Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contact Lens Advice!
simmo
post Feb 27 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Hi starship

Don't give up with your eyes - the prescription range is increasing all the time and I am certain you will be suitable one day. There are other options as well such as Implantable contact lenses and refractive lens exchange which can treat a higher prescription range. These 2 options are definitely more expensive though. I found the following website which describes laser eye surgery and also implantable contact lenses and refractive lens exchange. It may be helpful: laser eye surgery
rolleyes.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 20 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #2

brown delicious

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 20 2011, 04:46 AM) *
I went to rub my eye makeup off with a cottonball, AND A GODDAMN LENS WAS STILL IN MY EYE! I wore two lenses, one was just up under my lid! WTF?!

Yeah. That happened to me once. Pretty weird experience. I have no logical explanation for why it happened. Just got creeped out. blink.gif

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 20 2011, 04:46 AM
Post #3

Big Fat Bitch

Sweet jebus! I put in my right contact tonight, then my left. My eyes were a wee bit watery, so I dabbed them with a hanky & suddenly my right one was gone, but I couldn't find it. Not on the hanky, on my face, my shirt, my pants, the counter, etc. So I put in a fresh one & went on my way. I came home, I took out my right, then my left. I went to rub my eye makeup off with a cottonball, AND A GODDAMN LENS WAS STILL IN MY EYE! I wore two lenses, one was just up under my lid! WTF?!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Nov 23 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Ugh starship I take it back, I just talked to my brother in law and he saidtthat he wasnt a candidate and his eyes are not nearly as bad as mine so now I feel all nervous again. I can't even wear contacts now and don't know what to do. I feel actually depressed about that. Guess I should wait and see what the doctor says before I get all upset. I never thought about wearing contacts and glasses- that is actually a great idea starship! If only I could wear the damn contacts I would totally do that.

Sounds like you do a lot better with your contacts than I ever did- I wore them a lot more than that and never took a day off unless I was forced to like I am now. How many hours do you think you wear them a day? I should have been more careful : (

I wore glasses since I was in kindergarten and it was always changing too! I remember being the only kid with glasses and i didn't like it h then and it was nowhere near as bad as it is now.

I hope the technology does improve and something can be done for people like us. I'll let you know what the doctor says about the lasik anyways though cause i'm still gonna ask.

+Quote Post
starship
post Nov 23 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah you're lucky, my prescription isn't suitable:(. I'm just hoping that they'll develop better technology and techniques in the future that will save me lol. My eyes are worse than yours and keep creeping up a little each time. I'm soo worried because I know contact lenses are only made up to a certain level, after that I dont know what I'll do:S. I've even been thinking that maybe I'll start wearing contact lenses AND a pair of glasses to make up my vision. anything's better than wearing my ugly disfiguring glasses I have to use if I have no lenses in.
I think they just say that you're vision should have settled a bit because if you have it done and then your eyes keep getting worse I guess you'd need glasses again? My optician said with most people like me it settles more as you get into your 20s (I started wearing glasses when I was a kid and needed new ones virtually every year lol).
I don't wear my lenses whenever I'm indoors and try to have at least one whole day of just glasses each week. and I am super careful about sterilising and stuff too.
People with perfect vision don't know how lucky they are!

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Nov 23 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks starship you just gave me hope! If I typed my prescription in correctly then I am still a candidate even though my left eye is like - 7.5! My eyes have been changing a little bit though but by a very little so I'm not sure how strict they are about that. It would be so disappointing cause I finally feel like I have a solution to this horrible contact dilemma. I honestly would be all right with wearing contacts if I didn't have so many problems with them and now I might be facing a chronic problem that will make me never be able to wear them again- which scares the crap outta me! Hopefully the eye doctor will tell me what he thinks about lasik and if he thinks I can do it I might try it as soon as xmas vacation cause i don't get a lot of time off and really don't want to suffer with painful eyes from GPC any longer.

