The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
chachaheels
post Nov 30 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

Mary Enig has some fantastic insight on the question of triglycerides, and WHY our bodies need to produce more of them, what purpose they serve (reparative). They are definitely a sign of something going on in our bodies, but not what conventional medicine thinks they signify.

Every one of our cells creates cholesterol, ALL of it is good. When we have what conventional medicine calls "Bad Cholesterol", it is being produced because the body needs to repair its tissues, somewhere in the organism. This is why good, healthy, real fats are so necessary: if you're eating a bunch of rancid oils, or nutritionless oil such as the kind found in processed foots (margarines) then you will run into problems when the body can't source the nutrients from real fats to heal itself.

My suggestion would be to stop worrying about "good" and "bad" cholesterol because there has never once been evidence that changing those test results one way or the other actually makes you healthier (people have had fatal heart attacks after being told to "bring down their cholesterol levels", which they've done "successfully" and kept low for years: it happens all the time). Instead, think about the kinds of fats that make up your nutrient intake in your diet and eliminate all the bad ones--margarines, hydrogenated, all the trans fats, and all the rancid/bleached/stablized/hexane treated/genetically modified source fats. Although commercial butter is not the kind of butter human beings have been thriving on for centuries, it is at least real--stop using margarines of any kind (they are ALL trans fats) and substitute the butter instead. It's not optimal, but it is at least more nutrient rich and far more easily recognized and digested by our bodies. If butter's not your thing, then really pure, expeller extracted fats from sources such as nuts or seeds can be consumed in their raw states (or directly from the nuts or seeds). You'll have to supplement to make up for what you're not getting from butter (the A vitamins, for example, to name but one thing) but you can still get the fats you need without resorting to the deadly processed fats like margarines and shortenings.

"Saturated fats bad, Unsaturated or monounsaturated good" isn't necessarily correct. Some forms of saturated fats are our bodies' preferred nutrient rich food--real butter, for example, or the fat from offal--liver, kidneys, heart, stuff we don't eat enough of anymore (but, if you look hard, are absolutely essential in the diet. That "epidemic" in diabetes we're seeing world wide in aboriginal populations has a great deal to do with them no longer having access to their animal-fat rich/sugar poor traditional foods).

Omega 3 fatty acids are great IF they are well sourced: fish oil from very fatty cold water fish is the absolute preferred source. Fats made from fish liver are the highest quality--Cod Liver Oil, for example, is one of the best animal fats for supplementation. That being said, they need to be taken ALONG WITH specific omega 6 and even omega 9 fats (they are not all the same) in order to complete the nutritional needs for correct and whole prostaglandin production. They are necessary for cholesterol production in the body--because that is what makes all our organs work properly, heart included.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 25 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Omega 3s are thought to reduce blood triglycerides (fats). In some studies omega3s seem to help with blood pressure and irregular heart beat (but in some studies omega 3s seem to worsen irregular heartbeat).

Because all of your other numbers were good, I wonder if your trigyceride level was only high for that particular day of your physical.
Anyway, saturation of fats refers to the amount of hydrogen attached to the fatty acid. When all the possible sites for attachement are filled, the fatty acid is fully saturated. Saturated fatty acids seem more difficult for the body to handle and may increase the risk for cancer/heart disease. Fats that are unsaturated are liquid at room temperature and do not nead heat to melt. A highly polyunsaturated fat (like safflower oil) is liquid even when refrigerated (unlike something highly saturated like beef fat or butter).
When choosing fatty acids on the basis of their saturation level you want monounsaturated fats mostly, then polyunsaturated fats. Saturated fats should be your last choice. HOWEVER, it is even more complicated than that. ALL fats are mixtures of monounsaturated, saturated and polysaturated! THis is all too complicated for me, personally. I just try to eat as much whole, natural foods as possible and stay away from anything but the produce aisle in the grocery store. smile.gif
Agree that lowering your intake of white/denatured carbs is always a great idea. I've always found I gain weight when I start taking in too much of any refined, chemie-laden foods.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 25 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Nov 18 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

i recently had a physical and was found to have a pretty high triglyceride number - 284. my other cholesterol numbers were OK as well as my sugar and thyroid. i've vowed to cut down on white carbs and added ground flax seed to my breakfasts. i can't do fish/fish oil - *barf*. but i'm still confused about the saturated/nonsaturated/trans fats in relation to this number. maybe Dr. Enig has some insight? i'll Google as you suggested, chacha, thank you.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 17 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Late, as always.

There has definitely been an active, deliberate abuse of some standard scientific terms when talking about fats. It's shocking, I know, but the food industry has been known to jump on a bandwagon to curtail consumers' growing awareness, all without lifting a finger to change what they do when they "produce" their food "products". When their products yell out "no trans fats!" you can be sure they've legally changed the definition of trans fats so that their particular brand of cheap deodorized, bleached, and hexaned margarine/corn oil doesn't fall into the definition.

