I think we can almost all agree that thinspo and its cousin fitspo (that tries to not be rude but still manages to be so rude) are both kind of the worst. The intense "no excuses" attitudes reflected by bold fonts saying something aggressive over images of impossibly thin women sweating, is just annoying, not to mention dangerously supportive of negative self-talk, detrimental to self-love, and just bottom line not what we need to see or hear. There is enough pressure for our bodies to look a certain way from sources we don't exactly choose to look at, and standards we never picked. Why also create and surround yourself with images that make you feel like shit for eating a cookie and/or skipping the gym?
So here's a round up of some not-exactly fitspo for you to hang on your fridge this swimsuit season, to remind you to trash the fad diets, along with your body-shaming, and remain focused on what matters - treating your body with respectful loving care.
1. Eradicate self hate
2. Rihanna wants you to accept yourself!
3. How the eff did thigh gap even become a thing anyway?
4. The only reason to climb a mountain, really
5. A mantra for life
6. Because you should do things that make you say yay!
7. Uhm, how even?! #BAMF
8. Hang this everywhere
Seriously considering making this a business card to hand out to people.
9. Because any body can be strong
10. Don't assume what healthy looks like
11. *no caption needed*
12. Work your body, clear your mind, heal your heart - because you really are worth it!
13. How it should always be!
14. Self-acceptance is your most important foundation
15. Who needs a scale anyway?
Maybe you could also just get rid of the scale....maybe hang it on the wall? Feminist art?!
17. Ain't it the truth
18. Sometimes it's not hard work to be good to yourself!
20. Because it's the only thing you will have with you at all times while you are on this Earth (and it's not separate from you!)
Bottom line, whatever fitness journey you want to be on, be on it! No one has a right to tell you what is right or wrong for you, as long as what you are doing is healthy and not putting you in any danger, physically or mentally. Use whatever inspiration you need to, to do what you want to do with your health and your body, and good luck with loving yourself for all that you are because it's not an easy task, but it's one of the most important things you can do in your life.
Images via Lift Me Up Fitness, Arthlete, Healthy Maddy, Sex +, Vegan Healthy, Embrace the Curve, Saying Quotes, Hope In Healing, MyLife-MyLove-MyBody, Gurl, Pinterest, #StopFitspiration, Fit Girl Training
The opinions expressed on the BUST blog are those of the authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the position of BUST Magazine or its staff.