“Hello? Yes, it is me, bell hooks. Yes, I am here to tell you to cut that white supremacist capitalist patriarchy shit out. Uh huh, thanks, okay buhbye.”
It may not be as good as the lady herself, but yes, that is pretty much what is going on here. This amazing new Tumblr page provides those who love a good ol’ bell hooks hoot every once in a while with pure gold; The Feminist Phone Intervention is a godsend for anyone and everyone who felt inclined to give out their digits to some random dude who asked for them because they were just feeling nice that night. Well, it's our lucky day because the next morning nuisance is over; now, you have the option to give out a number (669- 221- 6251) that will automatically generate a famed bell hooks quote to the unwanted admirer who texts/calls you.
Here is the site's philosophy:
- because we’re raised to know it’s safer to give a fake phone number than to directly reject an aggressive guy.
- because we’re raised to know that evasion or rejection can be met with violence.
- because women are still threatened and punished for rejecting advances.
- because (669) UGH-ASIF, WTF-DUDE, and MAJR-SHADE were taken.
- because why give any old fake number, when you can have bell hooks screen your calls?
…so next time, just give out this number: (669) 221-6251) tech to protect.
Wow. A web page after my own heart.
Please consider donating because this fem tech genius is blowing UP. Also, any money raised beyond the cost of paying the phone bill will be donated to the The National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health. Could this BE any cooler?
Image courtesy of courier-journal