"Trans" fats is a term that refers to fats that have been stabilized through hydrogenation. Rancid fats are also highly dangerous, and they are often used "in place" of "trans fats" now because the new definition of trans fat seems to be "any fat that is solid at room temperature". It's inaccurate.

There are "cis" fats--naturally occuring fats on which hydrogen atoms are bound in the molecule to carbon atoms on one side only--this makes the molecule "bend" (these fats are also known as "curly" fats). Their shape is of maximum importance--they can't really be "stacked" because they're all curly, but they store enzymes, nutrients, etc in that structure so that we can access them for full nourishment absorption and for proper tissue function. Without this, our organs simply do not work optimally.

"Trans" fats are something else entirely. The hydrogen atoms randomly attach to carbon atoms in the molecular chain on both sides--so the fat molecule's shape is not curved, but straight. This allows the fat to appear "solid" (because the molecules can be packed into a "crystal" formation--solid at room temperature). There are rare instances when these fats occur naturally--very rare. As a food for our bodies, it's pretty useless as the straight molecules cannot do the same job as the curly ones--so imagine that if the cis fats our bodies use and store for use are replaced by trans fats--our organs (and consequently, we) are starved of all the enzymes and nutrients they need to function properly.

So, I've essentially said what Ketto said. Dr. Mary Enig is perhaps the most learned and focused lipid expert in the world, she's studied the effects of fat in the diet for more than a quarter of a century and has challenged the "accepted" thought of the medical industry and diet industry on nutrition all that time as well. She's posted all kinds of detailed and not so detailed information on the subject in various places on the web (you can google her name and find all kinds of articles and publications and studies). Dr. Enig was also the first to point out how deadly hydrogenated vegetable fats are--as well as pointing out that the fats in meat and dairy--natural animal fats, in other words--do not have the same deadly effects in the body whatsoever, as long as they are consumed as they were meant to be consumed (in other words--don't pasteurize or homogenize that milk or cheese or yogurt; don't pasteurize the cream to make that butter; don't process that meat other than to make sausage or jerky or cook it)--and also, raise those animals well, with the best foods for their own health too. Don't feed herbivores grain or other meat; don't force chickens to live in crowded conditions under full force artificial light so that all they do is lay eggs, year round. Since so much of "factory farming/agribusiness" alters these foods to such a great extent, you can see how even animal fats have become far less nutrient rich, and far more "empty" foods.

Doesn't make them trans fats, just fats that are a whole lot less useful for us.

Wikipedia's fun, but I've read some Wiki pages that are so full of misinformation and outright nonsense (god, ask someone who's had a Wiki page written about them, just for starters). You don't have to be accurate or precise or truthful to write a Wiki page--it's all open to whomever wishes to create one, whatever their intentions are. I might like to read what a wikipedia page has to say just for fun, but for references, I'd go to some sources with solid credentials instead.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 16 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey Busties: I posted a suggestion to start a breast-feeding thread in the Community Forum and am trying to reach out to the Busties who may be interested. IF you are interested in a breast-feeding thread, please stop by the community forum and leave a reply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 7 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

OMG. My father-in-law (who already thinks I am a nutcase) was just over here asking if he could drive me and my kids over to the Dept of Health to get a H1N1 shot. I declined the invitation. I have the idea he's on the phone to his other son (my brother in law) who is a Doctor so they can discuss my paranoid mistrust of vaccines. Rob is a doctor so EVERYTHING he says/thinks is correct, don't ya know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Nov 7 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks pepper! I just posted that article to facebook and emailed it to my friends.

Does anyone know ant good websites or books for dealing with PCOS/irregular menstrual cycles naturally? I'm thinking of going to see a naturopath but I don't know what's involved or how much it will cost so I'm hoping to be informed first. Thanks!

That's interesting koffee.. I know I was on antibiotics a couple times as a child and I definitely have neither athsma nor allergies... I also grew up a few km away from one of the largest oil refining centres in alberta, so maybe I was just lucky to be born with really healthy lungs to begin with!

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 5 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

The great link on vaccines made me think of something just now: For decades, alternative health practitioners have been saying that antibiotics cause permanent health problems when given to small children (asthma and allergies). A few years ago I heard a story on NPR that focused on a Journal of Medicine article concurring with this research. It seems even one or two rounds of antibiotics can cause problems with small children. When I look at my friends kids, among the families that chronically use antibioics for colds, minor ear infections, etc. EVERY one of them seems to have atleast one child diagnosed with asthma, allergies or both. I can also see the correlation between cows milk and chronic ear infections. I know families who use day cares are naturally going to have more sick days and this explains SOME of the ear infections...but it doesn't explain why families who don't use dairy almost never have problems with ear infections unless they have a kid with an unusally short ear canal or other physical anomale. I can't believe our peds are still over-prescribing antibiotics when the consequences are so severe... Personally, I tell my pediatrician that I do not want antibiotics given to my kids unless it is absolutely necessary.
Has anyone else read "Having Healthy Kids In Spite of Your Doctor" (title probably not exactly right)?? I love that book...