Starship you and me are so similar on so many things and i've worn contacts for about 11 years without any problems. If you don't have GPC (Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis) yet, then I pray you never get it and here are some ways to prevent it. Basically this problem is caused by a reaction on the inside of your eyelid from the mechanical friction of the lens- and the thicker the lens the more likely it is to happen (I'm assuming cause your eyes are bad like mine that your contact lens is pretty thick). Anyways, the abrasion from the lens causes an allergic-like reaction and it makes contacts IMPOSSIBLE to wear. I can't keep mine in in the left eye for longer than 5 min. it doesn't actually do any damage to your eye, but it is so painful and uncomfortable that you are forced to take the lenses out. Some people can get this from a reaction to the preservatives in contact solution too or from not sterilizing lenses enough and getting all the proteins off. I know in my case that isn't what is causing it though cause I'm hyper-vigilant about cleaning my lenses and i've switched to clear care and also use Biotrue solution-which is supposed to help with GPC- and STILL got it back again. Then once you have the reaction you go on a regimen of steroid drops and can't wear your contacts and it can take months or years to clear up, or may never clear up! So if you haven't been cursed with this problem yet I would recommend giving your eyes plenty of breaks from your contacts and a lot of people say that switching to daily lenses really helps cause the lenses aren't as thick. Also, use clear care and rinse your lenses with solution that doesn't have preservatives, like sterile saline solution.

But anyways I really hope you never ever get this- it has been a nightmare and so uncomfortable! Can you believe we found something we'd rather have other than bigger boobs hahah! Give me perfect eyes anyday!

+Quote Post
starship
post Nov 23 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.optimax.co.uk/are_you_suitable.aspx

Type your prescription in there to get a rough idea of whether you might be suitable (although I'm not entirely sure if the American system is identical to eye prescriptions here:S). I did it a while ago and wasn't because I'm as blind as a bat:(. I've actually considered the lens implants you can get if youre prescription's high- even though it comes with more risks/complications etc- that's how desperate I am to be able to see normally! Trouble is that because I know how horrible it is not being able to see, it makes me even more scared of things that might damage my sight than perhaps other people would be. If I was suiatble for laser surgery I'd book up right now. Your prescription also has to have been the same for a couple of years I think, whereas mine usually changes a little each year, so that's another thing thats stopped me looking into it all further.
I'd definitely choose new eyes over new boobs any day. If I could have a miracle that'd be it.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Nov 22 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Argggg back with another flare-up of GPC and I can't wear my contacts again! I hate hate hate wearing glasses! I think it seriously damages my self-esteem. I was sorta ok doing it before cause there was a light at the end of the tunnel at least, but now that this allergic reaction came back I don't know what to do. I'm going to see my eye doc in a week and I'm going to ask him if I am a candidate for lasik- I just can't take this crap anymore. I'm not sure if I'm a candidate though because I have horrible horrible astigmatism in the eye that I need the surgery in and I don't know if they can do anything with that. Does anyone know of anybody who had lasik with astigmatism of at least
-7.5?? I heard the lasik technology has improved, but I'm not sure how much. At this point I am feeling completely desperate because I just want to have my normal face back without these damn bottle-cap glasses. Please eye fairy bring me new healthy eyes!

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 16 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Weird...they look kind of neat but I'd probably only use them for a costume or something. My younger brother has a condition where one of his eyes is far sighted and the other is normal/slightly near sighted so he only really has to wear one contact. He has blue eyes, so when he was a teenager he would get one green one and have different coloured eyes. tongue.gif

I love contact lenses but I'm thinking about looking into laser surgery in the next few years. Since I have T1diabetes I don't know if that will make a difference but it would be nice to wake up in the morning with 20/20 vision again.

For two years I was using the Night and Day contacts that you wear for 30 days straight. I originally got them because I was backpacking but I had to stop using them recently. I was having issues where they would somehow scratch my eye and cause a lot of sensitivity. I was really disappointed because I COULD wake up in the morning with 20/20 vision. So I'm back to my regular lenses. I just had my 'scrip updated for the first time in years and holy cow, what a difference. I feel like I can see for miles.

I also just got new glasses after almost 8 years. My old ones were cute but were child sized and too small for my face. My new one are similar but I actually enjoy wearing them out of the house. My insurance coveres $200 but I'm switching to new insurance in November so I'm going to go back to my doctors and get a 2nd really cute pair of cat eye glasses that were my 2nd choice.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 16 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #10

Big Fat Bitch

How are everybody's peepers doing?

I use the Clear Care, I like it a lot.

I do not know why, but I find myself intrigued by these weird anime/doll styled lenses. I guess GaGa wears a pair in 'Bad Romance' but I've never seen it.

