The deadline to apply for the Sarah Jacobson Film Grant is December 31st. Grants between $1000 and $2000 will be awarded to three film projects that embody the spirit of Sarah Jacobson, the independent filmmaker behind Mary Jane’s Not a Virgin Anymore and I Was a Teenage Serial Killer. Says the grant’s website:
"Sarah’s films reflected her punk sensibilities, her feminist beliefs, and her dedication to DIY principles.
After her death, filmmaker Sam Green and Sarah’s mother established the Sarah Jacobson Film Grant for young women 'whose work embodies some of the things that Sarah stood for: a fierce DIY approach to filmmaking, a radical social critique, and a thoroughly underground sensibility.'"
To apply for a grant, you will need to send the following materials (and no more than the following materials) by December 31st:
1. A synopsis/treatment of the project you wish to fund (no more than 3 pages). This should include a detailed description of the film — its subject, style, and structure—and of your intended audience and distribution strategy. Please also explain why your project is appropriate for this grant. Send 6 copies.
2. A simple one-page budget for the project. Also include a paragraph describing other funding you have received for this project and how you would use the money from this grant. Send 6 copies.
3. A short bio for the filmmaker with reliable contact information. Send 6 copies.
4. A single work sample: either a trailer or rough-cut of the project you’re applying for the grant with, or an example of previous work. The work sample should be on DVD. Send 6 copies.
5. A self-addressed stamped postcard if you would like to get notified that your stuff arrived.
6. A CLEARLY PRINTED sheet of contact information including your name, email, phone, and address.
Sarah Jacobson Film Grant
c/o Mikki Halpin
583 Driggs Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211
Submissions will also be considered for a 2012 film/media festival produced in part by feminist group Permanent Wave.
For more information on this year's grants and past winners, to get inspired, or to make a donation to the Sarah Jacobson Film Grant, click here.
[Sarah Jacobson Film Grant]
Image via Filmmaker Magazine.
The opinions expressed on the BUST blog are those of the authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the position of BUST Magazine or its staff.