

There aren't any "offical" results, but the EC has been succesful when taken up to five days (120 hours) past unprotected intercourse. Since you DID get your period the very next day, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that you will get pregnant. Of course there are always the exceptions in which a woman conceives during her period, but that is TOTALLY more the exception than the rule. I really do not feel that you have anything to worry about. The way hormones work when you get your period is based partly on the disinigration of the egg. Also, when the uterus is shedding the lining, it is next to impossible for a fertilized egg to implant. (Again, there are rare, RARE exceptions.)

Because you started your period the next day, you're in the clear, I can guarantee that to you with near-100% certainty. It IS still a good idea to get a Plan B Rx just in case. When my doctor called-in an Rx for me, she put one refill down. I may get it filled and keep it around as a spare, but I absolutely do not think I will ever get myself into such a situation again. The stress was incredible.

I feel as normal as can be right now. After all I've read, although Plan B isn't as effective as BC, but it still is pretty dang effective. I'm positive I'll get my next period when it's due.

-E

(I'm still pissed by the fact that Plan B is so difficult to obtain, and by some pharmacist's attitudes. That sickens me. I hope this changes in the future.)

+Quote Post
tatiana
post Aug 9 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #12

BUSTie

QUOTE(dynamitedamsel @ Aug 8 2006, 09:09 PM) *

I'm not sure exactly what my chances even are...I got my period the day after?
Plus, what are the chances, is it possible to get pregnant and then get your period the next day? I know, I know I feel so stupid for my mistake and for asking that question; but I've never heard anything about it being possible/not possible.

I was also wandering if I can still go to planned parenthood, get the script and fill it just to have on hand. It's not that I'm worried about making another bad judement call, but, what if my main form of contraception fails? Wouldn't it just be nice to have it.

I would think your chances are about as close to zero as you can get. I used NFP for my BC which means you keep track of when you are and are not fertile. The safe period (which varies and is why you have chart) is at least 5 days before and three days after you get your period. It varies of course so you couldn't use that as a hard and fast rule (in case anyone is tempted to try), but I would think if you got your period the next day, you are way past ovulation and couldn't get pregnant.

+Quote Post
dynamitedamsel
post Aug 8 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

QUOTE(greenbean @ Aug 7 2006, 01:58 PM) *

Wow, erica, your story sounds a lot like mine. I was on BC for ages then stopped after a long-term relationship had ended. The next time I had sex I totally forgot I was off bc and drunkenly, stupidly, went unprotected (I had been so used to condem-less sex, condoms just werent on my mind).
Luckily, after several phone calls, I found a pharm that sells Plan B. I wanted to kiss those pharmacists!

Good luck erica and dynamite! Dont let those holier-than-thou snots bother you! If anyone gives you shit give em shit back.

Thanks so much for your support...wow that sounds corney but I so just needed to say that. I never did find anywhere that provides the plan B, I know there's a planned parenthood but, I wasn't open before my 72 hours were up...God, I could just cry right now. I'm not sure exactly what my chances even are...I got my period the day after? Plus, when we spoke today I could tell he wasn't himself (the Ex is starting shit again) and then we never went out like we were supposed to. I have to call him tomorrow, hopefully things will be calmer by then, I'm not going to mention anything until I'm sure. Plus, what are the chances, is it possible to get pregnant and then get your period the next day? I know, I know I feel so stupid for my mistake and for asking that question; but I've never heard anything about it being possible/not possible.

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 8 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #14

BUSTie

I ended up taking them 12 hours apart, as directed. Done and over with. Sigh. The first one was taken about 53 hours after sex. Second one was taken 65 hours after. Should work.

The only thing last thing on my mind is that I usually know when I ovulate (becaues of the egg-white stretchy CM) (sorry if TMI) I had that the day I was with him - and in copious amounts when we started fooling around. But maybe that was just arousal? OH who knows. Well, at least it is, as I said before, done and over with. Never going to make that same mistake again. Nooo way.

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 7 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

HAHA . . . "you owe me 30 bucks!"

Mine was $41.00. Honestly, on the way out of the pharmacy, I was thinking, "I should be charging for sex!"

Then I realized I sounded like a prostitute! And yes, it was my fault just as much. Guys pretty much clean up and that's that. It's us women who have to run around like chickens with their heads cut off for days (or weeks if you're waiting) afterwards. Geesh.