I read an odd feminist article about them that initially decried the the fact that women are ordering them online from abroad without the aid of an optician (It is illegal to sell contacts in the US without a valid scrip.) & the potential health risks posed. But then she followed it up with, "But, quite apart from the health risks associated with circle lenses, I think what actually bothers me most about this story is the question of why young women want to make themselves look like some sort of manga-child sex object." Seriously? We're all entitled to our opinion, but sometimes I think some people read too much into things.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Sep 10 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh great to hear you like it thanks ketto! I'll be trying it in a few days so hopefully it will work just as well!

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 9 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Just chiming in to second the solution recommendation. I've been using that type for a few years now and love it. Regular solution makes it seem like I can always feel the contacts for some reason.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Sep 9 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

hahahahhaha starship you think just like me! if i'm in a place where people don't know me, it's like i'm free to "be myself" and look however i wouldn't normally look because those people don't know me any differently. It's like i have to uphold to this standard i set for myself when i'm around people that have known me for years that doesn't include glasses and my curly hair, etc. i wore my glasses to the first day of my new rotation for school and no one there knew me and i wasn't worried about it at all- it's just when theres the potential to be around people i know that i care, it's so stupid. so when you start a new job you should definitely start wearing your glasses, then you'll always feel free to do it without caring- such a good feeling!

but yeah to get back to the contact vs. glasses thing, this has definitely helped me get over it. but just so this doesn't happen to you or anyone else, i just went to the ophthalmologist and they told me that the best way to clean lenses so nothing gets on it that can give you ulcers or an infection is to soak your lenses in a hydrogen peroxide solution instead of the Bausch & Lomb saline solution or others like that. They recommended "Clear Care"- which you can get just at the grocery store or CVS or wherever ( I'm not sure where you're from but that's where you can get it if you're in the states) and it comes with a special case that you have to use with it. Wasn't really much more expensive than other solutions and I'll do anything to preserve my ability to wear contacts. i'm going to be so hypervigilant from now on and not wear my lenses too much, cause the doc said my inflammation also couldve been from overwear. But yea that solution should be better for anyone who tends to have problems or worries about having contact lens problems like me.

+Quote Post
starship
post Sep 4 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Ah I'm so glad it went ok for you! IT must be such a relief to feel like you don't have to rely on your contacts all the time now. I decided a while ago that the next time I start a new job (or something like that) I'm gonna wear my glasses sometimes so I can finally leave the house without contacts. I'd feel too self-conscious (I already am anyway) doing it somewhere where people have known me a long time, but if people are new then they wont know any different and will just see me wearing glasses sometimes as normal.
I started wearing them when I was 14 and I kind of wish I'd not started so young because I've never really had a chance to be comfortable and confident wearing my glasses. now most people in my life don't even know I'm short sighted!
I've found that getting smaller frames helps- because less of your face is covered and you don't get that 'coke bottle' effect that you do with large lenses. and also ones with wide arms(or whatever the ear parts are called) that cover the edge of the glass so you cant see how thick it is. Still dont look great, but I s'pose every little helps.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Sep 4 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks Starship! And you're right it has helped me overcome this fear. No one even really noticed that I was wearing my glasses like AP said and the people who did were just like "oh, you're wearing glasses". It was no big deal and nothing like the horrors of high school. I'm going out with them now and I feel ok doing it. Still feel a little exposed but I don't even mind that much since it didn't matter at all. I totallly blew this one up in my head. So keep that in mind if you ever find yourself in this kind of situation. It's actually kind of empowering because now I feel like I can wear my glasses whenever pretty much and who cares.

I've spent so much money on my eyes too and I have Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis- which is pretty much an allergic reaction to contacts that flares up more in the spring/summer. I had to pay so much money this summer when I got that to clear it up. I wasn't supposed to be wearing contacts for a month in July, but I still wore them in one of my eyes that didn't have a bad reaction because I was too scared to do what I'm doing now. And I hate how the frames look cute without the lenses and then you go pick up your glasses all excited that they will finally look good on you and once the lenses are in you look all freaky again! But oh well I'm trying really hard to care less and less about what other people think about how I look in all areas of life, so this jump-started it a little. You should try it for a day, you'll feel much better about wearing your glasses!

