Here at BUST, the holiday season is upon us and preparations for the most wonderful time of the year are in full swing! On the cover, we’ve got Hollywood veteran and online feminist rabble-rouser Rose McGowan plotting world domination with her patriarchy-smashing pal Amber Tamblyn. Inside, we’ve got exclusive interviews with Megan Mullally, Constance Wu, and the Strokes’ Nick Valensi; a revealing biography of legendary female surrealist Leonora Carrington; ’80s punk rock skate crew the Hags; and of course, our show-stopping Holiday Gift Guide!
And get ready for even more tasty tidbits, including:
*Winter looks modeled by Princess Nokia
*Kill your cookie swap with the cutest morsels evs
*The scoop on online therapy
*An insider’s guide to Manchester, U.K.
* The delicious world of literary food blogs
*Terrific tomboy fashion
Rose the Riveting
Rose McGowan’s evolution from movie star to social media feminist warrior is super inspiring. And she’s just getting started. By Amber Tamblyn
The BUST Holiday Gift Guide
Our editor’s picks for the most original, memorable, and affordable buys of the season.
Pulling the Trigger
As debates over “trigger warnings” rage across academia, even feminists are left wondering, Do they hurt more than they help? By Erika W. Smith
Painter Leonora Carrington had a life that was just as weird and wild as her Surrealist canvases. By Lynn Peril
First Good Golly, Miss Mullally
From Will & Grace to Parks & Rec, Megan Mullally has made a career playing the most outrageous women on TV. By Jenni Miller
Hell on Wheels
Rolling down memory lane with all-female skate-punk gang the Hags. By Emily Savage
The Princess Diaries
Sporty winter looks modeled by hip-hop trailblazer Princess Nokia. Interview by Eleonor Botoman, Photographed by Danielle St. Laurent, Styled by Marysol Ortiz
- Fresh Off the Boat’s Constance Wu; Iranian women fight for bike rights; female cinematographers band together; and more.
- The Hotness: A treasure chest of pop culture gems. By Emily Rems
- Boy du Jour: The Strokes’ Nick Valensi takes center stage. By Eliza Thompson
- Bra-ometer: Feminist news at a glance. By Solange Castellar
- Museum of Femoribilia: “Look for the union label.” By Lynn Peril
- Pop Quiz: Ella Fitzgerald forever! By Emily Rems
- The cutest cookies in the universe; rediscovering snail mail; Justina Blakeney’s “Jungalow” style; and more.
- Eat Me: Super easy pot pie. By Chef Rossi
- You Go, Girl: Get away to Manchester, U.K. By Grace Fletcher-Hackwood
- Style advice from journalist Jenna Wortham; DIY toothpaste; new lines from Courtney Love and Lisa Frank; and more.
- Good Stuff: Cozy accoutrements. By Stephanie J.
- Buy or Diy: Say it with a slogan sweatshirt. By Callie Watts
THE BUST GUIDE
- Music: Reviews; plus the return of Kate Bush!
- Movies: Toni Erdmann finds a way to Always Shine when she’s Loving.
- Books: Reviews; plus memorable memoirs.
- Protect yourself before you hit record; and more.
- Questions for the Queen: Bad head and getting rough in bed.
- One-Handed Read: The Friendly Skies. By Fanny Bae
- Whore-O-Scopes: Hey baby, what’s your sign? By Jonna Bond
- Party Pix: Sweet snaps from the BUST Craftacular at Maker Faire!
- X Games: Defying Gravity. By Tracy Bennett
- The Last Laugh: With friends like Tammy’s, who needs enemies? By Esther Pearl Watson