My Rx packet says to take them 12 hrs apart, but even the sexy pharmacist started to say to take them together. I have read that it's just as effective taken together. I took my first dose at 6:30 pm. Think I should go for the second and get this shit over with?!

-E

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Aug 7 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah Erica! Take both pills at once, my pharmacist said its safe and will be more effective, especially since youre at the two day mark.

I hear you about the anxiety! Eventhough things are faaaar better now that Plan B is more readily available, I dont think many women will use it as 'plan A' cuz it is so stressful! Man guys are so lucky. If only they knew what we went through after these spontaneous encounters. In fact, after my ordeal I really wanted to call the guy(that I slept w/) and say "you owe me $30!",..but then I realized I was just as irresponsible as he, so I cant play the blame game. Well, lesson learned! Carry condoms everywhere!

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 7 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #17

BUSTie

Well, my story ends here (hopefully . . . we'll see around the date of my next expected period, August 24th)

After waiting an hour for my doctor to call, I tried calling her but the women's health was closed for the day. And they never told me whether or not they phoned in my Rx. So I went to the clinic I had getthepill.com Rx sent to (the one where they couldn't fill the Rx b/c it wasn't by one of their doctors) and picked up the fax. I then went to Walgreens and gave the tech the fax, but she then informed me that my dr had called in.

And of course there had to be the hottest pharmacist there - to give me my prescription and explain how to take it. Geesh.

"Isn't it ironic . . . dontcha think . . . it's like raaaaiiin on your wedding day, it's a free ride when ya already paid, it's the hot pharmacist giving you Plan B . . ."

*Deep Breath* at least I have it. And I'll never get myself into this predicament again.
I'm off to go eat dinner and take dose #1 (I guess you should take it after food to avoid nausea.)

I'm here if anybody needs anyone to bounce anxiety off of.

-E

+Quote Post
ericamamerica
post Aug 7 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

I'm still working to get it at the moment. I'm at the 48-hour mark. I called a local medical clinic to try and get in, but they don't have any available appts ... and no matter how bad I need this, I'm not paying the $200.00 copay to go to the emergency room. I then called my regular doctor and was put through to her assistant and I left a message. She called me back right away, and said she was going to talk to my doctor to get her to phone in an Rx for me at the Walgreens. I haven't heard back from her yet, but it's only been about 15 minutes. (It feels like hours though, when you're in my situation!)

I tried going through getthepill.com this morning, and they had just faxed my Rx over to the clinic pharmacy, but then the pharmacy called to tell me that they can't fill it because it is not from one of their doctors. Luckily that pharmacist was nice and told me other pharmacies where I could possibly get it filled. This was right after I talked to my doctor. The clinic pharmacy closes at 6:00 pm (I thought it was 5) and since it was drawing close and getthepill.com can take up to 8 hours to contact a pharmacy, I began to REALLY FREAK OUT (it's 4:30 here.)

Right now I'm just sitting and trying not to cry out of frustration. I had to work from 7am - 3 pm today, so getting up and trying to do this stuff earlier was out of the question. And I work at a hotel, and was the only one on. NOT really the best place to be making frantic phone calls to your Dr.

....and my mom *just* called me and told me she knows what is going on, she said, "it's mother's intuition."

Could this get any worse? I shouldn't say that, because it really could.

Thanks for understanding me, those of you who responded. The last thing I need right now is a lecture or reminder of just how stupid I was . . . this freaking out is punishment enough.
sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
cstars124
post Aug 7 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Can I just say that this is one of the reasons why i LOVE planned parenthood?

The first and only time I ever needed plan b, i was able to just explain why I needed it, got a physical and got the pill. No judgement, whatsoever. And being 20 at the time, I really appreciated the fact that they took my phone number and asked if they needed to call me back, could they say it was planned parenthood? Cause at that point in time, no. No they couldn't.

+Quote Post
greenbean
post Aug 7 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow, erica, your story sounds a lot like mine. I was on BC for ages then stopped after a long-term relationship had ended. The next time I had sex I totally forgot I was off bc and drunkenly, stupidly, went unprotected (I had been so used to condem-less sex, condoms just werent on my mind).
Luckily, after several phone calls, I found a pharm that sells Plan B. I wanted to kiss those pharmacists!

Good luck erica and dynamite! Dont let those holier-than-thou snots bother you! If anyone gives you shit give em shit back.

--------------------
I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.--John Waters

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 24, 2014 - 04:41 PM