+Quote Post
starship
post Sep 2 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Aw good luck tomorrow honey, I can imagine how much you're hating it right now. On the plus side maybe it'll be like overcoming a bit of a fear and after this you wont feel so conscious about people seeing you in your glasses sometimes. And like you said, once you start wearing your contacts again people will think you look extra good, when really you just look how you normally do.
I always wanted laser surgery, as soon as I heard about it. Since my teens I had the idea in the back of my mind that one day I'd get it and all this glasses/contacts rubbish would be over. But when I finally reached the age where I was old enough I realised that they can only fix up to a certain prescription and my was too bad to get it done:(.
All this is expensive too! I have to pay for contacts every month, yearly eye tests and not to mention all the money I've spent trying to get a pair of glasses that look nice(impossible!). What's worse is that they always look really nice when I try them on in the shop (with the clear glass in) but as soon as my lenses are put in the frames- they're ruined. I get so jealous when I see women looking nice in glasses, like the sort people have naughty secretary fantasies about lol.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Sep 1 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Starship I think you are my long lost twin! Yes that is exactly how I feel! My eyes are really big and definitely the best feature on my face and these glasses make my eyes look like little bug eyes! I've tried to get my lenses thinned too but it always ends up looking the same and my face is sooo weird-looking right now. Def not looking forward to starting school tomorrow like this. When I went into work today all my co-workers said they didn't recognize me at first cause of the glasses- it makes me look that different! I know that my friends won't care what I look like and I'm the only one who will really notice or care, but it still makes me self-conscious of course. I feel like I've always been on this continuous search to find the right pair of glasses that would actually look cute like most people's, but yeah prescription is much much too strong for that. I rely so much on my contact lenses and have never been able to not wear them in 11 years. Hope this doesn't become a chronic problem or I'm gonna have to find a way to get lasix if surgery could even fix my horrible astigmatism.

Poor funnybird, no eye make-up either! At least I can still do that but you can barely tell cause my eyes shrink so much. We are definitely in the same boat right now : ( But at least you have that beautiful pregnancy glow and next time someone says you look "tired" I would remind them that you are in your 3rd trimester damnit! Don't we all look "tired" at that point?? We just need to get through this and remember like AP said that its only temporary. Then maybe people will notice how good we look when we're back to our old selves haha!

+Quote Post
funnybird
post Sep 1 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, I feel your pain buttercups and starship! I'm stuck wearing my glasses at the moment due to a stye on my eyelid (which the pharmacist won't give me any ointment for because I'm pregnant), AND I can't wear eye make-up either. Today two people asked me if I feel okay because apparently I look so "tired and washed out" without mascara. Ugh! I have a really strong prescription too, and no amount of money spent on fashionable frames or compressed lenses can disguise it. I can only hope my enormous third-trimester bump draws attention from my face!

--------------------
What I'm thinking is delicate. If I breathe I might lose it...

+Quote Post
starship
post Sep 1 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(buttercups @ Sep 1 2010, 02:33 AM) *
Anyways, now I'm forbidden to wear contacts for a few weeks and I hate hate hate to wear my glasses. I have a strong prescription that makes my eyes look really tiny and deforms my face. It sounds ridiculous but ever since people in high school told me how bad I look in glasses I've been so embarrassed to wear them that I don't even like to have them on in my own house around my family. How am I gonna go out in public like this? Did I mention it's my first week back at school? So thurs I'll have to face all my friends. I know I'm making it into a bigger deal than it is, but I am just so self-conscious with glasses. At least my glasses where it makes my face look so different and shrinks up my eyes. : (

Oh my Goodness Buttercups I think you're my actual twin. I have a very very high prescription and look AWFUL in glasses. I've tried all different types of frames, designer ones/different colours/materials/shapes/sizes, and paid ridiculous amounts to get lenses thinned down- but nothing works! It's just impossible for glasses to look good with the lenses I need in them. I wouldn't mind wearing glasses at all if they weren't so disfiguring and just looked like normal glasses. I hate anyone seeing me in them, even family like you said, and feel soo self-conscious with them on.
I think they probably look even worse because my eyes are like the redeeming feature of my face, and behind my glasses they just disappear and my whole face goes out of proportion and just looks damn weird. And I'm not just being paranoid lol- it's true!

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Sep 1 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Hahahah ovaries gathered! Persi I can wear eye-makeup thank god! Just takes me right back to high school even though I'm 25 freakin years old! Ridiculous!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: November 21, 2014 - 04:21 AM