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 1 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #30

Thanks, x-posted!

This is such a terrific article. I know there are a ton of links to stuff about the flu vaccine but this one is the best I've read so far. It will really open your eyes, it's that terrific. No hype, just the top medical researchers weighing in on a weighty issue...

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200911/brownlee-h1n1

“Tom Jefferson has taken a lot of heat just for saying, ‘Here’s the evidence: it’s not very good,’” says Majumdar. “The reaction has been so dogmatic and even hysterical that you’d think he was advocating stealing babies.” Yet while other flu researchers may not like what Jefferson has to say, they cannot ignore the fact that he knows the flu-vaccine literature better than anyone else on the planet. He leads an international team of researchers who have combed through hundreds of flu-vaccine studies. The vast majority of the studies were deeply flawed, says Jefferson. “Rubbish is not a scientific term, but I think it’s the term that applies.” Only four studies were properly designed to pin down the effectiveness of flu vaccine, he says, and two of those showed that it might be effective in certain groups of patients, such as school-age children with no underlying health issues like asthma. The other two showed equivocal results or no benefit.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Oct 31 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #31

brown delicious

Pepper, maybe trying cross posting your quiry in the Veggie Tales thread to get some more feedback.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 30 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh interesting. I just tried googling too and didn't come up with much. Where's chacha when you need her, I bet she knows. tongue.gif

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 30 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #33

Nope, there are definately transfats in meat and dairy.

This from wiki

The US National Dairy Council has asserted that the trans fats present in animal foods are of a different type than those in partially hydrogenated oils, and do not appear to exhibit the same negative effects.[37] While a recent scientific review agrees with the conclusion (stating that "the sum of the current evidence suggests that the Public health implications of consuming trans fats from ruminant products are relatively limited") it cautions that this may be due to the low consumption of trans fats from animal sources compared to artificial ones.[4]

I've been googling and asking around but I can't find any research to back up the claim that these naturally occuring transfats are, in fact, harmless. I'm wondering too about the effect of heat on transfats in animal products. We're vegetarian but I'm not adverse to cutting out all animal products altogether. I don't agree with factory farming and can't afford free range organic and don't feel it neccessary to eat anyhow. Eggs and cheese can be tasty but I can easily do without.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 30 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper, from what I understand there's no such thing as a naturally occurring transfat. It's technically not naturally occurring, but during the hydrogenation process, the atoms in margarines and shortenings change positions on the chain causing "trans formation" instead of naturally occuring "cis formation". Even though they're toxic, our bodies don't recognize that and we absorb the trans fat causing cells to become partially hydrogenated essentially. Partially hydrogenated fats made from veggie oils block the use of essential fatty acids and is associated with a lot of diseases. Unbelievably, people still think things like margarine are healthier than butter. I've always been told by doctors that no amount of trans fat is really safe.

But unless the fats you're using have been hydrogenated, then transfats won't occur. The fats in meat and dairy are usually saturated fat, found in animal fat. These are fats that we need and are healthy to us. I wouldn't worry about meat and dairy.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 29 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #35

Hey there ladies, long time no see!
I have been doing some research (trying to anyhow) on naturally occuring transfats with little luck. Does anyone have info specific to the health impact of transfats in meat and dairy? I have run across vague statements that it's not the same as manufactured transfats but no research referenced to back it up. Help! Granted I'm not the best at internet searches but I've been at it for a while and am still fairly empty handed. Anyone? Thanks!

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Oct 27 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #36

BUSTie

Oh oh so excited to see there is an alternative health thread on here! bump bumpity bump!

+Quote Post
solaria
post Apr 4 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #37

BUSTie

I've heard of belly piercings vaguely affecting one's health. I imagine it has something to do with magnetic currents being altered by the metal, kind of putting a kink in the energy field. I doubt it would be the sole cause of digestive issues, but could probably contribute in some way if there is another imbalance.

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Apr 3 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Well I had the belly piercings for 14 years and I've had stomach problems for who knows how long? I know a few years back I found out I had a problem with yeast but found out that birth control can play a huge factor in yeast growing inside. I had been on medication for years before that due to indigestion problems.

I haven't had severe problems since quitting the birth control but it always seems like there is something minor going on with my stomach, but can I honestly say it could be associated with the piercings. No. It's been a long time with those piercings and last night I decided to just take them out and see if anything makes a difference.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Apr 3 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

Are you experiencing any health problems in particular, which seem to have started when you received the piercings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Apr 2 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

So here's an interesting question that I've been wondering about...

I have quite a few piercings and I'm wondering if there may be a link to some digestive problems and the piercings?? I've been reading some things that say a piercing can cause problems with your health but I'm not sure about this. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't want to post in the tattoos and piercings thread since this is more of a medicinal question but then it's also based on my piercings.

I don't know anything about chakras or acupunture pressure points and stuff but I have heard and read that even earrings can pose problems.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 27, 2014 - 02:26 AM